Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute
Does anyone have brand recommendations for children's helmets? My kid is getting interested in riding with me. I guess I should just take her to a local shop and try stuff on, but wanted to know if anyone else has any recommendations based on their experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

UnkleBoB posted:

Does anyone have brand recommendations for children's helmets? My kid is getting interested in riding with me. I guess I should just take her to a local shop and try stuff on, but wanted to know if anyone else has any recommendations based on their experience.

Dirt or street? How old?

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute
Street, just for riding on the bike with me. She's 9.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

UnkleBoB posted:

Street, just for riding on the bike with me. She's 9.

Whatever is local so she can try it on and DOT approved.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Gmax and hjc make youth full face. The hjc seem to fit very similar to the bilt ones, so I'd fit her into a bilt at a cyclegear then order the hjc (if you can't find youth helmets at a local shop, that is).

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
HJC. Don't touch Gmax or BiLT (aside from sizing). Remember folks, DOT randomly tests helmets after the manufacturer puts them on the shelf. Passing the standard is not a prerequisite.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Having handled both in person, I'd say the HJC is definitely of better quality than the Gmax. Multiple paint schemes that kids tend to like, too.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Lynza posted:

Ola: That's been my experience. I'm lucky that I'm a tall, fat chick, so I can wear men's stuff without much trouble. I weep for smaller, shorter, curvier women who have to make do with women's stuff. Most of it is pretty awful and not nearly the quality you'd see with a comparable men's item. I feel like it's made for women passengers, not women riders.

Weep for taller, curvier women too. Try 6'1" with J-cups and a black woman's rear end and hips. That's the dilemma facing my wife. Women's gear will never be large enough for her height, mens gear never has enough room for boobs and hips/rear end.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
For gear raving, most of my stuff is decent. Apart from hot summer days, it's very comfortable, I never get the omg get this poo poo off me feeling unless it's hot. I've worn my oxtar infinity boots all day at work and lived in my leathers on a weekend trip. But I don't have anything I think is outstandingly good.

Has anyone modded their gear?

I've added armor to some overpants that didn't have any, moved or modified armor pockets to fit better, covered over a vent on a pair of gloves that weren't really summer gloves, but the vent made them too cold to use in even 60 degree weather.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
The zipper pull on my a-stars jacket came off, so I put a keyring on it. Works even better now. :haw:

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.
I'm looking for an alternative to my RevIt overpants that look less dorky to walk around in when I'm out on a day trip. It looks like I should either get a pair of armored jeans like the Klim K Fifty 1, or get some arrmored underpants like Bohn (jesus what a terrible website) and wear jeans over them. The underpants thing seems like it might be slightly cooler in the Austin heat. Anyone have some experience with either of these?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Anyone have any experience with the garmin virb/elite? The original flavour one is going for £90 now, any particular bugs/aggravations that stand out?

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

predictive posted:

I'm looking for an alternative to my RevIt overpants that look less dorky to walk around in when I'm out on a day trip. It looks like I should either get a pair of armored jeans like the Klim K Fifty 1, or get some arrmored underpants like Bohn (jesus what a terrible website) and wear jeans over them. The underpants thing seems like it might be slightly cooler in the Austin heat. Anyone have some experience with either of these?

Get mesh, normal armored tights insulate pretty well. Make sure the hip armor actually looks like it'll cover your hips. The kind I have the hip armor sits really low on the thigh and I'm not sure why (Dainese Norsorex - I do not recommend them). I've been considering getting a pair of Dainese Hard Shorts. They're mesh for hot summers, the armor looks like it'll sit in the right spots, and the plastic is probably a bit more abrasive resistant then just impact foam/rubber/magic.

You'd still need knee/shin guards though.

Having said all that, I to would like suggestions for armored pants that don't look dorky as gently caress. I always feel like I'm either a sex criminal or wearing bell-bottoms. Sometimes both.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Dainese D1 evo and bonneville regular, or Revit Austin (maybe some other fits, haven't tried them all). They all fit pretty much like normal jeans and have low profile soft armor that doesn't stand out. The Revit stuff is a little more comfortable to me because they have some stretch and the liner feels nicer.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Lexorin posted:

Get mesh, normal armored tights insulate pretty well. Make sure the hip armor actually looks like it'll cover your hips. The kind I have the hip armor sits really low on the thigh and I'm not sure why (Dainese Norsorex - I do not recommend them). I've been considering getting a pair of Dainese Hard Shorts. They're mesh for hot summers, the armor looks like it'll sit in the right spots, and the plastic is probably a bit more abrasive resistant then just impact foam/rubber/magic.

You'd still need knee/shin guards though.

Having said all that, I to would like suggestions for armored pants that don't look dorky as gently caress. I always feel like I'm either a sex criminal or wearing bell-bottoms. Sometimes both.

Kim Dakar. Pretend every ride is a rally.

Edit: in the boot. Obviously.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

predictive posted:

Lexorin posted:

What kind of cut are you guys looking for?

Loose cut: Klim K51's (VERY loose), Scorpion Covert Pro (no armor; pockets for hip+knee), Rev'it Philly
Straight/tapered cut: Rev'it Austin, A/S Copper, Dai Bonneville Regular
Slim cut (511ish): A/S Oscar Charlie, Dai D1 EVO, Dai Bonneville Slim

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.

-Inu- posted:

What kind of cut are you guys looking for?

Loose cut: Klim K51's (VERY loose), Scorpion Covert Pro (no armor; pockets for hip+knee), Rev'it Philly
Straight/tapered cut: Rev'it Austin, A/S Copper, Dai Bonneville Regular
Slim cut (511ish): A/S Oscar Charlie, Dai D1 EVO, Dai Bonneville Slim

The ideal be a pair of 501s with kevlar and hip/knee armor that still look like 501s off the bike, but I realize that may not be realistic. Given your recommendation, I might try the Dainese Bonneville.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

predictive posted:

The ideal be a pair of 501s with kevlar and hip/knee armor that still look like 501s off the bike, but I realize that may not be realistic. Given your recommendation, I might try the Dainese Bonneville.
It's certainly realistic. Jeans have reached a point where they all offer basically the same protection, so you can choose a pair based on looks rather than protection. Bonneville should be perfect. The knee armor is super thin so it's not noticeable but it's still CE1. Same with the optional hip armor. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXj5dr1JlOE

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Renaissance Robot posted:

Anyone have any experience with the garmin virb/elite? The original flavour one is going for £90 now, any particular bugs/aggravations that stand out?

I have one, and the major complaint for me is the battery life. If you have a battery pack or can plug it in while you ride, it should be fine. The quality is good and I like the thing in general. It's less dorky looking to me than the big square Go Pro.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I've heard it can be a pain getting longer videos off the thing, confirm/deny?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Just replaced my Exo-r410 (realized I bought it too big) for an exo-t1200. It's so loving comfy, the liner is really soft material and it fits my head perfectly. Really happy with it.

Also, inflatable cheek pads like reebok pumps!

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Renaissance Robot posted:

I've heard it can be a pain getting longer videos off the thing, confirm/deny?

I haven't had an issue with it, but I don't have experience with other cameras so I don't know if how long it takes is bad or not.

It does take some time to transfer the long ones.

This one is about 5 minutes, and took less than that to transfer. I added some stupid music to see how the editing software worked, and it's basic but solid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEXOCBrCkbQ

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is the Ogio Mach 5 any good? I'm looking for a hi-viz backpack to carry my laptop and lunch during my commute and it seems to be well-reviewed. Should I spend that much on a backpack, though?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Lynza posted:

I haven't had an issue with it, but I don't have experience with other cameras so I don't know if how long it takes is bad or not.

It does take some time to transfer the long ones.

This one is about 5 minutes, and took less than that to transfer. I added some stupid music to see how the editing software worked, and it's basic but solid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEXOCBrCkbQ

Grieg? Stupid? :bahgawd:

That looks like an idyllic way to spend the morning!

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

IAmKale posted:

Is the Ogio Mach 5 any good? I'm looking for a hi-viz backpack to carry my laptop and lunch during my commute and it seems to be well-reviewed. Should I spend that much on a backpack, though?

I've been using one for about 3 years and love mine. It really makes a difference on how much the wind pulls at you when compared to a normal backpack. It doesn't have a huge capacity, though. If you have a large laptop, it may get cramped with lunch in there too.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein

Ola posted:

Grieg? Stupid? :bahgawd:

That looks like an idyllic way to spend the morning!

Nah, I love Grieg, actually. Some people thought it was twee of me to use Morning Mood as my morning commute video song.

Now, imagine going around that big sweepy right-turn corner near the beginning and OH HELLO A HUGE TRUCK TOWING A BACKHOE GOING BACKWARDS. Such fun.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

T-Bags Sportster bag clip broke, finally emailed them about a fix. Incoming free replacement tail bag on Monday.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein

IAmKale posted:

I have one and I like it a lot. BUT I don't know if your laptop will fit. The Ogio is pretty roomy, but it's a hard shell, so there's expansion, but if your laptop is too big, it just ain't gonna fit. There's no jimmying it into position.

I have a 15" or so laptop that fits. Much bigger than that, and it probably wouldn't. Great backpack, though.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Lynza posted:

I have one and I like it a lot. BUT I don't know if your laptop will fit. The Ogio is pretty roomy, but it's a hard shell, so there's expansion, but if your laptop is too big, it just ain't gonna fit. There's no jimmying it into position.

I have a 15" or so laptop that fits. Much bigger than that, and it probably wouldn't. Great backpack, though.
Thanks for clarifying that, I couldn't find anything definitive on that. I have one 14" and one 15" laptop so it sounds like I'll be fine.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

How do we feel about the AGV Sport Misano leather jacket and Willow leather pants? Assuming they fit me well.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/agv-sport-misano-perforated-leather-jacket
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/agv-sport-willow-perforated-leather-pants

I've currently got Dainese sporty/commuter leather jacket and riding jeans. Looking for a bit more protection while riding in the mountains. And hopefully the odd track day.

Probably also get some Dainese Torque Out D1 boots and Dainese 4 Stroke Long gloves to go with it. Currently have Alpinestar Mx 1 boots and their lower end winter gloves.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-torque-out-d1-boots
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-4-stroke-long-gloves

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
Anyone else have an HJC IS-17 (the one with the internal sun visor)? I got it on clearance at a local shop and later noticed that the sun visor wasn't all that dark. Looks like they sell replacement visors but reviews state they are not much darker.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
That's par for the course from what I've seen on a lot of internal visors. Main visors seem to be darker when you're comparing tint.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

That seems normal with all the internal visors I've tried before as well.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
I have the precursor, the IS-16. Same issue. Really annoying, since the airflow means that I can't wear sunglasses under the visor without them fogging instantly.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Love the transition visor for my Bell RS1. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Ive been using the flip down visor on my exo-1200. Its not as dark as my other helmets replacement screen, but its dark enough imo. I like it a lot, the only issue I am having is that because it is not as large as a full shield, there is a glare off of my speedo's glossy/glasslike surface that I never noticed before, and it gets me right under the flip down visor.

I was considering some sort of matte finish clear covering to put on it so I don't get such a hellacious stabbing glare in my eyes randomly during the day. Any thoughts on this?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Scorpion helmets with an internal sun shade come with a light smoke shade, but they do sell a dark smoke internal visor you can swap in.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
If internal visors were too dark it'd gently caress you up in bright light since they're open at the bottom. Like yeah the visor fills your field of view when your eyes are up but you're still getting a bunch of light bleeding into your lower peripheral vision and if the difference is too much you will absolutely get killer eye strain, and that poo poo physically hurts.

Source: wearing ill-fitting very dark sunglasses on too many holidays to the Med.

All you really want out of an internal sun visor is on-demand glare reduction, if it's constantly super bright then get a smoke or mirror main visor. Or one of those new adv helmets with an MX style shade.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I loving love the shade on My Schubert E1, I usually keep it at the middle setting. Now that summer temps have finally arrived with 75f/24C ++ degrees in the shade I could test the summer position of the vents and I can say that the air flow is drat nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
It's 100 degree days like this that make me want a mesh jacket. Perforated leather is great, but it's still too hot.