Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
The times I've had the most difficulty with turrets (as Pharah) have been when they're on the moving platforms in Volskaya or the elevator in Hollywood. Perhaps another character with hitscan instead of projectile weapons would be better suited to taking those out. In all other cases when they're in a fixed position, it's pretty easy to just peek back and forth behind cover and shoot a few rockets at them.

Incidentally, how long does it take to learn all the maps well? I've got around 15 hours of playtime and I generally know the main routes and chokepoints, but I still don't know all of the side routes and where every single health pack is hidden, etc. These maps are large and feel a lot more complex than the maps from say, Q3 or CS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Harrow posted:

I wish more people realized that doubling up on support or tank roles is very powerful. It almost never happens in solo queue because people want to play their offense and sniper heroes, but I've never lost with a Mercy and Lucio on the same team.

A lot of times when you try to double up on support or tank the person originally playing a tank or support switches. Of course people have no problem with doubling up on snipers though!!!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Torb is OP, please nerf.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

Proposition Joe posted:

A lot of times when you try to double up on support or tank the person originally playing a tank or support switches. Of course people have no problem with doubling up on snipers though!!!
Team chat exists and even pubbies can be receptive to polite cajoling and/or protestations to its effectiveness.

RugClockVexx
Aug 15, 2008

NoDamage posted:

Incidentally, how long does it take to learn all the maps well? I've got around 15 hours of playtime and I generally know the main routes and chokepoints, but I still don't know all of the side routes and where every single health pack is hidden, etc. These maps are large and feel a lot more complex than the maps from say, Q3 or CS.

I've found that I learn different parts of the maps faster the more I play with different heroes. Ilios for Phara is rooftop city but for Mcree its a maze of alleyways. The health pack locations are difficult to remember for me though. Which rooms have the big health packs vs the tiny ones can change the outcome of a match for sure.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
This is a first: I got matched into a game On Numbani which was already in overtime because someone quit in disgust. I picked Pharah. For a moment or two I considered just flinging myself off a cliff to my death, but since my team was still on the cart I decided to head for it anyway. I boosted up to the upstairs window, and then concussion-blasted myself onto the payload as our team pushed it to victory.

In another game on Volskaya, I defended as Widowmaker. The enemies were pretty annoying, they kept sending Reapers, McCrees, and Genji's to try and flank me when I was sniping, but they never got me. I just would drop down onto the point and grapple to the other side. I got at least one or two with venom mines. It wasn't my best Widow game, but we held them off point A until time ran out, and I even used my machinegun to kill a foolish reaper who thought trying to shadow-walk in and ult with about 5 HP left was a good plan.

Regalingualius posted:

So, how are you supposed to be playing Zarya? It seems like it's really hard to get a charge for her beam, since everyone with even a slight familiarity with her knows that shooting her = really good for her.

You get in their face and force them. Turn on health bars for teammates in the Options > Zarya menu, and zap any teammate with a shield who is taking dangerous amounts of fire. That will get you a bit of charge, then you charge out and shoot them until they shoot you, then activate your bubble and you have more charge with which to murder them.

Try not to overextend because half of her health regenerates, so with just a few seconds out of the line of fire you can get back up to decent strength even without healers or medkits. She has no mobility to get away so stick with your team both for protection in numbers and for charging your weapon. Your barriers are especially good for saving people from ults.

In between pushes, or when you're at zero power, use your weapon as a grenade launcher to bombard checkpoints and any enemies you see.

Playing Zarya really is about feeling the rhythm of combat and reacting to it. It takes a little while to learn - I didn't get the feeling for her in the open beta or quite a while, but now I believe I'm pretty decent with her.

Nail Rat posted:

I think I've found that D.VA is fun to play if you have a good healer and otherwise she's not fun to play at all.

I don't know how that works because I have played Mercy and I cannot save a D.Va under fire. I have attempted to heal D.Va's before and unfortunately, the mech dies so fast that it just is not worth my time anymore. I might toss in a token heal if there's no one else around who needs it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Dias posted:

Torb is OP, please nerf.

All Torb is honestly pretty hard to deal with, even with his counters. I've never been in a group where that happens and won. edit: Not that this is endorsing a nerf of course. No nerf should be based around the ability to have multiples of the same hero

The other one I always have a really hard time with is the Bastion, Mercy, Reinhardt, Torb, Widowmaker + whoever team, ESPECIALLY on the first point of Hollywood. It's a bit easier to deal with on a team of friends but in quick play I'll usually just leave the game because our team ends up losing every time. I've had plenty of good luck in quick play but that's a comp that pubs just can't deal with.

Grammaton posted:

Those kill me so often. It's embarassing.

I love it every loving time some punk Mcree or Reaper thinks they were hot poo poo killing me only to then die to my death grenades. Also when I inevitably do that myself I laugh every single time, I can't even be mad. I play Junkrat THE MOST. I should not be dying to his death grenades!!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Zoness posted:

embrace the lag, become the hog

I wish I could. The hog is my favorite to play but with lag the hook is dropping enemies behind me or to my side. Or I miss completely. Or I hook +M1 + melee and watch them start their death animation then pop up alive and fine and kill me. It's real weird and I hate it. I guess I'll just play Torb in those situations. :(

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Macaluso posted:

I love it every loving time some punk Mcree or Reaper thinks they were hot poo poo killing me only to then die to my death grenades. Also when I inevitably do that myself I laugh every single time, I can't even be mad. I play Junkrat THE MOST. I should not be dying to his death grenades!!

The best is remembering when you're already crossing his body and knowing that it's too late for you.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

the amount of times I've had to use my combat roll as mccree or my rewind as tracer to try and live after doing this embarrasses me.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

This is a first: I got matched into a game On Numbani which was already in overtime because someone quit in disgust. I picked Pharah. For a moment or two I considered just flinging myself off a cliff to my death, but since my team was still on the cart I decided to head for it anyway. I boosted up to the upstairs window, and then concussion-blasted myself onto the payload as our team pushed it to victory.

In another game on Volskaya, I defended as Widowmaker. The enemies were pretty annoying, they kept sending Reapers, McCrees, and Genji's to try and flank me when I was sniping, but they never got me. I just would drop down onto the point and grapple to the other side. I got at least one or two with venom mines. It wasn't my best Widow game, but we held them off point A until time ran out, and I even used my machinegun to kill a foolish reaper who thought trying to shadow-walk in and ult with about 5 HP left was a good plan.

You get in their face and force them. Turn on health bars for teammates in the Options > Zarya menu, and zap any teammate with a shield who is taking dangerous amounts of fire. That will get you a bit of charge, then you charge out and shoot them until they shoot you, then activate your bubble and you have more charge with which to murder them.

Try not to overextend because half of her health regenerates, so with just a few seconds out of the line of fire you can get back up to decent strength even without healers or medkits. She has no mobility to get away so stick with your team both for protection in numbers and for charging your weapon. Your barriers are especially good for saving people from ults.

In between pushes, or when you're at zero power, use your weapon as a grenade launcher to bombard checkpoints and any enemies you see.

Playing Zarya really is about feeling the rhythm of combat and reacting to it. It takes a little while to learn - I didn't get the feeling for her in the open beta or quite a while, but now I believe I'm pretty decent with her.

I don't know how that works because I have played Mercy and I cannot save a D.Va under fire. I have attempted to heal D.Va's before and unfortunately, the mech dies so fast that it just is not worth my time anymore. I might toss in a token heal if there's no one else around who needs it.

The thing about D.VA that I found makes er a lot more survivable is that you have to use the jets like a lot more than most people use them. She's not good standing in the open. But she's very good if you employ guerilla tactics.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nail Rat posted:

The thing about D.VA that I found makes er a lot more survivable is that you have to use the jets like a lot more than most people use them. She's not good standing in the open. But she's very good if you employ guerilla tactics.

No poo poo, if you're not using the jets as soon as they're off cooldown then you're doing it wrong and don't know a god drat thing.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

FAUXTON posted:

No poo poo, if you're not using the jets as soon as they're off cooldown then you're doing it wrong and don't know a god drat thing.

Most people don't use her that way it seems though, lots of idiots just stomp around and stand in the open.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Nail Rat posted:

winston is still better at gorilla tactics

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Torb is kinda fun when you have a decent team. I barely played him before today, but on defense he can do some work, and his gun is okay.

Also our first game today was Anubis offense, and we rushed the first point with Tracers then rushed the second point with Winston/Zarya and won. Turns out you can't defend Anubis when the other team goes completely ham.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Afraid of Audio posted:

:golfclap:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Manatee Cannon posted:

genji can take out torbjorn's turrets with the reflect (if they're hurt anyway, idk that they even do enough damage to kill themselves just off of a reflect) but any bastion that lets you kill them with the reflect probably wasn't a problem in the first place

If Genji uses reflect then Bastion has to stop shooting which means your team can shoot him in the face. He's still a counter.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Why is Noted Badlord Dva near the top of the Masteroverwatch winrate charts

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Doesn't it only poll from people who have signed up?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Also I already polled Nehru but hey Minorkos you're the resident genji pro how do you deal with pharahs?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

Doesn't it only poll from people who have signed up?

Yes but there's no clear reason for the correlation to me between "self-selecting to care about stats" and "is most effective with bad hero"

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
"TIP! Reinhardt's size makes him easier to hit."

Gee, thanks game!

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I win all the time when I pick D.Va and I'm not quite sure why, I never feel like I'm playing great with her but I rack up the killstreaks and win matches. I get really aggressive about flanking and bullying with the thrusters, and always make a good escape out of my mech, people are always waiting for D.Va to pop out of the back of the mech, jumping out to the front or side still seems to confuse the gently caress out of people. That said I win more matches as Winston but that's because I only play him on KOTH, the Pick Winston or Lucio mode.

e: lmao at mercy's average K/D of .22, she has a gun that shoots people

deadwing fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 6, 2016

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Afraid of Audio posted:

The strategy of going ape poo poo

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Pubs are terrified of d.va for reasons I don't quite understand. They also don't realize you can hide behind walls (and the payload) to block it from killing you.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Yes but there's no clear reason for the correlation to me between "self-selecting to care about stats" and "is most effective with bad hero"

Maybe it's just that the more effective heroes are less forgiving. It's a lot easier to accomplish nothing with Genji or Pharah or Widow. D.Va is super forgiving about staying alive to the point that Joe Average is gonna benefit more from that even if the killing power is not all that impressive.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Maybe it's just that the more effective heroes are less forgiving. It's a lot easier to accomplish nothing with Genji or Pharah or Widow. D.Va is super forgiving about staying alive to the point that Joe Average is gonna benefit more from that even if the killing power is not all that impressive.

yea. for example, just because widowmaker is incredibly good doesn't mean that many people are able to really take advantage of it. even your average mccree will suffer if he tries to take fights outside of his flashbang's range because you have to be pretty accurate with the revolver at midrange to do much with it

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I've also had surprising luck with D.Va against your average Stupid loving Dumbshit McCree, he throws his flashbang at you, fans, rolls, and fans again to kill your mech, then you hop out and dome him with pew pew laser because he lost all his Win Buttons

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Anybody having disconnection problems on the ps4? Ever since yesterday the game randomly decides to kick me to the login mid match. The game isn't even lagging when it decides to do this.

Now I have a leaver penalty because you can't rejoin games even if you've only been gone 30 seconds and getting rid of it is dicey because it's a crapshoot if the game will let me finish or not.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Totally TWISTED posted:

You're one of the ones keeping the server running for people like me. So, thank you.

Blizzards running cheap servers so im sure they are swimming in loot box cash.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Had a team where two whiney pubs wanted to play Widow and refused to change while attacking on Hanamura.

So we all went Widow.

And won.

In maybe 3 minutes. I was flabbergasted.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

deadwing posted:

I've also had surprising luck with D.Va against your average Stupid loving Dumbshit McCree, he throws his flashbang at you, fans, rolls, and fans again to kill your mech, then you hop out and dome him with pew pew laser because he lost all his Win Buttons

Except M2, which will be up by the time you can look at him and he will hit it and then you die.

Balon posted:

Had a team where two whiney pubs wanted to play Widow and refused to change while attacking on Hanamura.

So we all went Widow.

And won.

In maybe 3 minutes. I was flabbergasted.

A full team of widows that were good enough could probably lock down every team that wasn't communicating heavily, or a team full of mains who never swap characters because it worked in league so lets do it in this game where swapping heroes is important.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It may have to do with how the site calculates win/loss. Symmetra has the highest ratio despite clearly not being the strongest hero in the game, likely because people switch off of her a lot of the time after losing the first point so she isn't really around to lose if the defense doesn't hold. I'm not sure how that would translate for D.Va exactly but it's possible something similar is going on, where people switch off of her after failing to push successfully.

Mercy is also the most-losing hero which I mean, c'mon, clearly the list isn't really worth taking as any sort of realistic tier chart or whatever. Without knowing the methodology behind it it's pretty much impossible to infer anything from any of the aggregate statistics.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

If Genji uses reflect then Bastion has to stop shooting which means your team can shoot him in the face. He's still a counter.

You also use that time when he's not shooting to close ground, then dash through him and M2. If you've softened him up even a little by corner peaking with M1 before that then you're probably going to kill him

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Countblanc posted:

It may have to do with how the site calculates win/loss. Symmetra has the highest ratio despite clearly not being the strongest hero in the game, likely because people switch off of her a lot of the time after losing the first point so she isn't really around to lose if the defense doesn't hold. I'm not sure how that would translate for D.Va exactly but it's possible something similar is going on, where people switch off of her after failing to push successfully.

Mercy is also the most-losing hero which I mean, c'mon, clearly the list isn't really worth taking as any sort of realistic tier chart or whatever. Without knowing the methodology behind it it's pretty much impossible to infer anything from any of the aggregate statistics.

Down in scrub tier on PS4 I've seen a lot of success with playing a normal team composition until you get the Point B, then switching out 3 people to D.Va to bumrush the point. It's really, really hard for a team not in voice-chat with each other to hold off 3 Defense Matrixing, Boosting, exploding D.Va's swarming your defensive position. That could explain her high win rate.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Broken Cog posted:

"TIP! Reinhardt's size makes him easier to hit."

Gee, thanks game!

Protip: Shoot at the Reinhardt until he dies.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

a cat on an apple posted:

They aren't really OP in the slightest, it's just that currently it's a really, really easy Defense meta that is really, really hard to Attack against. All it takes is one more person likeminded on board with the strategy to suddenly make it an incredibly efficient Defense that takes a disproportionate amount of coordination from the Attack team to dismantle.

This is okay because it's really important to keep in mind that all it takes is one good teamfight to take a huge advantage. Anubis, for example, feature some of the most egregious chokepoints because all it takes is good two teamfights for Attack to take the whole map, and Defend has to prevent those teamfights for 5-9 minutes.

Yeah, the thing is that once you break through that defense it tends to crumble very quickly because it turns out the sort of people who use such a thing don't really understand what to do when it doesn't work.

Here's a Mercy/Reinhardt/Bastion/Widowmaker combo being dismantled. Mainly by the Reaper, but still

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WojoqGHHUuA

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Well this didn't go exactly according to plan, but it still worked!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfrpwiwUrIw

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Cowcaster posted:

Also I already polled Nehru but hey Minorkos you're the resident genji pro how do you deal with pharahs?

the same way you do with hanzo, you get good at aiming or you swap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Is there a trick to getting your bnet battle tag to appear on Master Overwatch? Have I not played enough hours? Does it only rank the top amount and so I'm just no good enough to show up?

On PC and confused