Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Some of the refineries being in highly flammable neighborhoods probably didn't help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Some of the refinery's products creating highly flammable neighborhoods probably didn't help.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

Hey do you ever see hydraulic hose crimpers in auctions? Preferably Gates? I'd be curious what they typically go for.

In other news, it appears that gas stations are shutting down for lack of fuel
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/petro-canada-suncor-gas-stations-run-out-of-gas-1.3614059

I don't know why, but it seems every year now there is a week or two where this happens... either due to "maintenance" or something else in the supply chain.

But nope, don't need another refinery. We need to have our supply/demand so tight gasoline is approaching costs when oil was literally 3x as much and the infrastructure can't withstand a blip.

The esso up the road from me is at 108.9, profiting off the bad news, of course.

Somehow, the auction in edmonton tomorrow ended up with a bunch of interesting non-runners.

http://details.maauctions.com/AutolistingYEG_Detail.aspx?Link=3/6/2016%5E645ae48ca7a94072ab509aba3fcfcc9b
http://details.maauctions.com/AutolistingYEG_Detail.aspx?Link=3/6/2016%5Ee2bc2b043ba44aa8902ca3311d19c5f9
http://details.maauctions.com/AutolistingYEG_Detail.aspx?Link=3/6/2016%5E6e514350d4fe40a9b8a2e812fa5868ff

They'd be great for one of them shitbox rallies.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Trafficator

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Some of the refineries being in highly flammable neighborhoods probably didn't help.

I don't think the refineries are/were anywhere near the flammable neighborhoods though, and they are pretty much up in oil production AFAIK so :shrug:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

My old man bought a bus.

Pretty oddball. Instead of the 6 liter most of them had, it has the bigger dt466, pre-emission, and an automatic. It also has big 22.5 wheels and 11r22.5 tires. All for 16 passengers max. 1 more passenger than a ford van.

Any ideas beyond the basic mini-motorhome?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I have an idea.

Or, really, more of a notion.

Your old man is rad as gently caress.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You should turn it into an enclosed ramp truck but have the whole rear roof and body lift up like a monster truck to let it in.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It is awesome. Where did it come from? Those tires look chewy as gently caress.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

It is awesome. Where did it come from? Those tires look chewy as gently caress.

Bc coal mine. 67,000 kms on it.

It's a fantastic little bus.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
A small passenger bus with knobby tires that came from a coal mine in B.C. Presumably its main duty was transporting mine employees to-and-from and around the mine.
a) Rad as gently caress - agreed!
b) Pressure wash the gently caress out of it, please - inside and out. Inside especially - that thing has to be a rolling lung-cancer factory.

I think the basic mini-motorhome idea is pretty great, you / your dad would have fewer problems at the more desireable, less accessible campsites than a comparbly-sized non-rough-road-ready RV.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

A small passenger bus with knobby tires that came from a coal mine in B.C. Presumably its main duty was transporting mine employees to-and-from and around the mine.
a) Rad as gently caress - agreed!
b) Pressure wash the gently caress out of it, please - inside and out. Inside especially - that thing has to be a rolling lung-cancer factory.

I think the basic mini-motorhome idea is pretty great, you / your dad would have fewer problems at the more desireable, less accessible campsites than a comparbly-sized non-rough-road-ready RV.

Yeah, it's being hosed down good. There's probably 1000lbs of coal junk in the framerails.

It's being nicknamed the black lung.

Or maybe the green something

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The green bastard, from parts unknown?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I'm jelly, that's going to make the best semi off-road camper ever

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Green Meanie. That is a pretty sweet bus there. I'm kind of glad that I don't have access to that kind of auction here, since I'm sure I'd make a lot of decisions I'd regret.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I like blacklung

So, it was an absolutely stunning late spring day in Southern Alberta. 28 degrees, not a breath of wind. Simple gorgeous. Literally couldn't have been better day for a bike ride, so me and a bud went to Waterton for the afternoon.
(crappy cell pics)

Alberta.jpg

(actually 2 Provinces and 1 state)
Taken about 10K north of the small village of Glenwood on AB-810.

and Nationalpark_parking.jpg

We were watching as this lady pulled up in the Corolla into the handicapped zone. We thought, Oh, she's just going to back up and turn around to leave the parking lot (it was a small dead end lot with no vacancies and parking is a premium in Waterton). Nope. Door flies open, older oriental lady almost falls out of the door and she starts off. We're looking in amazement and yell at her to move her car, but she's completely oblivious and walks away. I sort of hope the owner of the Mitsubishi next to her needs the doors wide open to get in and out and scratches/dents the gently caress out of the Toyota.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 5, 2016

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

^^^ drat that's pretty, also I bet that lady spoke fine english, she just wanted to get the full tourist experience :shobon:

And yeah, Blacklung is a great name.

Powershift posted:

Or maybe the green something

TODAY ON ALBERTA AI CARFLIPAPALOOZA, WE GET BURNED ON A RESPRAYED COAL MINER'S BUS. CAN THE POWERSHIFT TEAM COME OUT AHEAD THIS TIME???

I did a bunch of work today, feels good. Tightened the anchor bolts on the lift and tested it on my loving piece of poo poo lawnmower. I'm almost disappointed it didn't fall over and crush the bitch.

Read all about it here. Long story short, I loving hate lawn mowers and lawn mower manufacturers.

Good news: beer fridge is in.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Well, I guess the fuel gauge is out a little bit

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Here we go again!
:supaburn:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

34 is pretty nasty, sucks that it looks like rain on the weekend though.

It was hot enough that I left the fan on in the VW going onto the highway Friday which blew the fuse and then I panicked and got the Mazda out despite the blown engine thinking I needed a blower for the VW. Felt rather dumb after all that when I actually bothered to investigate today and it was just the fuse.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
It's so hot in Lethbridge that people are loving in the streets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyA9iHna4o8

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Heh.

OT tho but the guy doing the filming is a douche
https://youtu.be/p4dPNIkMtOc

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Heh.

OT tho but the guy doing the filming is a douche
https://youtu.be/p4dPNIkMtOc

Someone is way too angry to live in Lethbridge. Everyone being chill or at least survivalist gun nuts is half the appeal of that place imo.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I'm going to rage about someone that isn't sure about where to turn, even though they're not really impeding traffic on a residential road. Then I am going to attempt pass on the right and rage blow my horn, and be further incensed when they have the nerve to pull over. :argh:

If I posted a loving youtube video of every time I saw someone not sure about where to turn or crawl when they shouldn't be I'd probably be posting videos literally every day.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

What would you guys recommend as a road trip destination on any Sunday in Alberta? Home base is the Edmonton area. Take the back roads to YYC and visit the science centre, zoo and gardens? Jasper for the day? Any decent provincial parks that aren't really boring if you don't have OHV's or a boat? Don't really want to spend the day inside (which is why the zoo is the only thing with a high-ish priority right now).

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Tyrell Museum if you haven't been (or for years) is a nice day drive from YEG if a little long since it's easy to spend several hours on site. Calgary Zoo is great and kicks the poo poo out of Valley-Zoo in every measure other than the little train that Valley Zoo had.. do they still have that?

A long day? Coaldale (bedroom community just outside of Lethbridge) has an absolutely fantastic Birds-Of-Prey centre. They have Raptors of all types, Hawks, Eagles and Owls and is a great rehab and long term care facility for Raptors but other birds too. Easily a 2-3 hour visit and you might be able to hold or feed one. That's a pretty long same day trip from the Edmonton area though, 10+ hours of driving alone. I personally think it's one of the most underrated animal facilities in Alberta and everyone should visit.

Waterton is cool for getting away from the hustle/bustle commercialization bullshit of Banff/Jasper but it's a long way and not everyones idea of fun since it's pretty small. Great trails and scenery though. Gorgeous, some decent food and scenery for both geography and people watching style though. Crowsnest Pass has cool tings, Hillcrest Mine tour and Frank Slide, but like Waterton Park, it's going to be a pretty drat long day from YEG.

All the cool poo poo is in the far south.
e; With the exception of Reynolds and the ice-fields.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 8, 2016

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

McTinkerson posted:

What would you guys recommend as a road trip destination on any Sunday in Alberta? Home base is the Edmonton area. Take the back roads to YYC and visit the science centre, zoo and gardens? Jasper for the day? Any decent provincial parks that aren't really boring if you don't have OHV's or a boat? Don't really want to spend the day inside (which is why the zoo is the only thing with a high-ish priority right now).

Climb to the top of whistler mountain
Athabasca ice fields
Dinosaur museum in drumheller might be a bit of a drive
Edmonton space and science center is old as gently caress but has a legit iMax and dome screen thing

Reynolds museum in wetaskawin is good. Big tractors and planes and old cars.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The Carriage Museum in Cardston is shockingly good too for such a backwards town.. as in, amazingly good and well done, but that's another 10+ hour round trip of driving.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Reynolds in wetaskawin is definitely the right answer if you post here and have never been there. I'll post pics when I get to my comp.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

The Reynolds Museum is loving awesome, can confirm. It's somewhere I need a full day to explore.

E: It is a long day of driving (9 hours return) but apparently the Phil Currie Dinosaur Museum in GP is really loving good.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 8, 2016

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MrChips posted:

The Reynolds Museum is loving awesome, can confirm. It's somewhere I need a full day to explore.

E: It is a long day of driving (9 hours return) but apparently the Phil Currie Dinosaur Museum in GP is really loving good.

Also not worth driving past fox creek for.

This is the kind of stuff reynolds has. It rotates, so they always have cool different stuff. I'm not going to spoil it all, but this is the kind of stuff they have.

They have a big fleet of restored old cars, on busy days they give people rides from the main museum to the airplane museum a couple hundred meters away.

Snowmobiles!

airplane

racecar

citroen halftrack

They're constantly restoring old tractors, and have giant gently caress-off steam tractors you can really get intimate with, and if there's nobody around, you can hop the fence and check out all the stuff they haven't got to yet.

This thing is probably restored by now. Transverse leaf spring, hydraulic drive, rollin on 28s

edit: if you're talking about this sunday, there's a huge car show there this weekend. http://www.history.alberta.ca/reynolds/specialevents/historyroad.aspx

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

McTinkerson posted:

Sunday Drives

Sunday Drives are the best, they are the only thing keeping me within hailing distance of sanity. Don't go on any Sunday, go on EVERY Sunday. I passed the 150 Sunday Drives mark a while ago, haven't been out quite as often as I'd like, but this weekend I'll probably go check out some asses.

Last year I went on a few Sunday Drives when I was based in Seba Beach, 80km west of Edmonton just south of highway 16. Excellent part of the world for just wandering around at 90km/h on roads with local names and official 3-digit numbers. One of my regrets is that I haven't yet spent any time in Pembina River - the bridge over the Pembina on highway 16 is 63m tall according to Wikipedia and the (very brief at 125km/h) view is rather good, and suggestive of good things in that park. Other parks in the area I did visit include Thunder Lake (I saw a moose! sooner or later I'll edit and post the full video!), Carson-Pegasus (Lovely, even if I couldn't spend as much time there as I'd like; Shepherd's Pie in the British-style pub in Whitecourt afterwards was excellent), Pigeon Lake (I had the trails to myself, just me and the wrens and woodpeckers and warblers), Eagle Point (I corrected some erroneous trail signs) and Whitehorse Wildland, where I was attacked by a grouse!.

Great suggestions from everybody here, you can choose your distance and find something. Go! Go for a Sunday Drive! Everbody!

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Um clearly all y'all are forgetting Alberta's greatest achievement, the Gopher Hole Museum in Torrington.

Just 2 1/2 hours from Edmonton. And they'll put on a CD for you when you walk in the exhibit hall. It is surreal as hell.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The giant beaver in beaverlodge.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

jonathan posted:

The giant beaver in beaverlodge.

The statue or the girl on railroad Ave?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Slung Blade posted:

The statue or the girl on railroad Ave?

Man up and see both

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Thanks for all the excellent suggestions guys. The plan is to visit Maligne Lake if the weather is nice on Sunday, should it not be then the Gopher hole museum is sooo happening. I'm going to save the Reynolds Museum for the night of June 25 ( http://history.alberta.ca/reynolds/specialevents/docs/RAM-2016-MuseumNightPoster.pdf ). Apparently you get to build a Model T.

In other news, sold the second (technically third FB) today and all of the goodies. Overall I'm pretty happy with how things went and the price all of it sold for.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Albino Squirrel posted:

Um clearly all y'all are forgetting Alberta's greatest achievement, the Gopher Hole Museum in Torrington.

Just 2 1/2 hours from Edmonton. And they'll put on a CD for you when you walk in the exhibit hall. It is surreal as hell.

You weren't kidding! It was amazing. Thanks!

Weather was poo poo, so the comfy vehicle was chosen (plus the other one just got a new windshield and I'm not tempting fate just yet).

This guy was made for the Olympics and actually was on display in Vancouver.

This one's for you Slung Blade:

They even had something for Cycle Asylum:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

McTinkerson posted:

This one's for you Slung Blade:

Well that's just awesome, thanks man :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Well i went to reynolds on saturday. it was raining sideways and everybody left, but there was still some neat goings on.

There was this cool miata and a couple other cars.

http://imgur.com/a/oXJjd