Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
He's been in public places, and he's strong enough that no one could stop him from going on a killing spree, so from that alone we can conclude that he doesn't just kill people totally randomly. He has to be in the mood, and one of those moods is when people think they're good at not being killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, it was less "withdrawal" and more that the encounter with Kurapika and Leorio... "Excited" him too much and he couldn't control himself afterward. He presumably doesn't need to be killing people constantly.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Anyway, personally I think it's pretty clear that the author read through every Hisoka scene in the manga and put together a scenario where he could do most of that at the same time. Like, copying someone else's juggling is something he did to that shmuck way back in the Hunter Exam, right before killing him. Which ultimately makes it a fairly derivative work that plays it too safe to actually answer any questions about Hisoka, but is also mostly faithful.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

its bad! its gay! i hate it!!!! gently caress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

but really its more uninspired than the two movies which is like why even bother(Besides money).

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

its bad! its gay! i hate it!!!! gently caress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this comic is a shitload of gently caress. i'd rather have a buffalo take a diarrhea dump in my ear than read this comic. its so suck it fucks. its so gently caress it sucks.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

who cares about his origin anyway

this comics neat because its another hisoka story

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

but really its more uninspired than the two movies which is like why even bother(Besides money).

The two movies are actively terrible in a way this chapter wasn't, though. Phantom Rouge (shouldn't it be Phantom Rogue?) had them fighting copies of the same enemies from the Yorknew arc instead of introducing new abilities, and ended with our heroes standing aside to let a little girl commit suicide. The Last Mission had an evil bizarro-Nen fueled by hatred (even though normal Nen can be fueled by hatred anyway), and has basically the same plot as all the Bleach fillers, with Netero standing in for Yamamoto.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

yeah but those have the advantage of making you feel anger. This is just 100% eh.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Oh, I get what hisoka's going to do.

He's going to turn Chrollo's arms into flower petals.

He was reluctant to use that power because not everyone's seen the anime.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tunicate posted:

Oh, I get what hisoka's going to do.

He's going to turn Chrollo's arms into flower petals.

He was reluctant to use that power because not everyone's seen the anime.

Oh god, I forgot about that; the rest of the series is so good I forgot how ridiculous some of the early stuff was in the anime. I still don't get why they thought that was a good decision.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I'm still vaguely annoyed that they skipped the sushi cooking test.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

this is why hxh 99 is the superior adaptation.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Clarste posted:

I'm still vaguely annoyed that they skipped the sushi cooking test.

Yeah, that was a fun one. Kurapika's awful sushi was hilarious, as was his reaction to being declared as bad as Leorio.

Stairmaster posted:

this is why hxh 99 is the superior adaptation.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

No.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Roland Jones posted:

Oh god, I forgot about that; the rest of the series is so good I forgot how ridiculous some of the early stuff was in the anime. I still don't get why they thought that was a good decision.

That kind of censorship is far better than the "black out everything" kind, though. The censorship was still entertaining, instead of utterly distracting.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Hisoka developed bungee gum entirely on his own, whatare you talking about with him "Stealing" it. He put it together before fighting moritonio and just said "oh yours has the propeties of steel and magnets? Well I guess mine has the properties of rubber and gum then."

Texture surprise is a total steal though.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Serious Frolicking posted:

He killed helpless people for kicks all the time during the hunter exam. Hisoka spared the ones who looked like they might become interesting and killed anyone else who crossed him. He even went into murder withdrawal once and killed the first person he found.

Hisoka's primary goal in life is killing strong people, but he also enjoys killing people in general.

I feel like HxH has been a little inconsistent in Hisoka's portrayal in this respect. At the beginning he's portrayed as someone who enjoys killing in general, but I don't think that ever comes up again later (when he's just portrayed as being interested in killing strong dudes or people who directly cause him problems).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like HxH has been a little inconsistent in Hisoka's portrayal in this respect. At the beginning he's portrayed as someone who enjoys killing in general, but I don't think that ever comes up again later (when he's just portrayed as being interested in killing strong dudes or people who directly cause him problems).

Hisoka enjoys killing on his own terms, he dislikes killing on someone else's terms because it doesn't feed his murderboner.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

AtomikKrab posted:

Texture surprise is a total steal though.

Eh, it's inspired by the old guy's ability but it seems to work pretty differently.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Who did he attack in the exam arc

-Some dick who bumped into into him and didn't even apologize. Didn't kill, just transmuted his arms into flower petals.
-A manfaced ape (and the real mustache instructor), but more as an experiment than anything else.
-Some guys who tried to attack him first and said he wasn't worthy of being a hunter.
-Leorio, Kurapika, and Gon, all of whom he spared after seeing their potential
-A former hunter examiner who had been preparing to kill hisoka ever since the last exam
-Two of his targets in the badge exam. Refused to kill the guy illumi set him up with, because he wasn't a threat.

Overall seems pretty consistent to me.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Tunicate posted:

-Some dick who bumped into into him and didn't even apologize. Didn't kill, just transmuted his arms into flower petals.
Who wants to be the one to tell him?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Please, ripping someone's arms off never kills them.

I'm sure we'll see #58 sometime in 2040, with new cybernetic arms.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Reminder that Killua killed 4 people in the Hunter Exams.

Everyone remembers the nice old man and the mass murderer but nobody remembers those two guys who bumped into Killua and died while an exam wasn't even loving underway.

They were on a blimp.

Like what the gently caress Killua.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Who wants to be the one to tell him?

Was this anime original?

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Reminder that Killua killed 4 people in the Hunter Exams.

Everyone remembers the nice old man and the mass murderer but nobody remembers those two guys who bumped into Killua and died while an exam wasn't even loving underway.

They were on a blimp.

Like what the gently caress Killua.

killua

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Brought To You By posted:

Was this anime original?

Incidentally, among the ones named by Tonpa...

Barbon proved to be tenacious even in death as his snakes proved to be hella troublesome.
Cherry the martial artist was unparalleled at running away from Hisoka and dying to a tree or whatever.
Todo got taken down in one hit by a Hunter and was 'smart' enough to give up on the exams when he realized he couldn't cut it.
The Amori Brothers proved to be equally adept at losing together as they were at fighting together.
Gereta caught Gon, a human being, the greatest game of all. Then Hisoka killed him.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tunicate posted:

-Some guys who tried to attack him first and said he wasn't worthy of being a hunter.

Anime only.

In the manga Hisoka is the aggressor. The guys who deem him unworthy were defending themselves against him.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I was expecting actual flower petals. Now I just feel let down.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cherry the martial artist was unparalleled at running away from Hisoka and dying to a tree or whatever.

Actually I was wrong, he got killed by Hisoka. Somehow forgot about the card in his forehead.

Leorio, who tried to fight, lives.
Whereas Cherry, who ran away, dies.

Considering that Hisoka was carrying Leorio around, it's a sorta hilarious image. Cherry's just running away, and suddenly Hisoka comes and chucks a card into his forehead and pins him to a tree before moving on.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Who did he attack in the exam arc

-A manfaced ape (and the real mustache instructor), but more as an experiment than anything else.
-Leorio, Kurapika, and Gon, all of whom he spared after seeing their potential
-A former hunter examiner who had been preparing to kill hisoka ever since the last exam
-Two of his targets in the badge exam. Refused to kill the guy illumi set him up with, because he wasn't a threat.

Overall seems pretty consistent to me.

Don't forget he also almost lapsed into murder during the cooking portion of the exam.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Stairmaster posted:

Don't forget he also almost lapsed into murder during the cooking portion of the exam.

That was hilarious.

Hisoka kept staring daggers at Machi, who got so annoyed that she gave an impossible challenge, which would have resulted in a fight between the two.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

They cut the cooking section out of the 2011 anime, right? I don't remember seeing it outside of the manga.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

They cut the cooking section out of the 2011 anime, right? I don't remember seeing it outside of the manga.

I think they cut out Machi's sushi portion but left in the pig hunting and the egg catching.

I forgot why Machi failed them.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

I think they cut out Machi's sushi portion but left in the pig hunting and the egg catching.

None of their pigs were good enough, apparently.

In the manga Menchi never eats the pig, meanwhile, Buhara just devours them all on his own and passes everyone who got one.

(Also I too was thinking her name was Machi, but I forgot Buhara's name and looked it up and was reminded that no, Machi is the Phantom Troupe member; Menchi is the Gourmet Hunter's name. It was frustrating because I kept thinking "okay yeah Machi's in the Troupe but I swear that was the Hunter's name too".)

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jun 7, 2016

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Roland Jones posted:

None of their pigs were good enough, apparently.

In the manga Menchi never eats the pig, meanwhile, Buhara just devours them all on his own and passes everyone who got one.

(Also I too was thinking her name was Machi, but I forgot Buhara's name and looked it up and was reminded that no, Machi is the Phantom Troupe member; Menchi is the Gourmet Hunter's name. It was frustrating because I kept thinking "okay yeah Machi's in the Troupe but I swear that was the Hunter's name too".)

Oh right.

My HxH game is weak.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

They all made exactly the same thing, which was just a roast pig. She was interested in them doing unique and interesting things so they could express their creativity and the only person who even got remotely close was Kurapika, who made it look good but it still tasted like all the rest.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

In the manga each of the gourmet hunters gave separate tests. The fat guy just wanted people to catch pigs and passed the first 50 or whatever to accomplish it, based on his stomach. Menchi wanted people to make sushi, a supposedly obscure foreign dish that no one was familiar with, by analyzing the cooking equipment she provided. Everyone was doing terribly at it through trial and error (including Kurapika, who somehow failed to realize that a knife implies you cut the fish), until Hanzo ruined the test by being from not-Japan and having a loud mouth.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jun 7, 2016

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I love Hanzo.

God bless you you bald motherfucker I hope you survive this arc.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Best Hunter Exam part was Killua going: "I was THIS close of going all out and killing this old man (Netero)"

Yeah, right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Nen aside, I kind of doubt that there was a martial artist alive who could match Netero.