Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

So I guess it's mostly just a holdover from earlier comic books days when his tech was actually something special and powerful, combined with his popularity. All the other tech based characters are either third rate (like Doc Octopus and stuff) or have something going for them that actually makes it special, like being from the future or infused with dark magic or alien or whatever. I suppose the increased focus on his political prowess and stuff is an attempt to upgrade him without changing the character too much, but whatever. It's all comic books anyway.

Elfgames posted:

In that picture they're comparing the maximum output of those characters and ironman even says he can only hang in that weight class for two seconds with like the best powersource

I wasn't really talking about that line up, but just generally. They literally shoot the Hulk out into space because he's too dangerous. Thor is a god. Strange is a wizard that hops in out of this planar dimension at will. That new AI/android Vision dude is basically a god as well. They're fighting other gods, an AI that literally uses an entire city as a comet to destroy the earth. Alien civilizations, all that jazz. And here's Tony Stark, guy with a battery in his chest and a tech suit that can fly and shoot plasma. Whoop-de-loving-do. If it wasn't for his popularity and legacy he'd be on the same level as Doc Octopus or Kingpin, all things considering. Maybe the best comparison would be Doctor Doom, but Doom actually controls an entire country and, if I recall correctly, does a lot of poo poo with dark magic and stuff that makes him basically immortal.

It just irks me, is all. Don't even get me started on Hawkeye and Black Widow being in the Avengers. He's good with arrows and she's a super spy, and somehow they actually contribute in the fight against extinction level threats? At least Romanov is essential in keeping the Hulk in check.

But again, whatever, comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Iron Man was not popular when that was written.

Iron Man become popular in 2008.

None of the Avengers were popular characters, that's why Marvel was able to make movies about them in the first place. They sold off the popular ones and were left with the scraps, but through some good casting managed to make them the big names instead.

Aphrodite has a new favorite as of 14:27 on Jun 3, 2016

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I think Widow got a soviet version of the SS serum so she's got some of the same abilities as Cap, just not on the same level.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I think Widow got a soviet version of the SS serum so she's got some of the same abilities as Cap, just not on the same level.

Not in the movies, though.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Aphrodite posted:

Not in the movies, though.

Her super power is wearing that suit all that time and not smelling like something that's been soaked in sweat and filth.

Also you say Hawkeye is pretty good with a bow, but he's like, unbelievably good with a bow. They just never get a chance to show that off in the films.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Morpheus posted:

Her super power is wearing that suit all that time and not smelling like something that's been soaked in sweat and filth.

Also you say Hawkeye is pretty good with a bow, but he's like, unbelievably good with a bow. They just never get a chance to show that off in the films.

You mean apart from when he no-look headshots a fast-moving alien hoverboard pilot out of the sky in the first Avengers movie? You're right, yeah, they never show how good he is.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Memento posted:

You mean apart from when he no-look headshots a fast-moving alien hoverboard pilot out of the sky in the first Avengers movie? You're right, yeah, they never show how good he is.

That felt awfully hostile. Okay, let me reword, they rarely show how good he is. Usually it's just professional-archer-levels worth of skill. Though he also manages to take out the SHIELD carrier with some tricky no-scope curved arrow that hits juuuuust where it's supposed to go, that's the only time I recall (other than what you brought up).

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

If I had made the avengers, Hawkeye's hacking arrow would have literally been a USB thumb drive on the end of an arrow. Successfully mounting it on the first try would have instantly demonstrated his bow supremacy, and also been hilarious.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Ignite Memories posted:

If I had made the avengers, Hawkeye's hacking arrow would have literally been a USB thumb drive on the end of an arrow. Successfully mounting it on the first try would have instantly demonstrated his bow supremacy, and also been hilarious.

I want to see the USB Arrow fly into the slot, not work, engage tiny arrow motors to fly back out, rotate, and fly back in.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

It's still a bow...I mean, no matter how good you are, you can only have so many arrows with you, some of which have to be special arrows for tricky stuff, and having to constantly collect them seems like a serious disadvantage, aside from being able to shoot, what, 10 arrows per second if you're really super duper good? DC's Arrow never clicked with me for the same reason (besides all the family drama), it just shouldn't work. Not when you're fighting an army using bullets or alien laser guns and stuff. Spiderman, Daredevil, Jessica Jones, etc work for me because they keep it low key. Fighting organised crime or a villain with powers that aren't world ending to protect your neighbourhood or city is an appropriate match, you know?

It's not a suspension of disbelief thing, I get that. I love the Flash for the exact reason that it's really goofy. He's insanely overpowered and them being too dumb to use it to its full potential is part of the charm.

It's just that some things are internally inconsistent to such a degree that I'm left with the feeling that I'm missing some essential plot point or something, but I guess that's not the case.

Aphrodite posted:

Iron Man was not popular when that was written.

Iron Man become popular in 2008.

None of the Avengers were popular characters, that's why Marvel was able to make movies about them in the first place. They sold off the popular ones and were left with the scraps, but through some good casting managed to make them the big names instead.

I didn't know that. That's actually a really impressive achievement. Kudos to them.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Taeke posted:

It's still a bow...I mean, no matter how good you are, you can only have so many arrows with you, some of which have to be special arrows for tricky stuff, and having to constantly collect them seems like a serious disadvantage, aside from being able to shoot, what, 10 arrows per second if you're really super duper good? DC's Arrow never clicked with me for the same reason (besides all the family drama), it just shouldn't work. Not when you're fighting an army using bullets or alien laser guns and stuff. Spiderman, Daredevil, Jessica Jones, etc work for me because they keep it low key. Fighting organised crime or a villain with powers that aren't world ending to protect your neighbourhood or city is an appropriate match, you know?

It's not a suspension of disbelief thing, I get that. I love the Flash for the exact reason that it's really goofy. He's insanely overpowered and them being too dumb to use it to its full potential is part of the charm.

It's just that some things are internally inconsistent to such a degree that I'm left with the feeling that I'm missing some essential plot point or something, but I guess that's not the case.

The amount of times that bad guys have fired, straight on, at the Arrow Crew or whatever they are called, with machine guns, and missed every shot is staggering. It takes like a full second for the heroes to move out of the way, too, it's not like they're hidden in the shadows or have great reflexes or anything.

There are multiple scenes where the good guys are chasing behind a car while on motorbikes, and there will be two or three bad guys shooting at them and missing every shot while the motorbikes don't even swerve to avoid anything. It's just stretching that suspension of disbelief to breaking points and beyond at that point.

Edit: that first crossover episode where the Flash turned temporarily evil was great because the Flash was beating the poo poo out of the Arrow with his super speed like he should in literally every encounter with someone who isn't a speedster.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In 2000 Marvel had actually even sold the rights to Captain America and Thor to Artisan Entertainment, along with Ant Man, Morbius and Longshot. Goes to show how highly valued those properties were.

Nothing ever came of the deal though, so they got them back.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Ignite Memories posted:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Morpheus posted:

I want to see the USB Arrow fly into the slot, not work, engage tiny arrow motors to fly back out, rotate, still not work,and fly back to its original position and then work

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-DwXZXUrSU&t=182s

Your USB might need a DOOMP

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I initially misread "sovcit version" and thought there was a batshit Captain America clone running around out there with a gold-fringed shield

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I initially misread "sovcit version" and thought there was a batshit Captain America clone running around out there with a gold-fringed shield

I just imagined Dale Gribble as Captain America and for a moment my heart was full of light and life, and all was good with the world.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Screaming Idiot posted:

I just imagined Dale Gribble as Captain America and for a moment my heart was full of light and life, and all was good with the world.

And in a shocking twist, it turns out he was an agent for Mr. Big the entire time!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Surprisingly, there has never been a Judge Dredd/Captain America crossover, so Steve Rogers has never fought a Sovcit judge. But I did find this from one of the original artists:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
This seems to have turned into a "PYF Comic Book Thread", but to go back to movies in general: when comedy movies seem to doubt the audience's ability to get why something is funny and go way over the top, beating you over the head with it. Not an exact example, but just the general idea like if someone slips and falls they'll zoom in on a character making a "funny" remark like "that's gotta hurt!" etc. I made the mistake of watching the Adam Sandler movie "Blended" and while I wasn't expecting much from it this really irritated me.

Also: when movie producers/writers don't even try to create a realistic setting/atmosphere. In that movie, they take a trip to "Africa", but it looks like the whole movie was filmed inside some tacky Disney theme park. You don't have to actually film it in Africa since I'm sure that'd be expensive, but is it too much to ask to at least try and make it look less like a resort in Florida?

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Murphy Brownback posted:

You don't have to actually film it in Africa since I'm sure that'd be expensive, but is it too much to ask to at least try and make it look less like a resort in Florida?

These days Adam Sandler characters' costumes are whatever the man himself showed up on set wearing. He literally could not give less of a poo poo anymore.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Parts were filmed in Africa. Don't you remember during the Sony hacks were it was revealed that Adam Sandler's movies are just a vacation scheme?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Parts were filmed in Africa. Don't you remember during the Sony hacks were it was revealed that Adam Sandler's movies are just a vacation scheme?

I don't, but assuming that's true that's almost worse since they seemed to go out of their way to make it as tacky and generic "African" as possible.

In any case that movie is awful and the only way it could have been worse is the inclusion of Rob Schnieder.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

bobkatt013 posted:

That was a theory put forth by RLM.
That said they justify it pretty well.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Murphy Brownback posted:

when comedy movies seem to doubt the audience's ability to get why something is funny and go way over the top, beating you over the head with it.
I've heard people complain about shows like Archer doing obscure jokes or references and not explaining them, but I'd much rather there be stuff I didn't get than have every joke explained to me. It's funnier if they don't explain it, and it doesn't matter if you miss some of the jokes as long as you're getting most of them. And if you're not getting most of them then no amount of explanation is likely to make it funny to you.

RagnarokAngel posted:

That was a theory put forth by RLM.
Nick Swardson pretty much said as much on The Late Show recently.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

You can tell a comedy movie is going to be bad when they devote several seconds showing someone's flabbergasted reaction to something mundane. This is how you realise Spy Hard is not made by the creators of Naked Gun.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Canemacar posted:

And in a shocking twist, it turns out he was an agent for Mr. Big the entire time!

*takes off sunglasses*
"Thank you for not smoking."

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Murphy Brownback posted:

This seems to have turned into a "PYF Comic Book Thread", but to go back to movies in general: when comedy movies seem to doubt the audience's ability to get why something is funny and go way over the top, beating you over the head with it.

I had a huge problem with this in the show "BoJack Horseman". In one of the first episodes, a character is talking about her time dating actor Andrew Garfield. She at one point complains that "He would only ever order lasagna!" I thought that was kinda clever/silly, but then another character pops up, "Wait, Andrew *Garfield* loves lasagna?!?" Then a little bit later, she mentions Andrew Garfield would get angry when his agent scheduled auditions on a Monday. Again, clever, but then that other character again goes, "Wait, Andrew *Garfield* loves lasagna *AND* hates Monday?!?" It's like the writers didn't trust the audience enough to catch the joke, what could have been a subtle running gag instead had huge lights pointed at it saying "HERE'S THE JOKE, LAUGH HERE!" I almost expected them to just say "He's just like the cat from the comic strip! How wacky!"

I could not get past the first three or four episodes of the show, between stuff like that, the constant horrible animal puns (and I'm somebody that normally loves stupid puns), the indecision if Aaron Paul's character is the straight man or the wacky roommate character, and the writers getting up on their soapbox every episode, I really don't get the love for that show.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Eh! Frank posted:

I really don't get the love for that show.

It's OK. We're all wrong sometimes.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Eh! Frank posted:

I had a huge problem with this in the show "BoJack Horseman". In one of the first episodes, a character is talking about her time dating actor Andrew Garfield. She at one point complains that "He would only ever order lasagna!" I thought that was kinda clever/silly, but then another character pops up, "Wait, Andrew *Garfield* loves lasagna?!?" Then a little bit later, she mentions Andrew Garfield would get angry when his agent scheduled auditions on a Monday. Again, clever, but then that other character again goes, "Wait, Andrew *Garfield* loves lasagna *AND* hates Monday?!?" It's like the writers didn't trust the audience enough to catch the joke, what could have been a subtle running gag instead had huge lights pointed at it saying "HERE'S THE JOKE, LAUGH HERE!" I almost expected them to just say "He's just like the cat from the comic strip! How wacky!"
I've just been watching this recently, and that was the worst. It was a funny joke until they explained it and then repeated it and then explained it again.

Eh! Frank posted:

I could not get past the first three or four episodes of the show, between stuff like that, the constant horrible animal puns (and I'm somebody that normally loves stupid puns), the indecision if Aaron Paul's character is the straight man or the wacky roommate character, and the writers getting up on their soapbox every episode, I really don't get the love for that show.
I've watched 7 episodes, and it's OK, but I've heard it's great and I'm not seeing it. I also don't get why half the characters are animal people. If everyone was human you'd lose maybe a couple of kind of funny bits with Mr Peanut-Butter, but nothing else, so I'm not sure why they made the decision to have animal-people. It's certainly not integral to the premise. Also I noticed in a couple of episodes that they have some pretty great/funny voice actors playing really minor roles, which seems like a waste. :shrug:

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

The bojack horseman thing is a joke within a joke. Nobody except that one character got the joke and he was confused why nobody else thought it was funny. It's a meta thing.

Now if you don't like the meta thing sure, whatever, that's reasonable, but it wasn't an attempt to explain the joke.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Murphy Brownback posted:

Also: when movie producers/writers don't even try to create a realistic setting/atmosphere. In that movie, they take a trip to "Africa", but it looks like the whole movie was filmed inside some tacky Disney theme park. You don't have to actually film it in Africa since I'm sure that'd be expensive, but is it too much to ask to at least try and make it look less like a resort in Florida?

Not to get all pedantic but when you're saying they should make the set look "African" you're doing the same thing the film makers did when they made the travel destination Africa. What urban Johannesburg or rural Somalia? I mean if you were going to make a set look "North American" it might be some small American town with guys in cowboy boots driving pickups. Fine but that's just a stereotype and neither representative or accurate. I dunno, I'm just glad whenever I see a perspective on Africa that's not mud huts in an arid desert.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's a big tourist resort, of course it's tacky.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Crocodile Dundee : what the mugger had was clearly a knife, just a smaller one that Dundee's. Therefore his statement " that's not a knife, this is a knife" is only half correct.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Anos posted:

Not to get all pedantic but when you're saying they should make the set look "African" you're doing the same thing the film makers did when they made the travel destination Africa. What urban Johannesburg or rural Somalia? I mean if you were going to make a set look "North American" it might be some small American town with guys in cowboy boots driving pickups. Fine but that's just a stereotype and neither representative or accurate. I dunno, I'm just glad whenever I see a perspective on Africa that's not mud huts in an arid desert.

You may notice that I continually used quotes around "African" and "Africa". They never once said in the movie as far as I knew what country in Africa it was, so what we got is generic "Africa" that you get at theme parks. That was my entire point. We didn't get a view of any real African country, we just got the distilled version that is relateable to people who have been to Animal Kingdom or Busch Gardens a couple times.

e: and yes they did go to a resort which is tacky by nature but it was still very over the top. Even if a resort like the one in the movie exists, why go to it when you could get the same experience in florida?

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 19:23 on Jun 5, 2016

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Crocodile Dundee : what the mugger had was clearly a knife, just a smaller one that Dundee's. Therefore his statement " that's not a knife, this is a knife" is only half correct.
I think the implication being made was that the knife was small enough not to deserve being called such.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Murphy Brownback posted:

You may notice that I continually used quotes around "African" and "Africa". They never once said in the movie as far as I knew what country in Africa it was, so what we got is generic "Africa" that you get at theme parks. That was my entire point. We didn't get a view of any real African country, we just got the distilled version that is relateable to people who have been to Animal Kingdom or Busch Gardens a couple times.

e: and yes they did go to a resort which is tacky by nature but it was still very over the top. Even if a resort like the one in the movie exists, why go to it when you could get the same experience in florida?

Because then you can't say you've been to Africa.

Rich white people want to see "Africa", not South Africa.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I love when they create fake African countries, like "Niberia"

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Agent355 posted:

The bojack horseman thing is a joke within a joke. Nobody except that one character got the joke and he was confused why nobody else thought it was funny. It's a meta thing.

Now if you don't like the meta thing sure, whatever, that's reasonable, but it wasn't an attempt to explain the joke.

This. Lots of reasons you might not like the show but it's pretty clear what's happening is not meant to pander to the audience. If anything it might make you feel uncomfortable for the characters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

bojack is my spirit animal