Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

I'd go with Monoprice over AmazonBasics: http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=2405

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Im_Special posted:

I'm not really sure what this is, a quick google lookup, make it look to me like it's just a versatile display converter for hdmi/dvi/vga? Is there any advantages over the hdmi to dvi cable I linked to above? I assume I'll still be limited to DVI standards or whatever like no audio only digital, etc.

I don't get it -- your U2412Ms have a displayport in. Why use anything else?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ak Gara posted:

Even a 1080 can't do 120fps @ 1080p or 60fps @ 4k.

I'ma wait for the 1080 Ti.

Doom was posted in this very thread at staying above 60 FPS at 4k with all settings maxed out on a 1080.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
980ti does 120fps on ultra at 1080p with overwatch which is nice since thats the game everyone is playing

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

It's true, Overwatch is the only game that really matters right now. Game owns so much.

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

Fauxtool posted:

980ti does 120fps on ultra at 1080p with overwatch which is nice since thats the game everyone is playing

with the 1070 i hope to achieve above 144fps at ultra

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Smithereens posted:

with the 1070 i hope to achieve above 144fps at ultra

it would be nice but is there any point? are their monitors above 144 hz?

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

Fauxtool posted:

it would be nice but is there any point? are their monitors above 144 hz?

i'm preparing for 200hz monitors.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
40 bucks I'd rather spend on weed, *but* Overwatch seems fun.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I think I still have 1333Mhz RAM sticks (2x4GB), I've never really thought about RAM but I know this is a relatively low frequency.

Does it matter at all?
I mean I guess the obvious answer is that if it's never been a problem for me it's fine, but I'm not missing out on any significant performance increases or anything, am I?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

sout posted:

I think I still have 1333Mhz RAM sticks (2x4GB), I've never really thought about RAM but I know this is a relatively low frequency.

Does it matter at all?
I mean I guess the obvious answer is that if it's never been a problem for me it's fine, but I'm not missing out on any significant performance increases or anything, am I?

Back in the day it didn't really matter. Now, we're seeing minimum frame rate being effected by RAM speed in the more demanding games like GTA V and Witcher 3. Unfortunately, the test have mostly been done on Skylake, with DDR4, so I can't tell you how much it will effect DDR3 systems. I am legitimately curious too, because of my strange build.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

teagone posted:

It's true, Overwatch is the only game that really matters right now. Game owns so much.
I imagine it's going to be *that game* that people are basing their performance targets on right now. Wish I could run it with better settings, game looks friggin awesome.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
plus its an online fps so high and smooth frames are an actual benefit worth reaching for

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Does anyone know when we're going to start seeing aftermarket editions of the 1070 and 1080? How much of a difference will it make? This is the first time I've been looking to buy a graphics card so close to its release.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Phlegmish posted:

Does anyone know when we're going to start seeing aftermarket editions of the 1070 and 1080? How much of a difference will it make? This is the first time I've been looking to buy a graphics card so close to its release.

We will be seeing some of them on release day on June 10th. I'm expecting some of them with reference boards but custom coolers right away, there might be a few with custom boards on release in small quantities too but I expect most of the custom board designs to be out within a month or two. Pascal apparently has some yield issues so supply is quite limited, how that will effect the 1070 is anyones guess, if most of the yield issues are leading to chips being cut down to the point where they can still be used as 1070 chips the supply of 1070s should be pretty good, if the yield issues are more severe then both the 1080 and 1070 will be very constrained and you might have to wait weeks after ordering one for it to ship out to you.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Pascal apparently has some yield issues so supply is quite limited

Are the yield issues just on the Pascal end or with GDDRX supplies too? I thought I heard that GDDR5X memory supplies were constrained and that was also a factor with 1080 availability. Since the 1070 uses regular GDDR5 it wouldn't be impacted as much.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

ufarn posted:

I imagine it's going to be *that game* that people are basing their performance targets on right now. Wish I could run it with better settings, game looks friggin awesome.

I'm running it on high 1080p on a 7870 and and the framerate seems to remain above 60, it's not especially taxing (which is probably good, making it very accessible, which seems to be its focus), still, can't wait to get a new card to get slightly sharper edges or shadows or whatever :toot:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

macnbc posted:

Are the yield issues just on the Pascal end or with GDDRX supplies too? I thought I heard that GDDR5X memory supplies were constrained and that was also a factor with 1080 availability. Since the 1070 uses regular GDDR5 it wouldn't be impacted as much.

Unfortunately that is still a question at this point, though with some of the variability in max clock speed we are seeing even with well cooled aftermarket 1080s I tend to think that at least some of it is yield issues with Pascal. With Maxwell we saw very stable top end speeds of around 1430MHz, with Pascal I am seeing some samples that simply won't go over 1950MHz or so and some that go all the way to 2150MHz, that 200MHz variation in max clock speeds leads me to believe that there is more variation per chip and therefore more potential for defects than we saw with Maxwell. Of course that makes sense because we are on a new process now and they are still working out issues with it so hopefully yields will stabilize over the next year or so. GDDR5X is probably just waiting on production ramp ups more than anything else so the supply constraints there will depend on how fast they can get fabs up for it.

Of course the sample sizes we are working with for clock speeds with the 1080 are absolutely tiny so it might just all be smoke with no fire. :shrug:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Isn't like only 1 company making G5X (oh god I hate that moniker) at the moment?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

macnbc posted:

The hint from the Overclockers forum was that GDDR5X was the supply bottleneck. Also that there's enough pre-orders to cover anticipated shipments possibly all the way to August.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

We will be seeing some of them on release day on June 10th. I'm expecting some of them with reference boards but custom coolers right away, there might be a few with custom boards on release in small quantities too but I expect most of the custom board designs to be out within a month or two. Pascal apparently has some yield issues so supply is quite limited, how that will effect the 1070 is anyones guess, if most of the yield issues are leading to chips being cut down to the point where they can still be used as 1070 chips the supply of 1070s should be pretty good, if the yield issues are more severe then both the 1080 and 1070 will be very constrained and you might have to wait weeks after ordering one for it to ship out to you.

For the 1070, would you recommend I wait the extra time for the custom board + custom cooler instead of reference board + custom cooler? I gather that the main difference is that some of the custom boards come overclocked out of the box. I'm definitely not inclined to buy Founders Edition because of the extra cost and some bad things I've read about the cooler of the 1080.

DarkEnigma
Mar 31, 2001
So I think I maxed out my two 1080's. Spent a few days and many hours slowly raising and backing off clocks and adjusting voltage. Final numbers: Core 2101 Mem 5528 (+210 and +525 respectively). Scored 10229 on Firestrike Ultra.

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/8692453

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

DarkEnigma posted:

So I think I maxed out my two 1080's. Spent a few days and many hours slowly raising and backing off clocks and adjusting voltage. Final numbers: Core 2101 Mem 5528 (+210 and +525 respectively). Scored 10229 on Firestrike Ultra.

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/8692453

Not sure how you are testing the memory and/or you may have already seen this, but just in case you haven't:
https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/4mm5zt/for_those_overclocking_1080_memory_please_read/

quote:

I opened a window version of Unigine Valley and checked the FPS at a certain point and paused it. At stock memory it was 106 FPS. Raising it up to +600 made it drop to 102 FPS so i slowly decreased it by -10 each time and then -1 when i noticed a leap in performance. Ended up with +457 which gave me 113 FPS, the SECOND i raised it to 458 it dropped to 102 again.

quote:

GDDR5 error correction. This has been true on a lot of cards for several years now (my GTX 760s exhibit this behavior, for example). What can happen is that the memory timings are automatically loosened in response to errors introduced by too high of a memory clock, reducing or at least plateauing performance. It's never worth pushing past that point.

Unrelated, what was your final voltage at?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Phlegmish posted:

For the 1070, would you recommend I wait the extra time for the custom board + custom cooler instead of reference board + custom cooler? I gather that the main difference is that some of the custom boards come overclocked out of the box. I'm definitely not inclined to buy Founders Edition because of the extra cost and some bad things I've read about the cooler of the 1080.

Custom boards tend to have better power delivery. If you want to overclock your own board, that is pretty useful. Be aware that OEMs like to bin their chips, so if you're not getting the top-of-the-line 1070, you may have trouble getting much past the OEM overclock.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

It's hard to say at this point, we have seen only a few reviews. The custom boards don't just have factory overclocks, in fact plenty of the reference board+custom cooler ones will also have factory overclocks. The main difference is in power design, the custom boards tend to have better power delivery, both more stable delivery and higher total board power. Those both help when overclocking, especially power stability. However even if you have better power delivery that does not mean that you will get a better OC, that depends on the chip on your card, if your chip does not have much headroom the extra power and more stable delivery won't be able to help all that much, on the other hand if you have an amazing chip on a board without enough power or without stable enough power delivery those factors will be limiting the chip. If you just want a card that will get to at least ~1950MHz or so stable when OCed then one with a reference board and a good cooler might be the best choice, I expect those types to be pretty cheap, for instance the EVGA 1080 ACX 3.0 is that type and is only $20 over the MSRP.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ah. If I'm not interested in overclocking my graphics card myself, but I wouldn't mind slightly better performance out of the box, I might as well go reference board + custom cooler? Or are there other differences in quality?

I'm assuming no one here has a custom 1080 yet considering the supply problems, but if you do I'm curious to see which one you went for.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Really hope there's some decent non-founder edition 1070s available on the 10th. I'd get a 1080 but the 1070 seems like it should be more than enough to run games comfortably at 1440p.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
There won't be.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Some people are speculating that 1080 supply might be more constrained than 1070 because of the gddr5x

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

bull3964 posted:

Doom was posted in this very thread at staying above 60 FPS at 4k with all settings maxed out on a 1080.

In several benchmarks and live play videos, Doom got around 45-50 fps. Plus a lot of other games don't quite make it to that magical 60 fps at 4k with everything maxed out.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Phlegmish posted:

Ah. If I'm not interested in overclocking my graphics card myself, but I wouldn't mind slightly better performance out of the box, I might as well go reference board + custom cooler? Or are there other differences in quality?

I'm assuming no one here has a custom 1080 yet considering the supply problems, but if you do I'm curious to see which one you went for.

From a certain perspective, not overclocking would give you more reason to buy a non-reference board, since those tend to start with higher clocks out of the box.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Some people are speculating that 1080 supply might be more constrained than 1070 because of the gddr5x

Yes, but custom boards take time to design, as does modifying whatever needs to be modified to fit their custom coolers to the reference board.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Yes, but custom boards take time to design, as does modifying whatever needs to be modified to fit their custom coolers to the reference board.

True, but they've had their hands on the 1070 for a while now, I think some customs have even been announced already (Inno3D for example).

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Is there a decent buyers guide for the 1080 out there? I've decided on a 1080, but I can't seem to find any reviews of individual cards.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

EVGA had their custom 1070 at Computex last week. The cooler design looks extremely similar to the 1080 counterpart.
They clearly are already designed, the question is how many will they have available.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

MrYenko posted:

Is there a decent buyers guide for the 1080 out there? I've decided on a 1080, but I can't seem to find any reviews of individual cards.

It's still too early, I have only seen reviews of a couple custom cards so far. You'll probably have to wait a couple more weeks at least before we will have some idea of what the best card to buy is.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

MaxxBot posted:

It's still too early, I have only seen reviews of a couple custom cards so far. You'll probably have to wait a couple more weeks at least before we will have some idea of what the best card to buy is.

http://videocardz.com/60496/custom-geforce-gtx-1080-roundup

That gives you the basic stats. On the other hand, frequency gaps that small mean that performance wise they're much of a muchness, what's really going to matter is how the custom cooling solution performs.

DarkEnigma
Mar 31, 2001

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Not sure how you are testing the memory and/or you may have already seen this, but just in case you haven't:
https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/4mm5zt/for_those_overclocking_1080_memory_please_read/

Unrelated, what was your final voltage at?

Huh that's interesting about the memory. I'll play around with it and see if it makes a difference. Unfortunately I'm still a noob at overclocking, I just use MSI afterburner. They changed the way the voltage works, its now a percentage slider so I don't know what the exact voltage is. I have the slider sitting at 75% though. I've been keeping an eye on the temps to make sure it's not too high and it stays around 75-78C under full load with fans at about 60%. Very quiet cards, this blower has impressed me.

DarkEnigma fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 5, 2016

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Tanreall posted:

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20160530PD201.html

Nintendo is delaying the NX to add VR support. If AMD won the bid for the NX that gives them four platforms for VR. It'll be interesting to see if VR can take off at all but also if it does where it'll do the best.

At first I was intrigued by the idea of a game console designed with VR support from the beginning, but then...

quote:

The sources pointed out that the Nintendo NX combines the video gaming experience with the mobile gaming experience. The device features a 5- to 7-inch display, controller and joystick for users to play as a mobile gaming product, but it is also able to connect to a TV for users to play as a video game system.

If that's what we're dealing with, the VR will probably end up closer to Gear VR than PSVR.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The 1070 does like 80+ FPS at max settings in basically everything at 1440p, there is no reason to get a 1080, especially since the difference between the two cards is looking to be smaller than everyone thought once you take overclocking into account.

What about for 2560x1600 or VR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Im_Special posted:

This question might be better suited for another thread but it's video card related, so why not.

I plan on getting a 1070 (oh man going from a 560Ti >_<) but my monitors are two dell u2412M, which have no HDMI, newer video cards don't have 2x DVI ports generally it seems, so I think I need to get a special HDMI to DVI cable correct?

Is this what I'm looking for? So I can hook my two monitors to a modern video card. https://www.amazon.ca/AmazonBasics-HDMI-DVI-Adapter-Cable/dp/B00NH11X64/?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1465087569&sr=1-21

Someone else mentioned it, but in case it wasn't seen, the U2412M has a display port on it. Get you 2 display port cables and use the 2 display ports if the 1070 you get has 2, or 1 display port and 1 DVI if not.