Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Waffleman_ posted:

In Power Ranger news, the first issue of MMPR Pink, a spin-off comic series focusing on Kimberly after she leaves the rangers, has come out today. Have not read it yet, but from what they've been saying and the quality of the main comic series, it should be good.

It's pretty baller. There's a sequence where she basically goes Hawkeye on some dudes, and she gets a new costume that's fuckin awesome. I'm super hype on the comic and it's spin offs. Much better than Higgins' run on Nightwing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh yeah, I'm loving the main comic so far, and I think it's actually succeeding where the movie's most likely going to fail, in that it's able to tell a completely serious story while still embracing some of the silliness inherent in Power Rangers.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh yeah, I'm loving the main comic so far, and I think it's actually succeeding where the movie's most likely going to fail, in that it's able to tell a completely serious story while still embracing some of the silliness inherent in Power Rangers.

kyle higgins did an interview with chris sims of comics alliance/war rocket ajax (who's in the middle of watching all of s1 of MMPR and comparing it to its source footage) this winter, before the book started, and the big thing he talked about was that he wanted to explore the world outside the edges of the TV show. like okay this is a town with a ton of monster attacks: how does the town handle it? how do the rangers actually feel about some dude who just tried to murk them joining the team? if they're walking down the street and someone's getting mugged, do they keep walking or do they morph and shoot the guy with a goddamn laser? do they have to do maintenance on the zords/what else can you do with the individual zords?

he's succeeding at all of that

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Pink is GOOD YES.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Does the comic book talk at all about the fact that there is breathable air in space in Power Rangers?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Literally The Worst posted:

kyle higgins did an interview with chris sims of comics alliance/war rocket ajax (who's in the middle of watching all of s1 of MMPR and comparing it to its source footage) this winter, before the book started, and the big thing he talked about was that he wanted to explore the world outside the edges of the TV show. like okay this is a town with a ton of monster attacks: how does the town handle it? how do the rangers actually feel about some dude who just tried to murk them joining the team? if they're walking down the street and someone's getting mugged, do they keep walking or do they morph and shoot the guy with a goddamn laser? do they have to do maintenance on the zords/what else can you do with the individual zords?

he's succeeding at all of that

I feel like asking those questions about a magical fairy tale story where the bad guy is a witch who lives in a castle on the moon is kinda dumb. I haven't read the comic tho, so maybe it works.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Power Rangers has always had a side dish of teen drama alongside the wacky main dish of rubber monsters. Adding in the occasional deconstruction of "what does Angel Grove think of all of this" is just another side dish.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

boom boom boom posted:

I feel like asking those questions about a magical fairy tale story where the bad guy is a witch who lives in a castle on the moon is kinda dumb. I haven't read the comic tho, so maybe it works.

its not like tactical realism poo poo its like OH NO THE MONSTER DESTROYED THE BRIDGE DURING THE ZORD FIGHT AND CARS ARE GONNA FALL so kimberly detaches the pterodactyl from the chest and catches the cars on the wings

it's really just "how does this fit into a larger world" not "let's make it realistic"

like, the best example i can think of besides that is scorpina ambushes tommy in his bedroom because OF COURSE that would happen if thevillains know your identity, so he hits his communicator and grabs her and teleports them away so his mom's not in danger

also bulk and skull have a power rangers fan podcast and there's a backup in every issue about them having goofy adventures

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
also the town has a fuckin air raid siren type deal that lets them know monsters are fuckin poo poo up

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Honestly, that doesn't sound particularly interesting or great.

Also I'm one of those weirdos who'd rather wait for a comic to get years in and then read a big run of thirty or so than have to follow a very young monthly so ehhh.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The current main series is a single story arc that'll only last about a year and I think Pink is a 5 issue miniseries.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cliff Racer posted:

Honestly, that doesn't sound particularly interesting or great.

Also I'm one of those weirdos who'd rather wait for a comic to get years in and then read a big run of thirty or so than have to follow a very young monthly so ehhh.

It's literally just taking the goofy poo poo from the show to its logical conclusion and not explaining any of it

Except for the part about how the Rangers feel about Tommy joining the team right after trying to kill them

Also Rita's plot involves stealing control of the Dragonzord and going Godzilla with it

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also, I can't stress this enough, Bulk and Skull have a power rangers fan podcast names Ranger Station after Chris Sims' irl column for reviewing MMPR and they are best friends and it is wonderful

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Eh sounds okay if you have 90s cartoon nostalgia, but the old show is associated with some bad memories for me.

I might become curious enough to read IF they used their new modern continuity to have all the teams they've had over the years operating at the same time in made up towns across the country. That's something that's never going to happen outside comics.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Well the book is called Mighty Morphin and is set immediately after Green With Evil but in vaguely modern times instead of the 90s so I don't think that's really a reasonable expectation to have any time soon

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also it's not like a forever-running superhero comic. The current story arc will last about a year, and I don't think it's 100% confirmed if the comic will continue after that, but if it does, it'll just jump to another point in Ranger history for another arc.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Waffleman_ posted:

Also it's not like a forever-running superhero comic. The current story arc will last about a year, and I don't think it's 100% confirmed if the comic will continue after that, but if it does, it'll just jump to another point in Ranger history for another arc.

Well the current arc is going to number four and I would imagine boom is gonna ride this gravy train as long as they can and as long as Higgins wants

And really I'm fine with him taking some time exploring the spaces in between episodes

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Really you should all be reading Power Rangers Pink because it's a sweet story about Kimberly going fuckin Hawkeye on fools and getting a dope new costume

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I really don't like power rangers.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Go gently caress yourself

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Power Rangers is p bad.
So are most comics.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Really you should all be reading Power Rangers Pink because it's a sweet story about Kimberly going fuckin Hawkeye on fools and getting a dope new costume

Why would you ever want a new costume?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

mikeycp posted:

Power Rangers is p bad.
So are most comics.

Incorrect on one count, hand tilt the second

Cliff Racer posted:

Why would you ever want a new costume?

Have you seen it though

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
A quick google search reveals that it is, indeed, not as good as the original. It feels too "modern day corporate" like new sports logos that have a lot of color gradients.
Least favorite part? The black boots with pink laces, which look kind of trashy, are a strong contender but I have to give it instead to the stripes on the side of her pants.

edit: And the one part of the original costume that I wasn't a fan of, the overly large amount of white on the sides of her helmet, is both a lot more noticeable in comic book form and makes it through to the new design, so thats a bit of a shame too.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 5, 2016

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cliff Racer posted:

A quick google search reveals that it is, indeed, not as good as the original. It feels too "modern day corporate" like new sports logos that have a lot of color gradients.
Least favorite part? The black boots with pink laces, which look kind of trashy, are a strong contender but I have to give it instead to the stripes on the side of her pants.

edit: And the one part of the original costume that I wasn't a fan of, the overly large amount of white on the sides of her helmet, is both a lot more noticeable in comic book form and makes it through to the new design, so thats a bit of a shame too.

it helps to have the context of her kicking rear end in like, motorcycle gear two pages before that, it's very much an extension of that outfit

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Cliff Racer has Bad Toku Opinions anyways.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Poison Mushroom posted:

Cliff Racer has Bad Toku Opinions anyways.

take out toku and i agree entirely with this post

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Power Ranger's worst feature is it's audio so I'm not shocked if it works well as a comic book.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
the guy writing Pink is also Brendan Fletcher, who's co-writer (possibly the only writer, now, since i'm behind) on Gotham Academy, which is an excellent comic

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

That's silly

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I honestly think it'd look better if the white segments of the helmet were black instead. (And remove the helmet lips because those never looked good)

As it is it's the same old helmet on a brand new design, which kind of clashes. I like what it's going for though, this is a temporary emergency Power Ranger suit built from whatever poo poo Kimberly has or has on her, instead of being refined and pure energy but solidified like the others.

Black and Pink looks good together.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

I honestly think it'd look better if the white segments of the helmet were black instead. (And remove the helmet lips because those never looked good)

As it is it's the same old helmet on a brand new design, which kind of clashes. I like what it's going for though, this is a temporary emergency Power Ranger suit built from whatever poo poo Kimberly has or has on her, instead of being refined and pure energy but solidified like the others.

Black and Pink looks good together.

I mean it's also built from pink ranger energy but yeah it's clearly an extension of her pseudo mad max biker gear thing and it works that way. I really like it for what it is

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

I mean it's also built from pink ranger energy but yeah it's clearly an extension of her pseudo mad max biker gear thing and it works that way. I really like it for what it is

But too much pink energy is dangerous!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Za Warudo is pretty loving cool. Always good to see an evil Ranger.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'm super not a fan of the costume design even if the story provides a reason as to why it's designed the way it is. I do like the three mode helmet.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I also don't think it looks all that great.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Man, its only been a day and OT has already released the Zyuohger subs. They must be loving this season as much as I to be going so quick.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Za Warudo is pretty loving cool. Always good to see an evil Ranger.

Seriously, we haven't had one of these since Abaranger (or Gekiranger if you want to count Rio and Mele) and like most evil 6ths, he makes his entrance by completely wrecking the team. I doubt he'll stay evil for long (probably about the length of the Rouki arc in Gaoranger at the most) but I'm looking forward to seeing where things go from here.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Larryb posted:

Seriously, we haven't had one of these since Abaranger (or Gekiranger if you want to count Rio and Mele) and like most evil 6ths, he makes his entrance by completely wrecking the team. I doubt he'll stay evil for long (probably about the length of the Rouki arc in Gaoranger at the most) but I'm looking forward to seeing where things go from here.

I'm curious to see if he's brainwashed, or if he's really a complete rear end in a top hat like AbareKiller :v:
Moreover, in the teaser from the previous episode, he appears to be human. Is he an actual human, or was he just engineered from Master Genis's Cells?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm curious to see if he's brainwashed, or if he's really a complete rear end in a top hat like AbareKiller :v:
Moreover, in the teaser from the previous episode, he appears to be human. Is he an actual human, or was he just engineered from Master Genis's Cells?

He's the human we saw chained up at the end of the previous episode (the one Genis shoved the powers of 3 Zyumen into), as far as I know he's a real one. His name is Mondo Misao apparently. Since (barring some kind of last minute surprise) he's not going to be a Ranger I'm curious now what they plan on doing with Bird Kusaka and the 6th Cube.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jun 6, 2016

• Locked thread