Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

RC Cola posted:

Karsa is the worst

I'm pretty sure everyone reading HoC for the first time makes this comment.
Crippled God update: Not enough Karsa yet, but apparently he's sleeping with Samar Dev now. About goddamn time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

RC Cola posted:

He just gets worse

Keep reading witnessing. Karsa is arguably the best character in the series. I still like Ganoes Paran and Trull Sengar better but I'm in the huge minority here and Karsa loving owns.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of characters I like, and reading the thread and seeing what characters you guys like, there's something I've noticed, in this thread and the Malazan re-read and it's even something Erikson addressed in the Q&A:

NSA DOCUMENT GO!

Whole Series - Do not touch this until you finish The Crippled God! You notice that Tavore is literally no one's favorite character. No matter what she does or how she does it, there's always someone else who captivates you. Someone else who gets your attention. Granted, it doesn't help that Fiddler is in her army from day 1. Until the last battle in TCG nothing is ever truly spoken from her POV, and Erikson did that on purpose. He basically said that her mind and her pain and her very soul were grounds that he was not meant to walk in, and to do so would violate the character she was meant to be, and he refused to do it. I find that so interesting in a series built on multi-novel character development arcs. Of course you see Tavore grow as time goes on but you never see anything from her POV. Until that moment where she finally loses it, and Ganoes has to disarm her before she shoves three feet of steel into his face. That moment, where Tavore finally falls apart, is probably the most touching of the whole series. You spend five books waiting for it, but it's worth the wait. Yes, she is human. She did all this because she wanted to liberate a tortured god and get her family back. She didn't manage to get her sister but she finally got her brother. Good lord my eyes are welling up just typing this and I've already read the series twice.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

cptn_dr posted:

I'm pretty sure everyone reading HoC for the first time makes this comment.
Crippled God update: Not enough Karsa yet, but apparently he's sleeping with Samar Dev now. About goddamn time.

Please keep reading and please keep posting. When you finish the book, read my spoilers that I've left across the last 20 or so pages of the thread, and those others have posted too - just avoid the ones regarding Forge of Darkness and Fall of Light.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Fenrir posted:

Keep reading witnessing. Karsa is arguably the best character in the series. I still like Ganoes Paran and Trull Sengar better but I'm in the huge minority here and Karsa loving owns.

If you think that makes you a huge minority, my favorite is Kallor.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Khizan posted:

I did come around a bit on Kallor but far from my favorite so yeah.. if he's your favorite in the series you probably really are in the minority. Especially after [MoI] He killed Whiskeyjack

Also I think this might be a fun exercise for Malazan fans, though it's probably been done before.

Name your.. eh.. there are so many so let's say top 5 Malazan characters.

Ganoes Paran
Trull Sengar
Karsa Orlong
Tehol Beddict
Hellian

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jun 4, 2016

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Fenrir posted:

I did come around a bit on Kallor but far from my favorite so yeah.. if he's your favorite in the series you probably really are in the minority. Especially after [MoI] He killed Whiskeyjack

Also I think this might be a fun exercise for Malazan fans, though it's probably been done before.

Name your.. eh.. there are so many so let's say top 5 Malazan characters.

Ganoes Paran
Trull Sengar
Karsa Orlong
Tehol Beddict
Hellian

Normal characters :
Fiddler
Kruppe
Iskaral Pust
Yedan Derryg
Gesler/Stormy/Bent

Cause Mael, Shadowthrone, hood and Gothos are kinda obvious.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Gesler/Stormy are probably around 7 or 8 on my list, I feel it's impossible to separate them. Erikson apparently did too. They are pretty great. Kruppe is a controversial pick but I can definitely see how some can probably love or hate him.

I left out Hood for pretty much the same reasons as you. [Whole series don't read this unless you've read it all!] He's really loving cool but he doesn't get a truly proper characterization until TTH. That alone wouldn't stop me but he kept like... god power. He reclaimed the abandoned throne of Omtose Phellack when he came back to the world of the living and I just felt like that would be cheating. The funniest part is that even in the books they say he basically cheated the whole "game" of life and death. And the coolest part was, he encouraged his priests/followers to cheat him at every opportunity possible. Deadsmell is the best example of this - he was a practitioner of Hood's Warren and had at some point spoken to Hood himself - Hood told him to cheat him whenever he could. Steal the mortals from his grasp and keep them alive as much as you can. That's why a priest of death was able to be a powerful squad healer.

Also I think my thing for Ganoes has to do with a bit of reflection on myself. I was in the military for 10 years and never gave that much of a gently caress about respecting authority for the sake of authority, or doing the political dance, and he hit that nerve so well.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jun 4, 2016

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Karsa is definitely one of the worst. Starts terrible, gets briefly okay, then a long nosedive into terrible again.

Khizan posted:

Kallor is good but for all the crying and moping in... Toll the Hounds? Suddenly becomes a self-pitying bitch for some reason.

I've put TCG down at the start of the last book, when Ganoes and Quick have a chat about who's the bestest and coolest of Erikson's characters, and come up with Fiddler (so tough Quick doesn't even have to think about his answer) and Tavore (was out-thinking Fists when she was 4 years old, apparently. Shame she either hosed up or was bailed out by *magic* in every military engagement she actually commanded for real, plus her obsession with keeping unfit or outright mutinous people in charge of most of her army).

Tavore loving sucks.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

sassassin posted:

self-pitying bitch

Maybe you should just :getout:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
His reaction to Spinnock Durav standing against him would have been way better had he not been bawling his eyes out for the whole week prior.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Speaking of bawling...

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Fenrir posted:

Gesler/Stormy are probably around 7 or 8 on my list, I feel it's impossible to separate them. Erikson apparently did too. They are pretty great. Kruppe is a controversial pick but I can definitely see how some can probably love or hate him.

I left out Hood for pretty much the same reasons as you. [Whole series don't read this unless you've read it all!] He's really loving cool but he doesn't get a truly proper characterization until TTH. That alone wouldn't stop me but he kept like... god power. He reclaimed the abandoned throne of Omtose Phellack when he came back to the world of the living and I just felt like that would be cheating. The funniest part is that even in the books they say he basically cheated the whole "game" of life and death. And the coolest part was, he encouraged his priests/followers to cheat him at every opportunity possible. Deadsmell is the best example of this - he was a practitioner of Hood's Warren and had at some point spoken to Hood himself - Hood told him to cheat him whenever he could. Steal the mortals from his grasp and keep them alive as much as you can. That's why a priest of death was able to be a powerful squad healer.

Also I think my thing for Ganoes has to do with a bit of reflection on myself. I was in the military for 10 years and never gave that much of a gently caress about respecting authority for the sake of authority, or doing the political dance, and he hit that nerve so well.

Although my list was probably outdated as soon as I wrote it. There are no shortage of characters in eriksons work that I like. I can easily put in characters like the demon overlords from MT/RG, pearl, nimander, spinnock, bauchelain/korbal broach.

The strength of eriksons writing have never been the powerful characters like quick Ben, karsa, tehol or whomever, instead it is the less powerful characters that really shine. There is a reason why Fiddler is my favorite character.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Does gnaw die?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

RC Cola posted:

Does gnaw die?

Oooh, man, yeesh. Honestly...I don't know if it would be right for us to spoil that for you.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Habibi posted:

Oooh, man, yeesh. Honestly...I don't know if it would be right for us to spoil that for you.

I can't stand dogs dying. :rip: pack. Does he become a hound of Shadow or something badass? Also the style of these books is tough for me to read. Every time they switch characters I tend to close the book for a bit. In the last few books it happened every page or so. Ps wanna buy me a pro sharks av? I used my yearly allowance buying pro Panthers ones for everyone

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Is Gnaw the pack leader Karsa defeats?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Habibi posted:

Is Gnaw the pack leader Karsa defeats?

Yes

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

you're good

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Habibi posted:

you're good

Yessssssssssssss! Or I can keep reading. I'm still waiting for lap dog and cattle dog to come back

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
In no particular order:

Fiddler
Hellian
Gesler/Stormy
Cotillion/Shadowthrone
Tehol/Bugg

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

RC Cola posted:

Yessssssssssssss! Or I can keep reading. I'm still waiting for lap dog and cattle dog to come back

you're good on that one, too, boy howdy

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

RC Cola posted:

Speaking of those two, DoD: Them showing up at the Nah'ruk battle was loving amazing.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Top five? Ugh.

Trull Sengar
Iskaral Pust
Toc the Younger
Silchas Ruin
Onrack

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Tool
Hellian
Karsa
Tehol
Uhh gently caress.
Fiddler?
Bottle?
Beak?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Karsa is getting cooler. He's still in jail, but he just broke a log and killed 3 guards.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

RC Cola posted:

Karsa is getting cooler. He's still in jail, but he just broke a log and killed 3 guards.

3? I just reread that book. Are you literally still on the same page he breaks the chain and lifts the hatch?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Spermy Smurf posted:

3? I just reread that book. Are you literally still on the same page he breaks the chain and lifts the hatch?

Still on that page yes. Took a break while hockey is on. I'll read during the intermission again

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
is this set in the past?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

That question will be answered very soon.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

The Ninth Layer posted:

That question will be answered very soon.

I assume by them saying the seven cities are about to be in rebellion.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I don't want to say too much because you are getting really close to a cool reveal.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

cptn_dr posted:

DoD: the Nah'ruk battle was loving amazing.

yes

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Top five?

1) Kallor
2) Karsa
3) Tehol
4) Tool
5) Duiker

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I tried to narrow it down to 5 and failed. This was after cutting 4-5 different characters that I really liked, even.

Brukhalian/Itkovian
Ganoes Paran
Hood
Karsa
Onrack
Toc the Younger
Trull Sengar

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Yay another Ganoes fan :woop:

Man if I stretched my list to like 15 or so I think I'd end up covering most of what you guys have posted. So many good characters.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

RC Cola posted:

is this set in the past?

Just keep reading man, House of Chains is a hell of a thing.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

It might just be because I'm a little over tired, or because I'm getting sick, but (TCG) Bottle rejoining the marines just made me start crying a little. Goddamn, Erikson. I think I'm going to be a mess by the time I finish this book.

As far as top 5 characters go, I don't know if I can make that call yet, but Fiddler, Gruntle, Cotillion,Trull and Onrack are what I feel currently would be on the list. Though if I sat and thought for longer, I'd probably come up with a different five with no trouble.

For example, Karsa owns.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

My malazan favorites list

1 Hedge
2 Mappo Runt
3 Kruppe
4 Bauchelain
5 Mancy Reese
6 Iskaral Pust
7 Gruntle
8 Korbal Broach
9 Iskaral Pust's mule
3895 Tool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Top five? Imma go with Udinaas, Gruntle, Shadowthrone, Kallor and Mappo, in roughly that order. Honorable mentions go to Hedge, Blistig and Duiker. If the prequels count, there's also gotta be Skillen Droe.
You'll note I dislike Karsa - his arc is interesting but I really never got around to actually rooting for him. Ditto Paran and TtH is basically "how to hate Kruppe in 900 pages".

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 5, 2016