Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

#fact

Nice to not put that in any context or anything Piers...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

James Garfield posted:

Racism, the noted concept invented by tumblr in 2015

I thought Trotsky created it?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Bill Kristol is an astonishingly wrong man. I mean, I thought it was a joke at first, but as time goes on this guy is just always, always wrong. It's inexplicable. It's like he lost the lottery with each number one digit too high.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Crowsbeak posted:

I thought Trotsky created it?

Obama, in conjunction with Soros

wake UP sheeple

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

lite_sleepr posted:

:lol: the last 3 pages saw the word racis(t)(m) used 65 times

This is how I imagine people post in this thread: :sissies:

How sad is it that you counted?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

The Larch posted:

How sad is it that you counted?

If you do ctrl+f for the word it'll tell you how many times it shows up on that page. Not quite as sad

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

If you do ctrl+f for the word it'll tell you how many times it shows up on that page. Not quite as sad

He still has to add the three pages together.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I have a feeling French found out about his hat being tossed into the ring at the exact same moment everyone else did. Bill Kristol is honestly that stupid.

French spent a while week fighting a fundamental law of existence. It's actually very impressive. But in the end, the speed of light can no more change in a vacuum than Bill Bristol can be right.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Also, I assume, filter out repeats of the word from quoted posts

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
What happens if Bill Kristol and Dick Morris disagree on a true-false question?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

James Garfield posted:

Go away Buddhist monk, we're talking about racism.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

James Garfield posted:

They surrender.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

James Garfield posted:

A third correct option is spontaneously created.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

I just saw the picture and was briefly disappointed that Bob Mould wasn't running for president.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
ahahah so remember the other day when Trump was proudly showing off "his African American" and his rally? Turns out the dude isn't even a Trump supporter. He's been going to rallies for both the Dems and Republicans out of curiosity.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

ahahah so remember the other day when Trump was proudly showing off "his African American" and his rally? Turns out the dude isn't even a Trump supporter. He's been going to rallies for both the Dems and Republicans out of curiosity.

Probably a little less uncertain about things now

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Reason and the liberal Free Speech Luminaries are going to be all over thiMFFFFGRLHAHAHA I can't even,

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Amazing

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Kokoro Wish posted:

It's not just an internet phenomenon really. The Domocratic party in particular is making some toxic use of ID politics and have been since maybe 2003-5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeiPVPEtino&t=128s

Interesting article on the subject

Entire thread needs to familiarize themselves with these things. That is all.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Does Pier's support Trump, or is this just another step in his ' Let my white, British rear end condescend to you about black culture and race relations in the US' parade?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Kokoro Wish posted:

It's not just an internet phenomenon really. The Domocratic party in particular is making some toxic use of ID politics and have been since maybe 2003-5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeiPVPEtino&t=128s

Interesting article on the subject

acting like this is anything new is loving retarded hope this help

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Teddybear posted:

Bill Kristol is an astonishingly wrong man. I mean, I thought it was a joke at first, but as time goes on this guy is just always, always wrong. It's inexplicable. It's like he lost the lottery with each number one digit too high.

Just think, somewhere out there in the quantum universe is a reality where he's been nothing but right.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

citybeatnik posted:

Just think, somewhere out there in the quantum universe is a reality where he's been nothing but right.

There's also one where Hitler did nothing wrong.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

DemeaninDemon posted:

There's also one where Hitler did nothing wrong.

Likely the same universe.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Crowsbeak posted:

I was asking for why he felt the left should oppose it. Not why the National Review would.
The Thirteenth Amendment forbids involuntary servitude save as punishment for a duly convicted crime. :v:

Again, it depends on the scenario. Something like a wider Americorps in exchange for student loan forgiveness while providing room, board, insurance and a stipend? Sounds wonderful to me. "Nebulous desire to make Those Kids do Hard Work in order to Become Nebulously More American," this I'm not convinced on.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Nessus posted:

The Thirteenth Amendment forbids involuntary servitude save as punishment for a duly convicted crime. :v:

Again, it depends on the scenario. Something like a wider Americorps in exchange for student loan forgiveness while providing room, board, insurance and a stipend? Sounds wonderful to me. "Nebulous desire to make Those Kids do Hard Work in order to Become Nebulously More American," this I'm not convinced on.

Why not both? Also that argument I have heard made by tax whiners.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Crowsbeak posted:

Why not both? Also that argument I have heard made by tax whiners.
I think you'd have a more compelling Constitutional case if it's "if you are between ages X and Y, you're being required to join this labor program."

What's the benefit of making Those Kids do Hard Work? Sell me on this. Is it to save money on hiring other workers to do it? What's the lesson you're teaching them about their government there? If this is meant to be an educational program, what's your curriculum, what's your planned goal?

e: To be clear, subsidized apprenticeships or something, that'd be great; you can make these things work, but I feel like a lot of these proposed programs are meant to be punitive (teaching Those Kids how to Love America) first and foremost.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 6, 2016

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Who would have guessed that a guy who didn't have a wikipedia entry a week and a half ago isn't running for President.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

Job skills like getting used to going to work on time and following work policies are useful lifeskills, but regular school teaches those pretty well. And special education often makes sure to teach those skills specifically.

Government youth work programs are not something I'm a fan of, and it reminds me of that time Newt Gingrich said schoolkids in poor neighborhoods should clean the school to learn the "dignity of work." The implicit message feeding into all kinds of stereotypes.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Nessus posted:

I think you'd have a more compelling Constitutional case if it's "if you are between ages X and Y, you're being required to join this labor program."

What's the benefit of making Those Kids do Hard Work? Sell me on this. Is it to save money on hiring other workers to do it? What's the lesson you're teaching them about their government there? If this is meant to be an educational program, what's your curriculum, what's your planned goal?

e: To be clear, subsidized apprenticeships or something, that'd be great; you can make these things work, but I feel like a lot of these proposed programs are meant to be punitive (teaching Those Kids how to Love America) first and foremost.

Remind me why is taking pride in ones country bad. Well I can see if one is an extreme individualist one might think so but then extreme individualism is what gets us tax whiners, and Sovcits.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

lite_sleepr posted:

:lol: the last 3 pages saw the word racis(t)(m) used 65 times

This is how I imagine people post in this thread: :sissies:

Shockingly, aggressive public racism from the GOP presidential nominee prompts discussion of same in US politics thread.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

Crowsbeak posted:

Remind me why is taking pride in ones country bad. Well I can see if one is an extreme individualist one might think so but then extreme individualism is what gets us tax whiners, and Sovcits.

Your a dumbass.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Wow Lowtax has made a lot of money off you.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

gently caress Israel is the worst goddamn country and I wish Obama was president for life simply because he's the only chance we'd have of dumping that worthless country to the curb.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

You're*

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Whole it is fundamentally un-American, I'm a fan of Rousseau so having the government play an active role in shaping the souls of its citizens is something I'm OK with.

Arguments for federal service basically stem from that line of thinking.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Meg please go reread amergin posts. He's so much better than you at this. He's Kershaw and you're not even playing A short season.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

Can you elaborate? Even if it is more complicated to manage, the increased convenience, lowered costs, and increased turnout is worth it. Vote by mail is wildly popular in Oregon, Washington, and Colorado, and there has been no evidence of voter fraud being a serious problem.

It's just a mess on the back end to manage -- as someone who's canvassed votes, I am sensitive to that.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Nessus posted:

As an admitted Americorps partisan and alum, by far the best dividend of (ideally implemented) mandatory post-high school national service is in forcibly exposing the program participants to segments of American society they would not otherwise consider or interact with rather than in the products of the work itself. A year of close, intense, demanding work with a small, very diverse team of peers betters everyone involved and makes retaining prejudice literally next to impossible, especially if the service involves a social dimension, which in current Americorps is all service. Plus, Americorps pushes a professional development curriculum very hard; we had regular personal finance seminars, resume-building workshops, etc. They leverage corporate sponsorship hard for preferential networking and internship opportunities.

That's not to say the work isn't or shouldn't be meaningful, but it's def. not the primum bonum, at least w/r/t making it mandatory. The main goal is guaranteeing as part of growing up American a genuine prolonged perspective-exploding experience of The Other, whoever that Other may be for you, and forcing you to accept, love, and rely on that Other if for no other reason than sheer, emotionally-draining, 60-hours-per-week exhaustion. And then getting hosed up at parties with and snuck into bars by the Other on the weekend :allears:

Speaking of those sponsors, the weaknesses to this formulation of national service are pretty apparent and large. It's a relatively expensive program funded 33/33/33 by government, corporate sponsorship, and private donation, and that would really only get worse with more administrative overhead. It's presently both very selective and self-selective, meaning that the vast majority of program participants are enthusiastic about being there and those who find it miserable exit quickly. Americorps would definitely be a hard, hard sell to the greater hordes of uncouth youth.

Corporate sponsors will typically as part of their contribution fund a service project and encourage/coerce their employees to do a volunteering day--does this count as reverse-corvee? I once led a work party of Capital One suits breaking up scrub for a new urban garden. :v:

Anyway, in an ideal theoretical scheme I think the corvee labor issue is sidestepped if you keep national service confined to the scope of government, volunteer, and government-funded-nonprofit work. A mandatory national service program could theoretically be designed to interface with a similar expansion of NPOs, community organizations, arts centers, etc. that would both utilize the greatly expanded temporary-term labor force and provide employment and specialization opportunities to eat up qualified alums, if you want to go big-government ham on conjuring a massive social services employment sector from thin air. You'd probably end up with an education/HHS/HUD budget larger than defense on your balance sheet, but :shrug:

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jun 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Citizenship Guarantees Service!

• Locked thread