Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Is working up to three IG-2000s a terrible idea for escalation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Is working up to three IG-2000s a terrible idea for escalation?

Ehhh probably. A and D aren't terribly impressive and only having three ships once you hit 120 or 150 means tons of focus fire.

But that shouldn't ever stop you from playing a list you think is fun!

Edit: The official rules also say you need to have at least two ships, so your IGs will be neutered by requiring least a naked Z-95.

Edit Edit: Phew. You can give the first IG six points of upgrades and the second will be naked, or you can float three points to keep them even at 90. Once you hit 120 you can upgrade them but you have to save points to get the third guy with upgrades.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 5, 2016

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Ehhh probably. A and D aren't terribly impressive and only having three ships once you hit 120 or 150 means tons of focus fire.
Having played with D, tight Sloops are actually totally awesome.

quote:

Edit: The official rules also say you need to have at least two ships, so your IGs will be neutered by requiring least a naked Z-95.
Can you point me to this rule? I can't find it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Having played with D, tight Sloops are actually totally awesome.

Can you point me to this rule? I can't find it.

Second page, third paragraph of the Squad Building section.

I would assume this is a measure to prevent players from bringing a souped up big ship that murders things at 60 points. Like Super Dash or Fat Han.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

That's actually really disappointing.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Final record 4-2. Both losses to drat good players. Top seed and #5 seed

Only way I make the cut is if half of the 5-1s keel over dead.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Took my Bossk/4LOM/N'Dru list today, some lessons learned.

1) Don't forget when you have a loving target lock. Good lord do not do this. Lost a game when I forgot I had a lock on a B-Wing and it evaded my tractor beam as a direct result. Could have easily tossed it onto a rock for a follow up hit from N'Dru and not eaten the shot that finished 4LOM off otherwise.

2) 4LOM/Adaptability/Tractor and Bossk/Mangler is hilarious. Got several one shot kills by tossing ships into Bossk's main arc for a near defenseless mangler shot.

3) N'Dru was not quite the right wingman for this build. He's fun, and I got a couple solid hits in, but having to choose between disengaging to come around for another pass with buffs or taking a few shots in the merge without them was more trouble than it was worth.

I didn't win, but I was the highest ranked player who hadn't earned a spot in our League's end of season invitational, so that's something at least.

I'm liking Mist Hunter and Bossk, so I think I'm gonna maintain that bit of the list, but N'Dru has to go. Gonna cut him and a few upgrades on Bossk for a TLT Thug to stick to Bossk's side and poke anything that survives the mangler to death.

Bossk (35)
"Mangler" Cannon (4)
Dengar (3)
Greedo (1)
Boba Fett (1)

4-LOM (27)
Adaptability (0)
Zuckuss (1)
Advanced Sensors (3)
Tractor Beam (1)
Mist Hunter (0)

Syndicate Thug (18)
Twin Laser Turret (6)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Is the new plan right now, but I'm debating between keeping the crew on Bossk, or cutting one or both of Greedo/Fett for either Crack Shot or a Glitterstim.

Dulkor fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 5, 2016

Herux
Dec 1, 2013

Eimi posted:

Big grats!

I finished repainting my Defender. I think I can do more with the wash but I don't entirely know how to get it to soak deep into places without leaving the upper surface all dirty, so I'm happy with it for now. (Not sure if it shows up in my dumb phone pictures but the guns are tipped with a metallic paint.) I also painted the white by hand but halfway through realized I should've just done a spray white base. Oh well, hopefully the Phantom and Advanced should be easier just because the Defender is awkward to hold.

That look great!!! I love the lighter paint schemes and that is just awesome!

Herux
Dec 1, 2013

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Round four. Opponent has Kanan Ghost, Zeb Shuttle, Garven, Wedge, Prototype. I setup Nera and Blount in the middle, he goes in the corner with everyone. XXX in the corner across. Turn one no shooting. Turn two: three range two shots from XXX, Ion Pulse from Blount and Plasma from Nera all into the Ghost. Left with two hull. Next turn, Wes gets stuck, Luke and Wedge K-turn behind the Ghost, Nera and Blount sneak in. Ghost dies, he forgot to deploy the shuttle so it comes out, Wes survives on one hull with another lucky roll. His Wedge does next turn, then Garven and he concedes. The amount of firepower at 150 points is NUTS.

So does that mean Nera was a good choice because that would make me so happy!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I really like Nera but I also really wish B-Wing unique pilots weren't so over-costed.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Improbable Lobster posted:

I really like Nera but I also really wish B-Wing unique pilots weren't so over-costed.

The B-wing is just a really bad ace ship. It's less the costing(you could make anything viable with the right cost) but the ship just isn't set up for aces since it's easily damaged by even low quality shots and has a predictable dial.

It's kinda like Talonbane's problem. His ability is good, but he's in a ship where he can't really use it.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Herux posted:

That look great!!! I love the lighter paint schemes and that is just awesome!

Thanks! I'll post a picture when I get them all done.

Panzeh posted:

The B-wing is just a really bad ace ship. It's less the costing(you could make anything viable with the right cost) but the ship just isn't set up for aces since it's easily damaged by even low quality shots and has a predictable dial.

It's kinda like Talonbane's problem. His ability is good, but he's in a ship where he can't really use it.

Which is why on one hand I'm super into the Arc, but on the other hand I really worry about it. It's not like Norra or Shara are any cheaper than the B-Wing aces. I hope the R3 astro gives a way to mitigate this. :ohdear:

Keyan is also cool if you run him light, it's not amazing but he's usable. Just don't load him up with points.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Herux posted:

So does that mean Nera was a good choice because that would make me so happy!

As far as B-wings go, yes :v:.

She ended up doing a one hard over debris, then over it again next turn so she had three stress but she was still turning towards the fight when my opponent conceded. I didn't actually have a need for her ability but she had a couple range 1 shots after using her plasma torpedoes.

Does anyone ever use Ion Torpedoes?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Wedge, Jan, and Biggs is currently in the top eight at the Plano regionals.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

ConfusedUs posted:

Hell yes. Keep us posted!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

ConfusedUs posted:

Go Wedgefist go

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Sadly, an untimely Blinded Pilot crit prevented Jan from getting the kill shot on the last jump master. We're going home.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

ConfusedUs posted:

Sadly, an untimely Blinded Pilot crit prevented Jan from getting the kill shot on the last jump master. We're going home.

What was the list? TLT Jan? Something else?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Wedge. Bb8, PTL, plasma torps, chips.

Biggs. The ept droid. Rage. Integrated mech.

Jan. Blaster turret, recon spec, adaptability, title.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Huh. Huh huh huh. That's interesting. The thought of going back to Blaster Turret on Jan is...sort of interesting, but that range 2 limit is such a drag on the first joust. Nien Nunb + TLT is so good at kiting!

I think chips on Wedge is crazy compared to the value of IA but given the list performed pretty well I might be wrong. BB8/PtL is pretty baller but I'm not sold on it over BB8/Pred. Plasmas are good but they're so close to being protons...

Rage, though, I hadn't thought of that!

My Wedgefist build is 20-10 right now, which is pretty good! I like that record. But I'm definitely interested in tweaks.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Oh btw in the Yavin Open a 4 x TLT HWK list went 6-0, it had both Palob and Murkil and I think the HWKs had a sprinkling of Dengar/4-LOM/zuckuss crew

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Tekopo posted:

Oh btw in the Yavin Open a 4 x TLT HWK list went 6-0, it had both Palob and Murkil and I think the HWKs had a sprinkling of Dengar/4-LOM/zuckuss crew

If Regionals here wasn't this weekend I would really consider buying two more HWKs, but I probably shouldn't change what I've been practising too much.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tekopo posted:

I'm not sure how that list beats the jumpmasters at all. Looks like a TLT list geared toward ace hunting.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
I found a Yavin stream.

https://www.twitch.tv/firstearth

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Top 8 is 5 Imp Aces, 3 u-boats, sounds like.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Finster Dexter posted:

That was the top 8 at my regional, haha.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Finster Dexter posted:

:ughh:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Just the most consistently good lists out there these days. Your wedge/weird poo poo lists suck.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

That's not completely right, cause one of the people in my club managed to get through to the cutoff with half AP, half crack black swarm.

Also I came in 45th out of 414. Well pleased!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tekopo posted:

That's not completely right, cause one of the people in my club managed to get through to the cutoff with half AP, half crack black swarm.

Also I came in 45th out of 414. Well pleased!

Ah- actually yeah there were 4 imp aces, 1 crackswarm, 3 jumpmasters in my regional.

I played against the crackswarm player in the swiss and he was really good, knew what he was doing. The guys who can be consistent with swarms always have a place IMO.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Final is u-boats versus howlie/black crack/AP swarm. Go swarm! The semi for the swarm apparently came down to a final dice roll, a TIE surviving and the scores being tied, so initiative won!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Surprised there aren't more crackSwarms of either TIE or A-Wing variety. Are they not as good as I was lead to believe? Or is it just tournament fatigue that leads to players to be like just do Aces?

Or not want to spend the cash to get the Crack Shots, let alone the massive amount of stuff needed for Chihuahas

Eimi fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 5, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Eimi posted:

Surprised there aren't more crackSwarms of either TIE or A-Wing variety. Are they not as good as I was lead to believe? Or is it just tournament fatigue that leads to players to be like just do Aces?

Or not want to spend the cash to get the Crack Shots, let alone the massive amount of stuff needed for Chihuahas

Money isn't usually an issue at the competitive play level or you'd see less Palp aces. It's the fatigue issue and also a skill one. Running a swarm list even in casual play can be taxing, having to do so over six to nine rounds of play in the course of a day and doing so skillfully is something a lot of players probably don't feel like attempting.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Panzeh posted:

Ah- actually yeah there were 4 imp aces, 1 crackswarm, 3 jumpmasters in my regional.

I played against the crackswarm player in the swiss and he was really good, knew what he was doing. The guys who can be consistent with swarms always have a place IMO.

Utah regional? I'm waiting for the tourny report for the Utah regional to be put up by the TO. I know he'll be busy for a bit so it may be a few days.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Langolas posted:

Utah regional? I'm waiting for the tourny report for the Utah regional to be put up by the TO. I know he'll be busy for a bit so it may be a few days.

Melbourne, FL regional, actually.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

Money isn't usually an issue at the competitive play level or you'd see less Palp aces. It's the fatigue issue and also a skill one. Running a swarm list even in casual play can be taxing, having to do so over six to nine rounds of play in the course of a day and doing so skillfully is something a lot of players probably don't feel like attempting.

I used to smirk when I would read or hear people say playing swarms were exhausting. Then I spent an evening playing 4 casual games back to back with one. Never again will I question the stamina of those who decide to fly them in a competitive setting.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

AndyElusive posted:

I used to smirk when I would read or hear people say playing swarms were exhausting. Then I spent an evening playing 4 casual games back to back with one. Never again will I question the stamina of those who decide to fly them in a competitive setting.

I ran a swarm for about three months and it was super exhausting- I won a ton of games but it's kinda crazy. This is why i'm going back to a z-95 swarm.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Swarm wins Yavin Open :getin:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tekopo posted:

Swarm wins Yavin Open :getin:

Dude plays 3 straight days of a 7 tie swarm.

I have mad respect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Panzeh posted:

Dude plays 3 straight days of a 7 tie swarm.

I have mad respect.

I nominate him and HWK guy for MVP

• Locked thread