Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
I, Pash, oath for the month of June my Guild ball masons team, consisting of: Honour, Harmony, Mallet, Tower, Brick, Marbles, Flint, Chisel, and the Ball.

Note they are Zenithal primed.

And here is my desk for spring cleaning:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I, moths, oath 20x Marauder Dark Elf Spearmen, 10x Marauder Witch Elves, 4x Citadel Epic Thunderbolt Fighters, 2x Citadel Epic Marauder Bombers, and an Epic Knight Paladin

Note that I'm not currently oathing any shields for the Spearmen - I haven't sorted out what I want to do for them yet.

(The bombers aren't Marauder figures - they're Citadel figures named "Marauder Bombers.")

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

goodness posted:

What are some websites to check out "heroic scale" miniatures? The malifaux one has some good options but I don't know any others. (US shipping if that matters)

I actually use google image search when I look for miniatures, and try out various search terms. Just fiddle around, testing with 28mm and 32mm if you are looking for "heroic scale".

Just the other week I found some cool vikings from a Russian company this way, that I didn't know about.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
For June, I, Electric Hobo, oath the Wolfman, the Dwarf Chieftain, the Darkelf, the Valkyrie, the Soldier of Hel and the Völur Witch. From Blood Rage by CMoN.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Taft Punk posted:

I, Taft Punk, Oath that I will paint these models:

Privateer Press's War Machine's Protectorate of Menoth's Choir and Reckoners
Guild Ball's Butchers' Guild's Ox

With Mk. III bringing Menoth Christmas early this year, I figured it was time to join the "Choir!" #squadgoals for this one, and they'll be seeing table play before the paint is fully dry.

Ox is an addition because I owe someone his Butcher's Guild fully painted, and to fulfill the Summer relaxing theme challenge.
If you can give a count of your models in the text of your oath that would be helpful for us when filling out the spreadsheet
Also I enjoyed your Trogdor but really have to limit what I say about the Oaths, just in case!

malal posted:

Ok, I've had a few set backs.
First, I thought June was the terrain month, so I started fighting the Tempestus Firebase. Realizing my error, I switched to Dark Eldar.
I assembled many models, but I've realized that the Raiders require pre-painting before assembly, something I'm not accustomed to.
Adding salt to the wound, the Hellion Skyboard models are some of the best models I've assembled, second only to the recent Flash Gits. (they really are a work of art.) I'd like to give them the time they need.

Anywho, I'm pledging 18 Killa Kans and 1 Deff Dredd.

I oath 18 Killa Kans and 1 Deff Dread

Should be an easy job.

LordAba posted:

I, Lord Aba, oath the following: 6 rending warriors, 6 sword warriors, 2 gun warriors and 1 broodlord (Games workshop, 28mm scale)

Lemme know if the picture is too dark. Tyranid warriors are some of my favorite models to paint, so this should go quick despite the number!

Ilor posted:

I, Ilor, oath these two Infinity Models (Corvus Belli) - one Hassassin Barid Hacker and one Hassassin Fiday.

Business Gorillas posted:

:radcat: I, Business Gorillas, oath one (1) Savage Orc Shaman and four (4) Dwarf Ironbreakers. :radcat:
I'm going for #squadgoals via the Ironbreakers and the technical challenge with the shaman.

head58 posted:

I, head58, oath Supreme Archdomina Makeda, Orin Midwinter and a Cyclops Shaman from Privateer Press (Skorne). The first 2 are 30mm and the cyclops is 40.

Hopefully I'll have another model soon to add for the June challenge.
If you can give a count of your models in the text of your oath that would be helpful for us when filling out the spreadsheet

Flippycunt posted:

I, Flippycunt, Oath to paint these 8 Viking spearmen dudes from Gripping Beast and also these two Victrix Napoleonic Frenchmen

chutche2 posted:

I, chutche2, oath to paint Kommandant Irusk, as well as a unit of Iron Fang Pikemen with both sets of banners and magnetized shields, and an Iron Fang Kovnik.

I reserve the right to not fully paint both sets of shields because I may have lost one or two, since I never fielded them as regular pikemen, only as Black Dragon pikemen. I'll paint everything I can find.

Finished photos will hopefully be with a better camera. Capes and shoulder pads are still in their box.

Pash posted:

I, Pash, oath for the month of June my Guild ball masons team, consisting of: Honour, Harmony, Mallet, Tower, Brick, Marbles, Flint, Chisel, and the Ball.

Note they are Zenithal primed.

moths posted:

I, moths, oath 20x Marauder Dark Elf Spearmen, 10x Marauder Witch Elves, 4x Citadel Epic Thunderbolt Fighters, 2x Citadel Epic Marauder Bombers, and an Epic Knight Paladin

Note that I'm not currently oathing any shields for the Spearmen - I haven't sorted out what I want to do for them yet.

(The bombers aren't Marauder figures - they're Citadel figures named "Marauder Bombers.")

Electric Hobo posted:

For June, I, Electric Hobo, oath the Wolfman, the Dwarf Chieftain, the Darkelf, the Valkyrie, the Soldier of Hel and the Völur Witch. From Blood Rage by CMoN.
Oaths Accepted!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

goodness posted:

What are some websites to check out "heroic scale" miniatures? The malifaux one has some good options but I don't know any others. (US shipping if that matters)

Reaper has a lot of Heroc scale stuff, some of it even out-heroics GW stuff - https://www.reapermini.com/

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

krushgroove posted:

Would you look at this? I've got the photo album for May uploaded just 2 days into June!

LATEST PHOTO ALBUM!!
for MAY:
Google Photos: https://goo.gl/photos/9AVDTvpN1jK7xaBFA
Imgur: http://imgur.com/a/zCvPI

My pictures are the first in the Imgur album but look like they're missing from the Google album.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I, Zark the Damned, oath the following for June 2016:

1 Basilisk, 1 Orruk Megaboss, 5 Orruk Brutes, 28mm by Games Workshop
1 Thrudd the Barbarian, 28mm by Heresy Miniatures
1 Tarzan, 1 Jane, 1 Mini-Rex and 6 assorted Space Princesses, 32mm by Tin Man Miniatures
1 Dinosaur, unknown scale and manufacturer (being ridden by one of the princesses)

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Welp, that's what I get for leaving things unfinished. Let's start small this time:

I, Pierzak, oath for June 2016 one Malifaux December Acolyte:

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Flippycunt posted:

I, Flippycunt, Oath to paint these 8 Viking spearmen dudes from Gripping Beast and also these two Victrix Napoleonic Frenchmen

I look forward to murdering these dudes next Frostgrave day.

The Vikings, not the French dudes.

It'll be nice to play with two painted forces!

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
Some more questions!

I read the OP, and there are many references to "save the whales" achievement, but I don't see the actual achievement. What is "save the whales?"

Second, I'm gonna post WIP pictures for rust here in a bit, and I'd like to claim speed painting for the model. Is it ok to use the posture from my original oath as a start time? (I'll have a finished picture well within 24 hours of my Oath post.)

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

malal posted:

Some more questions!

I read the OP, and there are many references to "save the whales" achievement, but I don't see the actual achievement. What is "save the whales?"

Second, I'm gonna post WIP pictures for rust here in a bit, and I'd like to claim speed painting for the model. Is it ok to use the posture from my original oath as a start time? (I'll have a finished picture well within 24 hours of my Oath post.)

Save the Whales isn't an achievement as such, it's a bonus thing run by Leperflesh to encourage people to go back and finish what they started.

And using your original Oath pic as the start date is fine, a lot of people do that :)

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Welp, broke a finger on my dominant hand last night. This months oath is gonna be reeeeeeal interesting.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
hey all! I figured I'd knock out the WIP photos and speed painting achievements, while writing a handy tutorial on quick and easy rust effects! (I'll obviously include the achivements in my OATH COMPLETE post. which I need to add to, I forgot this months challenge!)

First up, I give the model a thorough black prime, them "mist" it with a metallic paint. I have used other brands of mettalic paint, however this is one of the areas that GW rattle-cans excel at. I used the boltgun metal spray.

Next, you need a stiff bristle brush. (sometimes called a boar brush.) luckily these are very cheap, any hobby store carries them in many sizes.

Using the boar brush is different then a regular brush. you "stab" the model, rather then making normal brush strokes. This is a good reason to buy cheap brushes for this technique, it destroys them quickly. (I mention this because you can buy actual boar-bristle brushes, and they can get costly!)
Start with a deep dark-chocolate brown, and cover at least 50% of the model. the more erratic the placement, the better. use rust reference photos to get an idea of the effect you want.
I also tend to use cheap paint for this, it uses a lot more paint then even drybrushing.

Next, pick a lighter shade of brown and repeat the same technique, but slightly smaller in coverage.

same technique, lighter shade again. you are going for texture more then anything.

lastly, I finish with either a red or yellow highlight again using the boar brush. the choice of yellow or red depends on what the base coat of the finished model is going to be. for my Killa Kans, I want to use a military green color so yellow is the preferred rust color. no matter the color choice for the finished model, make sure its a lighter color then your last shade used.

I find that rust effects (along with large speed paint projects) work best when you take a moment from time to time to view the total Mob from a distance. I'll modify the rust as needed looking at the unit as a whole. here's my first six Killa Kans with the rust. (and a Deff Dread hiding in the back!)

Now that you have completed the rust, you have a few options to proceed. I'll be using regular brushes, but if you airbrush there's something called the "salt resist" technique. Ill talk about it briefly at the end of the post.

For the using brushes, start with your base color. when applying it, be aware that the strokes can add to the texture you want. I like the look of "hand painted," but even if its an imperial vehicle use the existing rust to make a texture you want.
I started with a green base.

Once I had that done, I did some basic highlights.

next I picked out some details and painted the horns.

Lastly, I finished the base and called it good!

For posterity, here is my completion picture for speed painting. I'll of course include it in the final Oath Complete! post.

If you use an airbrush, "salt resist" is an awesome technique. you use course salt, table salt, and water. mix it together, and dab it in place on the model everywhere you want the rust to be visible. let it fully dry, then airbrush you base coat (and highlights if you have the stones.) once the model is fully dry, simply use a drybrush to knock off the salt. it makes a mess, so do it over a sink. you get an awesome chipped paint effect from it, I find it really gives a cleaner rust effect if tha'ts what you are going for.

as always, practice on something other then you grand opus if this is the first time using any of these techniques!!!

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I, jadebullet, oath one Eldar Corsair Prince(ss) on Jetbike for June(while my forlorn plague marine WIP looks on from atop the printer)

Oath addition. A Cultist and Ogryn

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 4, 2016

Hummingbird James
Jan 3, 2013
I, Hummingbird James, oath one (1) Alpha Legion Contemptor Dreadnought from Forge World, with a FW Kheres Assault Cannon and what is soon to be a butchered Kheres Assault Cannon arm from the Betrayal at Calth set.

I did have two proper resin Kheres, but like an idiot, I appear to have lost two of the barrel pairs. Since I don't have the time, skill or patience to try and cast new ones I'm just going to use this Kheres arm I wasn't going to use anyway.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Welp, broke a finger on my dominant hand last night. This months oath is gonna be reeeeeeal interesting.

Two words: Perry brothers.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

LordAba posted:

Two words: Perry brothers.

That's what I call tossing the gauntlet.

You really wanna remind this forum poster that one of the Perrys lost his HAND in a cannon, and still manages to be one of the best sculptors of our generation?

Actually, kudos! Get back on the horse, soldier. Hold the brush different, or paint with your toes.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The first model that he sculpted with his left hand after losing his right:

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

malal posted:

That's what I call tossing the gauntlet.

You really wanna remind this forum poster that one of the Perrys lost his HAND in a cannon, and still manages to be one of the best sculptors of our generation?

Actually, kudos! Get back on the horse, soldier. Hold the brush different, or paint with your toes.

Haha, actually when I realized my hand was gonna be hosed up for a while and considering painting things is one of my favorite ways to de-stress and relax I totally thought of Michael Perry. He's my spirit animal until the splint comes off, and I think I'll do the WIP photo achievement thing to document for all of you my struggles in either figuring out a technique to work around the bandages or just attempting to paint things right handed. Oath is by no means over!

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

TTerrible posted:

The first model that he sculpted with his left hand after losing his right:

poo poo, I knew the story but not the model after the cannon accident.

That's got to be one of the best models ever sculpted.

E: posted before I saw your post, tallkidwithglasses. That's the spirit!!!!

Reubenesque Sandwich fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 4, 2016

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

malal posted:

poo poo, I knew the story but not the model after the cannon accident.

That's got to be one of the best models ever sculpted.

Yup, totally crazy.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
RIP Bretonnia.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Yup, the Green Knight certainly ranks in the best minis of all time. Too bad GW are too blinkered to see what they're throwing away.

Also, an interim update, I speed painted Thrud (I'll include this in the completion post too):

I was going for box art too, however that model is no longer available on the Heresy Website, so I took a pic of the advert from the back of the last comic. Hope that counts!

Scowny
Jul 11, 2006

Nice guy, that Kharne
I, Scowny, oath to paint Autillon Skorr (Forgeworld 28mm) in June

My basic plan I think is gonna be paint something Alpha Legion and also something that meets the challenge. Got a Scibor barbarian on the way, hopefully I'll have enough time to get him painted too!

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
June oaths! 4 Brigadas, 2 Bog Trog Trawlers, 1 Bog Trog Mist Speaker, 4 Undercity Heroes + Steamjack, a Brigand Leader, a Cephalyx, and a Monstrosity.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I Grey Hunter, Oath the Bound By Law set - Lucias, Captain Dacel, 2 Guild Guards and 2 Guild Lawyers for Malifaux (Wyrd Miniatures, 28mm) and Schnörkel the Avenger from Mantic's Dreadball (28mm)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Galaga Galaxian oaths these two Guild Ball Masons. Brick the Centre Back and LE Alt Flint the Goal-scoring Superstar Hero

:mason:

LewdMonocle
Mar 8, 2007
A little more ambitious this month. I, LewdMonocle Oath 6 ArenaRex dudes(32mm), 4 PrivateerPress 28mm, and 2 frostgrave models 28mm

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
I, JackMack, oath for the month of June, five EM4 future skirmish savages and one Copplestone casting wasteland desperado

I also intend to spring clean my hobby cabin this month.

It is like a where's wally of miniatures on my desk. See if you can find, an old imperial assassin, this months oath, last months oath and an Element Games courtesy mint. Also Zark the Damned can see the dreadnoughts he kindly sent me.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I, KPC_Mammon, oath for the month of June three Brute thralls and a Skarlock Commander from PrivateerPress.

I'm hoping the Brute Thralls will qualify for this month's technical challenge--they aren't even wearing pants, let alone a shirt!

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
I, Uroboros, oath a Librarian in Terminatorarmor. I've also got a Terminator Captain in the picture but I only have ten days to paint this so I figured I'd focus on one. I plan on going the extra mile by following the 'eavy metal guide step by step and then compare it to my normal steps for the Captain and see how much of an improvement I can make.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I, rkajdi, oath for the month of June a House Vyre Myrmidon kit from Privateer Press.

Holding off on my inevitable Fats Dominar submission until I get another heavy myrmidon done for the MKIII release.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
Completely missed my last oath, partly due to a death in the family, the resulting funeral and a well-timed break up. April wasn't a great time.

So here's my June oath, and I'm hoping to actually do it this time, as it should be pretty easy.

I, glitchkrieg, oath for the month of June, 5 Terminators from River Horse Studio

Primed black with white zenithal.

And if I don't fail to get those paint another I'll probably post another.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Waiting for a day with <70% humidity so I can prime. Might be a while. I live in Georgia. I can knock these out in 3 or 4 sessions if I can just get them primed.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
For June I, Galaspar, oath one Space Marine Praetor (mostly Forgeworld) and one Squat Commander (GW)

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
For June, I Indolent Bastard oath 1 Reaper Miniatures Wizard, 1 unknown mini Wizard's Apprentice, and 1 old school unknown mini Female Barbarian.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

I counterspin oath Wrongeye, Snapjaw, and Hakaar, all from Hordes. Gator buddies are primed black, Hakaar is primed Coal Black.

counterspin fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 6, 2016

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016
I, TheFinalTuba, do hereby Oath the following for June:
3x Rooster Riders
Merris LaCroix
Gracie
Mancha Roja

I've been in a big Malifaux mood lately I guess :) (Wyrd Games, 28mm)

Manchaaaaaaa Rojaaaaaaaa!

TheFinalTuba fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Ok posting a couple WIP photos to contribute for the achievement. The finger is definitely annoying, but it isn't stopping me from anything so far. I haven't gotten to the fine detail though.

I started by airbrushing some cardboard to see what it'd be like to work with a splint.

I broke my ring finger, so I have my usual paintbrush-holding fingers available, but the splint has been occasionally getting in the way of things, I can't really grip as firmly as usual and it gets sore over time or if I brace against it.

Silver on the bikes:

Base coat and broad highlight:

Wash and a little attempted cleanup:

• Locked thread