Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Anyone here every do anything with nonviolent restraint techniques? Like the kind of thing that nurses use for restraining violent people while presenting as little risk of injury or pain as possible (such as if an Alzheimer's patient is losing his poo poo and needs to be protected from himself)?

Any good books or resources on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

CommonShore posted:

Anyone here every do anything with nonviolent restraint techniques? Like the kind of thing that nurses use for restraining violent people while presenting as little risk of injury or pain as possible (such as if an Alzheimer's patient is losing his poo poo and needs to be protected from himself)?

Any good books or resources on this?

http://www.crisisprevention.com

My hospital has trainers certified by these guys that nurses and other staff can book courses through. They can be anywhere from 4 to 16 hours and have a few good ways to keep yourself and patients safe. Although honestly the best way to get good at restraining aggressive patients without anyone getting hurt is to just do it a bunch and get used to how demented people try to hurt you/themselves/other staff.

Source: I'm a hospital security guard.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

So I'm fairly sure I've made posts on this forum about really wanting to do some kind of MA, but never really biting the bullet.

I went to my first BJJ class last night, and it was so loving fun. All I know is that I know absolutely nothing, and also that I hurt. I wanted to go to the ladies class today, but the wrath of god is pouring from the sky, so I might just watch some youtube videos or something.

Any good beginner resources beyond what's in the OP?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
After getting stuck in DFW and having to crash at a friend's overnight, we made it into Lubbock today late morning. All I did last night was ease up on water by afternoon.
My teammate was 5 lbs overweight, and we opted to do Epsom salts for him. 2x 20min sessions cut 4.5lbs, and a well-timed dump got him the rest of the way.
I was about half a pound under on our scales, so got a few gulps of water.

At official weighins, teammate was 69.8kg for 70kg, and I was 84.7kg for 85kg. We started hydrating right away. Big dinner later, I'm back up to 192.6, or about 5.9lbs up.
Still thinking about 2nd dinner later.

Saw a dude at weighins who had 4 or 5 inches on me weigh in at 87kg for 90kg. Glaaad he opted for a easy cut, based on his size.

This is the US team trials for the Pan-Am Sanshou championships, but it's also US national championships for all ages and classes. So there's dozens of 6-12yos ready to fight. It's very :3: and takes the edge off of the little nerves I had.

This is what the leitai looks like:

The official leitai of the 2008 Beijing Wushu tournament, apparently.
It's owned by the local sanshou gym and part of why the team trials have been held in town. It's really nice in terms of solidity and bounce and mat grip.

mewse
May 2, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

At official weighins, teammate was 69.8kg for 70kg, and I was 84.7kg for 85kg. We started hydrating right away. Big dinner later, I'm back up to 192.6, or about 5.9lbs up.

Will you need to weigh in again if you win and progress in the tourney?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

mewse posted:

Will you need to weigh in again if you win and progress in the tourney?

Nah. Weighins are likely to be pretty lenient, as a big contigent of folks are stuck in Houston from weather-delayed flights. I'd be fine fighting someone who missed weight in exchange for having had to make alternate travel plans just to get here.

The tournament brackets are gonna be announced tomorrow at 8:30am, with fighting starting at 10. I actually don't know right now who if anyone is in 85kg, so not sure how many fights I'll get tomorrow. Maybe I'll be the new mobn medal finisher of my class.
I imagine the kids will go first, and then either lightest weight classes or classes with most rounds to run through.

Going to sleep weight is 195.8lbs -- we went out and got another dinner with more carbs (ok, and lots of fat, too).
It's really weird to see yourself at 187 and then a few hours later at 196. It's like 2 different people. Sure, it's a lot of pounds in the belly, but even a bit of water weight changes the shape of your face.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

kimbo305 posted:

Nah. Weighins are likely to be pretty lenient, as a big contigent of folks are stuck in Houston from weather-delayed flights. I'd be fine fighting someone who missed weight in exchange for having had to make alternate travel plans just to get here.

The tournament brackets are gonna be announced tomorrow at 8:30am, with fighting starting at 10. I actually don't know right now who if anyone is in 85kg, so not sure how many fights I'll get tomorrow. Maybe I'll be the new mobn medal finisher of my class.
I imagine the kids will go first, and then either lightest weight classes or classes with most rounds to run through.

Going to sleep weight is 195.8lbs -- we went out and got another dinner with more carbs (ok, and lots of fat, too).
It's really weird to see yourself at 187 and then a few hours later at 196. It's like 2 different people. Sure, it's a lot of pounds in the belly, but even a bit of water weight changes the shape of your face.

Good luck dude, beat the gently caress outta some nerds for the thread

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I'm glad you went through with this. Good luck dude.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Patrovsky posted:

So I'm fairly sure I've made posts on this forum about really wanting to do some kind of MA, but never really biting the bullet.

I went to my first BJJ class last night, and it was so loving fun. All I know is that I know absolutely nothing, and also that I hurt. I wanted to go to the ladies class today, but the wrath of god is pouring from the sky, so I might just watch some youtube videos or something.

Any good beginner resources beyond what's in the OP?

The Ribeiro's "Jiujitsu University and Renzo's "Mastering Jiujitsu" are good books for beginners, and Stephen Kesting's videos are also helpful, but tbh at white belt level nothing is going to help you as much as just going to class regularly and getting mat time in.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

After getting stuck in DFW and having to crash at a friend's overnight, we made it into Lubbock today late morning. All I did last night was ease up on water by afternoon.
My teammate was 5 lbs overweight, and we opted to do Epsom salts for him. 2x 20min sessions cut 4.5lbs, and a well-timed dump got him the rest of the way.
I was about half a pound under on our scales, so got a few gulps of water.

Saw a dude at weighins who had 4 or 5 inches on me weigh in at 87kg for 90kg. Glaaad he opted for a easy cut, based on his size.

This is the US team trials for the Pan-Am Sanshou championships, but it's also US national championships for all ages and classes. So there's dozens of 6-12yos ready to fight. It's very :3: and takes the edge off of the little nerves I had.

This is what the leitai looks like:

The official leitai of the 2008 Beijing Wushu tournament, apparently.
It's owned by the local sanshou gym and part of why the team trials have been held in town. It's really nice in terms of solidity and bounce and mat grip.

Good luck, man.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Have fun OP

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
Glad you decided to do it kimbo, it'll be a blast and I'm looking forward to the after report!

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
yeah wish you the best man

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Question about, IDK, etiquette, I suppose.

Basically, I ended up sparring with a guy who started more recently than I, and we were doing attacks from mount. He was able to get me into an awkward position that left me unable to continue with the class's technique, and I reacted rather instinctively by getting into side control. The instructor told me to stop because we weren't doing side control; we were doing mount.

So, my question is, should I take this as a personal reprimand for breaching a rule of etiquette, or was it more likely a case of the other guy being a bit newer than me, and I'm making too much of it?

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
just practice the stuff your instructor tells you to practice. or ask him why you end up in that awkward position and how to avoid going there

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

origami posted:

yeah wish you the best man

Thanks for the well wishes, but I wasn't able to harness the spirit energy into a win.
Ended up being 3 guys in the weight class. I didn't get a bye. Lost the first match to a Bruce Wang; gassed hard in the 2nd round after a closish first round that went to him.
The guy with the bye was friends with Bruce, so their coach, also part of the organizers, offered me to fight again. Of course! They even let the fight be for silver medal.
Just came back from that match. Also a loss. I was a lot more relaxed and dialed back my offensive output. What I did got too predicable, so he took me down all day in the first. Did better in the 2nd, even hynotizing him into walking off the leitai, but pretty comfortable win for him.

We have video of both, so I'll dissect everything once they're uploaded.

Teammate was in class of 4, and he lost his first to the gold medal winner and his having his bronze medal match this afternoon.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

kimbo305 posted:

Thanks for the well wishes, but I wasn't able to harness the spirit energy into a win.
Ended up being 3 guys in the weight class. I didn't get a bye. Lost the first match to a Bruce Wang; gassed hard in the 2nd round after a closish first round that went to him.
The guy with the bye was friends with Bruce, so their coach, also part of the organizers, offered me to fight again. Of course! They even let the fight be for silver medal.
Just came back from that match. Also a loss. I was a lot more relaxed and dialed back my offensive output. What I did got too predicable, so he took me down all day in the first. Did better in the 2nd, even hynotizing him into walking off the leitai, but pretty comfortable win for him.

We have video of both, so I'll dissect everything once they're uploaded.

Teammate was in class of 4, and he lost his first to the gold medal winner and his having his bronze medal match this afternoon.

Sounds like you had some tough competition and did your best. Great job putting yourself out there and competing!

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
leaving injury free is always a victory

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

RIP my Judo green belt. I had it for 21 years and 1 month. During that time it collected dust as I quit martial arts for music, went to university, got drunk, got fat, rediscovered fitness, took up boxing, started grappling again, and then finally returned to Judo.

Let's hope the blue belt, while cool and good, doesn't overstay its welcome in the same way.

I will take a picture once I get the actual belt. The instructor was waiting for a shipment of belts to come in before promoting me, but it took too long, and I let my friend who also got promoted take the one good new blue belt (which fit him perfectly). I have a temporary, ill-fitting, weird gross sorta grey one for another week or so. For now it's :justpost:

I also did the Canada Level 1 coaching course last weekend, which was also fun. This means that I'm technically qualified and insured to be the supervising instructor for a judo class now.

Next target: BJJ blue belt.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Congrats!

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Are there any detailed pro fighter training regimens online? As an hobbyist I can pretty much practice 4-5 times a week, 5 being the total maximum of MA training sessions. I'm not talented and I work a lot of night shifts, so my recovery is probably long way from the optimum, but considering that pro fighters train twice a day and/or also have other jobs (like Demetrious Johnson works in a factory and Chris Lytle is an firefighter) i can't really understand how they do it without mexican supplements. I understand the importance of a clean diet and massages and all that, but it still seems incredible those people can do what they do. Are they just able to force themselves through fatigue and still be able to concentrate on training or do some people just recover a lot faster?

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

ManOfTheYear posted:

Are there any detailed pro fighter training regimens online? As an hobbyist I can pretty much practice 4-5 times a week, 5 being the total maximum of MA training sessions. I'm not talented and I work a lot of night shifts, so my recovery is probably long way from the optimum, but considering that pro fighters train twice a day and/or also have other jobs (like Demetrious Johnson works in a factory and Chris Lytle is an firefighter) i can't really understand how they do it without mexican supplements. I understand the importance of a clean diet and massages and all that, but it still seems incredible those people can do what they do. Are they just able to force themselves through fatigue and still be able to concentrate on training or do some people just recover a lot faster?

DJ is a freak who can pick up techniques super fast. I think he quit his job at the box factory after his first UFC fight, though.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Keg posted:

DJ is a freak who can pick up techniques super fast. I think he quit his job at the box factory after his first UFC fight, though.

In the Joe Rogan Experience podcast he was still doing his factory job I think, that was put on youtube 2.12.2015. He also does his twitch stuff and has a family, how the gently caress he has so much energy and time?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

A combination of fairly lax doping policies, weak penalties and a better doctor?

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

ImplicitAssembler posted:

A combination of fairly lax doping policies, weak penalties and a better doctor?

That's the only thing I can think of.

On that note, are there any people here who practice combat sports while on TRT or something else like that? I understand if it recovers your muscles but if I practice grappling or striking on three consecutive days, my cordination is way off and my body doesn't really do what I want it to, can't concentrate too well either. On fourth day I'm basically dead. Do performance enchancing drugs or practices help with that and can some people just deal with that naturally a lot better than others? All very succesful top atheletes are freaks anyway, so can you be freak recovery wise too?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

A proper diet and enough sleep can also do wonders. I know Crossfit people who can do 8-10 workouts per week along with a fulltime job, but they also spent a lot of effort on diet, etc.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Some people just recover better. many people use drugs.

Also they get hurt but hide it and take a few years off their lives as a result of the strain. So...

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
We really need to resurrect the steroids thread in psp

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Mighty Mouse quit his job and started training full time after he won the flyweight title. And the answer to your question is that they are eating a lot more and better than most people, and the guys doing two-a-days are usually taking a nap in between in addition to a full night's sleep. Plus ice baths, massages, and sometimes some of the weirder/higher tech recovery methods.

Also, when you see fighter routines, those are usually their routines for the eight-week pre-fight camp. They're not doing that year-round.

There's a lot of chemical enhancement involved too, although substantially less now that the USADA is doing random testing year-round.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Does anybody here do ice baths after grappling or is it a once a week thing?

mewse
May 2, 2006

origami posted:

I missed the word "ice" the first time I read this

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

origami posted:

IIRC, it is detrimental to your training/muscle recovery if you use cold therapy immediately after training, be it ice bath or local cold compress. You should wait at least an hour after finishing your workout before using it. But don't take it from me, I'm just trying to recall what the good doctor said...which makes me wonder why aren't you guys subscribed to Dr. Rhonda Patrick on YouTube and her Podcast? I know some of you all listen to Rogan's podcast. Pretty much any questions you might have on your overall health, longevity, nutrition/diet and recovery as it pertains to exercise she covers and more, and goes into great detail and explains specific processes in the body for you nerds. She has a few really good episodes of her podcast and on youtube where she talks about cryotherapy, sleep, sauna use, and essential vitamin supplementation. Also she's hot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?FoundMyFitness

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/foundmyfitness/id818198322?mt=2

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APAdEQL_C9M

Found this free-fighting tournament video from Japan from the 90s, it's kinda fun to watch. I have no understanding of the rules, there's one pretty short round where it's basically combination of pancrase (no closed fist strikes) and judo, because apparently there's ippon of some sort awarded. Only three guys can both strike and grapple, basically everybody else is a kyokushin guy.

It's hour and half of low kicks, hip throws and armbars. Every other guy is injured.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

This is awesome!

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Omglosser posted:

IIRC, it is detrimental to your training/muscle recovery if you use cold therapy immediately after training, be it ice bath or local cold compress. You should wait at least an hour after finishing your workout before using it. But don't take it from me, I'm just trying to recall what the good doctor said...which makes me wonder why aren't you guys subscribed to Dr. Rhonda Patrick on YouTube and her Podcast? I know some of you all listen to Rogan's podcast. Pretty much any questions you might have on your overall health, longevity, nutrition/diet and recovery as it pertains to exercise she covers and more, and goes into great detail and explains specific processes in the body for you nerds. She has a few really good episodes of her podcast and on youtube where she talks about cryotherapy, sleep, sauna use, and essential vitamin supplementation. Also she's hot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?FoundMyFitness

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/foundmyfitness/id818198322?mt=2

Do you have a reference on the one hour after training point? Your first link has been removed.

edit
seems to be here around 15:52

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd1f5Zp5g7M

although I'm mostly interested in cold showers/ice baths and not actual cryotherapy

Grandmaster.flv fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 9, 2016

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

ManOfTheYear posted:

Can't speak to training a lot of MMA-specific stuff, but I can do 20+ hours a week of BJJ pretty consistently with a clean diet, a lunch nap every once in a while and a consistent 7+ hours of sleep. My training sessions are definitely not as tough as any professional fighters' but it's still some solid mat time.

Night shifts will definitely kill your ability to recover well, as will a less-than-solid diet. There's also a good amount of ramp-up time required to get to the point where doing back-to-back 4+ hour days won't kill you.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

origami posted:

We really need to resurrect the steroids thread in psp

Why not start one in the fitness section?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Steroid threads go in TCC.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

IT BEGINS posted:

I can do 20+ hours a week of BJJ pretty consistently

do you have a job - are you a professional bjj athlete?

There are a few guys that train like that at my gym but they're in their mid-20's and are chasing medals at major tournaments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

fatherdog posted:

Steroid threads go in TCC.

Ew

• Locked thread