Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

With the ballista room at least it's always best to try and lure some of them into eating an arrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Attestant posted:

This game has several amazing hats a-head.

Needs more catarina helm, but that isnt gonna happen unless shenanigans ensue.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

The moveset isn't very good for human sized enemies, but it's amazing for bigger ones like bosses. It's loving terrible for small enemies like crystal lizards.

The mace's running 2h attack is great for some tricky lizards. Its leaping attack also works but that is to be expected.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Aishlinn posted:

Needs more catarina helm, but that isnt gonna happen unless shenanigans ensue.

Goonther needs to branch out, it would be a shame if he did the exact same things as DS1.

I for one look forward to Goonther's new giant plumage style.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Geop, Draw Trogdor again

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
I still can't believe they put 90s adventure game nonsense into this game.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Obligatum VII posted:

Goonther needs to branch out, it would be a shame if he did the exact same things as DS1.

Personally, my favorite armor in the game is the one featured on the cover of the game, at least the base version. I think it's what the character in the LP thumbnail is wearing. I think it's in the thumbnail of the lets play. I just really like the armor and pets of that set.

My favorite helm would be full on spoilers, though.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

get the sack if it's in 2

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I have never worn the falconers helmet the entire time I've played dark souls 2 and now I realize my mistake.......

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Warning; side-effects include disintegrated ocular tissue.
Wow, I could really feel Geop's frustration in that one. And yeah, that's kinda the issue with bunches of enemies in a room. Sometimes their pathing will have a hiccup so they come out one at a time so you can deal with them more reasonably. Most of the time they all come out at once and very quickly turn you into a cold steel sandwich.

There is one especially terrible 'arena' we'll see later on that was a source of a great deal of rage for me even on my first playthrough before I realized how all the rest of the game was kinda like it. But that won't be for a while... and if Geop is lucky he will just end up missing it entirely.

Oh and the plunging attacks. If you hit the attack button too soon after going over a ledge, even if you are already in freefall, your character will just do a normal attack. It's kinda dumb. Animations tend to repeat like that as well unless you specifically cancel out of them by rolling and the like too, which is also dumb.

Geop sounded so incredibly dejected as well. "We're skipping that room..."
I don't blame you. :ohdear:

Of course his absolute delight at hearing enemies only respawn a limited number of times was actually rather amusing.
And very strange considering almost everybody hates that.
But it seems like Geop is kinda done with that poo poo and isn't a big "get all the fashion souls" so maybe that is good news for you.

Oh, also I love what you did with the solo footage in the latter half of the video. Really felt like I was following along with a story or something.

MGlBlaze fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 4, 2016

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
I want to see Geop trying to play in that ironclad armor, just a real tanky dude. I'm sure that would work out just fine.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

In the parish that's a zerg rush, those are probably the weakest enemies in the whole game. The copy/paste demons can all be pulled individually and the statues in Isalith are so slow they're hardly a threat at all. The Knight Armor trap in the forest does make you engage at least 2 treedudes and a statue, but (this is where good encounter design comes in) you can engage the treedudes first because they move so much faster than the statue, one firebomb each and they're one hit away from death, then you can focus on the stonebro solo. The ballista trap throws 3 armored knights with bastard swords at you while you're likely running around in your starter gear, who all have identical movesets and movement speeds so once they're all out it's just a blob of swords swinging at you all the time. Not saying it never happened in DS1 but a lot of parts of DS2 are pretty egregiously 'more dudes = more difficulty' game design.

What about the trap on the way down to the garden, the one with a soul item surrounded by three sleeping treants that are permanently woken up after you get it?

Narahari
Apr 12, 2009
Enjoying the LP and trying to more-or-less play along blind (try to stay one boss ahead, basically).

I know it's a spoiler-free thread, but some of the decisions they made in DS4 were really weird. I wasn't expecting to have the souls series morph into the pokemon series quite so quickly. That said, in 2137 when the disembodied consciousness of Geop is playing it, he'll probably enjoying having a team of 6 capra demons.

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Dabir posted:

What about the trap on the way down to the garden, the one with a soul item surrounded by three sleeping treants that are permanently woken up after you get it?

That is potentially more annoying, but the slower pace of their attacks and enemy pathing means you can funnel them into being able to take them out one by one without having them constantly leapfrog attacks like what happened in the recent video. Dark Souls 1 enemies typically have breaks in their attacks. Meanwhile in Dark Souls 2, it feels like some enemies have either infinite stamina or have way more than you do.

Even then, dealing with multiple opponents is still a tenuous prospect in Dark Souls 1. But it doesn't happen that often, and usually you can consistently either take on enemies one at a time, or isolate enemies so you're forcing them into coming one by one or doing something to break them up.

If all else fails; in Dark Souls 1 you can typically just outrun or zone enemies.

MGlBlaze fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 4, 2016

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
The only enemies that have ever had stamina are ones that use the player model. Otherwise, they never have, they just cycle through combos.

Dealing with multiple enemies in every game just asks you to use a weapon appropriate to doing so. It's not really complicated.

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

It's probably true that most enemies aren't given "stamina" per se within the game's code. But I cannot remember any single enemy in any other Souls game that has a habit of just continually attacking. Enemies have break periods programmed in to your attack specifically so the player gets a chance to get a few hits in, and not have frequent situations like what happened constantly in the first half of the latest video.

I will grant you that using the appropriate weapon for a given situation is helpful and has been a constant in the series anyway. Like for example how much damage the mace did to those ironclads. In a similar case, how well blunt weapons deal with the forest guardians in the Darkroot Garden in 1. Also even since Demon's Souls; the scaled miners are vulnerable to puncture damage, and ever since those beginnings there has been an emphasis on not using weapons with wide swings in narrow corridors, because doing so means you're constantly bouncing off walls.

This isn't one of those examples and there are no weapons that are actually that good at dealing with large numbers of opponents, especially with shields. Just less bad choices. Even the wide attack weapons (Of which I don't think you can even access any reasonably this early on, minus having one of the halberd solders drop their weapon) will struggle to deal with groups of enemies with shields, and we will be seeing way worse than that later.

MGlBlaze fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 4, 2016

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Obligatum VII posted:

Fashion souls. Weapons and build is what is going to determine the playstyle. Rocking the elite knight/catarina helm combo is How we remember our good old Goonther.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Wow, I had heard about strike damage but that blew my expectations out of the water.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Count me in as another dude who doesn't like the Mace's moveset. Mainly because of how slow it is. I'm too used to the timing on swords and so I got clocked when trying to use the mace.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The thing that bothers me with the mace is that it feels small. I'm not actually sure how it's hitbox compares to a sword, but I just feel like I have to jam myself into an enemy's face when I swing the mace. I want to be secure in the knowledge that every time I swing, anything within about six feet is gonna get whacked. The mace is great damage, especially for how easy it is to get and wield, but it just doesn't look enough like it's going to wreck everything.

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

MooCowlian posted:

The thing that bothers me with the mace is that it feels small. I'm not actually sure how it's hitbox compares to a sword, but I just feel like I have to jam myself into an enemy's face when I swing the mace. I want to be secure in the knowledge that every time I swing, anything within about six feet is gonna get whacked. The mace is great damage, especially for how easy it is to get and wield, but it just doesn't look enough like it's going to wreck everything.

This actually makes a certain degree of sense, as maces are actually significantly shorter than swords, while weighing about as much. All of that mass being concentrated towards the striking head is supposed to translate to more force imparted to the struck target as opposed to a sword's damage primarily being slashing and subsequent blood loss, but this isn't often well represented in games.

Dark Souls does have some good uses for the various striking weapons, though. As evidenced by how it completely took apart the Ironclad.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
It's definitely got a shorter range than you'd expect. You really do have to get up in enemies' faces to hit 'em with it.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

The mace's short range feels intentional, given the absurd damage it does and its relatively quick wind-up time. Note that when Geop's fighting the pigs, it misses on the up-swing almost every time as opposed to the first R1 downwards strike... this poo poo is what I really hate about the hitboxes. Got an enemy that's low to the ground? You can only hit it with the first swing from your combo, press R1 again too quickly after the first swing and you whiff. The mace isn't the only weapon to do this either.

The ballista room gangbang never felt that bad for me, and I was using a weapon particularly badly suited to multiple enemy encounters. I tried doing it the same way Geop did a few times with limited success, then realised that there's more room to move if you draw the hollows out into the area nearer the guy sitting on the bench rather than back to the ladder.
I don't know if it was the same in DS1, but in DS2 you need to swing until you have just enough stamina to roll away, then, crucially, stay out of range with your shield down for a second or two to get your stamina back to full before engaging again. Those hollows also have garbage poise and will stagger in a couple of hits from pretty much any weapon, as we saw with the fire longsword, and if you don't have anough stamina to go for the kill, it's (almost) always OK to back up, drop your shield, and recharge stamina.

I'm glad Geop found a nice hat, though, that was the second thing I bought in my game (started off with the class that has the rest of the falconer set and figured I should co-ordinate) and rocked it for a good half of where I'm up to now. Sadly I saw very few other people using it, giant feathers are underrated.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Mace is love, mace is life.

Short things like lizards are when I bring out the halberd. Run up, stop running to get the regular r1, pause enough between swings to just use that.

Aishlinn posted:

Rocking the elite knight/catarina helm combo is How we remember our good old Goonther.
Amongst the sixty-seven other Souls playthoughs, I did actually do a Goonther-inspired run of DS2 once, complete with appropriate Fashion Souls to see how close I could get to mid-DS1 and end-DS1 Goonther (when he was wearing the Guardian armour), weaponry included. Spears are honestly still fun to use in this one, much better than most dex weapons.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Ashsaber posted:

Wow, I had heard about strike damage but that blew my expectations out of the water.

It usually doesn't matter that much. Sometimes, of course, it matters a whole lot such as with the Ironclads that Geop was fighting. The wiki has a list of what non-boss enemy is weak to what here which you can read if you've played the game. Strike's big advantage is that it's only really bad against naked fleshy things and there just aren't very many of those, whereas you'll encounter things resistant to thrusting and slashing at least a few times. Things you fight in Dark Souls wear armor, are armored or are armor.

Of course, moveset also really matters. The speedruns mostly use the rapier for the first half of the game, for whatever that's worth, except for some specific bosses (spoiler: Dark Souls 2 has bosses) which are mace:d.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
If Kuvo decides to do a stream run will it be Shieldfried 2 or will it be a different gimmick?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Dastardly posted:

If Kuvo decides to do a stream run will it be Shieldfried 2 or will it be a different gimmick?

If there is a god, dual caestus.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

quiggy posted:

This LP actually inspired me to open up DaS2 for a bit to continue my Power-Stanced caestus run a bit. It's intense to play having to rely on rolls, but so rewarding to punch the hell out of bosses successfully.

In terms of pure effectiveness I still am way too used to the Claymore moveset though.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Bluhman posted:

This LP actually inspired me to open up DaS2 for a bit to continue my Power-Stanced caestus run a bit. It's intense to play having to rely on rolls, but so rewarding to punch the hell out of bosses successfully.

In terms of pure effectiveness I still am way too used to the Claymore moveset though.

I did a punchman run of both DS1 and 2, so its definitely doable. There's a fist weapon in DS1 that actually doubles as a shield, too, although its potentially late game stuff.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

The basic caveman Club has a much more swordy set of R1 attacks than the mace/hammer-type ones.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Dastardly posted:

quiggy posted:

i had something more idiotic planned

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

MGlBlaze posted:

Of course his absolute delight at hearing enemies only respawn a limited number of times was actually rather amusing.
And very strange considering almost everybody hates that.
But it seems like Geop is kinda done with that poo poo and isn't a big "get all the fashion souls" so maybe that is good news for you.

I think the detractors of the despawn mechanic are just exceptionally loud, just like the more vehement ones for Dark Souls 2 as a whole (and often the same people). It was a perfectly reasonable mechanic that made the game much less of a hassle when you were having trouble (though, if anything, it maybe should happened slightly earlier kills-wise).

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
All it did to me was making one specific armor set way harder to farm.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Kuvo posted:

I was hoping to hear that.

Because Caestus are pretty milquetoast at this point.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Kuvo posted:

gently caress yea

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Kuvo posted:

dual casteus blind sotfs run?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
NG+7 unlevelled nude run with ladle?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

NG+7 unlevelled nude run with ladle?

That is not even fun to watch. It just makes every boss fight last hours.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Elite Knight Armor represent! It's so good and stylish in this game. I love the blue tunic mixed with the mail. It and the leggings have been my go-to chestpiece and legs for pretty much the whole game so far and upgrading it goes a long way for defenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kuvo posted:

With your feet?!

• Locked thread