Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

widespread posted:

Two words: PC version. Will give Knack a looker.

I refuse to uninstall THE EXPENDABROS however.

I'm sure you're going to get some nay-sayers and trolls saying things like "Knack is bad" and "don't buy knack", don't listen to them. Knack is the Official PlayStation 4 Mascot™, after all

Although if you want to settle for a pale imitation of a Knack clone that just happens to "look prettier" and "play better", Ratchet and Clank is a decent also-ran

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tricking people into spending money on bad games isn't nice

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Buy MGSV 👍

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Manatee Cannon posted:

tricking people into spending money on bad games isn't nice

It's on sale for £4.75 at the moment

I still didn't buy it

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Yeah, MGSV is really good as well. I am surprised people haven't been saying TLoU, since that has a pretty big following here.

As far as multiplats, I actually really liked Mad Max, but I only recommend that to fans of the movie series. GTAV is also a pretty solid title.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Everything about Max Payne 3 owned and I still listen to this soundtrack often. The airport level where Tears plays is one of the most hype video game levels of the past several years.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

unlawfulsoup posted:

Yeah, MGSV is really good as well. I am surprised people haven't been saying TLoU, since that has a pretty big following here.

As far as multiplats, I actually really liked Mad Max, but I only recommend that to fans of the movie series. GTAV is also a pretty solid title.

Who doesn't own TLOU?

Get TLOU.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Despite Uncharted being fairly mediocre, The Last of Us does indeed more or less live up to the hype. It's an excellent experience, a competant survival horror with thick atmosphere and a genuinely engaging story and characters.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Also amazing sound design and music 👍

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Also amazing sound design and music 👍

The horrible noises you and your enemies make when they die is really a level above. The Clickers sound terrifying too.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Everything about Max Payne 3 owned and I still listen to this soundtrack often. The airport level where Tears plays is one of the most hype video game levels of the past several years.

Seriously how does one hate anything about this game besides the load times and unskippable cutscenes.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Anyone with the Just Cause 3 Season Pass, Sony's apparently messed up on the Store somehow, you have to go directly to the DLC listing to download it. So says the game's Twitter. And, uh, I hope you're not planning to be all that whelmed. It's certainly a DLC.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

ElwoodCuse posted:

Seriously how does one hate anything about this game besides the load times and unskippable cutscenes.

It was a very accurate portrayal of current day Brazil. Also Max is the worst bodyguard

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
The entire game is about how godawful Max is. It's not all that subtle about it either, there are a number of times the game hints that you'd hosed up before you'd even started. If you want to be a cunning detective, or a dashing unstoppable shootmans, Max Payne 3 isn't your game. If you want to be a washed-up wreckage of pills and booze, then yeah.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Despite Uncharted being fairly mediocre, The Last of Us does indeed more or less live up to the hype. It's an excellent experience, a competant survival horror with thick atmosphere and a genuinely engaging story and characters.

What drags Uncharted down makes TLoU spectacular - I'm playing through 4 and the enemies being bullet sponges on Normal difficulty is just frustrating. However make it a more survival horror type atmosphere and each enemy being a pain in the arse to kill makes perfect sense.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

MysticalMachineGun posted:

What drags Uncharted down makes TLoU spectacular - I'm playing through 4 and the enemies being bullet sponges on Normal difficulty is just frustrating.

If you shoot an unarmored enemy in the head with a pistol in Borderlands, they lose 5% of their health bar. That is a bullet sponge.

If you shoot an unarmored enemy in the head with a pistol in Uncharted 4, they die instantly.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If you shoot an unarmored enemy in the head with a pistol in Uncharted 4, they die instantly.

I'm playing it this very second and they don't.
The dudes in the plain t shirts can take more than one headshot which is super annoying.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have been headshotting people through 4 Uncharted games, they all die to bullets to the head unless they are wearing helmets or blue.

The reticle turns into an 8-pointed star when you headshot people. If you are not seeing them, you missed.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The enemies still aren't remotely bullet spongy.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I'm playing it this very second and they don't.
The dudes in the plain t shirts can take more than one headshot which is super annoying.

Maybe you aren't on normal? I played it and they all died and it was super nice that headshots were kills again.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't think the harder difficulties even add health in UC4. One headshot should take a guy down but I did see guys occasionally take 2.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

While I contemplate getting TLoU, I must also ask. Is PlayStation Now ever worth it or would it have been better lumped with PS+? Some of the games I saw with PSNow were games I kinda wanted to try more but... after the 7-day trial, I have to pay a 20 spot each month?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The only way I could see people describing Uncharted games, and especially 4, as having bullet-spongy enemies is if you are playing it as a straightforward cover shooter and are trying to plink at people from mid-range with automatics.

This is the wrong way to play Uncharted. If you use stealth, run and gun, punch people, and use explosives, you will tear through most encounters on Normal pretty quickly.

Edit:

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 6, 2016

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I can confirm that enemies in UC4 definitely die to one headshot. Even some of the later game ones that seem like they shouldn't. It is nowhere near as bad as the previous games in this regard.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm pretty sure that all human, non armored enemies have died in one headshot in uncharted and tlou both

except maybe for those fat melee guys in 3. I don't remember if you ever have a gun when they're around

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

*didn't have a ps3 voice* Eh I think Uncharted was really overrated

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The problem is the UC games rely far too heavily on headshots - they're the best way to kill people, sure. However it should not take multiple grenade launcher shots to kill common enemies.

The shotgun guys need to have their helmet blown off before they die, regardless of what weapon you use. This means that they tank a grenade shell to the face and keep on trucking.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

What drags Uncharted down makes TLoU spectacular - I'm playing through 4 and the enemies being bullet sponges on Normal difficulty is just frustrating. However make it a more survival horror type atmosphere and each enemy being a pain in the arse to kill makes perfect sense.

I played on Crushing and didn't think there were many bullet sponge enemies, especially compared to my memories of UC3. Headshots are key, and grenades and stealth can take down the majority of enemies.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

widespread posted:

While I contemplate getting TLoU, I must also ask. Is PlayStation Now ever worth it or would it have been better lumped with PS+? Some of the games I saw with PSNow were games I kinda wanted to try more but... after the 7-day trial, I have to pay a 20 spot each month?

if you want to play the games its worth it since many ps3 games still cost over 10 dollars new. however it totally depends on your connection so do the test before you pay them anything. with a good connection its hard to notice you are streaming a game. with a bad one its a very bad time

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The problem is the UC games rely far too heavily on headshots - they're the best way to kill people, sure. However it should not take multiple grenade launcher shots to kill common enemies.

The shotgun guys need to have their helmet blown off before they die, regardless of what weapon you use. This means that they tank a grenade shell to the face and keep on trucking.

Enemy differentiation doesn't seem to be a bad thing to me

Edit: Like, one out of every 10 enemies for most of the game takes more damage than usual (I admit there is a spike for this in 3 but it's still not that bad) when it has one of the better third-person shooter systems and feels really good to play, and yet for some people this triggers painful cries of "BULLET SPONGE"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Just shoot them twice in the head

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Just run up to them and dump a mag into them, there is so much ammo in this game. Use the 40 grenades and grenade launchers that drop in every encounter. Melee them. Christ.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

grenade launcher kills normal dudes instantly with a direct impact iirc. in mp it takes two hits but that's mp and balanced differently

you don't have to knock armored dudes' hats off. you can actually knock off the body armor as well but obviously they take more damage from a headshot

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It's supposed to be a fun action movie game, and you should act like a fun action movie hero. Only cower behind cover when you need to heal

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

if you want to play the games its worth it since many ps3 games still cost over 10 dollars new. however it totally depends on your connection so do the test before you pay them anything. with a good connection its hard to notice you are streaming a game. with a bad one its a very bad time

Oh good point. Because I think I get some weird connections every now and then. So yeah, I'll see if it works over the 7-day free poo poo.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The problem with Uncharted's combat is that almost all of it is really quite meaningless. Particularly in the first game and to great extent in the second as well, combat scenarios are rather contrived. Enemies just drop into a situation because otherwise the player would have nothing to do between two objective markers. The combat is thus not particularly thoughtful, and strategy relies more on how the combat arena is set up than it is based on the enemies you are fighting. You could remove combat almost entirely from Uncharted and every game would be improved by it. Like, in Uncharted 3 you have the airplane sequence and you have to dangle and trade shots with the most persistent henchmen in the world and it's not really all that exciting because you've been shooting guys in varying positions and settings the whole game. If for most of the game you'd been just solving puzzles, platforming or whatnot, then that combat scenario would be a really thrilling break in the gameplay, and the combat would be meaningful as a result.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

*nods emphatically*
true, true. such meaningless combat.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Honestly, most of what people love TLoU made it a total slog for me, I lost interest around 2 hours in crawling around. I also didn't care about any character and the world just seemed totally hosed anyway. Every encounter was unpleasant in that game, the combat was simply the pits to me. That is just me though, I like the Indiana Jones exciting shooter (but I loved bloodborne so who knows what is wrong with me). Uncharted is about adventure and locales, the game is not trying to be dour like 90% of the game out today; it doesn't have a stick up its rear end. The characters are developed well for this type of game, and it just is a lot of fun. I sort of agree with some of the earlier UC being bullet spongey, but the game tends to play better if you don't sit a mile away cover shooting. UC4 enemies definitely can be taken out with headshots, or you can stealth them.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

So I did the free PSNow trial and... jesus gently caress, either there is a noticeable lag or Motorstorm Apocalypse is bad in performance options.

Not sure I want to commit to it if all games have a noticeable lag. But if it's just only a few games, then I guess I can deal?

Fake Edit: Or you know maybe it's because I had BFH updating. I'll try after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It has one of the best video game soundtracks .

Yeah, I actually remember being sort of in awe of the Max Payne 3 soundtrack credits, but also how intricately most of the music was integrated into the gameplay/cutscene structure.

MP3 was good enough, an admirable final take on a concept that was stretching thin. The story was dogshit but the presentation and gameplay were pr good.

• Locked thread