Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

In the second to last panel that little page decoration thingie is surprised by the last panel bulging out into his panel, and by Snorkmaiden and the Mymble running towards him.

It's the little touches that make Moomin comics so wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Julet Esqu posted:

Big Ben Bolt

Wasn't there a storyline early on in the sports-writer part of his career where Bolt went to a boxing match and immediately recognized that it was fixed, just by the way the boxers were moving? And now all of a sudden he's pounding his temples, going, "This amazing phenom player is having all kinds of run-ins with thugs and shady grandpas and isn't playing as well as he was . . . WHAT COULD IT MEAN??"

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

It might all be worth it just for commentary from this knucklehead:

IamJayBlue is, as far as I can tell, literally insane. I wonder if he still comes up with "hilarious" titles for individual strips.

e: this dude makes my skin crawl

A HUNGRY MOUTH fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 4, 2016

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
The Eternal Ones, or, Gasoline Alley

Phoebe and her Unicorn, or, Heavenly Nostrils

Middle School Action Comics!, or, Big Nate

Descent into Madness, or, Ziggy

Ye Olde Fox Trot

Best Comic in the Thread, or, Cul de Sac

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Julet Esqu posted:

Phantom Classic

I remember this story, too. It's the inevitable result of running the Sundays and weekdays out of synch when they both tell the same story, eventually the one that was lagging catches up.
It seems to me that it's a testament to the quality of the writing that I wouldn't even know the Sundays and weekday stories of Phantom Classic line up just reading them. I could swear it's just two different storylines being told simultaneously like modern Phantom.

Edit: As opposed to Classic A3-G, where the missing Sundays are often quite noticeable. To me, at least.

F Minus sums up my relationship with my Dad

Mary Worth

It's balanced in a sexless, parochial way, yes. Sure.

Rex Morgan MD

Trilobite posted:

Yeah, the artist took over the writing duties, and two of the very first things he did was say "No, they will not be moving into a lovely old manor stuffed full of antique furniture" (probably because he's the one who has to draw that poo poo every day ;)), and have a skunk spray Sarah Morgan in the goddamn face. It was an auspicious start to his run, I must admit.

It's the pessimist in me that says it won't last, though. What's Rex Morgan, MD about if it isn't a daily affirmation of how secure their entitlement is? It's not like it's going to suddenly start being about medicine or something, right?
I'm impressed by the relatively break-neck speed they move in this strip. I mean he said he was going to have this Harwood guy come over Thursday, he showed up Friday, and he's pretty much done explaining himself now. There wasn't a week of Mon: "I'm going to call Harwood!" Tues: *Rex is calling Harwood about the comics!* Wed: "Hello, Harwood?" Thurs: "Yes, this is Harwood." etc.

Maybe RMMD wasn't one of the worst offenders on that but still, it's moving along nicely.

Secret Agent X-9

To those about to fraud, we salute you.

Apartment 3-G

This is a really stupid and boring story. This is why you don't put Tommie at the center of stories.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

This storyline is basically teetering on the precipice of the Morgans getting rewarded for doing nothing yet again, but I did want to say that, as I just finished David Hajdu's The Ten-Cent Plague not too long ago, it's cool to see a character defying those book burning 50s goons as a kid being treated as the morally (and fiscally, which I guess in our society is its own sort of morality) correct move. You showed them, Harwood. :unsmith:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set knows timing is important.

Working Daze is about insufferable nerds, film at 11.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix respects the classics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7QjMZ4ckZc

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Wasn't there a storyline early on in the sports-writer part of his career where Bolt went to a boxing match and immediately recognized that it was fixed, just by the way the boxers were moving? And now all of a sudden he's pounding his temples, going, "This amazing phenom player is having all kinds of run-ins with thugs and shady grandpas and isn't playing as well as he was . . . WHAT COULD IT MEAN??"

Well, yeah. He's an ex-boxer. He recognizes when boxing matches are fixed.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I like Heavenly Nostrils quite a bit, but I can't stand it when there's generic vidja games jargon in comics. A bit of pet peeve of mine, so hoping for better next time!

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Nancy and Sluggo both seem especially off model today

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

What the ACTUAL gently caress.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Savidudeosoo posted:

What the ACTUAL gently caress.

Pluggers see death as a shedding of pain

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Pluggers is muscling in on the Pluggers edit market.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

I went from believing that this was an edit to being shocked that I actually have a favorite Pluggers strip now.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

Jesus Christ, James Roeser. :stare:

Still, probably the best Pluggers strip.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty
You know, when the wind blows clams at you. Why not leaves? Why the beach? Who does their hair before going to the ocean? I hate Guy Gilchrist.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Evil Mastermind posted:

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix respects the classics.

To be fair it IS weird that that kid is just listening to the Pac-Man sound effect.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Okay, I can buy that an art museum would hire a toddler to write their promotional book for them. And I can buy that people just give away cars to high school kids. But no collector would ever grade a comic book that got pulled out of the trash as mint condition. Immersion ruined. :colbert:

Looks like James Allen accidentally included his art notes in the dialog.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Moomin

Classic Dilbert

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life - which legs are whose?

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Fort Knox - where you don't have to change facial expressions at all to match the hearts above your head.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine in: Abbott & Costello Meet The Punman

The Phantom

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Alright, I am firmly putting "The Phantom" in the poo poo tier of comics.
It had a ton of promise with the year long "Gravelines" arc, but it's just been petering out with a wet fart. Oh look, they are beating up more " Bad Guys" without any sort of effort. The Bad guys just comically fall down!~ Riveting!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm giving it a pass based solely on Phantom acknowledging the only purpose he has to be at any location is to punch bad guys.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Johnny Aztec posted:

Alright, I am firmly putting "The Phantom" in the poo poo tier of comics.
It had a ton of promise with the year long "Gravelines" arc, but it's just been petering out with a wet fart. Oh look, they are beating up more " Bad Guys" without any sort of effort. The Bad guys just comically fall down!~ Riveting!

The most exciting thing that happened to the phantom in years was the mary worth crossover.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
What kind of hipster gently caress gives their 8 year old a 7-inch player?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Foxtrot

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Strontium posted:

Fort Knox - where you don't have to change facial expressions at all to match the hearts above your head.

I'm pretty this strip is generated by some script that takes a set number of clip art panels randomly from a pool and as long as the eyeball panel is the last one, it's good to go.

The dialog is selected separately from a pool of one-liners, quips and non-jokes.

It's almost lilke A3G during the very last stretch except uglier and less funny.

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzO_4IHPlFQ

Laputanmachine fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 5, 2016

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Women. :rolleyes:

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

English butlers. :rolleyes:

Big Ben Bolt

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts (June 8, 1969)

Cranky Shafterbean

Obviously this isn't Jeff's because it doesn't have a knife gash in the cover.

(Today's guest artist.)

Back To The Land Of The Livingshaft

Out Our Way With The Willets (February 27 and March 6, 1927)

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

OK I can get over Mary looking like Aunt May, and the dynamic and interesting art, but Wilbur eating something besides sandwiches? That is one step too far.

Rex Morgan MD

I admit I did not expect this.

Periodically people in this thread ask whether the writers of various comics are just loving with us, and I am becoming more and more convinced that this one is at least a little bit.

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 5, 2016

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yep that's about how I reacted when I realized how much I'd paid for the movie.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

That rear wheel is loose.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Outland

Ripley's

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

Bill Amend is such a nerd. Also he made me twitch because getting revered with that faction in that method would take forever. They'd probably wind up buying tubs of popcorn, dumping them on the floor, then picking them up for quest credit.

It's me, I'm the nerd as well.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I haven't looked at this thread in three or four years. What a beautiful reward.

I had really hoped Brooke would be driven offline and out of the industry with a sexual harassment suit or something. Oh well.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
Worst Comic in the Thread, or, Gasoline Alley

Phoebe and her Unicorn, or, Heavenly Nostrils

Middle School Action Comics!, or, Big Nate

Descent into Madness, or, Ziggy

Best Comic in the Thread, or, Cul de Sac

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Gil

Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

"I need you to unload the shipment of fabric that's coming on the truck tonight."

Heaven's Love Thrift Shop

:smith:

9 Chickweed Lane

Brooke liked his joke so much that he decided to reuse it in one of his recent weekly rants.

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Prince Valiant

Phantom Classic

I like to think Phantom made that mark by smashing his own face into the ground really hard.

Big Ben Bolt

Giving Jungle Jim another try!

Gat dang, Jungle Jim! That's two weeks in a row! :stare:

• Locked thread