Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah, that was loving embarrassing for everyone involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

UmOk posted:

Why can't the movie studios be considered part of the creative process? Should their artistic expression be blunted?

Studios are artists, my friend.

- :mitt:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

UmOk posted:

Why can't the movie studios be considered part of the creative process? Should their artistic expression be blunted?

MCU really has broken some people

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

UmOk posted:

if you think back to the golden age of hollywood the studios really were a part of the creative process in a very real way, so it's definitely possible. I guess if you want to go back to that, I mean I like a lot of those movies, but I don't think it would work today.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The perspective of a figure above and separated from day-to-day creation can be very valuable. It's why writers have editors, for instance. It ensures that questions like "What is this work?" and "How will its audience approach it?" are answered. It's unclear that studios can be counted on to answer them helpfully, but at least in some cases studio "meddling" does lead to a stronger result.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I like that this forum is probably the only place I've heard that Gareth Edward's movies are "good"

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I like that this forum is probably the only place I've heard that Gareth Edward's movies are "good"

Well they are so I guess you just have poo poo taste.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Zas posted:

if you think back to the golden age of hollywood the studios really were a part of the creative process in a very real way, so it's definitely possible. I guess if you want to go back to that, I mean I like a lot of those movies, but I don't think it would work today.
Block booking back then also did help allow studios to take some amount of artistic risk, compared to how now a single blockbuster film is expected to make like a billion dollars or else it is somehow a failure.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

The REAL Goobusters posted:

...do you only post on something awful?

LittleFuryThings
Jan 11, 2012

Hat Thoughts posted:

Geez not a lot of great impressions in there
The Emma Stone one was pretty spot-on

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Studio execs are literal robots that subsist only on dollar bills and the dead dreams of artists. Robots, of course, are incapable of creative thought.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

UmOk posted:

Studio execs are literal robots that subsist only on dollar bills and the dead dreams of artists. Robots, of course, are incapable of creative thought.

I think you'll find that robots can dream of electric sheep.

poo poo, that's a good idea for a movie: a robot director trying to make something really good while facing robot discrimination. Hollywood will love it.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

I think you'll find that robots can dream of electric sheep.

poo poo, that's a good idea for a movie: a robot director trying to make something really good while facing robot discrimination. Hollywood will love it.

It could have a The Producers twist where he finally makes his dream film and....it's horribly derivative because he can only draw on existing film knowledge. And Hollywood loves it as a result.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I don't think we need a biopic about J.J. Abrams.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Raxivace posted:

I don't think we need a biopic about J.J. Abrams.

It's kind of wacky how quickly CineD has flipped on JJ post-Force Awakens. I recall there being a ton of posts defending Into Darkness when it came out.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Neurolimal posted:

It's kind of wacky how quickly CineD has flipped on JJ post-Force Awakens. I recall there being a ton of posts defending Into Darkness when it came out.

Apparently calling TFA a decent movie (that could be better) is a massive flipping of opinion.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Star Wars reboot not as good as Star Trek reboot, so what.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Neurolimal posted:

I've never flipped around on The Jeej, I've always found him ok at best. I kind of liked Super 8 because of what it was trying to recreate and because it had the army as vllains, something you barely see anymore.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

JJ is really good at camera movement and geometry stuff. Yeah it's a little cheesy sometimes but it's just as likely to be great

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
jj is a great director and i though he was a great director since super 8

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I wouldn't call The Jeej great, or even good, at anything. He's the very definition of blandly adequate.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Is anyone else calling him this or is it just you?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Everyone calls him "The Jeej". It's a time honored tradition.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Chill Penguin posted:

Is anyone else calling him this or is it just you?

I dunno. It just fits with "the jorge" and other similar stupid internet nicknames. :shrug:

edit: The gurm.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
John Boyega got the lead role in Pacific Rim 2, aka the movie I thought was cancelled the last time I looked at it http://deadline.com/2016/06/john-boyega-pacific-rim-sequel-star-wars-the-force-awakens-1201767756/

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

turtlecrunch posted:

John Boyega got the lead role in Pacific Rim 2, aka the movie I thought was cancelled the last time I looked at it http://deadline.com/2016/06/john-boyega-pacific-rim-sequel-star-wars-the-force-awakens-1201767756/

Well...color me excited!

Hopefully it comes out on my birthday like the first one did.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

turtlecrunch posted:

Pretty sure it was canceled until Legendary was bought by a Chinese media conglomerate, since the first movie made a poo poo-ton of money there.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I hope Boyega gets to use his natural accent, but he probably won't. That poo poo really annoyed me in Pacific Rim.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Basebf555 posted:

I hope Boyega gets to use his natural accent, but he probably won't. That poo poo really annoyed me in Pacific Rim.

Especially since it was supposed to be a ragtag international bunch.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Especially since it was supposed to be a ragtag international bunch.

For some reason Hunnam's accent is much worse in Pacific Rim than it ever was in Sons of Anarchy.

It was nice to hear Elba in his natural voice though, and a white American protagonist is probably the price we had to pay to get an Asian lead actress.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1rM9LYcRWw

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Jeej is a competent director of adequate, derivative action movies that you can't think that too hard about. He's Renny Harlin. Every once in a while he can make a Long Kiss Goodnight land but for every one of those there's a couple of Die Hard 2s. He's a guy you bring in to make a third Mission Impossible movie.

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 11, 2016

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

jeej sounds like something people who call football "handegg" would say

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

TheScott2K posted:

Jeej is a competent director of adequate, derivative action movies that you can't think that too hard about. He's Renny Harlin. Every once in a while he can make a Long Kiss Goodnight land but for every one of those there's a couple of Die Hard 2s. He's a guy you bring in to make a third Mission Impossible movie.

i think renny harlin is much much better than j j abrams, in no small part because renny harlin never made Jud Süß in Space

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
EXPERIENCE JEEJ!

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Freakazoid_ posted:

EXPERIENCE JEEJ!

A pro Gowron post

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Homework Explainer posted:

i think renny harlin is much much better than j j abrams, in no small part because renny harlin never made Jud Süß in Space

JJ has also never made anything as good as Die Hard 2 or NOES 4.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

JJ Abrams has made loads of movies that are better than Die Hard 2 (because it loving sucks)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

cargohills posted:

JJ Abrams has made loads of movies that are better than Die Hard 2 (because it loving sucks)

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Die Hard 2 sucks, dude.

• Locked thread