Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

FlyingCheese posted:

Well, your first mistake is installing an antivirus on your phone. Get rid of that poo poo and see if it's still happening. You don't need an antivirus unless you like installing random apk's from Chinese/Russian websites, and even then I'm not sure it'll even do anything.

JFC, he said he downloaded AVG to try to solve the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

FlyingCheese posted:

Well, your first mistake is installing an antivirus on your phone.

Pretty much.

Non-Windows OSes actually may need security software sometimes, but for a conscientious user (not many, admittedly, and those who aren't will hopefully be given least privileges and may even be sandboxed) it's about not being a carrier of computer diseases, and since over 99% of phone stuff should be stored online anyway, data hygiene is the server's problem, not yours.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

sean10mm posted:

So I just got a Galaxy S7 Edge, and it's great... except that it seems slower running games than my old S6? :wtc:

New phone, nothing messed with, just updated to latest OS.

The S7 software throttles the poo poo out of apps categorized as games, renders them at 1080, etc. Download game tuner (Samsung official app from their Galaxy Apps store) to adjust this behavior.

E: huh, my work Verizon S5 upgraded to 6.0.1 from 5.0.1 while I was on vacation.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 4, 2016

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

JFC, he said he downloaded AVG to try to solve the problem.

Oh, whoops!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
well i think the problem is related to car mode because its started happening again and going into car mode when its out of my pocket

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Jose posted:

i've got an htc one m8 and last night the screen started switching on randomly when my phone was just sat on my desk. the only app i've downloaded in months was the avg anti virus just now but that found nothing. Any idea whats causing it?

Seconding power button, mine went after 2 years and did this, see the thread title for pro advice. The next step in the decline is the phone not turning on or off, totally non responsive, I was double tapping to wake and set a 15 second screen off timer as a stopgap.. then I shattered my screen and bought a Nexus 5x through Fi.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
well thats a really poo poo time for it to happen when i changed contract to keep the phone and pay less and have to wait a year

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I've just transitioned from a HTC One M8 to a Samsung Galaxy S7. Pretty happy overall, but I've noticed the Wifi connection is sluggish on the phone, without it seemingly being the connections' fault. Speedtest on the old M8 shows about 2 Mbps faster on there then the S7 for no clear reason, but even that deviance doesn't explain constant video buffering/sites loading slow/etc.

I can see from some basic googling that there was an issue on release with Wifi and possibly some issues relating to Bluetooth, but my phone is updated to the latest firmware and even with the bluetooth off exhibits the same issues.

Anyone have any insight? I'm in the UK, and on Three, for reference.

galahan posted:

Seconding power button, mine went after 2 years and did this, see the thread title for pro advice. The next step in the decline is the phone not turning on or off, totally non responsive, I was double tapping to wake and set a 15 second screen off timer as a stopgap.. then I shattered my screen and bought a Nexus 5x through Fi.

Out of interest, did you ever have issues with the volume up/down buttons on the M8? Mine would go on the fritz near constantly and throw the volume to max at really inconvenient times, either deafening me if I was wearing headphones or blaring my previously quiet music for everyone in the room to enjoy.

Arianya fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 5, 2016

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Conot posted:

Out of interest, did you ever have issues with the volume up/down buttons on the M8? Mine would go on the fritz near constantly and throw the volume to max at really inconvenient times, either deafening me if I was wearing headphones or blaring my previously quiet music for everyone in the room to enjoy.

Not until I dropped it and shattered the screen (it hit that corner first) mine would volume down all the way with down and I'd have to hit up to set it.

It was a good phone otherwise I think the battery life was better, but I was running a minimalist rom that XDA folks built their minimalist Roms from and had battery saving kernel tweaks, amplify, and more aggressive doze.

I'm trying stock until Android n drops.. the only things that kinda bug me are that I can't uninstall chrome or Gmail, I use Firefox with ublock and ghostery and Google inbox.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Is there a list of magical incantations I can say to the Google search to make it do useful things? Like I used to be able to say "navigate to X" and it would auto open whatever map app was set to default. Now it just does a literal Google search of the entire phrase.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I've never used it before, but I just tried "navigate to x". The first time I said it, it pulled up a card with my contact information and I could press a button to navigate, then it asked me if I wanted to use Google Maps or HERE Maps. The second time I said it, it pulled up Google Maps directly.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
For me it's completely random. Sometime Google starts Maps right away and sometimes it does the search thing.

Maybe try 'How do I get to X'. That works more often for me at least. You can even say 'by car / bike / etc' and it'll start the corresponding navigation mode.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
What's the best way to train ok Google voice recognition? Is there any particular intonation that should be used? Should you try and say it three different ways, or the same each time? Mine seems to stop working every few weeks and prompts me to retrain it.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

peepsalot posted:

Is there a list of magical incantations I can say to the Google search to make it do useful things? Like I used to be able to say "navigate to X" and it would auto open whatever map app was set to default. Now it just does a literal Google search of the entire phrase.

Somewhere there is. On my 5x, droid turbo, and 13 moto x, Google now voice was and is loving terrible. About 50% of the time, I'd get a Google search of "navigate to x" or "set a reminder" which have to be like the most common voice memos. I've since given up.

Also I've never gotten the song recognition to work, ever. It always comes back with an error.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I get this great one where I say OK Google and the phone wakes up, ignores me for a few seconds and then googles the word 'google'.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

What I'm about to say sounds like it's not useful, but I think it is because it means there is possibly something, somewhere that can remedy your problem rather than it just being that voice search is horrible.

I don't recall voice search ever just searching for "navigate to..." (or any other command) rather than performing the action and I use voice input fairly frequently.

I seem to have a faint memory of someone fixing this by changing from US English to UK English or something like that.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
It used to be the case that certain commands only worked when it was set to US English (ok Google detection being one of them), I think, but it is no longer.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

After having an amazon echo for a few months I realize now how absolutely abysmal Google voice is.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Bob A Feet posted:

Somewhere there is. On my 5x, droid turbo, and 13 moto x, Google now voice was and is loving terrible. About 50% of the time, I'd get a Google search of "navigate to x" or "set a reminder" which have to be like the most common voice memos. I've since given up.

Also I've never gotten the song recognition to work, ever. It always comes back with an error.

Works on my machine. Works loving great too.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

On Terra Firma posted:

After having an amazon echo for a few months I realize now how absolutely abysmal Google voice is.

This but literally and vociferously the absolute opposite.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

On Terra Firma posted:

What? Are we talking about the same thing?

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/complete-list-of-ok-google-commands/

Okay Google commands are great. :confused:

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Smythe posted:

This but literally and vociferously the absolute opposite.

Same. My cousin has an Echo and the only time I've seen it work as intended was when she used it to smash a spider. My phone catches 95%+ of my voice commands in the first try.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

XIII posted:

My cousin has an Echo and the only time I've seen it work as intended was when she used it to smash a spider.
To be fair, that's a pretty cool voice command.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Bob A Feet posted:

I use it frequently and it works fine for me.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

chippy posted:

I get this great one where I say OK Google and the phone wakes up, ignores me for a few seconds and then googles the word 'google'.

Mine likes to activate when I'm listening to podcasts and someone says "Hey you" or anything that sounds remotely like the vowels in "OK Google".

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

XIII posted:

Same. My cousin has an Echo and the only time I've seen it work as intended was when she used it to smash a spider. My phone catches 95%+ of my voice commands in the first try.

My echo can pick up a normal "inside voice" over loud music from across the room. Google takes 2-3 tries just to get it to open and it's been that way between 2 different phones.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Your voice is broken.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Oh, ok. My fault and not the recognition. That makes sense.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

On Terra Firma posted:

This is me.
My voice does not get picked up by anything. Not the Echo, my phone, my tablet. Cortena.. I've not tried siri but I don't expect it'd work either.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

deong posted:

This is me.
My voice does not get picked up by anything. Not the Echo, my phone, my tablet. Cortena.. I've not tried siri but I don't expect it'd work either.

I'm incredibly curious what your voice sounds like.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Me too. Please upload an aircheck. If you require material to read, please consult this SAcyclopedia entry.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

deong posted:

This is me.

Haha, I was actually going to post about how nothing seems to pick up your voice.

He's not lying. I don't think I've ever seen any device respond to his voice. But, if I say "okay google now", both of our phones will respond to mine.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

XIII posted:

Haha, I was actually going to post about how nothing seems to pick up your voice.

He's not lying. I don't think I've ever seen any device respond to his voice. But, if I say "okay google now", both of our phones will respond to mine.

I'm sure he's not lying, but Google's voice recognition poo poo is really really good and even understands my quaint Canadian accent perfectly when I speak English, French, and Dutch,, so I want to hear what his voice sounds like.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm sure he's not lying, but Google's voice recognition poo poo is really really good and even understands my quaint Canadian accent perfectly when I speak English, French, and Dutch,, so I want to hear what his voice sounds like.

My voice doesn't carry well, and I mumble too much probably. People typically don't hear me unless they know I'm talking to them, so saying something in passing often gets missed.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
Voice recog works well for me in English even though i'm not a native speaker. What i'd love to see implemented though is recognition in different languages at the same time. Living in Germany and saying "how do i get to somethingstrasse" will try to guess the name of the street in English :(

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Cable posted:

Voice recog works well for me in English even though i'm not a native speaker. What i'd love to see implemented though is recognition in different languages at the same time. Living in Germany and saying "how do i get to somethingstrasse" will try to guess the name of the street in English :(

Yeah I noticed that problem too when speaking Dutch place names to it, so I just learned the basic questions in Dutch which was easy enough for me. For navigation the answers are easy because it's usually just a Google Maps result, but you have to be able to understand the answer a well haha

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

deong posted:

This is me.

Like I said, my echo can pick up anything and everything I say, even really weird questions/artists/songs.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

My voice gets picked up by my echo from my upstairs bathroom (having asked it to put toothpaste on the list) which is up a flight of stairs from the dining room, which itself is opposite the living room from the Echo. The bathroom is on the other end of the house and up stairs from the Echo and I spoke a little louder than I normally do (think "giving a speech to a meeting room" versus "talking to someone on the same couch as you") but didn't have to yell.

I've gotten occasional compliments on the clarity and sonorous qualities of my voice but I never thought anything of it until I'm seeing a bunch of marble-mouthed goons say machines built to recognize voices can't recognize their voice.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

On Terra Firma posted:

No, what I'm saying is that Google voice recognition is almost universally praised. Just because there's some weird thing about the way you speak doesn't make it garbage.

Also, the Echo is built with array mics and designed for long range voice. Google voice works with the single mic of your phone and designed for short range usage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

No, what I'm saying is that Google voice recognition is almost universally praised. Just because there's some weird thing about the way you speak doesn't make it garbage.

There's nothing weird about the way that I speak though, but ok?