Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yeah, the healing factor stops the Adamantium from poisoning him. It's not related to protecting inter-bone transfer because his bones aren't covered in an impermeable layer - that was only an additional question to "how do you 100% coat a bone?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Travis343 posted:

I don't know how you guys think joints work but even if every bone was 100% coated in adamantium you'd still be flexible and you'd still be able to lose a limb. The question would be how do you 100% coat a bone with metal without completely removing it from the body, fusing it to the adjacent bone or accidentally coating a ligament with it but Comic Book Science.

I always thought it was extremely hosed up when Wolverine would get so tore up you could see his shiny skull peeking out or some poo poo.

Yes, that's the point. His bones are covered, but not his joints.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Travis343 posted:

I thought that was because Adamantium was toxic, though?

I thought the inter-bone transfer thing was brought up in the original Genosha arc way back when (or conceivably in an OHOTMU or other summary of that story), though it's entirely possible that I'm mistaken.

E: I have some vague memory of a (IIRC) three-issue series that was basically 'Wolverine's published history' in largely text format with the occasional B&W art reprint; it could have been that. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

It bothers me that adamantium toxicity is a thing. If something is toxic, it is chemically interacting with your biology. If it chemically interacts with things, you can change or destroy it chemically. Adamantium is supposed to be incorruptible eternal-metal.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Squizzle posted:

It bothers me that adamantium toxicity is a thing. If something is toxic, it is chemically interacting with your biology. If it chemically interacts with things, you can change or destroy it chemically. Adamantium is supposed to be incorruptible eternal-metal.

Real medical science uses silver and gold that way, but if you drink enough of it you turn blue or orange permanently, and according to House, you can poison people with gold.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Hey, given Thor's casting of Karl Urban as Skurge, I'm probably going to be asked questions about the character by my friends who like Marvel films and don't read Marvel comics.

How the gently caress do you pronounce "Gjallerbru?"

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
I'm guessing the G is silent.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think it's like Heimdall's horn, so Yallerbrew if that's the case because I've heard heard his horn pronounced as Yallerhorn and it's spelled the same way (Gjallarhorn). Who knows if that's the correct pronunciation of the horn, but I've heard it pronounced that way more times than not.

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy
When Wolverine regrows limbs where does the new adamantium come from?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Clamknuckle posted:

Wolverine never gets limb cut off unless he doesn't have adamantium bones at the time. He just gets skeletonized.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Clamknuckle posted:

The Adamantium Force.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Skwirl posted:

Hey, given Thor's casting of Karl Urban as Skurge, I'm probably going to be asked questions about the character by my friends who like Marvel films and don't read Marvel comics.

How the gently caress do you pronounce "Gjallerbru?"

make sure to have the "he stood along at gjallerbru" pages to show them

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Was the Ultimate comics line supposed to have an end date or was it supposed to be on going, it did have a good 15 year run but I wonder if the plan was to just keep it going side by side with the usual comics?

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy
Both of those answers make perfect sense, thank you.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Clamknuckle posted:

All that sweet merchandising money.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ultragonk posted:

Was the Ultimate comics line supposed to have an end date or was it supposed to be on going, it did have a good 15 year run but I wonder if the plan was to just keep it going side by side with the usual comics?
It honestly seemed like a cute little experiment to reinvigorate the line.

The fact that Bendis/Bagley nailed it made it easier to sell as an ongoing, expanding universe.

But then the problem became "Oh, so I need to catch up on 8 years of events+crossovers". Which isn't terrible when your properties have 30+ years of continuity, but at some point the weight of it undoes the purpose of the experiment.

Or you got terrible, uninspired series' like XMen or FF, which boiled the Ultiverse into "like {character} but {twist}".

They probably would have spent a good deal of effort to rejuvenate it had Iron Man/the MCU not panned out.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Clamknuckle posted:

They make a really huge deal of it in the Marvel vs the World or whatever book [the prequel to the Punisher one, full of zombies] when Hulk is mad enough to rip off Wolverine's arms, something everyone thought was impossible.

I mean dumb non-canon storyline, but yeah.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yeah, Wolverine has gotten his head hacked off in at least one other What If and I think something Warren Ellis-penned, even though it doesn't really seem possible under normal circumstances.

FilthyImp posted:

The fact that Bendis/Bagley nailed it made it easier to sell as an ongoing, expanding universe.

But then the problem became "Oh, so I need to catch up on 8 years of events+crossovers". Which isn't terrible when your properties have 30+ years of continuity, but at some point the weight of it undoes the purpose of the experiment.

The real problem is when writers realize they have freedom to do all sorts of things they couldn't in normal continuity, which means diverging not only from normal continuity, but the basic setting of "Earth as we know it, but with capes". And though that might seem interesting to the writers penning it, it creates a whole new level of things that need to be explained on top of all the complicated superhero shenanigans.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Rhyno posted:

The Adamantium Force.

His skeleton is a portal to the adamantium dimension

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

In Marvel Universe vs. Punisher/Marvel Universe vs. Wolverine, they have what basically amounts to Hulk with the 28 Days Later rage virus becoming angry/strong enough to tear off Wolverine's arm at the elbow. He then goes on to wear the skeletal hand as a necklace and the Punisher eventually kills him with an arrow fashioned out of one of the blades.

Wolverine does eventually grow his arm back, but without the metal.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I wish hey hadn't ruined that setting.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

Or you got terrible, uninspired series' like XMen or FF, which boiled the Ultiverse into "like {character} but {twist}".

I still remember reading the whole thing from start to finish, so many low points.

FilthyImp posted:

They probably would have spent a good deal of effort to rejuvenate it had Iron Man/the MCU not panned out.

Is that what Ultimatium was supposed to do, in general, I mean?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think a lot of the tone and ideas from Ultimate ended up getting folded into mainline, so it'll always have a legacy in that sense. Especially since it served as an inspiration for key parts of the MCU, which now inspires stuff in the comics, so it's there by osmosis as well.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Ultimate Marvel was so successful, it became redundant. Regular jumping-on points, easily-collected story arcs, the whole sense that you might love the farm but the cows aren't sacred, even the actual creators involved plus a bunch of people working in the same creative idiom—all that stuff lives in the regular Marvel comic line, now, not to mention the movies.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

I wish hey hadn't ruined that setting.

I've said it before, but I really wish the third miniseries was Marvel Universe vs. Deadpool. He was a supporting character in the first two stories where the Punisher one had Wade self-aware about what he used to be and what he's become, but without the conviction to do anything about it. Then the Wolverine one has Wolverine do this desperate pep talk about how he knows Deadpool can hold his poo poo together when he really needs to. The third book really should have brought closure to what world with Infected Deadpool saving the day and probably following up on that whole "Thor lost his mind, killed Hercules and Ares, then flew away never to be heard from again," plot point.

Instead we got an unnecessary Hawkeye story that had nothing to say.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

I've said it before, but I really wish the third miniseries was Marvel Universe vs. Deadpool. He was a supporting character in the first two stories where the Punisher one had Wade self-aware about what he used to be and what he's become, but without the conviction to do anything about it. Then the Wolverine one has Wolverine do this desperate pep talk about how he knows Deadpool can hold his poo poo together when he really needs to. The third book really should have brought closure to what world with Infected Deadpool saving the day and probably following up on that whole "Thor lost his mind, killed Hercules and Ares, then flew away never to be heard from again," plot point.

Instead we got an unnecessary Hawkeye story that had nothing to say.
Part 3 was the absolute worst. Bah!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

One thing that always made me smile from that first miniseries is how one of the first infected incidents was a bunch of children going apeshit at "a Nyack mall." Nyack does indeed have a huge mall and at the time of that story, I was working there.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Ultragonk posted:

Is that what Ultimatium was supposed to do, in general, I mean?
Yeah, the Ultimate line had fallen into a deep rut of "hey remember POPULAR THING X, here's ULTIMATE POPULAR THING X" again and again and again, and Ultimatum was designed to shove it out of the rut by making it literally impossible to keep retelling 616 stories. Cure was just worse than the disease.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Okay, here's one that bugged me today while I was watching Apocalypse. When the Marvel logo comes up and flashes a bunch of comic panels, I feel like it used to be panels from the comic of the movie you were about to watch. Now it's just the same random panels for every movie. Am I just seeing things or did a shift occur? Because I swear if you had a keen eye you could tell the panel flash was X-Men or Blade or whatever. I tried tonight and I got nothin. Could've been ROM comics for all the detail I got.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I think it used to be like that in the early days, but maybe Marvel has control of the logo, and makes Fox/Sony use the more generic panels.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7cYKt8RqY8

Looks like Spider-man's been using the super generic one from the start, whatever that means.

E: These annotations seem pretty suspect.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The best was Punisher movie (War Zone?) where the Marvel intro graphic had a couple quick frames of Tim Bradstreet Punisher glaring at you.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

There's a Man-Thing movie? Can I assume it's not very good and I should forget that it exists, again?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Uthor posted:

There's a Man-Thing movie? Can I assume it's not very good and I should forget that it exists, again?

Unless your favorite movie is Lake Placid vs Anaconda, yes.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Lurdiak posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7cYKt8RqY8

Looks like Spider-man's been using the super generic one from the start, whatever that means.

E: These annotations seem pretty suspect.

I am skeptical of those annotations. Because Hulk, Punisher, F4, Ghost Rider, and Elektra are clearly panels from their comics. I dunno, maybe they're the special ones.

In light of the new movie, I wanted to ask just a general opinion question. When you think of the X-Men, who's on the team?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

SonicRulez posted:

In light of the new movie, I wanted to ask just a general opinion question. When you think of the X-Men, who's on the team?

90's cartoon X-Men. Cyclops, Jean Grey, Wolverine, Storm, Nightcrawler, Beast. Maybe Gambit and Rogue.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

SonicRulez posted:

I am skeptical of those annotations. Because Hulk, Punisher, F4, Ghost Rider, and Elektra are clearly panels from their comics. I dunno, maybe they're the special ones.

A mix of the late 80s Outback team and the 90s cartoon team. Definitely Storm and Wolverine, and any of Beast, Rogue, Cyclops, Psylocke, Jean, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Jubilee, Gambit, etc.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Scott, Jean, Kitty, Kurt, Logan, Ororo, Rogue, and Hank.

X-Men Evolution :colbert:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Take one of those 90s teams, but put Emma in instead of Jean because she's better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

If Storm isn't there it's not really the X-Men. That's really my only hard and fast rule. I love Wolverine but I would rather have no Wolverine than late period godlike invincible Wolverine.