Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

alex314 posted:

Killing off Dwarfs as VC is no fun. Painfully slow slog as your units succumb to attrition with no chance of recovery. Raise dead can give poo poo tier stuff and fighting dwarf late game armies is horrible 1 on 1.

What I did on my pretty successful very hard campaign was immediately after clearing out slyvania and making the other vampires my vassals to guard against empire, I immediately started work on clearing out the dwarves surrounding me so I'd never have to worry about defending that area of the map.

Rush to get 2-3 vargheist in a couple of armies and some graveguards to deal with the infantry and you'll have more trouble with attrition then dwarven armies, I sacked the cities south of me before razing, razed everything in the north.

gently caress dwarves, they always backstab when your armies are away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Needs to go in the OP

Right, I think a helpful OP is particularly important to this game as the crossover appeal brings in Warhammer fans who may have never played a Total War game before.

So just to keep a tally/bug Yggdrasil, OP needs:

That post http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=460649122#post460649122

A link to a post with a list of provinces with unique buildings and how to spec the province with this in mind (e.g. Middenland - Cavalry and Witch Hunters/Warrior Priests). I can make thisnof no one else is up for it

A link to the formation/group explainer someone posted earlier, or just an explainer itself

A note that mods exist for agents and army travel, as training wheels or for people who just prefer to not deal with that

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I'm way behind in this thread but my Sigvald basically soloed him :smuggo:
Sarth went straight for Archaon and got smashed, and his buddy split off to run after Sigvald (I'd set up a pincer on their spawn). The whole thing was over in one turn.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Decided to restart my Greenskins campaign at turn 60 so I can make some more intelligent early-game decisions and hopefully savescum less.

Is it possible to absorb the rival Greenskin clans or will I inevitably have to kill them all?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Even with battle difficulty ratcheted back down to Not Horrible dwarves on VH are exactly what it says on the tin. :stare:

Just got mashed by Grimgor with a Waaghstack, with another hostile tribe durdling in with its own full stack. My battle line with garrison support almost won that one but there were a few boyz too many.

It still seems crazy to me that dwarves are supposed to be the easy faction. Personally I think VC have the easiest start.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

cheese posted:

Can someone give me a 30 second guide on starting as Chaos? I think I hosed my campaign as I started a second stack right off the back and got it killed. When do I want to awaken and when do I want to subjugate? Who should I go after first?

Here are a random bunch of spergy chaos thoughts and hints from like 150 turns of chaos:

-I'm playing on normal with Kholek (then Sigvald, and then eventually the other guy but I don't use him for any tough battles). Basically, put your first 4 skill points in the +10% movement one (every general should have this anyway) and 3 ranks of the + horde population one (the faster your horde grows the quicker you get new horde buildings which get you better units and other upgrades). Spam chaos marauders. They are actually decent low level troops and they are super cheap and have next to know upkeep. Early on, never end a turn not in encamp state and not hiring more marauders. Also once you get the poison chaos warhounds try to get 4 or so of those, they do a good job fending off those annoying missile cavalry (they are also great at killing artillery and ranged, but you really won't run into those much).

-Don't worry too much about upkeep costs. I always run between -3k and -6k upkeep and I still have almost 150k favor. Always be sacking.

-Some people might not like this so take it or leave it, but I quickly got annoyed fighting battles against all those skirmishing horse cavalry the barbarians like to spam you with so I started auto completing those battles with mass chaos marauders. It's cheesy, but then again so is wasting a half hour of your time every battle chasing around 2 units of horse marauders.

-I didn't actually start my second horde until later, but maybe I'll give it a try next time. The earlier you start a horde, the quicker they will get decent horde buildings. Even though technically you can share troops, your hordes will take attrition when they are close to each other and the upkeep cost will get rather expensive (notice how most buildings are like 'You can now recruit unit X. Unit X costs -20% upkeep'). The only time I really bothered exchanging troops was for difficult quest battles (Kholek's weapon battle was easy but I thought Sigvald's were both pretty difficult).

-Raise your main horde building whenever you can, and raise the first recruit building you start with to 2 to get access to poison hounds (gently caress those horse marauders, I never bothered). The most obvious and correct building that every army should have is the warrior/chosen line. This line is your meat and potatoes. My favorites after that were the forsaken line (gives you chaos sorcerers and adds lots of + to your chaos corruption) and chaos knight line (great cavalry unit and buildings give you some favor every turn as a bonus).

-Always be fighting, especially in the north. I took another goon's advice and awakened tribes and then immediately attacked them and subjugated them the next turn. The good thing is that then they won't kill each other. The bad news is that they are pretty retarded and will constantly send their armies to the south to die while the barbarians or dwarfs next door destroy them and wipe them out of the game. I started several chaos campaigns and was never able to save the 'beornling's camp' faction near where you start unless I basically camped out there forever, which was and is a bad idea so don't worry about losing it.

-Still, it's good to have subjugated allies since your armies will heal very fast in their territory (they will heal even if you are out of encamp stance, and they will double heal while in encamp stance). Try to defend them against nearby armies, but don't be afraid to move on. Some factions are just dumb as hell and will never bother to take over any ruins and expand, leaving them to die to the first stack that happens upon them. It's more aggravating than it's worth to worry about these factions (they obviously aren't worthy).

-If you are trying to keep your tribes alive don't forget to wipe that group of dwarfs up north or they will wander over and kill them eventually.

-I recommend basically going 'west' from your start location. I would sometimes go into the Kislev territories and sack a settlement or two, but in general I think they are a little too tough to be fighting early, and it's very slow to heal your army there.

-Gorebeast chariots are bugged right now and have a stupid low upkeep. They are decent units but need a lot of babysitting since they have a great charge but kind of suck stuck in battle.

-Chaos sorcerers are great agents. Make sure to constantly be using them against targets. Even if they fail they get xp. Try and recruit ones with the 'sneaky' trait (extra +5% to campaign actions). At least level their blue line until they get the ability to block enemy movement. This stops the annoying AI habit of constantly staying just out of your range.

- I recommend leveling a chaos warrior hero as a pure combat guy. Mine is level 27 or so now and rides a wyvern around and kicks rear end like a legendary lord. He is a huge bargain for his cost and now he dismantles empire artillery and ranged units with ease.

- For the most part I ignore the chaos 'quests', but keep an eye on them because sometimes they are easy (like 'raid the province you are now standing in').

edit: also don't forget to always be researching tech. I can't remember if it's the 3rd or 4th chaos 'tree' that has a +10% movement and + recovery buff to all your armies which is pretty amazing.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 4, 2016

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Sinteres posted:

It still seems crazy to me that dwarves are supposed to be the easy faction. Personally I think VC have the easiest start.

Dwarfs are easy if you bunker up until Grimgor smashes himself against your defences. After that you've got breathing space to expand, with allies protecting the north and west, and nothing to the east.

Start questing before that and it's easy to get destroyed.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Sinteres posted:

I also happen to love VC the most out of the five, having messed around on normal and/or hard with all five, so that's fine by me. :v:

Edit: Sass, that's what I did. :argh:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Deified Data posted:

Decided to restart my Greenskins campaign at turn 60 so I can make some more intelligent early-game decisions and hopefully savescum less.

Is it possible to absorb the rival Greenskin clans or will I inevitably have to kill them all?

Kill them all. If your lucky you should be able to wipe out the dwarfs stupidly fast since they only have one provience above you when you start. Then you can just go south.

I like to build a 20 stack even before taking iron keep. So when you waaagh you just tear rear end north and then right back down.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Grognan posted:

Don't be at war with ALL of them at the same time. Pick a faction or two and stomp them into the ground. Accept peace deals for people you aren't fighting next turn. Stay in their face and get mad fighty.

On top of this, if you have a enemy city near your next planned front, raze the city to the ground and you can keep your armies in raiding stance there. Since nobody controls a razed settlement there is no worry about kicking off other wars. You won't make money raiding but it'll keep your fighting meter up.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Personally I think Chaos is the easiest start out of everything I've tried so far (which is everything but boring old Empire)

Something about not really having to worry about defending lands makes for some easy going early game for me, anyways. I just ride around with Archaeon awakening and then fighting the awakened tribes like I'm bipolar Jesus.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Tenzarin posted:

Kill them all. If your lucky you should be able to wipe out the dwarfs stupidly fast since they only have one provience above you when you start. Then you can just go south.

I like to build a 20 stack even before taking iron keep. So when you waaagh you just tear rear end north and then right back down.

Should I attempt to do that ASAP or wait until I get Big Uns and Boar Riders?

Also are there general guidelines for when you should occupy or destroy a city?

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 4, 2016

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Deified Data posted:

I just make my full stack from the shield tier 1 guys, your waaagh stack will spawn with archers. The thing is you need like 17/18 stack to even spawn the waaagh.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Deified Data posted:

Also are there general guidelines for when you should occupy or destroy a city?

Sack all the cities, and then either occupy or raze. Raze humans and vamps after sacking. Goblins are great filler 'cause they can go around and flank things well. If they get shot, noone cares. Getting your first waauuugh up is basically winning the game after turn 4-5.

Edit: Unless you are Dwarfs or Empire, give no fucks about how steadfast you are in diplomacy. That poo poo regenerates incredibly fast. If someone wants to throw money at you and you actually aren't seizing one of their settlements take it and they will usually focus on someone weaker than you,

Grognan fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 4, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Honestly from my experiences with diplomacy even on very hard you can be a dick diplomatically and so long as you keep your power decently high nobody will gently caress with you. I broke alliances with the other dwarves and border princes and like 30 turns later they weren't even mad because of my other actions and the occasional gift.

The broader princes had a trade agreement with me literally the entire game, even the turn after I broke my military alliance with them.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Dwarves were decimated...that was cathartic after how much trouble they gave me on my first attempt.

I'm doing my best to keep my momentum going with my Waaagh! but should I leave any buffer zones in the north if I want to head south? I don't want to keep heading north and leave a bunch of sneaky tribes and those Azul dwarfs behind me.

Also no save-scumming yet. I'm very proud of myself.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Deified Data posted:

Dwarves were decimated...that was cathartic after how much trouble they gave me on my first attempt.

I'm doing my best to keep my momentum going with my Waaagh! but should I leave any buffer zones in the north if I want to head south? I don't want to keep heading north and leave a bunch of sneaky tribes and those Azul dwarfs behind me.

Also no save-scumming yet. I'm very proud of myself.

Everything north of the silver road usually tends to never come south.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is there any point to leaving the other vampire factions alive? The edicts I can issue in completely controlled provinces seem too good to pass up, but it looks like I won't be trading with anyone if I wipe them out.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

fnordcircle posted:

Personally I think Chaos is the easiest start out of everything I've tried so far (which is everything but boring old Empire)

Something about not really having to worry about defending lands makes for some easy going early game for me, anyways. I just ride around with Archaeon awakening and then fighting the awakened tribes like I'm bipolar Jesus.

The very start of chaos is easy, but imo it gets harder since everyone hates you, the north is very hard to subjugate, you have to go go go all the time or run out of favor, and the chaos event happens right behind you. Prior to chaos I played a dwarf campaign which sort of felt like the reverse. Once I weathered the initial orc storm and got an economy going I was basically on cruise control. I never even saw chaos before somebody else took care of them.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 4, 2016

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
There sure are alot of nothing turns after the mid point of the game. The map is so large, having to go back and forth really eats turns.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
So after a lots and lots of restarts, I finally managed to stuck to a particular Empire starts and things went well:

I rushed to conquer Marienburg and Middenheim early, while showering Nordland and Wisseland with gifts and making Military alliances with them, gobbed few more provinces due to inevitable wars they dragged me into, made Non-aggression pacts and trade agreements with Bretonia and dwarfs and due to fact that my north, south and western borders were secured, I managed to make do with only 2 armies, thus getting pretty ridiculous income, but everyone else in Empire hated me because I expanded too fast. Then the first chaos invasion happened and because Skaeling and Varn factions were rank 1 and 2 in strength, they promptly ate Kislev and everyone freaked out, me included, because most of my provinces were in north and north-east and some even bordered Kislev which turned into burning, chaos-invested ruins, oh and also Vampires got pissed that everyone ignored them and decided to join the fun too. At turn 60 I was pretty much ready to restart again, because in North, 6 friggin Skaeling stacks were getting ready to pile-up on my city garrisoned with one of my armies led by generic Empire General, while in south, 2 stacks of Vampire Counts, led by Mannfred, Kemmler were preparing to do the same against my one army led by Balthasar Gelt. Then I discovered that my General in the North had Lighting Strike and that Lighting Strike is ridiculously broken, as I attacked and crushed one Skaeling stack after another in 1v1 battles, despite the fact that they were almost literally stacked on top of each other. Well, thanks to Lighting Strike all that accomplished was that I got to destroy all six stacks in one turn. In South I had probably one of the most difficult tactical battles in TW ever, that I won pretty much thanks to sniping Mannfred with repeated Final Transmutations before he did anything (and also because Kemmler is pretty useless, I'm not sure he did anything the whole battle before he got cut apart by Halberds). After that, the whole Empire became a giant hugbox, because everyone was at war with Chaos and Norsca, everyone was massacring/being massacred by Chaos and Norsca and thus everyone loved each other and had mutual Military alliances with each other, which in turn increased the love even more and once allied, Nordland, Ostmark, Tabbenheim and Ostenland actually managed to stop the Chaos invasion on their own, while I silently dismantled Vampire Counts in the south.

The game actually went a bit too well, as I got a Game Over screen at turn 93, apparently fulfilling all Victory objectives for Long Campaign before Archeon even managed to spawn and begin the End Times. Welp. :v:

TL:DR - the game is so good, it forced me to write after-action report. Also Lighting Strike is broken good and will ruin multi-stack armies, get it ASAP.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

One thing I don't really like about the lategame is how there ends up only being like 4 other factions due to confederation. It makes the map feel kinda dead.

Shumagorath posted:

Is there any point to leaving the other vampire factions alive? The edicts I can issue in completely controlled provinces seem too good to pass up, but it looks like I won't be trading with anyone if I wipe them out.

If you're on good terms with them, you can count on them to defend that border to some extent. With all of the bonuses the AI gets, they'll be able to station a whole lot more troops there for that purpose than you'd be able to just by gaining +1 city.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 4, 2016

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Vargs posted:

One thing I don't really like about the lategame is how there ends up only being like 4 other factions due to confederation. It makes the map feel kinda dead.

Is there a mod to disable NPC Confederation?

That would be awesome.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So, my (hard) Dwarf campaign... I don't think I ever had a start this lucky in any TW game. :stare:

This is the situation. In turn 30. Zhufbar and Karak Kadrin both confederated me, the latter after taking the whole northern World's Edge Mountains. Mannfred is too chicken to mess with me. I pushed for Gunbad first and am now besieging Black Crag with Thorgrim, while Grimgor is bogged down in a war against four other Orc tribes, Barak Varr and Kharak Azul. I'm seriously thinking about just taking Death Pass and then bunkering down for thirty turns or so to build infrastructure and research.

Magni fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 4, 2016

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Boar chariots don't gently caress about.

In retrospect it was a mistake to spread my lines out to limit the damage the catapult might do.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

It looks like there is a Steam achievement for building every faction specific 'special' building if anyone is making a list.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

If there's one thing that will never cease to be satisfying, it's smacking Archaon in the face with so many cannonballs at once that he turns and runs before his army makes contact. Archaon the Everfleeing.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Yeah the empty map midgame is a big bummer for me. You beat up your neighbors, finish doing a bunch of slot micro, and now you have a cool T2 army... and nobody to fight. This has actually happened to me two different campaigns in a row.

In general getting around the map feels like more trouble than it should be. Here's some thoughts on that:

Agent movement should be further than unit movement. If I need to move an agent to the other end of my empire to go deal with an enemy agent, having it take 3-4 turns really sucks. Often I'll only have one dude that can effectively kill high level enemy agents so he needs to go where the high level dudes are. I'd like to spend less time moving agents around if I have to use them.

I dig the ideas of corruption and asymmetric movement and considerations. Practically, it just ends up being annoying. If you're the dwarfs, you can't just right click a destination if you want to use underground. You have to click the armies and move them every turn.

Map stuff that annoys: The poo poo with the rivers in the middle of VC territory can gently caress off. I have to end my movement if I want to cross the river? There's no alternative? 4 turns to cross two provinces in my own territory? What the gently caress.

Finally the big impassable sections like that separate the dwarf lands into a north / south section are annoying to deal with. I understand they intentionally didn't want you to be able to get through there, but the end result is that your empire as the dwarfs is divided into two sections. You're going to have to have a northern army and a southern army that can't support each other without taking 5 turns to walk from one area to the other. Oh and you can't que movement if you want to go through the VC territory, which is shorter.

So in both cases, the VC are not able to defend themselves very well due to the rivers blocking their army movement and letting the enemy run around them, and the dwarfs have real issues holding both the north and south of the map. I am not sure this adds to the gameplay in either case.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Oh one more chaos campaign tip. A ton of the LL quests involve sending a chaos sorcerer to a region close to where you started, so it will save you some time to get one there if the quests are coming.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm surprised to hear that Runesmiths are combat badasses. I got the +growth and -corruption map talents and used them to bring newly conquered provinces up to speed.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm surprised to hear that Runesmiths are combat badasses. I got the +growth and -corruption map talents and used them to bring newly conquered provinces up to speed.

All agents are combat badasses. It's one of the best parts of this game.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Yeah, thanks game, that'll be real useful...

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
After restarting my Orc campaign and taking the advice of this thread to start conquering North instead of South I've made twice the progress in half the time.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

For Chaos, when the bird rear end in a top hat comes after you, how is the spawn point determined? On my campaign he and his armies appeared just north of Akendorf (the northern most border prince providence). I had two armies near there wiping out the VC, so it worked out well enough thanks to lighting strikes and reinforcing my armies. The best moment was when I 'lost' a battle with about 1:1 casualties (but massive enemy numbers caused a rout), but before the battle ended Sigvald solo'ed the greater daemon and my other generic lord wiped out all their doom cannons with his trusty chaos dragon. I was able to wipe out the whole invasion with just those two stacks after that, but it was touch and go at time.

If anyone else tries to do a chaos playthrough, the tips from before are really helpful:
1. Recruit a second stack on your 1-2 turn. Seriously. That generic lord was level 30 by turn 100 in my game due to how much fighting he did.
2. Awaken every tribe you can, then attack and subjugate them right afterward.
3. Raze the Varg and Skaelings to the loving ground. I tried to subjugate them and they betrayed me first chance someone new declared war on me, then started attacking my loyal vassals.
4. Death and metal wizards are the best options. Send one off to permanently deploy in Bearsonling's Camp (good use for any other lore if the game gives you them). You'll thank me later.
5. Sack, encamp, then raze every city. The weakened garrison next turn will not be able to do much damage after the first sack, and you'll end up with fat stacks of favor. I had >100k after buying every research before turn 30. Only takes slightly longer than just razing the first turn.
6. When you first get a new lord started, pick a lovely nearby town to have them sack every turn to get levels quickly with just some marauders and warhounds. Using the sack->encamp method will let you build up their structures at the same time.
7. Someone else mentioned you can buddy up with the orcs pretty easily at the start of the game. I forgot about trying that, but may be worth considering.
8. As mentioned before, lighting strike is pretty broken. Its super helpful for chaos since it lets you separate stacks out and thus don't need to worry about bringing in several stacks together (and suffer infighting because of it)
9. I would say the starting choice is between the everbland (discounted upkeep is pretty tempting) and doom mountain incarnate. Sigvald and Archaon are both easy to recruit, so don't worry about getting them; I started with Kholek so I don't know how hard it is to get him. When I took Aldorf, Kholek solo'ed the steam tank like it was nothing, and throughout the whole game he was at the front breaking every enemy line.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
So, apparently Barak Varr will join your confederation pretty easily on like turn 2. My first campaign the last like 50 turns were steamrolling over them as they wouldn't make an alliance with me and they had taken over like 50% of the southern Greenskin cities. I feel dumb.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Rakthar posted:

VC river issues

Wouldn't these help to slow down invading armies as well? Given how compact VC territory is.

Reik posted:

So, apparently Barak Varr will join your confederation pretty easily on like turn 2. My first campaign the last like 50 turns were steamrolling over them as they wouldn't make an alliance with me and they had taken over like 50% of the southern Greenskin cities. I feel dumb.

It’s not a sure thing, I tried and tried to confederate that sweet port but they weren't having it until turn 30ish.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Reik posted:

Maybe yes, maybe no. The AI factions' traits are random (within a certain tolerance). In my normal playthrough, BV and Zhufbar both had underdog, meaning they were easy to confederate, and Karak Kadrin had dwarfen distrust, which made them much harder. On my hard playthrough, BV and Zhufbar both had dwarfen distrust, and Karak Kadrin didn't.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
drat, Grimgor figured out the perfect dwarf counter.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

rockopete posted:

It’s not a sure thing, I tried and tried to confederate that sweet port but they weren't having it until turn 30ish.

They generally confederate when they're losing a war. Just wait for the orcs to raid them then ask for it and they'll usually go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Any word on a patch yet?

• Locked thread