Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

If you think the Japanese merchant marine got a raw deal, just remember that a whole third of the Italy's cargo ships were seized in foreign ports because Mussolini never told them he was declaring war.

Was there any part of italy's WW2 performance that wasn't in some way a total clusterfuck? :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

spectralent posted:

Was there any part of italy's WW2 performance that wasn't in some way a total clusterfuck? :allears:

The Italian partisans. :v:

e: vvvv Oh, yeah, that too.

my dad fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 4, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
naval special ops, ask SEXMAN for details

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm looking for the Life article speculating on a Japanese Invasion of Alaska and the subsequent land battles in Canada and the Western US. In the meantime, have the biggest font you will ever hopefully see:

https://books.google.ca/books?id=Zk4EAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PA27&pg=PA27#v=onepage&q&f=true

This is fantastic. It's especially interesting noting the emphasis on battleships as the key to victory in the article, with a lot of discussion about how the US Navy's task now was to keep the Pacific Fleet (that is, the battleships) intact until the Atlantic fleet can reinforce with their battleships, thus gaining numerical superiority at which point they'd steam out to smash the hell out of the Japanese battleships, while the Japanese battleships would conversely be trying to engage the US battleships while they were still divided (this being Japan's "supreme and perhaps last chance" at victory). Carriers are only mentioned in passing as part of the treacherous Japanese sneak attack, though they do take care to say of the Kaga that "the skill of its crew is far surpassed by US carrier technique."

Question for the thread, when did the general public first start becoming aware that carriers were the dominant naval arm now, not battleships? Sometime after Midway at least?

Also:

quote:

In recent months the vulnerable Philippine station has been strengthened by the addition of squadrons of heavy bombers. With new British warships at Singapore, plus the combined land-air strength of the British, Dutch, and Australian forces, America has a long-range superiority over Japan.

:allears:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tomn posted:

Question for the thread, when did the general public first start becoming aware that carriers were the dominant naval arm now, not battleships? Sometime after Midway at least?

After Pearl Harbor. The battleship hadn't been a decisive weapon of naval war since Tsushima (and arguably Jutland). Carriers in WW2 were a technology whose time had finally come, and both the IJN and USN realized if not precisely understood that.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Carl Vinson was saying things like "The modern development of aircraft has demonstrated conclusively that the backbone of the Navy today is the aircraft carrier" four months before Taranto and 15 months before Pearl Harbor.

That's a congressman, not a member of the navy or something. He also put a few billion dollars where his mouth was.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Cythereal posted:

After Pearl Harbor. The battleship hadn't been a decisive weapon of naval war since Tsushima (and arguably Jutland). Carriers in WW2 were a technology whose time had finally come, and both the IJN and USN realized if not precisely understood that.

The reason I ask about the general public specifically, though, is that the contemporary magazine article linked in my quote spent a lot of time talking about US battleships and how they were the key to victory and how naval strategy revolves around gaining battleship superiority - and this in the aftermath of Pearl Harbor. If the general public understood and accepted that carriers were now the real kings of battle, you'd think the article (which spends a lot of time lovingly talking about how the battleship losses weren't THAT bad and how many were already restored) would see fit to mention that the US carriers were completely untouched and ready to get revenge.

Sure, admirals and congressmen might know better, but when did John Q. Public, the friendly neighborhood plumber, first start realizing that he should be paying attention to the Enterprise, not the Iowa?

Edit: Battleships are interesting not only for their strict military utility, but because of the fact that they used to be intimately tied up with public perception of national strength. We talk a lot about their military utility in this thread, but howsabout we take a quick diversion into what non-miltiary people thought of them?

Tomn fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 4, 2016

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

At least in common parlance, an aircraft carrier is a "battleship", because it's a ship, that does battle, and being the battle ship means you are the ship of battles most suited to battling ships, and thus the best battleship.

I think battleship is just too inherently self-explanatory to get supplanted. I still hear my family talk about "battleships" today.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

spectralent posted:

At least in common parlance, an aircraft carrier is a "battleship", because it's a ship, that does battle, and being the battle ship means you are the ship of battles most suited to battling ships, and thus the best battleship.

I think battleship is just too inherently self-explanatory to get supplanted. I still hear my family talk about "battleships" today.

The magazine article linked makes a clear distinction and even has captioned photos of both, so that's not what's going on there. The writer of the article at least clearly believed, in the wake of Pearl Harbor, that battleships (as distinct from carriers) were and remained the decisive arm of battle.

Also I've never heard anyone refer to a carrier as a battleship before in my life, but I'll admit I don't usually discuss modern naval affairs much outside this thread, if at all.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Tomn posted:

The magazine article linked makes a clear distinction and even has captioned photos of both, so that's not what's going on there. The writer of the article at least clearly believed, in the wake of Pearl Harbor, that battleships (as distinct from carriers) were and remained the decisive arm of battle.

Also I've never heard anyone refer to a carrier as a battleship before in my life, but I'll admit I don't usually discuss modern naval affairs much outside this thread, if at all.

In modern media you do hear occasionally hear somebody use the term "battleship" meaning warship, in the same way every armored military vehicle is a "tank."

Correcting the latter while on a date is known as a "dealkiller"

Tomn posted:

It's a good question. I've no idea.

Life:Six ways to invade the US

e: Life talks Midway: https://books.google.ca/books?id=dk4EAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PP1&pg=PA32#v=onepage&q&f=true

E2: ok one more then I'll shut up: the time the Nazis conquered Winnipeg, Manitoba https://books.google.ca/books?id=ck4EAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PP1&pg=PA30#v=onepage&q&f=true

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 5, 2016

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

feedmegin posted:

On the other hand Italy isn't an island and shared a land border with Germany...

That's a lot of ships you could send to North Africa...

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Did the Soviet Union or Warsaw pact Poland ever take the government of West Germany to task about WW2 atrocities in the way that China and South Korea do the Japanese?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Nebakenezzer posted:

In modern media you do hear occasionally hear somebody use the term "battleship" meaning warship, in the same way every armored military vehicle is a "tank."

Correcting the latter while on a date is known as a "dealkiller"

Where are you taking your dates???

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Found one of the articles about the plans for US chemical warfare against the Home Islands in WW2. This is briefer than the one I read a few months ago, but it addresses the report.

quote:

American Leaders Planned Poison Gas Attack Against Japan

By Mark Weber

A long-suppressed report written in June 1945 by the US Army's Chemical Warfare Service shows that American military leaders made plans for a massive preemptive poison gas attack to accompany an invasion of Japan. The 30-page document designated "gas attack zones" on detailed maps of Tokyo and other major Japanese cities. Army planners selected 50 urban and industrial targets in Japan, with 25 cities, including Tokyo, Osaka, Yokohama, Kobe and Kyoto, listed as "especially suitable for gas attacks."

In planning the invasion of Japan proper, America's military and political leaders expected the Japanese to fight with fanatic fervor in defense of their home islands. The overall US plan, code-named "Operation Downfall," called for a two-stage invasion. An assault on the southernmost Japanese home island of Kyushu, code-named "Operation Olympic," was set for November 1, 1945. This was to be followed by "Operation Coronet," scheduled for March 1946: an invasion of the main Japanese home island of Honshu, including an assault on Tokyo.

"Gas attacks of the size and intensity recommended on these 250 square miles of urban population," the US Army report declared, "might easily kill 5,000,000 people and injure that many more." In the first attack, which would be launched 15 days before the Kyushu landings, American bombers would drench much of Tokyo and other cities in an early morning attack with 54,000 tons of lethal phosgene gas. Tokyo would be the largest poison gas target, because an "attack of this size against an urban city of large population should be used to initiate gas warfare."

The report's three authors recommended that the US Joint Chiefs of Staff issue "a policy at once directing the use of toxic gas on both strategic and tactical targets in support of Operation Olympic." Planners called for the use of four kinds of gas, including phosgene (or carbonyl chloride), mustard gas, and hydrogen cyanide. The gas attack study was approved by the chief of the US Chemical Warfare Service, Major General William N. Porter. Only five copies were made of the top secret document, whose existence was first made public in July 1991.

After the horrific use of poison gas during the First World War, the major nations formally outlawed the use of this new weapon. This prohibition was included in the 1919 Treaty of Versailles, the 1922 Treaty of Washington, and in a 1925 protocol signed by more than 40 countries, including the United States. During the Second World War, both the United States and Germany produced and stockpiled lethal gas for possible use in the European conflict, but neither side -- apparently fearful of retaliation -- actually used the weapon.

Although the public policy in 1945 was that the United States would use gas only in retaliation for a Japanese first use, in private America's military leaders seriously considered striking first with poison gas. By the summer of 1945, American forces were already killing Japanese by the tens of thousands in indiscriminate fire-bombings. Given this, the step to killing by lethal gas was not a lengthy one.

On June 14, 1945, other documents show, Fleet Admiral Ernest King, a member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, received a secret report on poison gas from Army Chief of Staff General George C. Marshall. The two men were key presidential advisers. President Truman met at the White House on June 18 with his principal military and civilian advisers to discuss the overall plan for the invasion of Japan. Apparently the gas attack plan was approved at that conference. Three days later, June 21, orders were given to step up production of several types of poison gas to provide stockpiles in the massive quantities urged in the study.

Two American historians, Thomas B. Allen and Norman Polmar, commented on the long-suppressed document in a 1995 article. The June 1945 report, they wrote, "raised the killing of enemy civilians to a level far beyond anything seen in World War II. No [other] known military document from World War II recommends such wholesale killing of civilians." (T. B. Allen and N. Polmar, "Poisonous invasion prelude," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Aug. 4, 1995 [New York Times special features].)

No American official has ever been demoted or even criticized for approving this murderous plan, which has received scant public attention. If Germany had used poison gas during the Second World War, surely the victorious Allies would have severely punished the responsible officials. Similarly, if German military leaders had approved a plan to gas London comparable to the 1945 American one to drench Tokyo in phosgene, doubtless it would have been cited endlessly as a striking example of Nazi evil, and those responsible for drafting it would have been vilified.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Do note that we're talking about old-school chemical agents here, with pretty different employment profiles than what we've come to expect in the postwar era. Nerve gas was a strictly German affair during WWII.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The moral of this story is that being on the losing side of wars sucks, really, REALLY badly.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Splode posted:

Where are you taking your dates???

Me having a date is the real joke :rimshot:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Throatwarbler posted:

Did the Soviet Union or Warsaw pact Poland ever take the government of West Germany to task about WW2 atrocities in the way that China and South Korea do the Japanese?

Non stop. The entire line was that west germany was the unreconstructed successor state of the fascist criminals.

Where it gets hinkey is how they lumped all the dead under the heading "victims of fascism" and concentrated on the Nazi hard on for killing communists. The unique nature of their racial policies and related atrocities never got as much attention in the east as it did in the west.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Non stop. The entire line was that west germany was the unreconstructed successor state of the fascist criminals.

Where it gets hinkey is how they lumped all the dead under the heading "victims of fascism" and concentrated on the Nazi hard on for killing communists. The unique nature of their racial policies and related atrocities never got as much attention in the east as it did in the west.

Does that somewhat legitimize the Nazis in ex-Bloc nations because it's "just" political violence?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Oh, and I know we're all used to great posts around here, but can I just say thanks for this? I know you're writing a large amount every day, but this is an excellent post on the battle of Jutland. It's weird, but I don't think I've ever read an account before about how much guessing and confusion characterized this battle, and as you make clear, it is super important.

Yeah, for real. Trin, you've probably realized that I like 100 Years Ago a whole lot by now, but these Jutland posts have been really, really good.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Agreed. Blog just keeps getting better!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I've unfortunately greatly reduced how much I read those. The quality of the writing is amazing, but I know very little about the Western front beyond the BigNamesTM, and am just completely overwhelmed by names, places, and information, and the way you write often leans on the reader being at least generally aware of the big picture there. Mind you, I'm not criticizing you for it, especially since you're doing a much better job talking about tiny details like LITERALLY EVERYTHING THAT ISN'T THE WESTERN FRONT than almost anything else I've read in English (though, as can be seen from my lack of knowledge about the Western front, it's not like I read a lot about it) - I'm just pointing it out.

e: I forgot to mention, I gave a quick read to Mugge's book of Serbian poetry.

I'm conflicted between finding that guy adorably enthusiastic and thinking that I should punch him in the face through time and space. I'd compare him to a Weaboo, I guess. He has a lot of obsession-like passion about what he's talking about, a desire to know more and share it, but is also basing his idea of a country on an idealized source that is somewhat tangentially related at best to the real situation - and yet he's also a turn of the century Brit to the core, adding a high degree of patronizing and the idea that "almost attaining the civilisation of Western Europe" is a magnanimous compliment.

my dad fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jun 5, 2016

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Throatwarbler posted:

They kept slamming them over and over and over again over it... rhetorically. No real action was ever taken, because why verify? All you need is a boogeyman to keep the people thinking they need you. Communist government of Poland did explicitly forgo any war reparations, because the Soviets were worried it would bankrupt East Germany.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Now this gets kind of complicated, but as far as I'm aware (I didn't exactly get to see the way it was talked about on a regular basis) that is not exactly true for Poland, at least. The Nazis were always presented as genocidal murderers keen on eradicating all Poles (and Jews).

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

MrYenko posted:

The moral of this story is that being on the losing side of wars sucks, really, REALLY badly.

It used to suck a lot less for the average person, its the whole modernity thing that made it really suck.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Kemper Boyd posted:

It used to suck a lot less for the average person, its the whole modernity thing that made it really suck.
to be fair, being on the winning side of wars also sucked for the average person back in the day

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

HEY GAL posted:

to be fair, being on the winning side of wars also sucked for the average person back in the day

also probably just being alive as the average person back in the day

i wonder which day-to-day existence was less squalid and dangerous, living in a WWI trench or just being a poor person on the rickety upper floors of a crowded roman insula

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
romans washed their hands

also the least healthy century for western europe is still the 17th and that is science facts

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

HEY GAL posted:

also the least healthy century for western europe is still the 17th and that is science facts

The black death killed between 1/3 and 1/2 the continent so no

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

The black death killed between 1/3 and 1/2 the continent so no

Least hygienic maybe? Plagues are a bit of an Outside Context Problem for pre-modern medicine...

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Nebakenezzer posted:

Me having a date is the real joke :rimshot:

My girlfriend has learned to get angry when someone calls an APC "tank" and I am ever so proud

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Good morning all

Aren't you disappointed we no longer go to war like this? Frans Hals, later finished by Pieter Codde, De Magere Compagnie, 1637. Note that the fendrich in grey (Nicolaes van Bambeeck) and the man in the buff coat, center, are dressed more in-style than the men with wide standup ruffs (a 1620s thing) or wider breeches (an early 1630s thing)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meagre_Company

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jun 5, 2016

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
This what-if poo poo is driving me up the wall.

Can someone tell me about Harald Bluetooth? I know he built fortresses, but there seems to be a great deal of disagreement on whether he was bested and forcibly christianized by Otto I, or if it happened in other ways.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

Good morning all

Aren't you disappointed we no longer go to war like this? Frans Hals, later finished by Pieter Codde, De Magere Compagnie, 1637. Note that the fendrich in grey (Nicolaes van Bambeeck) and the man in the buff coat, center, are dressed more in-style than the men with wide standup ruffs (a 1620s thing) or wider breeches (an early 1630s thing)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meagre_Company

Are those colored sashes of significance?

It's an early modern painting, everything is of significance

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
That pose half of them have is the 30yw period equivalent to duckface, I imagine.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
IT IS VERY MANLY
http://www.rug.nl/research/portal/files/3346046/BremmerH5.pdf

edit: specifically, it's associated with the military

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I saw an video recently from a certain less-than-reliable internet man where he said that ancient wars dealt with far larger armies than later on, like say in the medieval period. Is that true or selective reasoning from differing sample size, and if so, what is the reason for the change?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I'm talking about a man named Alexander P. de Seversky.

When I just use his last name, is it just Seversky, or de Seversky?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

SlothfulCobra posted:

I saw an video recently from a certain less-than-reliable internet man where he said that ancient wars dealt with far larger armies than later on, like say in the medieval period. Is that true or selective reasoning from differing sample size, and if so, what is the reason for the change?

I'd be an rear end in a top hat and start off with questions like, how ancient, and where exactly? :v:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ArchangeI posted:

Are those colored sashes of significance?

It's an early modern painting, everything is of significance
the orange is because they're dutch
the blue is i don't know
the title of the painting, The Skinny Company, is because there's a later painting of the same guys where they've all gained weight :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

I remember it was kind of the case that war got more localised; the infrastructure required to support actual legions required proper empires, so when you back to warlords and dukes of little spaces you lost the huge scale of military operations. I expect there was about the same amount of warring though.

• Locked thread