Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

krushgroove posted:

It's a way better fit than Traxxas ever would have been, and it's much better than HPI going totally out of business.

Awesome, glad to hear it! I love some of HPI's offerings, so I'm stoked to hear its sunny ways ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I hope it means VTA tires get more consistent batch to batch :v:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

You Am I posted:

I heard about this about a month ago. HPI has been losing money and sadly had to get rid of its factory on road driver team. I hope they do come back strong again.

What you heard was probably 'Hobbico is buying HPI' or 'Traxxas is buying HPI', both of which are wrong. Hobbico is the North American distributor and that is it. They never looked at buying the company seriously. Traxxas at one point WAS a 'preferred bidder' and were quite a ways along the process of buying HPI, but they pulled out and Ripmax stepped right in. Most of the comments I've read online have been supportive and good, apart from the people interested in the Venture FJ, very few of which seem to understand that the company was pretty close to being shut down completely.

The Traxxas lawsuit that not many people know about is real but bullshit - they sued to protect their 'design' of a rubber seal around a receiver box (really? remember that US patent law is poo poo), which Axial, Armma and other RC kits have as well - but they're not being sued, are they? And who are they owned by? Traxxas's biggest distributor. Don't know if the lawsuit is only against HPI Inc, aka HPI USA, (if it was, that company is gone now) but we've already changed our electronics to be truly waterproof (receivers as well) so it's moot anyway, AND our products are now better.

HB is not involved in the sale and is not owned by Ripmax, HPI and HB have nothing to do with each other any more apart from some HB pieces like tires being in a few HPI kits. Don't know what's going to happen with HB and honestly don't care, HB is/was a money sink. It was an anchor around HPI's neck for years, and we're glad to be rid of it. Almost the entire HB off-road team is gone as well, by the way. There's other poo poo that was happening behind the scenes that would make your head spin...suffice to say there are people/companies in the RC industry that wanted the same thing to happen to HPI EU back when all this started, and let me take off my HPI hat and say gently caress them.

Like the press release says (and I wrote the first couple of drafts) it will be a few months before HPI is back up to speed, because suppliers need to be paid for things to get shipped, then a month or so for those things to reach customers. While that's happening the R&D guys in Cali will be working on getting new stuff finalized, so hopefully by the end of the year we'll have shipping dates for the Venture, Hoonicorn and other new kits.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jun 1, 2016

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

krushgroove posted:

What you heard was probably 'Hobbico is buying HPI' or 'Traxxas is buying HPI', both of which are wrong. Hobbico is the North American distributor and that is it. They never looked at buying the company seriously. Traxxas at one point WAS a 'preferred bidder' and were quite a ways along the process of buying HPI, but they pulled out and Ripmax stepped right in. Most of the comments I've read online have been supportive and good, apart from the people interested in the Venture FJ, very few of which seem to understand that the company was pretty close to being shut down completely.

The Traxxas lawsuit that not many people know about is real but bullshit - they sued to protect their 'design' of a rubber seal around a receiver box (really? remember that US patent law is poo poo), which Axial, Armma and other RC kits have as well - but they're not being sued, are they? And who are they owned by? Traxxas's biggest distributor. Don't know if the lawsuit is only against HPI Inc, aka HPI USA, (if it was, that company is gone now) but we've already changed our electronics to be truly waterproof (receivers as well) so it's moot anyway, AND our products are now better.

HB is not involved in the sale and is not owned by Ripmax, HPI and HB have nothing to do with each other any more apart from some HB pieces like tires being in a few HPI kits. Don't know what's going to happen with HB and honestly don't care, HB is/was a money sink. It was an anchor around HPI's neck for years, and we're glad to be rid of it. Almost the entire HB off-road team is gone as well, by the way. There's other poo poo that was happening behind the scenes that would make your head spin...suffice to say there are people/companies in the RC industry that wanted the same thing to happen to HPI EU back when all this started, and let me take off my HPI hat and say gently caress them.

Like the press release says (and I wrote the first couple of drafts) it will be a few months before HPI is back up to speed, because suppliers need to be paid for things to get shipped, then a month or so for those things to reach customers. While that's happening the R&D guys in Cali will be working on getting new stuff finalized, so hopefully by the end of the year we'll have shipping dates for the Venture, Hoonicorn and other new kits.

Glad to hear that after all the turmoil there finally appears to be a light at the end of the tunnel. Sorry for the stress I'm sure it caused. I've went through a possible buyout/owner change before with a previous company and it's a lovely thing. And in regards to many in the hobby being pieces of poo poo, well, I'm well aware of many of said people and I'm just involved with the media in limited capacity. Nice to hear that some of the good folks will stay employed!

Really hoping that you guys get your sea legs back under you and start to roll. I've always loved my HPI offerings!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I like hearing you speak unchained - haha. It does appear the RipMax thing will be good overall. The company culture of TRAXXAS compared to HPI would have been an ugly adjustment for team orange. As I understand it Traxxas guys are pretty much expected to put in ~80 hours a week. EDIT: And it is nice that you are no longer stuck with HB. Great product, but no way it is viable at all by itself. The race team budget is outrageous. Speaking with a former HB Racing designer he told me that the only way they stayed afloat was because HPI was so profitable.

So let's talk about the VEKTA.5 and how awesome it is. Pictures for your viewing pleasure:

The little sister Yeti XL

Somewhat Heroic fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 3, 2016

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I like hearing you speak unchained - haha. It does appear the RipMax thing will be good overall. The company culture of TRAXXAS compared to HPI would have been an ugly adjustment for team orange. As I understand it Traxxas guys are pretty much expected to put in ~80 hours a week. EDIT: And it is nice that you are no longer stuck with HB. Great product, but no way it is viable at all by itself. The race team budget is outrageous. Speaking with a former HB Racing designer he told me that the only way they stayed afloat was because HPI was so profitable.

So let's talk about the VEKTA.5 and how awesome it is. Pictures for your viewing pleasure:

The little sister Yeti XL

drat its sexy. So you need any Canadian testers? For climate purposes. Just send one up my way, I'll take good care of it :)

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Just ordered some RC Raven shock springs for my LST2. Everyone raves about them, so I'll see how they go. They are cheap and I needed to pick up some more fluid to refill my shocks anyway, so why not?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
If Traxxas had completed the sale I would have tried very hard to find a new job. I was already looking around (everyone was) but it would have been really poo poo. Who did you talk to, Torrance? He's back with HB but how long it's viable depends on their new situation, it's all different now. I do wonder what the people who were saying that the administration only affected HPI Europe are thinking now, though. HPI USA is gone, properly gone except for a few of the designers, with the HB team totally gutted and who knows what will happen to the products and the drivers.

That Vekta, though...drat. Very sexy.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Is there an affordable and durable brushless kit? I'm afraid I don't know much outside of Losi. A friend is asking because he is looking to get into the hobby again.

e: I assume he wants off-road and either 1/10 or 1/8, but I'm asking to make sure.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Looks like he is actually looking for a starter kit, so brushless is probably out.

I assume Traxxas is still a good, cheap brand? So, something like the Rustler, Slash, or Stampede are good choices?

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Kibner posted:

Looks like he is actually looking for a starter kit, so brushless is probably out.

I assume Traxxas is still a good, cheap brand? So, something like the Rustler, Slash, or Stampede are good choices?

All 3 are great. Slash is like the default "beat it senseless" basher. Tons of aftermarket support as well.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Siochain posted:

All 3 are great. Slash is like the default "beat it senseless" basher. Tons of aftermarket support as well.

Thanks! I am really uninformed about the R/C market at large. I'm a huge Losi fan because it was the second (and last) kit I built with my dad when I was a young kid and I had such a great time with it so they are kind of my default go-to.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Kibner posted:

Thanks! I am really uninformed about the R/C market at large. I'm a huge Losi fan because it was the second (and last) kit I built with my dad when I was a young kid and I had such a great time with it so they are kind of my default go-to.

There's a TON of great stuff out these days. Its loving awesome (and horrible for the wallet). It completely depends on what he wants.

1/10th basher? Slash is great
Want to move up to 1/8th? Arma Kraton or Talion (I have a talion, holy gently caress its fun - broken from a sudden impact with a tree doing about 45mph, but I can't blame it, stupid brother in law driving like a moron)
Tons of other options as well. But Traxxas has their poo poo everywhere, and parts are easy to find and cheap.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Scale speed, real pain. Broke my big toe marshalling a 1/10 17.5 touring car race.

rowebot44
Feb 21, 2006
I took a quick video of some nitro sprint cars out at Hot Rod Hobbies on Friday night.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASkvWSshUs4
These don't normally run out there but the Best of the West series were running on Saturday.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

IOwnCalculus posted:

Scale speed, real pain. Broke my big toe marshalling a 1/10 17.5 touring car race.

Holy poo poo, was that with fully covered shoes?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Vans, so both yes and no. It was a bit of a freak timing thing - I was running along one of the fire hoses to get a stuck car and another one managed to hit me dead on in the big toe right after I'd fully planted all of my weight on it. I've been zinged by cars before but usually with a foot up so it just kicks my foot over a bit.

I get to wear a giant plastic boot for the next six weeks or so but otherwise I'll be fine. I even ran one of my better USGT races immediately afterwards.

It does give me an excuse to stop using my old Vans as yard work / 'dirty' shoes, though. I'll get some proper boots, even if this is the first and only time I've been properly injured by an R/C car in two+ decades of on-and-off racing.

In sadder news, Novak is shutting down after 38 years. I'm guessing they aren't finding much margin thanks to the mass amount of cheap Chinese ESCs and motors that flood the market now. Still a shame, their refurb parts were still reasonably priced and the ancient Havoc 2S / 13.5 in my SC10 has amazing braking. The Novak RS in my 21.5 slick-tire car has minimal brakes, and the Hobbywing Justocks in my 21.5 USGT / 25.5 VTA cars have drat near zero brakes.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Sucks about your foot, one time I stopped an out-of-control nitro racer at the end of a short straight with my foot, and had a sore toe for a long time, but I never broke anything.

I did catch this at the Neo, though:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...412609524286221

(sorry for the Daily Fail link but it is funny, and only the second time I've seen something like that and I was lucky I was on the camera to catch it for the guys commentating)

IOwnCalculus posted:

In sadder news, Novak is shutting down after 38 years. I'm guessing they aren't finding much margin thanks to the mass amount of cheap Chinese ESCs and motors that flood the market now. Still a shame, their refurb parts were still reasonably priced and the ancient Havoc 2S / 13.5 in my SC10 has amazing braking. The Novak RS in my 21.5 slick-tire car has minimal brakes, and the Hobbywing Justocks in my 21.5 USGT / 25.5 VTA cars have drat near zero brakes.

It's funny, some people on the RC Car Action Facebook post about this are saying that it's California's minimum wage laws that caused Novak to go under, and others are saying that this is the same reason HPI was in trouble. As if anyone at Novak was making minimum wage anyway, they must have had, what, 2 or 3 people in the warehouse area that may have gotten a raise from the minimum wage bump?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

krushgroove posted:

Sucks about your foot, one time I stopped an out-of-control nitro racer at the end of a short straight with my foot, and had a sore toe for a long time, but I never broke anything.

I did catch this at the Neo, though:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...412609524286221

Ouch. At least I stayed upright or I would've suffered the same.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

IOwnCalculus posted:

I have plenty of brakes on my Hobbywing Justock ESC, that's bizarre. What brand of motor are you running? I have had no issues with Hobbywing or Orion motors where it comes to brakes. Might be worth updating the firmware on your Hobbywing ESC.

Sad to see Novak shut their doors, I always used their stuff in the brushed motor days, the GT7 ESC and the Millennium Pro charger. However they seemed to drop the ball in the brushless era, even though they were one of the first companies to move to brushless. The GTB was the ESC to own, but other brands like LRP, Orion, Tekin, Hobbywing and Much More seem to be more popular today in RC racing, at least onroad.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Replaced the original shock springs in my LST2 with dual rate ones from Raven RC and dumped the old shock fluid for heavier stuff (40wt). Will be headed to a friend's house today for some boardgames and will be running the truck in their yard while we wait for everyone to get there.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Is there anything I can adjust to keep the front-end of my Losi LST2-E down? Even after the initial acceleration, it looks like it rides too high and often loses grip with the ground.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

You Am I posted:

I have plenty of brakes on my Hobbywing Justock ESC, that's bizarre. What brand of motor are you running? I have had no issues with Hobbywing or Orion motors where it comes to brakes. Might be worth updating the firmware on your Hobbywing ESC.

Sad to see Novak shut their doors, I always used their stuff in the brushed motor days, the GT7 ESC and the Millennium Pro charger. However they seemed to drop the ball in the brushless era, even though they were one of the first companies to move to brushless. The GTB was the ESC to own, but other brands like LRP, Orion, Tekin, Hobbywing and Much More seem to be more popular today in RC racing, at least onroad.

Yeah, I had GTBs in several of my cars. Their Havoc systems were also popular in sportsman racing. They got passed by really fast though and basically were resting on their laurels. The last few years I can't think of one person I know that actually ran any of their stuff.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Another Monday Night parking lot bashfest

GoodIdea.jpg

A Wraith, believe it or not

whoops

oh god oh god oh god

An HPI Savage Flux HP with Kawasaki ATV rider body

Note: Poochie died on the way back to his home planet

balls swingin'

big soft ones

fin

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I love those ATV + Rider bodies. :allears:

I'm guessing Poochie was, in fact, totaled after hitting the earth from that jump?

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Kibner posted:

I love those ATV + Rider bodies. :allears:

I'm guessing Poochie was, in fact, totaled after hitting the earth from that jump?

Seeing the rider flip all over the handlebars was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Plus, he served as an impact absorber when landings didn't go quite as planned.

I can't remember what happened to the Slash, but he did at least 10 jumps like that. I'm constantly amazed at how much abuse those things can take once they get a few key upgrades.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

an AOL chatroom posted:

Seeing the rider flip all over the handlebars was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Plus, he served as an impact absorber when landings didn't go quite as planned.

I can't remember what happened to the Slash, but he did at least 10 jumps like that. I'm constantly amazed at how much abuse those things can take once they get a few key upgrades.

What are those "key upgrades"? I'm considering getting one in the future since I would like to share the fun, but don't really trust other people (or hell, even myself) to not wreck my LST2-E.

e: speaking of upgrades, does anyone have suggestions on good steering servos for the previously mentioned LST2-E?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
For more information, this is the servo I currently have: http://www.losi.com/Products/Features.aspx?ProdID=LOSB0812

Product Specifications posted:

Size Category: Standard
Type: Digital
Torque: 140 oz-in @ 6.0V
Speed: .18 sec/60 degrees @ 6.0V
Bushing Or Bearing: Bearing
Gear Type: Metal

I am looking at Savox servos right now. This one is probably overkill (it is more than twice as fast as the stock servo I'm using, but is also twice as expensive): http://www.savoxusa.com/Savox_SB2271SG_Digital_Servo_p/savsb2271sg.htm

Product Specifications posted:

Dimensions(mm): 40.3x20.2x38.5
Type: Digital - Brushless
Torque: 208.3 oz-in @ 6.0V
Speed: .085 sec/60 degrees @ 6.0V
Bushing Or Bearing: 2 Ball Bearings
Gear Type: Unique Steel

Kibner fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 21, 2016

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Kibner posted:

What are those "key upgrades"? I'm considering getting one in the future since I would like to share the fun, but don't really trust other people (or hell, even myself) to not wreck my LST2-E.

e: speaking of upgrades, does anyone have suggestions on good steering servos for the previously mentioned LST2-E?

Off the top of my head, aluminum shocks, RPM A-Arms, and a heavy-duty motor mount.

Bashing in a paved parking lot is pretty much guaranteed to result in some wreckage. There's always a curb or light post waiting to jump out in front of you, and asphalt is very unforgiving.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Also trees. Trees are a natural predator of RC's. Especially flying ones.
Not that I've got first-hand experience (okay, it was my brother-in-law driving and he turbofucked things, but, hey)

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Siochain posted:

Also trees. Trees are a natural predator of RC's. Especially flying ones.
Not that I've got first-hand experience (okay, it was my brother-in-law driving and he turbofucked things, but, hey)

I tried to ramp a tree root a while back. Hit it at an awkward angle while going too fast and hosed up multiple metal plates and rods. On the bright side, I learned a lot about how the kit goes together when fixing it!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
So, uhh, I just realized that I had accidentally been holding back the power in my truck. The transmitter has a throttle travel scale that goes from 0-150% and the default (what I was using) is only 100%. Same thing with the steering. So, now I turn better, too! When I'm not flipping, that is...

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Kibner posted:

I tried to ramp a tree root a while back. Hit it at an awkward angle while going too fast and hosed up multiple metal plates and rods. On the bright side, I learned a lot about how the kit goes together when fixing it!

He ramped off a big dirt berm (that I jump off of all the time) at a bad angle, tumbled it, and WHAM rear end right into a tree. I'm shocked all it did was break the wing and bend the shock tower.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Hi thread!

I hate doing a newbie to the hobby post but I really need help. I'm 40 and have always dreamed of having a nice rc car. Living in the city and being poor prevented me of doing so for the longest time. Now I live out of town and have access to miles of dirt roads, grass and even concrete so I could run anything as much as I want right there in front of my house.

But I am still not rich! I do have a budget and a big constraint: I must buy everything off of amazon canada. Bonus points if it is prime since I do have prime. I will be paying with a bunch of gift cards I got for my birthday in one week. I should have 300$ at a minimum and possibly up to 400$ who knows (have already 175$).

Also sometimes on amazon prices can be inflated a lot. Sometimes it's a best deal on the web. I find it difficult to know if some rc car on amazon is at a fair price for me in canada. So any input on my choices below about that are welcomed.

I have informed myself a lot! I think I get the difference between nitro, brushless and brushed motors. Obviously I would love the fastest coolest sturdiest rc ever but of course not!

The dream has always been a rc car that works on gas. When I was young that was the poo poo and it stuck with me. I am pretty good at learning stuff and working with my hands so am not affraid of having to "work" on my rc. That being said I am afraid of having to order nitro online or doing hour long drives to get some. I always thought these engines took normal fuel or some mixture like my chainsaw. But just learned I need to buy nitro. Also probably the price but I don't know there are many options on amazon.

So after watching a lot of videos I learned to accept the fact that there are electric motors as much/better performers then gas. And if the best option for me is some sort of electric rc thats ok. I do like conveniance it offers and I can always get into gas later. I do love the sound, blue smoke and smell tho.

As for the shape(?) givin my options anything thats versatile should do so buggy's, trucks, etc.. No race car since I will run it on dirt.

All that being said I have found and checked out some options on amazon canada.

Did not find anything by traxxas with nitro in my price range.

There is this guy. Sounds like a fantastic choice (have yet to find a traxxas hater) at a great price but it's also garanteed I'll crave something better very fast. It's a brushed motor if I am not mistaken. Hopefuly there is a better option for me since my budget is higher. or maybe that's the perfect one since it leaves room in my budget for a charger, better battery and upgrades? WOuld this car be able to become a great one down the road?
https://www.amazon.ca/Traxxas-24054-1-Bandit-Ready---Race/dp/B00OK3AD9G

This guy looks cool too but is quite more expensive. I cannot find out if the motor is brushless. If it's a fair price and a good model I might very well chose this:
https://www.amazon.ca/Traxxas-67054-1-Stampede-Ready---Race/dp/B00OK3A260

Then there is this guy and all it's incarnations in my amazon search results. This one is nitro. Looks cool, description sounds awesome for a ignorant fool like me. But I have no idea if the brand is good or what.:
https://www.amazon.ca/ALEKO%AE-1088U-Vertex-Powered-Monster/dp/B016YZ0WZM/

Lastly there are offerings from Team associated that I think I have seen mentioned in the thread. They seem somewhat less expansive then traxxas. One example I was looking at:
https://www.amazon.ca/Team-Associated-RC18B2-Brushless-Electric/dp/B004LBDSLW

Thanks in advance to everyone for the help. Hope I am not breaking some rule or being rude. Just want a rc!!!

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Iznogood posted:

Hi thread!

I hate doing a newbie to the hobby post but I really need help. I'm 40 and have always dreamed of having a nice rc car. Living in the city and being poor prevented me of doing so for the longest time. Now I live out of town and have access to miles of dirt roads, grass and even concrete so I could run anything as much as I want right there in front of my house.

But I am still not rich! I do have a budget and a big constraint: I must buy everything off of amazon canada. Bonus points if it is prime since I do have prime. I will be paying with a bunch of gift cards I got for my birthday in one week. I should have 300$ at a minimum and possibly up to 400$ who knows (have already 175$).

How goes fellow Canuck! Where abouts are you located?

Amazon's actually fairly decent for prices. We get shafted compared to the US, but its okay.

There are actual gas RC's, along with Nitro - 2 different beats. However, neither of them are a great option at low cost, unless you can get a used one. Electric is actually insanely fun, and they go like hell without needing to worry about tuning them, etc.

Now, in terms of recommending an RC - what do you want to do? Just race up and down the road? Go through mud? Jump? Do scaling/crawling (ie trails, rocks, etc)?

Out of what you linked, the Stampede is a decent all-around choice. Monster trucks are fun, tend to be built solidly, and go fast for their size. Its also waterproof (water resistant, proof is a lie, but you can puddle/mud drive, etc. with it). I think the Bandit and the 20108 might disappoint you.

Some other, more season people, can comment as well, but out of what you've linked, the Stampede is the only one I'd consider. I just got into the hobby last year, and I'm...in deep. But I've been buying used primarily, so have gotten some great deals.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Siochain posted:

How goes fellow Canuck! Where abouts are you located?

Amazon's actually fairly decent for prices. We get shafted compared to the US, but its okay.

There are actual gas RC's, along with Nitro - 2 different beats. However, neither of them are a great option at low cost, unless you can get a used one. Electric is actually insanely fun, and they go like hell without needing to worry about tuning them, etc.

Now, in terms of recommending an RC - what do you want to do? Just race up and down the road? Go through mud? Jump? Do scaling/crawling (ie trails, rocks, etc)?

Out of what you linked, the Stampede is a decent all-around choice. Monster trucks are fun, tend to be built solidly, and go fast for their size. Its also waterproof (water resistant, proof is a lie, but you can puddle/mud drive, etc. with it). I think the Bandit and the 20108 might disappoint you.

Some other, more season people, can comment as well, but out of what you've linked, the Stampede is the only one I'd consider. I just got into the hobby last year, and I'm...in deep. But I've been buying used primarily, so have gotten some great deals.

I'm in Quebec 40 minutes south of Montreal. As for your question: I don't want to do anything "extreme" or niche. No rock clinbing or drifting. I kind of want to go up and down the street and in grass/dirt. I can live without going thru mud. So yeah basic "have fun".

All I could add is that what draws me to this hobby is the thinkering, upgrading and tuning stuff. I am just a realist that realises that I have a budget and am new. So I don't want to overshoot but don't want to feel like I bought a 50$ cheap rc car at walmart.

Thanks for the anwser!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
The Traxxas Slash is also a good one. This is the only one I could find on Amazon.ca that fits your criteria: https://www.amazon.ca/Traxxas-TRA58034-2-2-4Ghz-Battery%252c-Charger%252c/dp/B017A5O7VK/ref=sr_1_20?s=toys&ie=UTF8&qid=1467990937&sr=1-20

e: The Slash is built so that you can upgrade it to brushless with minimal hassle when you are ready. I think the Stampeded is, too, but not 100% on that.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.amazon.com/Arrma-Ar102604-Granite-Mega-Truck/dp/B00LPIF434/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467991404&sr=8-1&keywords=arrma

or

https://www.amazon.com/ECX-Ruckus-Monster-Charcoal-Silver/dp/B0144Z1BV8/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1467991457&sr=8-16&keywords=ecx

and spend the rest on batteries and upgrades!

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Iznogood posted:

I'm in Quebec 40 minutes south of Montreal. As for your question: I don't want to do anything "extreme" or niche. No rock clinbing or drifting. I kind of want to go up and down the street and in grass/dirt. I can live without going thru mud. So yeah basic "have fun".

All I could add is that what draws me to this hobby is the thinkering, upgrading and tuning stuff. I am just a realist that realises that I have a budget and am new. So I don't want to overshoot but don't want to feel like I bought a 50$ cheap rc car at walmart.

Thanks for the anwser!

Ah, bonjour! I'm in NE Ontario, just west of the Quebec border (and my french sucks, but I can survive ahah).

Kibner's recommendation of a Slash is actually spot-on. There are MILLIONS of upgrades for them, but right out of the box they are incredibly tough. A brushed motor is fine to start with - not quite as fast, but they can get wet and take a beating without caring.

Make sure to factor in getting at least a second battery, and likely a better charger (even units that come with chargers, the charger usually sucks - read reviews to find out). You may also want to get a cheap toolkit to start with like this: https://www.amazon.ca/Duratrax-19--Tool-Pouch-Traxxas/dp/B00CFVVWLS/ref=sr_1_3?s=toys&ie=UTF8&qid=1467991680&sr=1-3&keywords=rc+tool

Other things can be bought later, but that's a great starter kit, and lets you take apart and clean your RC.

edit - one thing of note. The slash is awesome, but the Stampede has a bit higher ground clearance, so if you are going through deep grass, it'll be better. Rolls a little easier though, so if you want to rip around making sick turns the slash might be better. Both are great choices.

Siochain fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Arrma is here on .ca - https://www.amazon.ca/Arrma-Ar102604-Granite-Mega-Truck/dp/B00LPIF434/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1467992228&sr=8-2&keywords=arrma
I've got the Talion from them, GREAT vehicle. Excellent recommendation by Oz with the Granite.

Ruckus is here on .ca - https://www.amazon.ca/ECX-Ruckus-4WD-Monster-Truck/dp/B01A9PSX6S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1467992490&sr=8-2&keywords=ecx+ruckus
Also good, but at a weird $100 more than it should be, the Arrma would be a better buy.