Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'

quiggy posted:

If there is a god, dual caestus.

The easiest and stun-lockingest weapon in the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kuvo posted:

i had something more idiotic planned

no vanquisher's seal bare fists only???

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Glenn_Beckett posted:

yeah well i bet your favorite weapon sucks!!

e: AND your armor's ugly!!

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Glenn_Beckett posted:

Yeah it does an amazing job of stun-locking human sized enemies. Good thing you never run into more than one at a time, or bigger enemies that won't stun-lock with a reasonable stamina-bar-worth of punches.

Y'all talking about the short range on the mace are making me giggle. I could have my face mushed into the shoulder of some of the more swole enemies, and not be able to punch them. If I want to hit those hogs in Majula, I might as well take my mitts off and throw them.

EDIT vvvvvvvvvv: Agreed. I had way too much fun with them

Captain Lavender fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jun 5, 2016

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Captain Lavender posted:

Yeah it does an amazing job of stun-locking human sized enemies. Good thing you never run into more than one at a time, or bigger enemies that won't stun-lock with a reasonable stamina-bar-worth of punches.

Y'all talking about the short range on the mace are making me giggle. I could have my face mushed into the shoulder of some of the more swole enemies, and not be able to punch them. If I want to hit those hogs in Majula, I might as well take my mitts off and throw them.

Yeah, I kinda had to resign myself to just not hitting the crystal lizards with the caestuses

Still, though, for any problems you have with Caestus, the IMO Best Weapon In The Game makes up for it.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
try horse but hole

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Geop, this LP is going great and you should be proud of all the progress you've made so far.

Now, about the game, it sure would've been nice if they'd taken out that whole lighting thing fully so that floor with the trapped chest wasn't so dark.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

It wasn't that dark in the base game, I think. They deliberately went back and threw in some torch fodder in the remix.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
It looks darker on video.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

scamtank posted:

It wasn't that dark in the base game, I think. They deliberately went back and threw in some torch fodder in the remix.

I think the patch that came out along with Scholar fixed the lighting to be what the devs originally intended -- at least on the PC version. There's dynamic lighting from the torches now.

E: It's the PS4/Bone/DX11 version that has better graphics and lighting, not the patch.

Velocity Raptor fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jun 5, 2016

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

RareAcumen posted:

Geop, this LP is going great and you should be proud of all the progress you've made so far.

Now, about the game, it sure would've been nice if they'd taken out that whole lighting thing fully so that floor with the trapped chest wasn't so dark.
You did notice the unlit brazier near the face on the wall, right? Nothing stopping you from going back to the bonfire, lighting a torch (without resting so you don't respawn all the enemies) and coming back to light the room up.

But yes, Geop is doing a hell of a lot better than I did at this stage in the game. I did kneecap myself, though, by refusing to use an effigy until much later on than where we are now and bumbling around at 50% HP for ages.

[edit]Yeah, we've seen that room with the trapped chest a few times, although it was never lit up.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 5, 2016

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Crazy Achmed posted:

You did notice the unlit brazier near the face on the wall, right? Nothing stopping you from going back to the bonfire, lighting a torch (without resting so you don't respawn all the enemies) and coming back to light the room up.

Did they do that in the LP already and I just didn't notice?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Crazy Achmed posted:

But yes, Geop is doing a hell of a lot better than I did at this stage in the game. I did kneecap myself, though, by refusing to use an effigy until much later on than where we are now and bumbling around at 50% HP for ages.

I refused to walk around all rotten-like, 'cause I liked punching people in the bandit's set and that's far too much rotten skin showing for my tastes.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RareAcumen posted:

Did they do that in the LP already and I just didn't notice?

They've already talked about torches.

Elos
Jan 8, 2009

Wow, I'd forgotten how bad the texture work is in this game sometimes. That vomit-looking stuff in the pit near the salamander tunnel is really terrible and some of the scenery looks like it's from a PS2 game.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

apostateCourier posted:

I refused to walk around all rotten-like, 'cause I liked punching people in the bandit's set and that's far too much rotten skin showing for my tastes.

I modded my game so you don't look like a rotted corpse when you're hollow, but rather an empty shell of a human being with overly pale skin and lifeless eyes. I like it a lot better that way.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
I just constantly used the small soapstone. Coop forever.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

They've already talked about torches.

Did they light a room up using a brazier before and I just didn't notice?

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
kuvo with the dmx jokes :allears:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Back at the start, Geop went around lighting up some braziers in Things Betwixt, if I recall correctly.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Geop lit a sconce way back in the tutorial section.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

Back at the start, Geop went around lighting up some braziers in Things Betwixt, if I recall correctly.

Raygereio posted:

Geop lit a sconce way back in the tutorial section.

Huh, guess it totally slipped my mind.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

tbqh i wouldn't be displeased if that feather cap ended up being the basic geop.hat for this playthrough

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
i wore it for most of my sotfs playthrough. it's very good

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
the falconer set is a pretty decent light armor set when upgraded

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

For my Fashion Souls money, the Falconer chest actually looks really good with the rest of the Elite Knight set. It's a nice alternative silhouette and color scheme to match the much-loved helmet.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

KieranWalker posted:

I modded my game so you don't look like a rotted corpse when you're hollow, but rather an empty shell of a human being with overly pale skin and lifeless eyes. I like it a lot better that way.
It would be nice if hollowing didn't go straight from "looking good" to "you're a loving corpse now"

I mean, I know more levels of hollowing make you look even more gnarly, but a level or two of hollowing making you look like a human who's beat the hell up progressing to looking like a rotted corpse when you've lost half your health would be neat

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

JT Jag posted:

It would be nice if hollowing didn't go straight from "looking good" to "you're a loving corpse now"

I mean, I know more levels of hollowing make you look even more gnarly, but a level or two of hollowing making you look like a human who's beat the hell up progressing to looking like a rotted corpse when you've lost half your health would be neat

There is at least one reason that it's beneficial to be able to immediately tell from a distance whether someone is hollow (or to obfuscate that): Soul Appease.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

JT Jag posted:

All they would need to do is just not have you turn green with glowing white eyes after dying once. Doesn't matter what skin tone your character had you turn the same shade green. Who loving turns green after dying anyway?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Fabulousvillain posted:

All they would need to do is just not have you turn green with glowing white eyes after dying once. Doesn't matter what skin tone your character had you turn the same shade green. Who loving turns green after dying anyway?

The flow of humidity in LordranDrangleic is convoluted, skin decompositions twist and turn.

Scribe13
Jan 30, 2014

Grimey Drawer
In regards to the respawn of enemies in DS2, I don't really care for it. It may sound odd, but I tend to like the constant fighting is DS1 and DeS. Continually fighting the same enemies eventually gave me a sense of mastery over that enemy type, so it wouldn't be a huge deal if I had to run a section on my way back to the boss. In a later section of the game, there's an enemy type that I always had a difficult time beating, so once it went away I never felt that I got a good enough understanding on how to deal with it.

And I tend to enjoy grinding on the whole. So there's that.

Edit: Also, one of the later sets that Maughlin sells is my favorite set in this game.

Scribe13 fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 6, 2016

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Scribe13 posted:

Edit: Also, one of the later sets that Maughlin sells is my favorite set in this game.

If he dropped enough dosh to pick up the elite knight set, Maughlin's next set of stuff should be unlocked already. Though I'm not sure if this counts as spoilers or not?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I want DS2 style respawning on stupid bonfire-boss runs, regular spawning on other sections. Or just put bonfires near spots where people are going to definitely die a lot From! :argh:

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
What the gently caress the firebomb guy on the wall doesn't blow the wall open for you anymore, even if the bomb lands square on the barrel. That fucker is now officially the worst.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Steak Eater posted:

What the gently caress the firebomb guy on the wall doesn't blow the wall open for you anymore, even if the bomb lands square on the barrel. That fucker is now officially the worst.

Pretty sure that's how I accidentally discovered that shortcut on my (second) playthrough. Then again it was a while since I did that part of it so I could be wrong, but I don't believe I had any fire weapons in my inventory either.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Steak Eater posted:

He can totally do it, but only if he hits one of the black barrels perfectly squarely with a firebomb. The brown barrels aren't explosive.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

The despawning is a good idea in theory, in the sense of "you get a free pass back to the spot you keep dying at because you've proven you can handle everything in between", but falls short in practice partially because one, you're probably going to get past whatever it is long before the despawn threshold hits (or encounter another roadblock to compound the first), two, causing intentional despawns can bloat your Soul Memory excessively, and three, sometimes it's nice to have reliable respawns of guys that can drop gear you want. The third point makes the second particularly painful because in other Souls games, it's nice to get a healthy chunk of souls in exchange for items taking forever to drop.

Makes you long for the days of running laps around the Undead Parish. I might not have my Balder Shield yet but at least I'm overflowing with levels/upgrade mats. :v:

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Aaarrrggh as soon as he went to the armorer i was quietly dreading that he would find the falconers helm. Hate the look of that drat thing. But alas, now Goonther is dandy with a feather in his cap.

Also, Geop you have GOT to stop holding your shield up 24/7. The main reason I keep seeing you get into trouble is because you run out of stamina and you keep running out of stamina because you won't put your guard down and let it regen at full speed. If the enemies aren't swinging at you or your out of reach there's no need to keep your guard up.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Aaarrrggh as soon as he went to the armorer i was quietly dreading that he would find the falconers helm. Hate the look of that drat thing. But alas, now Goonther is dandy with a feather in his cap.

Yankee Goonther went to town
Full of fear and loathing
Bought a feather in a cap
Kuvo said 'try jumping'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

IronSaber posted:

Yankee Goonther went to town
Full of fear and loathing