Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

The Snoo posted:

I had supraventricular tachycardia as a teenager and I had to go to the ER several times to have my heart 'reset', for lack of a better word, with adenosine. It makes you flatline for a couple of seconds and it gave me tunnel vision and a weird, warm but empty/hollow sensation that started in my chest (obviously) and spread to my limbs.

Anyway don't get rhythm disorders, it sucked rear end and I'm glad the ablation procedure I had ended up fixing it. But having your heart stop beating is really weird and I don't recommend it 👌

Firefighter / paramedic here. At least you could go the adenosine route! We had a run yesterday for a guy with chest pain, ended up being SVT. Guy says they have to use the ultrasound machine to get an IV on him in the hospital. We tried 3 times with no luck, call medical control, and they advise is to cardiovert. For the people without medical training, cardio version is a slightly lower dose of electrical shock directly to the heart like what they give during CPR. We sedated him IM with versed, but didn't have time to let it fully kick in (his heart would have stopped if we waited too long). So I shocked him, while he was fully awake. The guy jumped two feet out of his chair screaming in pain, followed by him yelling "do not loving do that again!". Luckily for him it kicked back to a normal sinus rhythm and we didn't have to shock him a second time.

Also, no matter how many times I give adenosine, the "oh shiiiiiiiit" moment is there every single time when you push it and the heart rate goes from 245 to literal 0, and those 6-10 seconds waiting for the heart to kick back in is the scariest 6-10 seconds. Every time I think "oh poo poo this is the time the heart doesn't restart and I technically just killed a person". But it always does.

END OF AN ERROR has a new favorite as of 20:34 on Jun 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

i watched a doc just now called Who Took Johnny on iTunes, really interesting and I think people in this thread who follow crime stories would like it. it's about the first kid who showed up as a missing ad on milk cartons.

gets pretty heavy obviously, it involves child abduction, but I learned a lot about the case + the times around it

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Rondette posted:

Oh god this just reminded me of an incident at school, this boy was mercilessly bullying me, so one day, utterly hosed off with it, I went and kicked him in the knee.

What I didn't realise was he was a hemophiliac and I had dislocated his knee-cap. He was off school for quite some time. And his horrible little toady friend made sure I knew what I had done.

The one person I knew in school with hemophilia was a huge dick. He'd run his mouth off as much as he wanted because everyone knew if they hit him they could send him to the hospital (or he could run and tell the teacher that people were bullying on the kid with the medical condition). I'm sure having a congenital condition like that fucks you up socially, but so does never having experienced a good ol' fashioned rear end whipping.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Speaking of weird symptoms, I found out in recent years that in addition to my asthma, I have what is apparently just known as "twitchy throat", which means that sometimes when I start coughing, I can't stop. This leads to cough syncope - a drop in blood pressure (exacerbated, I'm sure, by the blood pressure medication I'm taking) that causes fainting.

From my perspective, I start coughing, can't stop, and I get tunnel vision that quickly transitions to vivid hallucinations accompanied by what sounds like sirens. Then - what feels like minutes or hours later - I wake up on the floor or slumped over in my chair, and feel totally normal.

From the outside, this is apparently terrifying: I start coughing, and then my pupils dilate and I just fall over or slump down and stop breathing for a few seconds, and then pop up and seem fine.

I've learned to pull over if I start coughing while I'm driving.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Beige posted:

This sounds terrifying. Did the doctors tell you that would happen beforehand? Like, did you go into the procedure knowing that your heart would stop beating while you were conscious?

Yes, and the doctor would hold my hand while it happened so that helped a lot. It's an awful feeling.

I still have palpitations (which afaik, after several tests, aren't a problem besides being distressing) that give a similar freaky sensation, but it's a split second and feels more like a hypnic jerk rather than my heart stopping.

My first adenosine/heart experience was in a dimly lit ambulance, so all of the ones that were in a bright hospital room with other people were a lot nicer, lol

None of the other methods (valsalva maneuver/vagal nerve stimulation stuff) would work for me to 'reset' the rhythm, so I always had to go to the ER for it.

Unnerving part of my story: my parents would take me to the ER themselves after the first time it happened, and they'd both smoke in the enclosed space of the car while I'm having a rhythm problem that can often be brought on by cigarettes, nice job

:gonk:

Adenosine is amazing for what it does, but also terrifying!

snoo has a new favorite as of 23:51 on Jun 4, 2016

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I found a copy of an ECG test from when I was dealing with SVT. yikes

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

The Snoo posted:

:eyepop: I had to take a course on EKGs as part of a CMA program and then worked as a CMA, part of the job being administering EKGs. We were taught to have a "neutral" reaction to anything we saw, print the graph and leave it to the doc to give the news, good or bad. Not sure how I would have dealt with seeing that. I probably would have assumed the machine was hosed up.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

The Snoo posted:

It doesn't say "abnormal" enough times on that chart. Seriously, what the poo poo.

Rondette posted:

Oh god this just reminded me of an incident at school, this boy was mercilessly bullying me, so one day, utterly hosed off with it, I went and kicked him in the knee.

What I didn't realise was he was a hemophiliac and I had dislocated his knee-cap. He was off school for quite some time. And his horrible little toady friend made sure I knew what I had done.

brb reposting this in the schadenfreude thread.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Holy poo poo, looking at a temperature vs. distance map, it's shocking how hot things got even 10-12 miles away.
http://www.columbian.com/mount-st-helensvictims/

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

A Spider Covets posted:

i watched a doc just now called Who Took Johnny on iTunes, really interesting and I think people in this thread who follow crime stories would like it. it's about the first kid who showed up as a missing ad on milk cartons.

gets pretty heavy obviously, it involves child abduction, but I learned a lot about the case + the times around it

This is about John Gosch, who's adjacent to a ton of poo poo that has come up in this thread, not least of all the satanic panic, that creepy photo of the tied-up kids found in a parking lot. Also the Franklin child abuse ring. What happened to the mom is super sad.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
The agonal breathing post reminded me about Tommy Cooper, a popular English comedian from the 1960s to 80s who had a stage persona as an incompetent magician. He died of a heart attack (complete with agonal breathing) mid-performance in front of a live TV audience and a theatre full of people who thought it was part of the act and carried on laughing as he collapsed. It's shocking how fast someone can go from 'apparently fine' to 'verge of death'.

(Video is obviously :nms: for a guy dying.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkWgBK03jlM

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

You're not dead when your heart stops. Like you're definitely on your way to being dead but your other organs will function as long as your bloodstream still has a bit of oxygen to offer. When you go into asystole, your spO2 is still high enough to allow some parts of your body to function for a very short time. It's only after you run out of the O2 that your whole body shuts down and really "dies". I think technically it's possible to retain consciousness for a short time after cardiac arrest though typically people are non-responsive before that point.
When I was having my c-section with my younger son, there was a point during the surgery where the heart rate monitor flatlined and I started wondering if my heart had stopped and if I was about to be dead. I couldn't feel anything below my chest because of the spinal, and I was pretty out of it in general, so it seemed logical at the time.

Then someone turned it off and I figured out that it was my son's heartbeat they were monitoring, and it must have just come off him during the delivery. They pulled him out and sewed me up and everything was fine. It was a really terrifying moment there, though.

pookel has a new favorite as of 03:44 on Jun 5, 2016

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

pookel posted:

When I was having my c-section with my younger son, there was a point during the surgery where the heart rate monitor flatlined and I started wondering if my heart had stopped and if I was about to be dead. I couldn't feel anything below my chest because of the spinal, and I was pretty out of it in general, so it seemed logical at the time.

Then someone turned it off and I figured out that it was my son's heartbeat they were monitoring, and it must have just come off him during the delivery. They pulled him out and sewed him up and everything was fine. It was a really terrifying moment there, though.

Christ, I can only imagine.

"HOLY poo poo I'M DYING no wait it's my baby's heartbeat phew HOLY poo poo MY SON IS DYING"

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I actually had my first SVT attack during gym class in high school; I had tunnel vision and felt really hosed up with that heart rhythm. I went to the nurse and she said 'uh hm you're having a panic attack' and sent me home? We tried to wait it out and I took a nap but 6 hours later it was still happening and my parents took me to urgent care, which led to the ambulance and adenosine and poo poo.

But, uh, I wonder if I have any lasting damage from that. It's pretty spooky! :)

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Oh, I used to have palpitations or some kind of arrhythmia as a teenager (I even got to wear that strappy chest monitor for a day while they were trying to figure out what it was), which was nowhere near as bad as what The Snoo went through (holy poo poo), although 'hollow-feeling' is a good descriptor that I could never come up with for how those felt. I mostly just struggled with "I don't know, it's like my heart just disappeared but then it came back but now it's in my throat oh god" when people asked me about it.

That went away eventually, but then I developed an anxiety disorder. So now I get to play "Are these merely the psychosomatic affects of an anxiety attack, or was my heart actually hosed up and they missed it and I'm about to die?" every so often. It's super fun.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Firefighter / paramedic here. At least you could go the adenosine route! We had a run yesterday for a guy with chest pain, ended up being SVT. Guy says they have to use the ultrasound machine to get an IV on him in the hospital. We tried 3 times with no luck, call medical control, and they advise is to cardiovert. For the people without medical training, cardio version is a slightly lower dose of electrical shock directly to the heart like what they give during CPR. We sedated him IM with versed, but didn't have time to let it fully kick in (his heart would have stopped if we waited too long). So I shocked him, while he was fully awake. The guy jumped two feet out of his chair screaming in pain, followed by him yelling "do not loving do that again!". Luckily for him it kicked back to a normal sinus rhythm and we didn't have to shock him a second time.

Also, no matter how many times I give adenosine, the "oh shiiiiiiiit" moment is there every single time when you push it and the heart rate goes from 245 to literal 0, and those 6-10 seconds waiting for the heart to kick back in is the scariest 6-10 seconds. Every time I think "oh poo poo this is the time the heart doesn't restart and I technically just killed a person". But it always does.

Once I had to hold a heavily inebriated man's arms away from his chest so we could cardiovert him, not once but 4 times. We would have tied him down but there wasn't a good way to do that on his busted rear end porch so I just held his arms out in a T pose and trusted that would not somehow be the path of least resistance. Also we did a lot of stupid poo poo like that in the early '00s because being a 21 year old paramedic makes you think you are invincible.

8th-snype has a new favorite as of 07:43 on Jun 5, 2016

zygnal
Dec 1, 2006
Never
Fun Shoe

Wedemeyer posted:

Edit: another hosed up thing is John Killian. His body was never recovered and apparently his parents were just devastated. No, really. "Gradually Ralph [Killian's father] became convinced that John was knocked unconscious by the explosion, lost his memory, and fell into a new life. Whenever he passed by a group of loggers, he carefully searched their faces to see if one of them might be John. Once he spotted a logger riding in a Weyerhauser company pickup who was a dead ringer for his son, and he spent his days trying to track down the truck. "I don't know if it was an illusion," he said." Spoilers for the book. Nothing gorey or horrible, honest. Well, maybe it is horrible. :smith:

There's an brief overview here:
http://tdn.com/news/opinion/stepankowsky-no-one-stood-taller-than-ralph-killian/article_51e1c594-6ccf-11df-b87b-001cc4c03286.html
from the father's funeral notice. I guess WA and Weyerhauser expected the volcano to erupt on only one side?

I still wouldn't consider any active volcano to have a safe zone <100 mils, but maybe that's just post-St Helens.
I even remember they were desperately trying to convince that old man named Harry Truman to leave, but he
wouldn't, so he died too.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

The Snoo posted:

I had supraventricular tachycardia as a teenager and I had to go to the ER several times to have my heart 'reset', for lack of a better word, with adenosine. It makes you flatline for a couple of seconds and it gave me tunnel vision and a weird, warm but empty/hollow sensation that started in my chest (obviously) and spread to my limbs.

Anyway don't get rhythm disorders, it sucked rear end and I'm glad the ablation procedure I had ended up fixing it. But having your heart stop beating is really weird and I don't recommend it 👌

I had the same thing, including being treated with adenosine and finally getting an ablation that fixed it. It was the weirdest most hollow feeling during that flatline.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Apraxin posted:

The agonal breathing post reminded me about Tommy Cooper, a popular English comedian from the 1960s to 80s who had a stage persona as an incompetent magician. He died of a heart attack (complete with agonal breathing) mid-performance in front of a live TV audience and a theatre full of people who thought it was part of the act and carried on laughing as he collapsed. It's shocking how fast someone can go from 'apparently fine' to 'verge of death'.

(Video is obviously :nms: for a guy dying.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkWgBK03jlM

I admit it, I watched the video. And I felt oddly sympathetic the whole time. Here is this man, he's given his life to entertaining. And now he's giving his life for entertaining. He's going to gasp out his final moments during a live show, and somehow, that just feels wrong. Logically it shouldn't, but I still can't help but be struck by how inappropriate death is. There's something sacrosanct about the show: it must go on. I can't help but be utterly terrified of how alone it must feel to kick and squirm for air while hundreds of people laugh at your torment. It is the kind of ghastly fate reserved for executions from our darker ages, not kind-hearted performers. For Christ's sake he even looks like an ideal grandfather.

So, I'm watching this poor bastard's final seconds in utter suspense. I want to know how this could happen. I want to know why the drat clown died. There's nothing ominous in the opening. He tells a joke, gets a bunch of laughs, and then pauses a second to long. I figure he's going to bite it there. Nope. Then, there's a little gunpowder effect. He freezes, his eyes go wide as saucers, and he turns, as if he hears someone calling his name. I think, "the poor old soul just startled himself to death, which is utterly tragic". Nope. He plows right on in to the next joke.

Finally, his attractive, blonde assistant comes out, changes his wardrobe, and bends over in front of him. Bam. He kicks it. Right there, right smack dab in the microscopic center of comedic timing. That wizard motherfucker couldn't have died funnier if he had planned it. I feel terrible. I do. But that video was a David Lynch-ian mindfuck, right down to the laughing audience and the "Live From Her Majesty's" sign-off. That video is a hoot.

:rip:

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Chichevache posted:

I admit it, I watched the video. And I felt oddly sympathetic the whole time. Here is this man, he's given his life to entertaining. And now he's giving his life for entertaining. He's going to gasp out his final moments during a live show, and somehow, that just feels wrong. Logically it shouldn't, but I still can't help but be struck by how inappropriate death is. There's something sacrosanct about the show: it must go on. I can't help but be utterly terrified of how alone it must feel to kick and squirm for air while hundreds of people laugh at your torment. It is the kind of ghastly fate reserved for executions from our darker ages, not kind-hearted performers. For Christ's sake he even looks like an ideal grandfather.

So, I'm watching this poor bastard's final seconds in utter suspense. I want to know how this could happen. I want to know why the drat clown died. There's nothing ominous in the opening. He tells a joke, gets a bunch of laughs, and then pauses a second to long. I figure he's going to bite it there. Nope. Then, there's a little gunpowder effect. He freezes, his eyes go wide as saucers, and he turns, as if he hears someone calling his name. I think, "the poor old soul just startled himself to death, which is utterly tragic". Nope. He plows right on in to the next joke.

Finally, his attractive, blonde assistant comes out, changes his wardrobe, and bends over in front of him. Bam. He kicks it. Right there, right smack dab in the microscopic center of comedic timing. That wizard motherfucker couldn't have died funnier if he had planned it. I feel terrible. I do. But that video was a David Lynch-ian mindfuck, right down to the laughing audience and the "Live From Her Majesty's" sign-off. That video is a hoot.

The timing from when his cloak was put on to when he fell down and died made it look exactly like a part of the act. I'm not surprised at all that the audience was still laughing, I'd be right there with them doing the same.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Chichevache posted:

You should have tried watching it live on TV aged nine, like I did. Things going wrong was Tommy Cooper's schtick - he was a highly skilled stage magician and a member of the Magic Circle, but he'd found that people were more entertained when his tricks failed so he set them up that way for the laughs. It wasn't even a matter of people thinking his collapse was funny or well timed. Everyone watching genuinely believed it was part of the act. And that's the worst part: it was known before the show that Cooper wasn't in good health, they'd even jerry rigged a dressing room in the wings for him because he was having trouble with stairs. If he hadn't had his heart attack at such a perfectly timed moment, people might have reacted fast enough to save him.

If you really want to see something :nms: though, watch Howard Keel's performance from the same evening. He was singing in front of the curtain while they tried to revive Cooper behind it.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

How hosed up were you that the kid who could die from a papercut viewed you as prey?

Haha, I was a tall dorky frizzy haired girl who everyone assumed to be a lesbian (because I'm...tall?) - not necessarily hosed up but definitely different enough to be a target.

RNG posted:

The one person I knew in school with hemophilia was a huge dick. He'd run his mouth off as much as he wanted because everyone knew if they hit him they could send him to the hospital (or he could run and tell the teacher that people were bullying on the kid with the medical condition). I'm sure having a congenital condition like that fucks you up socially, but so does never having experienced a good ol' fashioned rear end whipping.

But also, totally this. The guy was from a pretty bad family and he was generally a really angry kid.

To be fair once a couple of years had passed we did learn to tolerate each other, he even let me touch his VAD.

(That's an implant where they can inject themselves, it's easier than finding veins)

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Rondette posted:

Haha, I was a tall dorky frizzy haired girl who everyone assumed to be a lesbian (because I'm...tall?) - not necessarily hosed up but definitely different enough to be a target.

Well, he learned his lesson at least.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Did you two get married? I'm sure he didn't let just any girl touch his VAD.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

Did you two get married? I'm sure he didn't let just any girl touch his VAD.

No but to make it a good stdh story let's say that we did.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm so happy for you guys!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Rondette posted:

Is it unnerving that he could pass his hemophilia on to children, or is it unnerving that we all just lightweight endorsed eugenics?

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Parasol Prophet posted:

Oh, I used to have palpitations or some kind of arrhythmia as a teenager (I even got to wear that strappy chest monitor for a day while they were trying to figure out what it was), which was nowhere near as bad as what The Snoo went through (holy poo poo), although 'hollow-feeling' is a good descriptor that I could never come up with for how those felt. I mostly just struggled with "I don't know, it's like my heart just disappeared but then it came back but now it's in my throat oh god" when people asked me about it.

That went away eventually, but then I developed an anxiety disorder. So now I get to play "Are these merely the psychosomatic affects of an anxiety attack, or was my heart actually hosed up and they missed it and I'm about to die?" every so often. It's super fun.

Have you ever been told you might have Wolff Parkinson White? I have it and my first attack could be described exactly the same way. It's not really dangerous per say and the worst thing I get is occasionally passing out if I stand up too fast or get too upset about something. Mostly it's just fun to see reactions from nurses when I forget to tell them while I'm hooked to a monitor.

Goddamn Particle
Oct 10, 2013

Fan of Britches
This week in nature trying to kill us:

Perigean Spring Tide

Wikipedia posted:

A perigean spring tide is a tide that occurs three or four times a year when the Moon's perigee (its closest point to Earth during its 28-day elliptical orbit) coincides with a spring tide (when the Earth, Sun and Moon are nearly aligned every two weeks)

There was one this weekend in Sydney. The wiki page says they're normally about 20% higher than a normal high tide, but that's just the average water level it's talking about.
This weekend there was a massive storm system that hit nearly the entire east coast of Australia, and the worst of it hit Sydney at the same time as the tide coming in. The winds from the storm generated waves far higher than normal - one was detected reaching 12m (40 ft) in height - and that's above the unusually high sea level caused by the tide. There are a lot of photos of the storm online but not many before and after comparisons that show the extent of the damage. These photos were taken by a fixed camera at Colloroy Beach, Sydney, 24 hours apart:

Note the swimming pool on the far left in both images.

The images are from http://ci.wrl.unsw.edu.au/current-projects/narrabeen-collaroy-beach/

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Rondette posted:

And that boy... was Tsarevich Alexei Nikolaevich!

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Stairs posted:

Have you ever been told you might have Wolff Parkinson White? I have it and my first attack could be described exactly the same way. It's not really dangerous per say and the worst thing I get is occasionally passing out if I stand up too fast or get too upset about something. Mostly it's just fun to see reactions from nurses when I forget to tell them while I'm hooked to a monitor.

Nurses don't get a ton of cardiology training and EKG readings, at least not as much as paramedics do. Even with how much medics get, when you see an EKG with WPW you get the "wait. What?" Feeling for a minute.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Apraxin posted:

The exact same thing happened to comedian/actor Dick Shawn.

If you've seen The Producers, you've seen Dick Shawn - he was the weirdo cast to play Hitler (poorly). You might also have seen him in Its A Mad Mad Mad Mad World.

Shawn was a very, very weird alt comedian, so people were mistaken when this happened:

quote:

On April 17, 1987, during a performance at University of California, San Diego's Mandeville Hall—including his portrayal of a politician reciting such campaign clichés as "If elected, I will not lay down on the job"—Shawn suffered a fatal heart attack and collapsed face-down on the stage. The audience initially assumed that it was part of his act; but after he had remained motionless on the stage for several minutes, a stage hand examined him and asked if a physician was present.

After CPR had been initiated, the audience was asked to leave the auditorium, but most remained, still assuming that it was all part of Shawn's act. Many began leaving—still unsure of what they had witnessed—only after paramedics arrived.[3] A notice in the following day's San Diego Union newspaper clarified that Shawn had indeed died during the performance.[4] Dick Shawn was 63. He is interred at Hillside Memorial Park Cemetery, a Jewish cemetery, in Culver City, California.

The newspaper had to clarify that he actually died.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Stairs posted:

Huh, I've never heard of that but looking it up sounds similar. (I'm still loathe to make assumptions, of course, because it seems to be pretty rare and those symptoms can be a bunch of stuff.) The only phrase I actually remember anyone using was 'sinus arrhythmia', but Google has never turned up anything really helpful on that. I seem to think there was something about my breathing affecting my heart rate a little more than it should.

But the symptoms sound right, and apparently it can just disappear over time. Weird.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Parasol Prophet posted:

Huh, I've never heard of that but looking it up sounds similar. (I'm still loathe to make assumptions, of course, because it seems to be pretty rare and those symptoms can be a bunch of stuff.) The only phrase I actually remember anyone using was 'sinus arrhythmia', but Google has never turned up anything really helpful on that. I seem to think there was something about my breathing affecting my heart rate a little more than it should.

But the symptoms sound right, and apparently it can just disappear over time. Weird.

Sinus arrhythmia just means when you take a breath in, your heart beats faster. It's very common in younger people and not dangerous. I have it as well.

END OF AN ERROR has a new favorite as of 19:35 on Jun 6, 2016

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Goddamn Particle posted:

This week in nature trying to kill us:

Perigean Spring Tide

There was one this weekend in Sydney. The wiki page says they're normally about 20% higher than a normal high tide, but that's just the average water level it's talking about.
This weekend there was a massive storm system that hit nearly the entire east coast of Australia, and the worst of it hit Sydney at the same time as the tide coming in. The winds from the storm generated waves far higher than normal - one was detected reaching 12m (40 ft) in height - and that's above the unusually high sea level caused by the tide. There are a lot of photos of the storm online but not many before and after comparisons that show the extent of the damage. These photos were taken by a fixed camera at Colloroy Beach, Sydney, 24 hours apart:

Note the swimming pool on the far left in both images.

The images are from http://ci.wrl.unsw.edu.au/current-projects/narrabeen-collaroy-beach/

With the lack of Shark Wizards, there's nothing to hold the Unholy Ocean at bay.

Goddamn this is awesome and terrifying! That loving swimming pool is just tipped over like it's nothing!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
On the "died onstage" track, opera singer Leonard Warren died onstage at the Met. Which then gave rise to this interesting piece about how the event, and its reportage, were misremembered years later.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

Rondette posted:

This reminds me of that recent incident where two girls got in a fight at school, and one ended up accidentally killing the other because she had an undiagnosed heart condition.

Although this girl seems a bit more culpable since she was apparently wailing on the other girl's head and torso.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

RNG posted:

My dad was the one with hemophilia in school, back before recombinant factor 8 was developed et al, so his mom had a simple rule. "If he deserved to get his hide tanned for being an unruly little poo poo, call me first so I can draw a bath and fill it with ice so he doesn't bruise." Dad ended up being a pretty drat good student, but spent an average of 3 weeks in the hospital for every one week out and about.

Edit: Not because he was bullying people, but because he was a rambunctionus little twerp, and ended up getting hurt or overexterting himself.

Sel Nar has a new favorite as of 21:59 on Jun 6, 2016

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
A trial just ended and some guy named Brock Turners was found guilty of sexual assault and a whole bunch of other things. He got a somewhat lenient sentence, though he will be put in the sexual offender registry so there is that. Anyway, his victim has released a statement. It is fairly long but worth the read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Madkal posted:

A trial just ended and some guy named Brock Turners was found guilty of sexual assault and a whole bunch of other things. He got a somewhat lenient sentence, though he will be put in the sexual offender registry so there is that. Anyway, his victim has released a statement. It is fairly long but worth the read.

We are monsters.