Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

I'll have to go through my mod list, but one of my mods definitely adds two short guard lookout towers that provide 5 or 6 defense. Will check when I get back from work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Importing new assets into the game is a gigantic pain in the rear end because there are not first-party import tools, it's all community developed, volunteer poo poo. Not to put any of it down, the work the Nifskope guys have does is crazy, but it's a lot of work to do any little thing. This is the process I had to go through to get that helmet I'm talking about into the game:

- Create the model in Maya. UV and texture in maya, too.
- Export as OBJ
- Import reference mesh (in this case, the Metal Helmet nif) into Max with default settings using niftools, complete with bones
- Using Max, set up the mesh's BS SubIndex Modifier, and skin the helmet to the two bones I imported with the metal helmet (HEAD and Head_Skin)
- Export as NIF with default settings.
- Open outfit studio, import the Metal Helmet nif and my custom helmet nif and position the custom mesh around to match.
- Export the custom helmet mesh as a nif.
- Back to outfit studio, start a new project and load the aforementioned metal helmet in as a reference
- Import the custom helmet mesh, which is now a nif
- copy weights, making sure there's no area of the mesh that isn't weighted to a bone
- export as nif
- Over in Nifskope, I open the file up and go through the process of moving the metal helmet's BSLightingShaderProperties over
- Make sure the bounding sphere is over the entire mesh
- Save file
- Set up folder heirarchy properly so that the mod actually works
- Make the mod in Creation kit, copying the previously mentioned metal helmet with a new ID and replacing the AA with one of my own.

That's just the process for this single helmet, and that's a process I've developed over a week of throwing myself at the game. Static objects like terrain or buildings, or even weapons, are supposedly a lot easier to work with, though, and it's also a lot easier to do something like take an existing, already working mesh (like the vanilla game's bottle) and add it to another existing, already working mesh (a helmet), which is why you see a lot of custom armor assets that just cobbled-together pieces of other outfits.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
That all makes sense, but it's disappointing. I would love to have some cool Brotherhood of Steel themed towers or guard posts. Maybe some day :(

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

AwkwardKnob posted:

That all makes sense, but it's disappointing. I would love to have some cool Brotherhood of Steel themed towers or guard posts. Maybe some day :(

either snap and build or homemaker have all of the bos guardpost assets

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
To me, the Settlement features are the most compelling, and I'm surprised at the lack of decent mods, other than the Don't Call me Settler mod and a couple others. Snap-N-Build is my favorite building mod, and between the two, combines with a mod that increases hostile spawns by like 1000%, I have a reason to create fortified settlements to run to in the Commonwealth.

It seems, with the GECK being so new still, that a lot of the mods that were earth shattering like the ones for Skyrim aren't out yet, and I think it's being further complicated by an angry modding community completely disgusted with the limitations being pushed in favor of console integration, and the lovely, entitled console community in general. Mod comments on the Bethesda store only confirm this, and I'm still using Nexus as a result.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

The_White_Crane posted:

It's hard and uncommon for people to create good new art assets in mods.
So many new guns, so many which look like something from the Unity asset store.

Oh good Im not the only one who thought that M1 carbine looked weird.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
The aggro/alignment of the War of the Commonwealth mobs are so weird, Institute Synths don't seem hostile to me but they sure like to tear through everyone else. I went into the old folks home in Salem and a bunch of them came in behind me and started tearing through the Mr Handies, then they just hung around with nothing to do. A lot of them had had their arms buzzsawed off.

It's about two months old but the mod I'm really enjoying now is Portable Crafting Tools: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11783/

It's the only thing I've come across that lets you swap gun mods while you're out and about, since I shouldn't have to find a bench just to be able to swap regular ammo for firebolts on my crossbow. (Hopefully he updates it sometime so I can make those changes from in-inventory. Also something he didn't do that the first, much uglier crossbow mod did was to make projectiles pick-upable, but thankfully that's any easy fix on my end.) My only complaints about Portable Tools are that they should weigh more and, if possible, not have the full functionality of regular benches.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Saint Sputnik posted:

The aggro/alignment of the War of the Commonwealth mobs are so weird, Institute Synths don't seem hostile to me but they sure like to tear through everyone else. I went into the old folks home in Salem and a bunch of them came in behind me and started tearing through the Mr Handies, then they just hung around with nothing to do. A lot of them had had their arms buzzsawed off.

The synth aggro bug seems to stick around too, even through a new game. I uninstalled WotC because it was dumb and started a new game, and synths still aren't aggressive.

Made Fort Hagen a 30 second jaunt tho.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Azhais posted:

The synth aggro bug seems to stick around too, even through a new game. I uninstalled WotC because it was dumb and started a new game, and synths still aren't aggressive.

I believe I mentioned it earlier, but the mod bizarrely made the Railroad aggro against my automatrons, but not me. They were just sitting in my settlement repeatedly gunning down my poor little farming robot, Fran, over and over. :(

...they also spammed grenades, which would blow up all my crops and other objects :I

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

AwkwardKnob posted:

Is it really hard and uncommon for people to create new art assets in mods? I was looking, and it seems like there aren't any mods for different types of guard posts. That really surprised me, because with all the other mods available, it looks really loving weird to plop a big wood, steel, and barbed wire pike of junk in the middle of everything.

I just got home and checked - definitely seems that Homemaker adds two guardpost towers as well as a floormat (and possibly sandbags but I'm not sure if that's homemaker or not)

Here's the two towers:

(has a built in ramp)

(needs its own staircase)

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Azhais posted:

Might be because of the scripts involved in the mod. You could try deleting the loose files but I guess they'd still be in a saved game file?

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
The OP hasn't been updated in a good while, are there any goon approved modpacks or overhauls out there are recommended?

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Saint Sputnik posted:

Might be because of the scripts involved in the mod. You could try deleting the loose files but I guess they'd still be in a saved game file?

The WOTC modder posted the correct way to uninstall the mod. Go inside somewhere with no spawns, like the root cellar at Sanctuary. Save, exit game, uninstall mod. Load save, go outside and save, and it should be cleaned out.

Mr.Grit
Jul 16, 2006

Sexual Aluminum posted:

The OP hasn't been updated in a good while, are there any goon approved modpacks or overhauls out there are recommended?

Marelo's overhaul readme

Check that one out and see if it's something that interests you.
I'm using it in my current playthrough and enjoying the changes.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
Hey guys. Has anyone in this thread ever used "Imp's More Complex Needs" for New Vegas or I guess for Skyrim? I got hundreds of hours out of NV by turning it into something of a survival game. The mod made it so that you didn't just need to consider finding food/water/etc, but also their nutritional content and even palatability (eating a complex cooked meal was infinitely better than just horking down raw molerat meat or whatever).

I'd love something like this for FO4, something that made it much more survival-y; the author of the mods I mentioned doesn't seem the be poised to do anything similar for this game so I was just curious if anyone in this thread has seen anything similar. Thanks dudes.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
The Resurrection mod just got updated to 1.3.1. Supposed to have much better performance. There's only the lite version for now

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

The Resurrection mod just got updated to 1.3.1. Supposed to have much better performance. There's only the lite version for now

That's gorgeous!

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Downloading it now, I've been excited to try this for a while but was holding off for the "lite" version. It leaves out the building textures, which I still want actually, so I may have to download the original as well. And people in the thread for the mod are talking about the need to put all the loose textures into a .bsa file for better performance, so I'll have to try that.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
TUNNEL SNAKES RULE!

Also, tired of the embarassing 'whoops forgot to take my core out now Mama Murphy is getting high in my power armor' situation? well, worry no more silly goon for this mod makes it so Nate/Nora/VaultThing takes the core with them when they leave!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is a console mod that increases FOV at all possible?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Is a console mod that increases FOV at all possible?

The only way that I can think of would be using a dummy esp to inject an .ini file, but I don't know if you can even package up an .ini file for consoles.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Does cheat menu do it?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Gonkish posted:

The only way that I can think of would be using a dummy esp to inject an .ini file, but I don't know if you can even package up an .ini file for consoles.

I don't think it would work even if you could, given the way the console mod file structure works.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Kimsemus posted:

I don't think it would work even if you could, given the way the console mod file structure works.

True. I'm sitting here thinking that it's just like on PC but of course that's most likely not true. Kind of a shame that Bethesda doesn't even bother with the most basic options (even on PC). For example, brightness settings; they literally do not exist in-game. Why? gently caress knows.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Gonkish posted:

True. I'm sitting here thinking that it's just like on PC but of course that's most likely not true. Kind of a shame that Bethesda doesn't even bother with the most basic options (even on PC). For example, brightness settings; they literally do not exist in-game. Why? gently caress knows.

Bethesda is in a bad spot, the integration of console mods and they way they have handled it has been a mistake in every sense of the word. The ONLY saving grace is that they are sharing an API with Nexus, which at first, many thought would save Nexus from certain doom, but in fact is probably keeping the Bethesday mod store afloat given the cancer that is spewing forth from the console scene, mod theft, and crippling limitations that Bethesda imposes (CBBE is banned for instance, which even if you don't use the nude features, almost all body mods depend on for any kind of NPC form modification)

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
CBBE really is stupid for the most part but l o l at banning it outright. Can't have big 'ol titties in the headsplattery FPS :patriot:

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Capn Beeb posted:

CBBE really is stupid for the most part but l o l at banning it outright. Can't have big 'ol titties in the headsplattery FPS :patriot:
Well the game's been rated for violence but not for nudity, and I guess if they distribute things that could put that rating into question through official channels there might be trouble.

Also it's just classic American sensibilities that sexual content is much worse than violence for some reason.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Woebin posted:

Well the game's been rated for violence but not for nudity, and I guess if they distribute things that could put that rating into question through official channels there might be trouble.

Also it's just classic American sensibilities that sexual content is much worse than violence for some reason.

User generated content is usually explicitly not part of the rating.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Rinkles posted:

User generated content is usually explicitly not part of the rating.

Right but this may be the first, or maybe the biggest, instance of mods being officially endorsed by the original company.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

How lite is the lite resurrection? I tried the previous one and the guy went too nuts with all the grass.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
They're probably all terrified of little Timmy's grandmother walking in and seeing titties and having the hot coffee debacle all over again.

Sylink posted:

How lite is the lite resurrection? I tried the previous one and the guy went too nuts with all the grass.

I think "lite" is just lower res textures to increase performance

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I wouldn't be surprised if it's Sony and MS, not Bethesda

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Azhais posted:

They're probably all terrified of little Timmy's grandmother walking in and seeing titties and having the hot coffee debacle all over again.

Bethesda did experience their own version of that back with Oblivion, but that just ended up with the ESRB bumping it from T to M.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
well, a character in oblivion discusses necrophilia, soo.......

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

staberind posted:

well, a character in oblivion discusses necrophilia, soo.......

It's not like Curie doesn't beg you to bang her at every opportunity (tho I guess fo4 got an M rating anyway)

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Capn Beeb posted:

Well the bodysliders are still useful for changing armor/clothing to fit whatever NPC forms you're using. A lot of mods depend on it, even some armor mods.

Barn Owl
Oct 29, 2005
"text"

Schubalts posted:

Bethesda did experience their own version of that back with Oblivion, but that just ended up with the ESRB bumping it from T to M.

I thought that was for the mutilated corpses in the Oblivion towers.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

Kimsemus posted:

Well the bodysliders are still useful for changing armor/clothing to fit whatever NPC forms you're using. A lot of mods depend on it, even some armor mods.

"This mod requires 'Rockin' Knockers 1.5.2', 'Butthole Blast 3.1' and 'Immersive Giant Clits 0.3+'"

I get that it's not all about that, it just amuses me greatly that such features always seem to be tied to those mods.

It also confuses me that mods like CBBE are female only. Like, I could see past the nude part if it was an overall character model improvement. But the male models can all be minecraft voxels, as long as my waifu looks like a 4k sac of bowling balls.

graynull fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 6, 2016

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Kimsemus posted:

Yeah I know, but to throw the whole lot under a blanket ban is just silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

graynull posted:

I get that it's not all about that, it just amuses me greatly that such features always seem to be tied to those mods.

If you don't like your armor mods being so skintight that they have modeled cameltoe I don't know what to tell you.

• Locked thread