Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

I AM CARVALLO posted:

I'm playing a lot less Magic these days and there's a decent sized tournament tomorrow with a few vendors. I have just a little over $800 in TCG Mid picked out. What would a fair price for this be? Don't have any experience selling cards like this.

If you really want to get out completely, figure out what singles are worth double digits or more and sell them, then give the rest to away to new players at your LGS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

mandatory lesbian posted:

lmao jesus losing out on a thousand bucks like that

what value does "currency" hold IN THE FACE OF PUCA POINTS

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
played a weird set of games of Magic: The Gathering today for FNM. Decent crowd for modern, I was on G/U infect and I managed to win 3 rounds against my worst matchups and then lose to elves. *kanye Shrug*

R1 vs Jund: Win 2-1 (I was not expecting this)

I got paired against a fellow teammate who loves running Jund and other grindy decks in every format. Also Jund is usually a pretty bad matchup for Infect, since they have boatloads of removal.

G1: I lose the die roll (I think) and I (loosely) keep a hand with no coloured mana sources, but two Inkmoths. . T2 is land, spellskite also I draw my 3rd Inkmoth. It eventually gets removed. Opponent drops a bob and a goyf, and I swing for 1. Opponent flips an additional goyf and a Jund charm off his bob and continually represents abrupt decay mana, I eventually get some coloured mana in here too. Eventually he's down to 3 cards in hand, and I know 2 of them so I decide to go for it and assume it's not an abrupt decay. It's not and I pump and win.

G2: I get taken apart savagely. Creatures eat bolts, Inkmoths get Fulminator'd, an eternal witness shows up to get a Fulminator back. I can't keep a board and a goyf eats me.

G3: This is a weird game. I keep a hand with a single creature but a pile of weird action. I drop a T1 Heirarch, into T3 Wild Defiance T4 Wild Defiance. Hierarchy eats a removal spell somewhere in there. Opponent has a T2 bob and has fetched and shocked pretty aggressively with a board of Grim Lavamancer and Bob with a life total of 13. T5 I drop a Dryad arbor and a Blighted agent but only have 1 mana up (vines and dispel in hand). Opponents Bob triggers revealing a Jund Charm taking him to 10 life, Opponent swings with Bob which in my opinion is the ***TSN TURNING POINT MISPLAY OF THE GAME*** Opponent then Grim Lavamancers my Blighted Agent. I hem and haw over whether or not to save it (because it's the only pump spell in my hand, if I Draw another one I win, but if I save it this turn, I plink for 1 next turn) and I eventually let the blighted agent die. Pass turn, I untap, move to Combat, swing with Dryad arbor, kicked Vines of Vastwood, opponent Jund Charms in response, and I Dispel it, swing ten normal damage gg.

R2 vs Grixis Delver: Win 2-0 (this was also surprising)

I lose the die roll

G1: I play T1 Heirarch into T2 Spellskite and Glistener Elf (That T2 feels banana btw) And win with back to back turns of activate pendlehaven on Glistener elf, distortion strike, attack with exalted trigger for 4, pass turn (opponent digs for removal), untap, upkeep activate pendlehaven on Glistener elf, distortion strike rebounds, draw for turn, move to combat, exalted trigger, mutagenic growth, swing 6. Pact of Negation opponents removal spell.

G2: G2 I had a really slow start (no creatures in hand, but I did have an Inkmoth) but it worked out in my favour. I ended up just sculpting a hand and making land drops while my opponent made a huge board for himself Poking in for a point or two with my Inkmoth whenever my opponent was tapped out. Eventually he knocked me down to 6 and passed with 2 mana open and 1 card in hand. So I activated Inkmoth, fetched down to 5, went Might of Old Krosa, Groundswell, opponent tried to Remand the Groundswell but I had the Dispel in hand, gg.

R3 vs Burn: Win 2-0 (there's no way that should happen) This guy was pretty new, so I feel a little bad. But on the other hand he was at the 2-0 table.

I lose the die roll

G1: Opponent mulls to 6 and plays a T1 Taylor Swiftspear and swings for 1. I fetch a basic forest into Glistener elf and pass. T2 Opponent double Lava Spikes me and swings for 3 putting me at 10, I have the fear. My T2 I rancor up and swing for 3 infect. Opponent T3 he hits a land, lava spikes me (7 life) drops a hellspark elemental and swings 5 (2 life). My T3 I untap, Fetch (1 life) Groundswell, swing 7 brap.

G2: my opponent mull to 5, but I think he makes a play error on my T1. (if it were any deck other than burn it would definitely be a mistake, but with burn its only maybe a mistake) Opponent goes T1 mountain, pass. I got T1 Heirarch pass, opponent bolts my face at my EOT. I think the right play is definitely to bolt my heirarch, but that's just my opinion. Opponent T2 he draws, plays Swiftspear, and lava spikes me. I draw, play a land and drop a T2 Wild Defiance, opponent reads the card and says "that's not fair". T3 for opponent he swings again and I take it but he's almost out of cards. T3 I drop Spellskite into Blighted Agent. Opponent T4 swings and I block with Spellskite. My T4 is Mights of Old Krosa into Apostles blessing for lethal.

R4 vs Elves: Lose 0-2

G1: I end up 1 mana short of lethal and have a 1 turn window to draw a coloured mana source, or a spell that costs 1 mana. Instead I draw a listener else and lose.

G2: We both have mana issues, but he ends up in a better position after a coco that hits an ezuri and elvish arch druid. HE drops a spells kite that I immediately twisted image. However it doesn't draw me a land, and I lose again.

Still got 1st on tiebreaks brap brap.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
This player last night had the most busted werewolf deck I'd ever seen. Two Duskwatch Recruiters, a Howlpack Resurgence, Rabid Bites, combat tricks, everything you could want. Of course everyone he played or saw him play accused him of cheating.

Luckily, I was the judge. I was also sitting to his right. I heard when he announced opening a Duskwatch Recruiter and saw him take the other one. The player to my right took a bunch of green werewolves in his first few picks, so I stayed out of green. The guy with the busted werewolf deck saw a Mountain in the pack and took it out and said, "someone left a land in the pack, heh. I could use that" which you're really not supposed to say, but he's really inexperienced. Either way, I knew he was in red, because I saw him take a bunch of red werewolves and open that 3/2 haste one.

DFCs and knowing what I passed him let me tell the other players that he wasn't cheating. The guy he beat to be 4-0 was really pissed, because he wanted to split but the inexperienced player knew his deck was good and had never gone undefeated before. He ranted about how he was cheating even after I told him how I knew he wasn't. Poor kid will go back to going 0-2 drop every FNM now and he'll still be accused of cheating that one FNM where he did really well.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

rabidsquid posted:

what value does "currency" hold IN THE FACE OF PUCA POINTS

M-my god... the system that will destroy fiat currency... was puca points all along....

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I just did a Whois on pucatrade because I was considering posting "who is John Galt" with the name of the guy that runs pucatrade, and I saw that they don't have pucatrade.net registered. Holy poo poo. If I were any good at scripting, I'd register it, create a tool that would calculate the current dollar value of puca points, plug it into "Every 100 puca points is worth <this much> in American Fiat Dollars!" And have a giant link to TCGPlayer with a much smaller link to pucatrade.com

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
What creature is "bob?"

Is it Bill Murray?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Soul Glo posted:

What creature is "bob?"

Is it Bill Murray?

Dark Confidant, named after Bob Maher who designed the card (his mug is also on the original art)

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

C-Euro posted:

Dark Confidant, named after Bob Maher who designed the card (his mug is also on the original art)

Thanks.

Now why on Earth would anyone play this? "See what card I draw, and also here's some life." Assuming there's a Modern combo with him--

OHHHHH. Upkeep. Draw an extra card on Upkeep. Nice.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Greatness, at any cost.

*flips Tasigur 3 times in a row*

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Soul Glo posted:

Thanks.

Now why on Earth would anyone play this? "See what card I draw, and also here's some life." Assuming there's a Modern combo with him--

Yeah extra card per turn, comes down on turn 2, plus if you have a "dead" land draw off of Confidant it doesn't cost you anything. Decks that run it (like Modern Jund) generally have a low average mana cost, plus as a creature you can chump block with it if it's hurting you too much. Though if anything if just makes me miss Phyrexian Arena.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Greatness, at any cost.

*flips Tasigur 3 times in a row*

Wasn't there a RAV/TSP Standard deck running both Bob and Greater Gargadon?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

There were people trying him in mardu Nahiri decks recently that run 1 Emrakul. I ran Bob and Emrakul together in a Sneak/Show cube deck one time. Bob on turn 2, flip emmy on turn 3.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

I ran him in Jund last night. One game I flipped Damnation, Damnation, Kalitas, Kalitas. The only 4 drops in the deck. I board wiped afterwards. Painful.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Soul Glo posted:

Thanks.

Also he swings for 2 damage. All for 2 mana.

There's an enchantment with Bob's effect, actually.

It costs 1 more mana and cannot attack.

C-Euro posted:

Bob wasn't that huge during his Standard tenure because the format was slow as hell. Part of why people underestimated him at first. Loxodon Hierarch did a hell of a job setting the pace, among other things.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The lower curves and faster games definitely help him out in eternal formats.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
At least there is magic to watch today...

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Opponent at 17 life. I swing with a Reaper of Flight Moonsilver. He casts Moonlight Hunt targeting it with 9 power of werewolves on the battlefield. I count and I have 7 other creatures which I sacrifice to the Reaper bringing it to 17/10.

:feelsgood:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Logan mize needs a slow play warning.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sickening posted:

Every single person to ever play on camera needs a slow play warning.

FTFY

But yeah I called him out on it last time I saw him on camera when he was up 1/0 and took like a 3 minute turn with no real decisions.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 4, 2016

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Just watch lsv stream instead

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
https://twitch.tv/NYSEvintage

Hot 162 player unsanctioned Vintage on Long Island!

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Kinda wish I could be in Atlanta right now since the venue is only 30 minutes away, but I'm pretty devoted to the "no more Standard for a while" rule due to my "surprising success in Modern" recently.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

InterrupterJones posted:

Kinda wish I could be in Atlanta right now since the venue is only 30 minutes away, but I'm pretty devoted to the "no more Standard for a while" rule due to my "surprising success in Modern" recently.

I'm basically resigned to not playing Standard until Kaladesh comes out.

Or unless EDM has some awesome Werewolves in it.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

I AM CARVALLO posted:

I'm playing a lot less Magic these days and there's a decent sized tournament tomorrow with a few vendors. I have just a little over $800 in TCG Mid picked out. What would a fair price for this be? Don't have any experience selling cards like this.

Tcgmid is a useless number.

Find out the tcglow and expect to get 60-70 of that

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
lmao saffronolives engulf the shore deck live on the scg stream with 4 copies of prism ring in the deck. dude is 4-0 so far, is this real ife

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Bob wasn't that huge during his Standard tenure because the format was slow as hell. Part of why people underestimated him at first. Loxodon Hierarch did a hell of a job setting the pace, among other things.

He's pretty sweet in Ghost Dad. But then I think most people underestimated Ghost Dad at first.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

80s James Hetfield posted:

lmao saffronolives engulf the shore deck live on the scg stream with 4 copies of prism ring in the deck. dude is 4-0 so far, is this real ife

Sounds like Muller's deck, unless it's actually playing Jar

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gpman16/mono-blue-prison-with-martin-muller-2016-05-28

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
This guy had a T2 Jace and hasn't activated it once.

Casuals on stream ftw

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
He doesn't want to mill his control magic

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
In magic thread related news, someone is selling magic thread poster Pussy Snorkel on Amazon. NSFW: no, really, NSFW

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

WHY ARE CELESTIAL COLONNADES 45 DOLLARS

gently caress this I'm selling my Thopter Sword pieces.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Lsv today, multi-queuing: "how did I draw four cards? Oh, I f8ed through 4 turns."

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Count Bleck posted:

Modern Jeskai Control is now good

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Lawnie posted:

Lsv today, multi-queuing: "how did I draw four cards? Oh, I f8ed through 4 turns."

That's some pretty good value there. Too bad he didn't activate his looter

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

ThePeavstenator posted:

Modern Jeskai Control is now good

Yeah I actually remembered that was a deck after I went to buy my playset and noticed they shot up 15 bucks and got really annoyed about it.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Count Bleck posted:

This, except Zombies instead of Werewolves. I didn't invest in Risen Executioner for nothing! :mtgfinance:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Count Bleck posted:

The real question is why were they $25-30 before people thought UWx control was playable?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Count Bleck posted:

I keep sitting around trying to picture what a Legendary Werewolf would have to look like to make Wolves playable as a tribe in standard and not just as commander garbage bait.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Angry Grimace posted:

I keep sitting around trying to picture what a Legendary Werewolf would have to look like to make Wolves playable as a tribe in standard and not just as commander garbage bait.
An effect like "whenever a werewolf you control would transform, you may counter that ability." would go a long way, I bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

Legendary Werewolf that's a lord for the respective side depending on if it's transformed or not?

Human side gives them +1/+1 and Vigilance/Haste, Werewolf side gives 1+/+1 and Trample/Haste?

• Locked thread