Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Ben must be nursing a real bad case of whiplash right about now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Ben Stein, speechwriter for Nixon, takes the milquetoast GOPe position? I'm shocked.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

idiotsavant posted:

The conversation nearly always plays out like this:
"Hey dude, that's kind of hosed up and racist to say"
"WHAT DO YOU MEAN I'M RACIST, YOU'RE JUST BEING OVER-SENSITIVE AND READING INTO THINGS THAT AREN'T EVEN THERE"
"Dude gently caress you, you're being racist"
"gently caress ME??? OH, JUST BECAUSE I"M NOT BLAAAAAAAAACK I CAN'T EVEN HAVE AN OPINION?!"

And then it devolves into more gaslighting and piling on and white-as-gently caress unacknowleged, unexamined privilege. I say this as a white male. Some times it's someone raising a whackadoodle point of outrage. MOST of the time the person actually has a point, and if you shut up and read what they say and try to re-examine and question your own views, you'll probably get a better idea of their point of view.

For example - using "ghetto" in a derogatory way. If you unpack it even a tiny bit, there are some hosed up racial aspects there. Not particularly hard to see! Yet plenty of people will howl like babies when called out on it. "POC raises an issue relating to lived experience and gets shut down hard" is not an uncommon thing in political threads. Anyways that's too many words and I'm not defending anyone specifically or anything. It's just that it's aggravating to see it happen.

But, what else can someone be expected to do? Racism is The Worst, so if you get accused of it you're pressured to either say a) "No, I'm not one of them" or b) "Yes, I am a terrible piece of human garbage" and most people aren't going to pick B.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RovF1zsDoeM

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Geoff Peterson posted:

Is everyone who says "supporting rape and death threats is a bad look" or "don't minimize the harassment campaign your supporters have undertaken or try to justify it with provably false victim blaming" a shill for the monied elite? Or are they just puppets who don't know they're doing their bidding? Can you think of any economic justice people who haven't been tarred by this broad brush? Or is the untainted economic justice advocate (EJW?) a myth, like the losing progressive in the midterm?

Concern trolling is where people repeatedly bring up the same (often legitimate!) concerns to shut down discussion on a particular issue.

It is valid to be concerned about trans-hating feminists. But if every discussion of feminism gets turned into a discussion of TERFs, that is concern trolling. Concern trolling is often inadvertent and done by well-meaning people, but the effects are the same whether you are legitimately concerned or whether you are trying to shut down the conversation.

In this case, for months there has been no discussion of Bernie Sanders' policies that hasn't been derailed into "are Bernie supporters violent/racist/sexist?" Usually by the same small group of posters.

So no, being concerned about these things doesn't make you a shill. Just like being concerned about TERFs doesn't make you a shill for the patriarchy.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

is there a smilie that's the ironicat with more ironicats coming out of it?

No, but there's this:

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Geoff Peterson posted:

But I was raised that petty bullshit shall be met with petty bullshit, and I'll be damned if I dishonor my family by letting that slide.

I bet you thought this sounded really cool and strong when you posted it

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

Business Gorillas posted:

I bet you thought this sounded really cool and strong when you posted it

As totally a sick a burn this reply is, I would certainly be interested in hearing your response to his counter-examples.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Just a few more days (weeks) and we can all put aside the petty posturing and unite to Arzy together as we all collectively remember that the next president will set the high court for the next two decades.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
So now there's a "tell all" book coming out about the Clinton White House (again, 16 years later) by a Secret Service agent who says his detail was being posted outside the Oval Office.

Oh yeah it's all about how "sickening" the Clintons are. And how much ALL of the Secret Service detested guarding Hillary.

So get ready for the right wing-o-sphere to be full of stuff from that book for about a month until nothing comes of it. As you could expect the reporting on it reads like someone took a Nixon biography and ctrl+f, replaced Nixon with Clinton throughout it.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Crain posted:

Oh yeah it's all about how "sickening" the Clintons are. And how much ALL of the Secret Service detested guarding Hillary.

She probably wouldn't let them bang hookers on duty.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Crain posted:

So now there's a "tell all" book coming out about the Clinton White House (again, 16 years later) by a Secret Service agent who says his detail was being posted outside the Oval Office.

So get ready for the right wing-o-sphere to be full of stuff from that book for about a month until nothing comes of it. As you could expect the reporting on it reads like someone took a Nixon biography and ctrl+f, replaced Nixon with Clinton throughout it.

The fact that a Secret Service agent is writing a tell-all book about a president/presidents sound hosed up. Isn't confidentiality supposed to be a given with these guys?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
The Economist has a good article this week about the growing dangers of NK and the insane challenges of addressing them in the current political environment (China has strong incentives to not push hard on Pyongyang because they fear the risk of a collapse).

On phone now, but I'll try to elaborate later

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Barbe Rouge posted:

The fact that a Secret Service agent is writing a tell-all book about a president/presidents sound hosed up. Isn't confidentiality supposed to be a given with these guys?

The arguments bouncing around from my kinfolk is that the Clinton's were just so corrupt/assholeish to the SS that people are coming out of the woodwork to tell stories about them. You know, after a decade and a half has passed.

Stuff like Hillary shouting at the agents, not letting them look at her, etc.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I mean that depends. If they saw someone the american people really should know its another story. For example, Wouldn't you want them to shout from the rooftops if they (and they alone) saw them passing important information to the chinese, for instance?

Also, 16 years.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Crain posted:

Pretty sure that dude already wrote one book along those lines. Is it actually a new one?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I wish I had something, anything, I could use to get into the right-wing grifting business.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Kalman posted:

Pretty sure that dude already wrote one book along those lines. Is it actually a new one?

Dunno, this "new" one is by a guy named Gary J Byrne.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Antti posted:

I wish I had something, anything, I could use to get into the right-wing grifting business.

All it really takes is lying your rear end off and doing a bit of groundwork, just look at James O'Keefe.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

All it really takes is lying your rear end off and doing a bit of groundwork, just look at James O'Keefe.

In that case the thing I am missing is a complete lack of scruples.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Antti posted:

In that case the thing I am missing is a complete lack of scruples.

Also that dude has to have strong connections somewhere up the line. Considering the vastly illegal stuff he's done and having faced no consequences.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
lol Bob Corker is on This Week claiming that Trump's foreign policy will bring a level of maturity to Washington that Clinton cannot match.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Sir Tonk posted:

lol Bob Corker is on This Week claiming that Trump's foreign policy will bring a level of maturity to Washington that Clinton cannot match.

True, in a way.

But I guess that's the joke...

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

idiotsavant posted:

The conversation nearly always plays out like this:

Chantilly Say posted:

But, what else can someone be expected to do? Racism is The Worst, so if you get accused of it you're pressured to either say a) "No, I'm not one of them" or b) "Yes, I am a terrible piece of human garbage" and most people aren't going to pick B.
Yeah, it's a little crazy to get upset that people vigorously defend themselves from accusations of racism when we have people ITT saying that they don't have to respond to any of MattD1zzl3's arguments, because he said something construed as racist last year.

When someone accuses the person they're arguing with of racism, it's never "hey, you make a good point, but I think the language you used indicates certain unexamined biases, something we all have, and which it might be worth reflecting on in the future" it is 99.9% of the time an attempt to shut down the other party with, "you're racist and everything you say should be ignored or treated with uncharitable suspicion."

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I mean that depends. If they saw someone the american people really should know its another story. For example, Wouldn't you want them to shout from the rooftops if they (and they alone) saw them passing important information to the chinese, for instance?
Every President is going to have to, at some point, do something they believe to be in the national interest that would be incredibly unpopular if subjected to public scrutiny. Over all, I think that there are enough checks and balances in the system that we don't need the Secret Service to be leaking what they consider Presidential misbehavior, like a particularly catty Praetorian Guard. The only situation that could change my mind would be some sort of existential threat to the United States combined with the President violating the Constitution, like ordering the Army to disband Congress, but in those situations, there aren't any rules.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Dead Reckoning posted:

Yeah, it's a little crazy to get upset that people vigorously defend themselves from accusations of racism when we have people ITT saying that they don't have to respond to any of MattD1zzl3's arguments, because he said something construed as racist yesterday.

Fixed that for you.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dead Reckoning posted:

Yeah, it's a little crazy to get upset that people vigorously defend themselves from accusations of racism when we have people ITT saying that they don't have to respond to any of MattD1zzl3's arguments, because he said something construed as racist last year.

When someone accuses the person they're arguing with of racism, it's never "hey, you make a good point, but I think the language you used indicates certain unexamined biases, something we all have, and which it might be worth reflecting on in the future" it is 99.9% of the time an attempt to shut down the other party with, "you're racist and everything you say should be ignored or treated with uncharitable suspicion'.

You... you have read Matt's post history in the past few threads, right? If you're going out to bat for someone who you think has been unfairly shut out of the conversation for a single possibly-racist statement, you might want to pick someone other than the proud, open racist.

His comment on the Tamir Rice trial wasn't some one-off thing, it was emblematic of everything he's posted about race on SA.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
You're talking to Dead Reckoning, take a wild loving guess why he's defending the racist.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

botany posted:

You're talking to Dead Reckoning, take a wild loving guess why he's defending the racist.

Pretty much. Dead Reckoning holding some absolutely atrocious values is far from shocking.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Darth Walrus posted:

You... you have read Matt's post history in the past few threads, right? If you're going out to bat for someone who you think has been unfairly shut out of the conversation for a single possibly-racist statement, you might want to pick someone other than the proud, open racist.

I think you'll find people who deny their racism when accused are less helpful to society than people who admit it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I think you'll find people who deny their racism when accused are less helpful to society than people who admit it.

No, that just means your a freaking racist piece of poo poo.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
And there's the thing--if I go to MDizz and say "hey that was racist," obviously he's not enough of an rear end in a top hat to understand, say yes, and apologize, so nothing gets resolved.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Okay, this isn't helpful. Ignore the people who say total garbage, try to talk with well meaning people who say racist things. I've seen people change their tune in this forum over the past couple months, it can happen.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The general good approach there is "hey man, this isn't about you, but what you just said can sound kinda racist from this perspective". But if they're dark enlightened or alt right that won't work.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Chantilly Say posted:

I mean, that's what the whole thing about the white liberal being the enemy boils down to. Racism is Real Bad. I'm an enlightened liberal guy who's cool with the gays and stuff; I'm not bad like those racist conservatives. So there's no way I can be bad and racist despite being raised and nurtured in our systemically racist society and you're just being hysterical and playing the color card and white people have problems, too blah blah blah.

So yeah, you basically have to pick B and deal with it.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

idiotsavant posted:

So yeah, you basically have to pick B and deal with it.

CommieGIR posted:

No, that just means your a freaking racist piece of poo poo.

Indeed, sir. i'm not very good at fitting in to your society. Luckily i've got a whole society of my own where i'm happy and doing great.

quote:

Balkanize

verb bal·kan·ize \ˈbȯl-kə-ˌnīz\

Definition of balkanize

transitive verb
: to break up (as a region or group) into smaller and often hostile units

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Chantilly Say posted:

Realize their mistakes and resolve to do better next time. I can acknowledge change is hard, but I don't think it's too much to ask of people considering the alternative.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

there wolf posted:

Realize their mistakes and resolve to do better next time. I can acknowledge change is hard, but I don't think it's too much to ask of people considering the alternative.

Most people just aren't enough of an rear end in a top hat do do that, unfortunately. It takes a very high degree of conceit to immediately say "yes, what I said was bad and I understand why, and I'm going to keep it in mind in the future."

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Jimbozig posted:

Concern trolling is where people repeatedly bring up the same (often legitimate!) concerns to shut down discussion on a particular issue.

It is valid to be concerned about trans-hating feminists. But if every discussion of feminism gets turned into a discussion of TERFs, that is concern trolling. Concern trolling is often inadvertent and done by well-meaning people, but the effects are the same whether you are legitimately concerned or whether you are trying to shut down the conversation.

In this case, for months there has been no discussion of Bernie Sanders' policies that hasn't been derailed into "are Bernie supporters violent/racist/sexist?" Usually by the same small group of posters.

So no, being concerned about these things doesn't make you a shill. Just like being concerned about TERFs doesn't make you a shill for the patriarchy.

Doesn't being a priest ordained in the Orthodox Church make you a shill for the Patriarchy?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Indeed, sir. i'm not very good at fitting in to your society. Luckily i've got a whole society of my own where i'm happy and doing great.

I'm glad the KKK is an uplifting environment for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The general good approach there is "hey man, this isn't about you, but what you just said can sound kinda racist from this perspective". But if they're dark enlightened or alt right that won't work.

It's pretty lame that people have to put out the softest of the soft pedals to tell their purported allies that they're saying messed up poo poo without having said allies blow the gently caress up about it.

• Locked thread