Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I'm surprised to hear Pak is on the chopping block, given that I've read nothing but good things about him here in the thread.

He's a neat concept. I kind of group him with Trog and Okawaru in my mind as the gods of War. Trog is the god of bloodshed. Oka is the god of skill in battle. Pak is the god of killing things with a magical shotgun. The magical end of the martial warrior spectrum of Gods. Basically the Vehumet of muscle wizards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I don't think every concept needs to be perfectly 'clean' to make a good god. For what's its worth, I like pakellas and nemelex. I wish nemelex had more permanent effects like the old days- a one-time draw from a special deck with the good results from the old deck of wonders at ***** would go a long way to bring some of that magic back.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Any tips for playing Pakellas / a deep dwarf? If he's going away I want to get that sweet DDAr action before the end of 0.18.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Tips for playing a DD: don't

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Arivia posted:

Any tips for playing Pakellas / a deep dwarf? If he's going away I want to get that sweet DDAr action before the end of 0.18.

Don't be DDAr

Be a DDFi or DDGl and start going into evo after pakellas gives you some good poo poo.
Artificer is a really bad start.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Counterpoint: Play a DDFi of Pakellas, understand that it's entirely different from usual Crawl. Once you hit the Pak altar the game becomes all about damage taken versus piety gained. Not much can outright kill you, but woe to the DD who runs out of piety and HW charges.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
This is my official request to not remove Pakellas.

Tolly, you should tell the thread about that Evoc troll you made.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it was a fairly competent troll and the pakellas evocations power curve flattened out the troll post-early game difficulty rise but it wasn't like fukken incredible

i don't think pakellas is in any danger though :v:

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Artificer is a really bad start.

I was talking about this when the wand change hit (which was a great change btw, new wands rule), and I still think artificers should start with a good damage wand. You could hand them Iceblast (9) and it still wouldn't be as good as berserker or assassin.

ICEBLAST OR RIOT

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Cool and good change to Jewelry Aquirement

StoryTime posted:

I was talking about this when the wand change hit (which was a great change btw, new wands rule), and I still think artificers should start with a good damage wand. You could hand them Iceblast (9) and it still wouldn't be as good as berserker or assassin.

ICEBLAST OR RIOT
Bring back the Rod of Striking!

Don't do this

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jun 5, 2016

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

if you haven't died yet, please check the up-stairs and report back. humor me.
As I mentioned in the post, I was dead by then already.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

What a time to be an octopode.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

StoryTime posted:

What a time to be an octopode.
Counterpoint: You're still an octopode.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Poison Mushroom posted:

Counterpoint: You're still an octopode.

Octopodes are really fun actually.

But they must get so chilly in the dungeon. I wish there was something they could wear around their shoulders to keep them warmer.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

PleasingFungus I know you are admin, please let me out of this labyrinth. :(

Edit: Something is loving wrong with the web version of Crawl, offline Okawaru never ever has gifted anything even remotely fitting to me in a timely fashion. Just entered Lair:8, playing on insanely laggy CBRO:

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 5, 2016

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

kalstrams posted:

PleasingFungus I know you are admin, please let me out of this labyrinth. :(

Edit: Something is loving wrong with the web version of Crawl, offline Okawaru never ever has gifted anything even remotely fitting to me in a timely fashion. Just entered Lair:8, playing on insanely laggy CBRO:

You're pretty set. that eveningstar is great.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

BigFactory posted:

You're pretty set. that eveningstar is great.
So it would seem, though my resists are not good, I think. Okawaru now needs to gift me fancy gloves to cover some resist hole.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
mashes *report abuse* button

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cleared Swamp and Spider (tabbed through both basically, except for the white and yellow corrosion guys in the early Spider. Should I head now into Slime, Elven Halls, or somewhere else?

About skills. 16.1 on M&F and stopped, 12.2 and 14.0 on Invocations and Dodging respectively - should I keep them up further on?

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

kalstrams posted:

Cleared Swamp and Spider (tabbed through both basically, except for the white and yellow corrosion guys in the early Spider. Should I head now into Slime, Elven Halls, or somewhere else?

About skills. 16.1 on M&F and stopped, 12.2 and 14.0 on Invocations and Dodging respectively - should I keep them up further on?

Is that mindelay for your weapon? You can check by looking at it in your inventory. If not, I'd say get there. Pick up some armor training if you haven't already? Fighting is also Cool and Good, since it helps you Not Die.
(remember: Kill Dudes -> switch to Not Be Killed By Dudes when your kill dudes ability is good -> Kill Dudes -> etc. is the general dummy's guide for skills)

Don't go Slime - that's more endgame.
You can dip into Elf if you want, but I would stay away for now - some scary stuff in there. (You have some decent MR, but a bit of rF/rC wouldn't hurt...)

I'd say clear the Orc Mines / Dungeon if you haven't already. Then start working at Vaults up to/including 4, then figure out where to go from there.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It is mindelay for an eveningstar.

You don't need any more invo(in fact, you don't even need as much as you have, although it's not a waste either because you have spirit shield).
If you have found any of: Lamp of Fire, Phial of Floods, Sack of Spiders, Box of Beasts, I would train some evocations.
Besides that, if you have enough skill for your large shield, train Fighting/Armor/Dodging. Basically till the end of the game.
Clear Orc and Dungeon, do vaults 1-4, do depths(carefully!), then do either abyss, slime, or vaults 5. Slime is not too hard if you're careful and have rCorr(and buff with everything you have before fighting TRJ, and kill him preferably while standing on upstairs and use consumables to get away from the stuff he's spawned while you killed him), Abyss is usually not too hard but can vary quite a bit, and V5 is in my opinion usually the hardest of these for your 3rd rune.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 5, 2016

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

5 more skill needed for the shield, so I'm still training that. I'll stop training invocations, and postpone training evocations until I find something of the four items mentioned. Orc and Dungeon already cleared, will go Vaults 1-4 now, then Depths.

Edit: Do I have to take the Swamp rune out of the Vault lock?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Race/class/god suggestion for me, who wants to start a run melee and transition into a big armored magic blaster?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I think it would be easier to start as a caster and progress into armor. Hill Orc fire elementalist you could get away with decently heavy armor because of their natural Str gain. God could be Vehumet, Sif, Ash, or if you really wanna mix very heavy armor and spells Chei.

kalstrams posted:

Edit: Do I have to take the Swamp rune out of the Vault lock?
No, it's not removed from the runes you have when you use it to open the door.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

IronicDongz posted:

I think it would be easier to start as a caster and progress into armor. Hill Orc fire elementalist you could get away with decently heavy armor because of their natural Str gain. God could be Vehumet, Sif, Ash, or if you really wanna mix very heavy armor and spells Chei.
No, it's not removed from the runes you have when you use it to open the door.

I've tried living the Chei every-man dream build before. It never works.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

How dangerous would it be to play with 2 Int?

Edit: How much Evocation do I want for Box of Beasts?

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 5, 2016

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

kalstrams posted:

How dangerous would it be to play with 2 Int?

Edit: How much Evocation do I want for Box of Beasts?

Not very dangerous if you're not a caster and haven't gone beyond Lair/Orc/S branches, but after that you run into more enemies that can hit you with stat loss and you're one bad roll away from brainless which is pretty much a game ender. Of course if you want to cast anything at all, Int 2 is pretty much worthless. And evo at 9 was giving me beasts that could easily handle eight-headed hydrae.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

pathetic little tramp posted:

Not very dangerous if you're not a caster and haven't gone beyond Lair/Orc/S branches, but after that you run into more enemies that can hit you with stat loss and you're one bad roll away from brainless which is pretty much a game ender. Of course if you want to cast anything at all, Int 2 is pretty much worthless. And evo at 9 was giving me beasts that could easily handle eight-headed hydrae.
gently caress, I need Int somewhere, and to think once more if I need evocations if I want to wear this:

I have 8 Int right now, without wearing it. :(

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
The worst feeling on Gozag is popping your first 4 shops at once; 2 weapon shops, 1 armor shop, and a jewelry shop, and finding only an ok ring.

edit: two more shops, armor and general. Still nothing, drat it!

editedit: AND Orc is only two levels. What the hell.

edit^3: With poo poo shops.

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 5, 2016

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Misclicked something on keyboard and went down the Hell stairs. I need to disable loving vi hotkey garbage, I bet that was it.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

jon joe posted:

The worst feeling on Gozag is popping your first 4 shops at once; 2 weapon shops, 1 armor shop, and a jewelry shop, and finding only an ok ring.

edit: two more shops, armor and general. Still nothing, drat it!

editedit: AND Orc is only two levels. What the hell.

edit^3: With poo poo shops.

Orc is only two levels anymore nowadays, yeah

Gozag is basically floor god taken to extremes and I love/hate him.

kalstrams posted:

Misclicked something on keyboard and went down the Hell stairs. I need to disable loving vi hotkey garbage, I bet that was it.

afaik there is nothing on vikeys that would cause you to go down a stair

(also vikeys are good and fast and efficient and I recommend everyone learn them, but That's Just My Opinion)

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I love that Harold got confused when he threw a net at me and I reflected it back at him.

I think I'd be pretty confused too.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

kalstrams posted:

gently caress, I need Int somewhere, and to think once more if I need evocations if I want to wear this:

I have 8 Int right now, without wearing it. :(

The -Int is on a ring so you can always swap it really quickly if you run across something that drains int. I'd still wear it.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Someone Awful! posted:

(also vikeys are good and fast and efficient and I recommend everyone learn them, but That's Just My Opinion)
I misclicked something next to G since I was auto travelling to Swamps to pick up a -Str +Int cloak since Okawaru gave me gloves with equivalent +Str, so now I can go for the ring without worrying about encumbrance or intelligence. Also false alarm I guess, I killed Geryon and summoned 10 people to help me kill the rest, didn't even go down to half health.

Now just to figure out how to escape Hell.

Edit: Out of Hell, time to go somewhere scary, I guess.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 5, 2016

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Zaodai posted:

I love that Harold got confused when he threw a net at me and I reflected it back at him.

I think I'd be pretty confused too.

He's not confused, he's stuck under the net. The indication that something is awake and can be stabbed is a ? in every case, confused or not.

kalstrams posted:

Now just to figure out how to escape Hell.

You can leave the same way you came in. If you're referring to being in one of the four hell branches and there's enemies you escaped from on a higher level you don't have to worry, all upstairs things bring you right to the vestibule, which you can just walk right out of.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Someone Awful! posted:

It's the correct opinion.
Everyone who doesn't like vikeys is bad and wrong :colbert:.

kalstrams posted:

I misclicked something next to G

You probably just hit GH to go to hell.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You probably just hit GH to go to hell.
Likely. Still, out and alive so I'll postpone my 1000 word essay objectively detailing inferiority of vi to emacs for later.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

If you splat this character, you're going to be kicking yourself for a long time .

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

You can probably tackle Elf, if you're feelin it - but I'd make sure to read up on the various things that come around/Elf in general. It can go bad pretty quickly, if you aren't careful.

Otherwise? Figure out how to crack V:5, probably. I suggest heavily buffing (haste!!) before going down the stairs. Also read a magic map scroll on V:5 if you get the chance, so you know where you're at if you have to teleport. Watch out for vault wardens!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

C7ty1 posted:

You can probably tackle Elf, if you're feelin it - but I'd make sure to read up on the various things that come around/Elf in general. It can go bad pretty quickly, if you aren't careful.

Otherwise? Figure out how to crack V:5, probably. I suggest heavily buffing (haste!!) before going down the stairs. Also read a magic map scroll on V:5 if you get the chance, so you know where you're at if you have to teleport. Watch out for vault wardens!
Just cleared Elf already. Last vault was slightly tricky, but I managed to eliminate summoning casters before they got out of hand.

Poison Mushroom posted:

If you splat this character, you're going to be kicking yourself for a long time .
Don't even begin. :smithicide:

• Locked thread