Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Digirat posted:

Hello none of my friends play this game, is it still worth playing random public games by myself or is it competitive enough that you need a group of friends for it to be any good

Play with goons. Problem solved. Add me Clockwork#12173

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Digirat posted:

Hello none of my friends play this game, is it still worth playing random public games by myself or is it competitive enough that you need a group of friends for it to be any good

I'm having a lot of fun playing solo. It's a good game, and popular enough that you're not going to be put against players much, much better than you very often.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
Just had a game as a Reinhardt attacking Hanamura where after getting point A I didn't see anyone but my Lucio ever again.

I honestly couldn't figure out where they were. They weren't flanking, they weren't dead, they weren't behind me. They just disappeared.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Digirat posted:

You can solo, but use goon discord and make friends

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Tales of Woe posted:

is the map rotation unweighted? i've played 100 games now and still haven't played Kings Row yet, i didn't even know it existed until i saw it on a stream

same but anubis temple

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Tales of Woe posted:

is the map rotation unweighted? i've played 100 games now and still haven't played Kings Row yet, i didn't even know it existed until i saw it on a stream

It is kind of weird

I've gotten Volskaya maybe 3 times in 200 games + like half of my games in the past couple of days have been on the 3 KotH maps

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

my map rotation on quick play is heavily biased towards Hollywood, Gibralter, and Volskaya.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

RugClockVexx posted:

Antagonize the gently caress out of them. I feel like she excels on maps with choke points (Hanamura defense is my favorite with her). I shield suicidal offensive heroes all the while holding choke points, popping shields, and lobbing M2 bombs. When it comes down to it, people will shoot you if you're shooting them, even if it means making you strong like the mountain.

Along this same idea, my friend and I have a ton of success running mei and zarya together. Between her E and shift, Mei has such great survivability that she can be really aggressive, and zarya loves aggressive teammates.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

a cat on an apple posted:

Just had a game as a Reinhardt attacking Hanamura where after getting point A I didn't see anyone but my Lucio ever again.

I honestly couldn't figure out where they were. They weren't flanking, they weren't dead, they weren't behind me. They just disappeared.

Yeah sometimes it seems like you get a team who was never interested in playing the game. It's most noticeable when you're Reinhardt.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Idea, make Winston and Dva do bonus damage to bastion when deployed and tombs sentries.

Problem solved.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Playing with goons is fun. Getting three play-of-the-game in a row is kinda crazy (though I'll admit none of them are super amazing plays)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjtq1c3JHGA

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Forums safari is fun today, lots of baddies:

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 6, 2016

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
What's weird is I almost never see Bastions. Am I just at high MMR even though my aim blows?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Verranicus posted:

Forums safari is fun today, lots of baddies:

Second post is kinda right.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I do wish Torbjorn's turrets took a second to lock on

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I wish they did not lock on and track you through walls.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Lol if you think turrets, one of the few ways to counter fast heroes like Genji and Tracer, need a nerf.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
His point about Genji and Tracer is super dumb but I do think they need to shorten the range on it. It's kind of ridiculous

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

So, how are you supposed to be playing Zarya? It seems like it's really hard to get a charge for her beam, since everyone with even a slight familiarity with her knows that shooting her = really good for her.

It's about timing. Put shields on people in front or big targets. Put them on yourself after the first shot hits you but never before you enter a battle. Cooldowns are your biggest enemy. If you used up your shields and have no power you are functionally useless. Her beam and bombs tickle enemies at 0 power.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

I'm fine with torbjorn's turret as it is but I am not fine with my teammates not knowing how to actually loving kill it

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Verranicus posted:

Lol if you think turrets, one of the few ways to counter fast heroes like Genji and Tracer, need a nerf.

it comes from not great clickers playing tracer and genji and not doing well with them. like obv turrets are easily countered but if you're already struggling to track and move in a useful way as a pixie character then its just gonna seem miserable

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I think I've found that D.VA is fun to play if you have a good healer and otherwise she's not fun to play at all.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kerrrrrrr posted:

I'm fine with torbjorn's turret as it is but I am not fine with my teammates not knowing how to actually loving kill it

Put a Reinhardt in front of it (or in front of a Bastion) and it's pubbie kryptonite.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

I do wish Torbjorn's turrets took a second to lock on

Honestly even a .5 second delay would be good. Barring switching heroes, sometimes the only way to take down a turret is to pop out of a corner repeatedly, which is impossible when a turret can basically target you instantly. It'd be nice if it just had a tiny lock-on time.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The real pain of Turrets/Bastions and the whole "LOL just shoot the turrer!" mentality, is how it glosses over the real problem being the terrain and rest of their team generally providing a killzone to cover their rear end and attract all the salt.

What? Just SHOOT the turrets? What do you think I've been doing? Alas, it's a bit tricky to quite finish them off when you're reinhardt is leaving me out in the open to be shot. Because you have to protect your Mercy from widow headshots from another angle. But the Bastion plowing through your shields is behind THEIR Rehinhardt. Sprinkle a few other enemies who can freely take potshot,s or flank us with little consequence if they die while taking someone with them.

Thoughts, pubbie team as we look at the DEFEAT on Anubis attack? Let's see... All Bastion/Torb being op, or All your team being too stupid to shoot at Bastion/Torb. Wow really?

RugClockVexx
Aug 15, 2008

Macaluso posted:

His point about Genji and Tracer is super dumb but I do think they need to shorten the range on it. It's kind of ridiculous

Yeah, I thought Genji was essentially a turret/bastion killer. That second post guy has got to be trolling or something.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Section Z posted:

The real pain of Turrets/Bastions and the whole "LOL just shoot the turrer!" mentality, is how it glosses over the real problem being the terrain and rest of their team generally providing a killzone to cover their rear end and attract all the salt.

What? Just SHOOT the turrets? What do you think I've been doing? Alas, it's a bit tricky to quite finish them off when you're reinhardt is leaving me out in the open to be shot. Because you have to protect your Mercy from widow headshots from another angle. But the Bastion plowing through your shields is behind THEIR Rehinhardt. Sprinkle a few other enemies who can freely take potshot,s or flank us with little consequence if they die while taking someone with them.

Thoughts, pubbie team as we look at the DEFEAT on Anubis attack? Let's see... All Bastion/Torb being op, or All your team being too stupid to shoot at Bastion/Torb. Wow really?

Yes, this team-based game is difficult if you do not work as a team.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Section Z posted:

Seriously. Just shoot the turret.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RugClockVexx posted:

Yeah, I thought Genji was essentially a turret/bastion killer. That second post guy has got to be trolling or something.

genji can take out torbjorn's turrets with the reflect (if they're hurt anyway, idk that they even do enough damage to kill themselves just off of a reflect) but any bastion that lets you kill them with the reflect probably wasn't a problem in the first place

soldier 76's a great turret killer tho

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
They aren't really OP in the slightest, it's just that currently it's a really, really easy Defense meta that is really, really hard to Attack against. All it takes is one more person likeminded on board with the strategy to suddenly make it an incredibly efficient Defense that takes a disproportionate amount of coordination from the Attack team to dismantle.

This is okay because it's really important to keep in mind that all it takes is one good teamfight to take a huge advantage. Anubis, for example, feature some of the most egregious chokepoints because all it takes is good two teamfights for Attack to take the whole map, and Defend has to prevent those teamfights for 5-9 minutes.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
so hard that attack beats defense more often

RugClockVexx
Aug 15, 2008
I think engaging Bastion/turrets has something to do with the bystander effect. As in there are 6 of you and you expect someone else to do it. The different classes may exacerbate the effect since a healer will definitely expect a Genji or Phara to be on that poo poo. I've been in a few games that have been struggling with a turret and when I hop in the hero screen to switch to Genji, someone else will be playing as him and will not be effective at all. Even though he isn't doing poo poo as Genji I always hesitate in switching over because of class roles and I don't want to "unbalance" our team.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
Also I just had a Numbani Defend where my entire team went up to Attack's entrance and died, and then slowly trickled out one-by-one to die instantly to the Roadhog. When I went to mark them as Avoid This Player, I discovered that all of them were already marked. Including everyone on the enemy team.

I really hate Overwatch's matchmaking right now.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Digirat posted:

I'm actually having more fun in random public games, because I sucks and it mostly groups me up with other people who suck. This is good because I kill them a lot.

When I join games with my higher-level friends, I mostly just die a lot.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Minrad posted:

so hard that attack beats defense more often

this is only true at Max MMR and in comp play, otherwise defense wins more often

that said the turret does 50 dps, it's really not that scary if your team has any sort of shield to dance around or classes who can spam. and fortunately, you are able to chance classes in this game. its really only frustrating for me when i'm on support since i'm reliant on my team to do it and often people refuse to switch off tracer/whatever

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
No guys, you don't understand, Tracer is severely underpowered and we need to nerf turrets.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

please keep in mind that it's not a choice of either/or. lucio and mercy both on one team is good

I wish more people realized that doubling up on support or tank roles is very powerful. It almost never happens in solo queue because people want to play their offense and sniper heroes, but I've never lost with a Mercy and Lucio on the same team.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Verranicus posted:

Seriously. Just shoot the turret.

Well, yes. They pop like a soap bubble if you have half a chance to do it without a half dozen different things taking violent offense to it.

The point was people bitch about turrets even if all they get is the killing bullet while literally anything else kills you, or prevents you from getting the chance to aim at a turret well in the first place.

"Hey guys, I just blew torb off the ledge with a concussion rocket, popped his turret, and managed to finish off Bastion before Widow remembered to look in my direction... Oh we can't make it because the REAL problem is turrets, right. Not everything around them, right"

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

a cat on an apple posted:

Also I just had a Numbani Defend where my entire team went up to Attack's entrance and died, and then slowly trickled out one-by-one to die instantly to the Roadhog. When I went to mark them as Avoid This Player, I discovered that all of them were already marked. Including everyone on the enemy team.

I really hate Overwatch's matchmaking right now.

you've just discovered the secret of video games: avoid buttons have no functionalty but to make you feel better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric

Manatee Cannon posted:

junkrat's martyrdom grenades

Those kill me so often. It's embarassing.