Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
VW parts houses either don't have, or charge ludicrous prices for, m8x1.25 56mm exhaust studs. I mean, like $6 apiece.

Well, would you look at that.

Also, is there anything better or cheaper than this Time-Sert kit? EZ-Lok isn't available on Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

What an appropriate price for a fine automobile such as yours! :monocle:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah, really happy with that find.

Also, since the bus is (again) going to be parked for the week because I don't want to burn up an exhaust valve, I took some lovely photos.

And the beetle:

(the wax I did last year is finally failing)

I also took a lovely video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lsjgvvmrl8

And the kitten has finally learned to use the big water fountain. In-between destroying everything in sight, he'll sit and stare at the other cats doing things, and then emulate them. It's so cute.

I watched him watch me pet another one of our cats, Isis. When Isis laid down and rolled over to get her belly scratched, he procedded to awkardly lay down on his back and roll over, too (but keeping his eyes locked on her to judge if he was doing it right) :kimchi:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
What did the vet have to say about him?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Blood tests negative, but he has an eye infection. Also they wait until 6+ weeks to neuter.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Dude, thanks a ton for this. If I hadn't known about the heater channels I wouldn't have thought they were a problem, let along a huge one.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Ugh, here goes the play money

And, let's look at tomorrow's temperature

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Geirskogul posted:

And, let's look at tomorrow's temperature

Yeah, I feel your pain. Projected high of 116 here. 106 at 10 AM. I think I'll be staying indoors and home today.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I'm pleased to share that I chose this weekend to be in San Diego instead of Phoenix. I think it's supposed to get up to a blistering 73 today.

:v:

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
"It's a dry heat" doesn't apply any more when it's well over 100F. That's just drat hot.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It does to a limited extent because your sweat actually evaporates eventually, but... yeah it's loving hot. Made sure to hammer out my yard work so it was all done by 10AM.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

The Locator posted:

I'm pleased to share that I chose this weekend to be in San Diego instead of Phoenix. I think it's supposed to get up to a blistering 73 today.

:v:

That's already too hot :(

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
poo poo, I overslept. Meant to start in the morning.

Instead of doing my usual mechanics coveralls, I might lay a disposable blanket down instead and stay in shorts and a tee shirt.

A preheated oven is also a "dry heat." And you cook turkeys in those.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Wrar posted:

"It's a dry heat" doesn't apply any more when it's well over 100F. That's just drat hot.

My cutoff here for being outside for things is about 107. Below that and I can handle light work. Above 107 and it just feels like I'm being cooked to death.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Kit:

Tools. MY BODY IS READY

New studs:

Compared to old:

While I was down there, I noticed I had a remanufactured alternator:

Removing the exhaust, along with the PO's (and my) futile attempts to stem this exhaust leak.

:stonk:

Annealing the copper exhaust gaskets, because Amazon forgot to include mine in this last order:

Step 1: remove fuckered stud (sometimes the longest step)

Step 2: Drill out hole

Step 3: Counterbore hole

Step 4: Tap hole

(Step 4a: clean out tapped hole)

Step 5: Using insert tool and plenty of oil, thread in the Time-Sert insert. Insert will initially thread in easily, then it will become difficult for 3-5 turns at the tool expands the last few threads in the insert to lock it into place.

Step 6: Using high-temperature red loctite, thread in new exhaust stud.

The exhaust gaskets were cool by now, so I flattened them out and gave them a very light sanding, and will re-anneal them before installation.

(pictured: sanding not complete)

Also, note how the PO or PPO or PPPO has already done this to the other cylinder:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Okay, so I had to time-sert two other studs, as they also spun out when I went to do the final nut tightening on them after installing the tailpipe (both sides are loosely installed, tailpipe is installed and tightened, then you tighten the manifolds to the head -- otherwise they often are too "narrow" to allow the tailpipe to go on).

After that, there was one broken off stud left. Vice grips weren't cutting it, and I tried torching the area and cooling over and over, along with penetrating fluid. Eventually, I went on a vision quest for a stud extractor set.

Harbor freight was a no-go, so was Home Depot. Autozone and the local Oreilly's didn't have one, either. Defeated, I turned around to go home, but stopped off at a NAPA just to check. They didn't have one in stock, either, but on the way out I spotted a yellow Irwin blister pack on their "will call" order wall. There it was! Exactly what I needed!

I asked about it, but the cashier said it was a customer pickup. On the way out, the manager called me back and said that the guy was supposed to pick it up weeks ago, so he let me purchase it.

Ta da!

Armed with the 8mm extractor, I attacked the stud after another heating and cooling round.

It snapped off nearly at the base of the head.

Having wasted $30, I decided to call Time of Death and just went on with the project. I know that may seem like bad ownership, but when I started this project last weekend each cylinder only had ONE stud holding the exhaust on (4 total), and now only ONE was missing (7 total). I'm calling that a success anyway, and resumed reassembly.

I also used two, full tubes of that silica-based exhaust sealing paste on every joint and crack and rattle.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Alternately:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJi3G2oUOfY

I'm pretty sure this thing isn't even snap-on (I haven't managed to find it in their catalog) but a bunch of aftermarket chinese companies seem to make them. Maybe the impact action would have gotten it out easier than trying to twist it out with one of those extractors?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I looked up buying one of those, but there's really not enough room around the stud for it to fit. It's even on Amazon Prime Now in phoenix and I could have had it in one day.

E: also thank you CA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PYt0SDnrBE

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jun 5, 2016

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Probably not viable for you, but if you ever really have to do something on your car/bus on a weekend (or on a Wednesday/Thursday when I work at home) and you want to make the stupid drive out to Buckeye to escape the sun/heat, you are welcome to drive out here and use my garage. Have a big air compressor that's noisy as hell, and a fairly decent selection of tools (no air-impact though, just an air-ratchet).

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That's a very generous offer, and the drive isn't bad compared to our 250-mile daily average on the ambo, so it doesn't bother me. A few dollars in gas is nothing for a garage. If something comes up where I can still drive it but need a garage (like the ever-increasingly "that oil spot is getting bigger"-inevitable engine pull to replace the front main seal in the beetle) I'll be sure to post here and send you a PM.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Cool, just need to make sure to chat so you don't assume I have tools you'll need when I may not!

When I'm working on my car (pretty much just oil changes these days) I close the garage and use a box fan to send sweet cooling air from the house out into the garage to keep it somewhat cool (or at least not nearly as hot as outside). The garage door/walls/ceiling are all insulated, so it works moderately well.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I've been there before... removing busted off studs is just a miserable, thankless, usually-fruitless task. Busted off studs in aluminum is even worse, I can't believe you got as lucky as you did.

At around 3-4AM I finally gave up on getting a busted stud out of the cylinder head on my red XJ's 4.0L and did what you did, I slammed the motor right back in and said gently caress it, it'll do for now. And it did. It lasted a few months before it started leaking again.

One missing stud is better than 50% missing studs, you did well. If you have to drill that fucker out it is going to be truly horrible, since I'm sure it's not coming out because it's corroded in place and the surrounding aluminum is so much softer than the steel that it'll be impossible to keep the drill on target. That being said, I'd pull the head, flip it over so the busted stud is on the top, and use alum to dissolve it out.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah, after discovering our AI spirit guide, AvE, I've been pondering that. I'm just lazy enough to leave it as-is until the next head removal is required, which could be anywhere between 1 and 300 more hours of operation.

Illegal Alienation
Mar 2, 2016
How to fix an ambulance, brought to you by compensateme and geirskogul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS_LMSXmu_s

Also, how to murder an ambulance, brought to you by compensateme and geirskogul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKfLrm8dlyo

Illegal Alienation fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jun 11, 2016

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

compensateme posted:

Here's how to fix an ambulance, brought to you by compensateme and geirskogul.

https://youtu.be/TS_LMSXmu_s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS_LMSXmu_s

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

It's okay, you guys don't need to run code anytime soon. :v:

What the hell is the purpose of that screeching (when it's not malfunctioning)?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
When a rear door is open.

However we did a psych run down to Tucson and it was pouring rain. Inside the truck as well.

We lost all mod electrical (the box is the mod) and the door switches started freaking out. It's normally a solid buzz, not a pattern.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

I have no money right now, and the next thing I need to do with the bus is fix the sliding door again. The V-grooved bearing that the door rests on split in half suddenly on Thursday, so the side door is Out of Order until I spend $25 on a special VW bearing.

What I do have, however, is two mini-kegs of Heineken and a 3D printer, along with a few little issues on the beetle.

The first (and maybe only) thing I'm tackling this weekend is the rear turn signals. The beetle's rear turn signal lenses have been bleaching clear over the past two years, so they're no longer yellow. This is bad, because the COB LED bulbs I have back there are a bright white, and we all know that a car with white turn signals is annoying as poo poo. They look kind of like this:

I hate the fact that my phone does auto white balance (and I can't change the setting, LG G3 Vigor) because I need you to believe that the following picture has a white flasher:

It looks yellow, but that's just a trick of the remnants of the yellow coating.

I wanted a double-walled 3D printed object that had no infill, so it would diffuse the light from the LED bulb evenly. I could easily print a cylinder that fits snugly over the bulb, but where's the fun in that?

It took a few trial-and-error iterations.

Signal before:

Signal after:

It's a neon/transparent orange, so it looks a bit funky, especially in low light. It's fluorescent so it kind of looks brighter than everything else.

The hole was meant to vent hot air (even LEDs get hot, especially in the summer) but I had a brain fart and forgot about orientation when I was designing it.

Again, you're going to have to trust me on this, but this turn signal flash is a brilliant orange/amber, with no trace of white anywhere. It's not as bright as the bare bulb, but at night through testing it honestly was way too bright before. I've been driving around for a year as that rear end in a top hat that has blinding turn signals, apparently.

E: I made two gifs showing the difference, hopefully.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 12, 2016

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
That's super awesome - how cost effective are the 3d printers if you don't take purchase price into account? How much does a piece like that cost to make?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
A roll of filament is 2.2 lbs (1kg), varies between $15 and $20 depending on color (transparent orange is $17/roll), and each of my prototypes was estimated to be .06lbs on the slicer. So around .45 cents each. Add electricity, which is (off-peak) 7c/kWh, and the printer that consumes about 300 watts to heat up and 180 watts to maintain heat and movement, so let's say 250W average (heat-up is pretty long). Each prototype was about 45 minutes of printing plus heat-up, so let's just say one hour of use at 250W. That's, what, 2-4 cents? Each nozzle is around $3, and they last about 100-150 hours of printing before I throw them out due to contamination and wear, because they're brass. Also the belts on the printer are $10/apiece, and there are three, and each set of belts is probably good for 2000 hours or so with proper care. I have nearly that many hours of printing (I think) but I can see some good wear on the belts and they'll probably eat it sometime this year. 90% of the belt wear was from when I was learning and crashed the head a few times, causing the belts to skip. That still happens on occasion.

So each part cost between $.50-1.00.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jun 12, 2016

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
That's the answer I was hoping for - can't wait for the future.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I've been able to replace impossible to find things by printing them in my own home for pennies, and I've been able to think up a thing I want one day, and have it the day after. And nearly everything I own uses the same charger. I can change my thermostat from my phone without getting up, and if there's a fire my house lets me know and I don't have to pay for a monitoring service. But on the flipside, awhile back I couldn't charge my book because I was already charging my cigarette, and it's nearly impossible to "own" music now, only to rent a license to use it.

The future is already here, and it is kind of dumb.

E: I know it looks super bizarre, too. I'm already printing a better one, now that I have the measurements figured out.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 12, 2016

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Geirskogul posted:

I hate the fact that my phone does auto white balance (and I can't change the setting, LG G3 Vigor) because I need you to believe that the following picture has a white flasher:

Have you tried any third party camera apps? I use Open Camera when I need more control over the settings than the bundled Motorola app I normally use offers.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Welp, the 98 explorer 4.0 SOHC is having a lot of issues, suddenly. Elizabeth says she drove to work just fine, but when she started it to come home it was suddenly not idling and very rough. It is making what nearly sounds like a belt squeaking noise, but it's not the belt, and feels like it's only running on a few cylinders. Like, less than 4.

I got it to idle a bit better by cleaning the felt air filter element on the IAC valve, which allowed the truck to surge up more easily, but it's still very rough.

I've already done the intake gaskets (2 years ago), but there's a chance that the aftermarket kit (FEL PRO) was actually crap. That's always a possibility.

I need to find my code reader.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Well, after cleaning the IAC valve and lubing it up, it is an issue. But even after doing that (which allowed the truck to idle) it still had no power, and was dumping fuel. I cleared the codes with the battery, and gave it some time to start up again. Pinged the Check Engine light (with flashes for the first bit, code in progress) when I tried to give it throttle.

I started searching for hours and hours for a solution. Cleaned MAF and Air Charge Temp sensors, tried to run with MAF unplugged, etc.

Eventually, I gave up and started to look for "Ford 4.0 SOHC noise" videos on Youtube, and I found one that matches it perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALRCRqv7kxs

poo poo. Let's look in the comments:

And his followup video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkYaqxoVaTc

:gonk:

I was just posting in the stupid questions thread about how I was counting down the days when something like this happened. Four days ago :gonk: :gonk: :smith:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Hey, my 4.6L SOHC did that too!

Just Ford Things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k_9Ty664tg

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yours says dying oil pump and sounds different. Did it have the same result of grenading the tensioner? What did you do afterwards with the Explorer.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

Yours says dying oil pump and sounds different. Did it have the same result of grenading the tensioner? What did you do afterwards with the Explorer.
Yeah, sorry. When I originally uploaded the video, I thought I (just) had a dying oil pump.

What actually happened is:
  • PO fuckery
  • tensioner failed
  • took oil pump with it
  • had tensioner replaced along with oil pump
  • low oil pressure and a timing chain rubbing on an oil pump got metal shavings ev-er-y-wh-er-e
  • I replaced it with a 5.4L

Mine was also in a Mustang, not an Explorer, but of a similar era (2000).

Here's what the oil pump looked like when I pulled it out:

I know in my case, we didn't catch it early enough to prevent massive metal contamination. If you've caught it early (or if the 4.0 is sufficiently different), you may be able to just replace the tensioners and be fine. I paid someone nearly a grand to do it and it didn't do jack.

(Sorry if this isn't terribly helpful, I intended it more as commiserating.)

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jun 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Oh, well, this poo poo isn't worth $1000. I'm already selling off some car parts etc on ebay to come up with funds to buy a <$1000 craigslist beater for her.

I'm thinking a crown vic, or a SOHC forester within my price range. Unless the crown vics have anything major other than oil consumption. Already see a few specials with no back seat (irrelevant) for $750 or so. Any gotchas with those? SOHC Forester because I've already dealt with DOHC head gasket replacement with my (RIP) 97 Outback.

Anybody want to buy a never-installed Motogadget M-Unit V2 for way less than the $400 MSRP? Titleless (lost it) 2009 Royal Enfield AVL for a grand? Only needs a hone!

• Locked thread