Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
let them have internet but block every site except for the SA forums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

dr_rat posted:

Well in this case it seems they want access to social media sites which all by their nature allow at least some sort of way to communicate with third parties. They could maybe find away to stop them logging in I guess? Technically easy way would be for them to request posts and for them to be given them saved offline.

I was responding to the general "Internet access would be beneficial to inmates genuinely trying to turn their lives around but would require too many resources to be practical" posts.

gently caress the Bundys, there's no rationale to give them access to social media.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Goodpancakes posted:

Yeah gonna be a fun post apocalyptic world. I like the idea that without power and maintenance how many nuclear power plants will melt down. But enjoy squatting on your ammo and food to scrape by in that scenario

This is the basic fallacy I notice in the far right camps like SovCits and modern libertarianism. Even though they despise everything about our world, they are literally incapable of imagining life without our systems. They pack away food that goes bad in a few months because they can't imagine more than a few months without the system. They are like every other nutty partisan group in modern society in that they just want to sit in their echo chamber and try to make enemies out of everyone in order to keep them from realizing just what is wrong with themselves.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Plan Z posted:

This is the basic fallacy I notice in the far right camps like SovCits and modern libertarianism. Even though they despise everything about our world, they are literally incapable of imagining life without our systems. They pack away food that goes bad in a few months because they can't imagine more than a few months without the system. They are like every other nutty partisan group in modern society in that they just want to sit in their echo chamber and try to make enemies out of everyone in order to keep them from realizing just what is wrong with themselves.

They all seem to assume that the apocalypse will sort itself out very quickly because even the most coherent among them only have preparations for a few months. When you ask what they'll do for the remainder of their lives after all their modern supplies run out and the world is still dangerous, you can see them wave it all off with something very vague because they never really thought about it. Sustainability is a foreign concept to them. They don't seem to comprehend just how much they depend on modern society or realize that the apocalypse wouldn't be fun for highly trained survivalists, let alone flabby military cosplayers sitting in a cellar.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Geostomp posted:

They all seem to assume that the apocalypse will sort itself out very quickly because even the most coherent among them only have preparations for a few months. When you ask what they'll do for the remainder of their lives after all their modern supplies run out and the world is still dangerous, you can see them wave it all off with something very vague because they never really thought about it. Sustainability is a foreign concept to them. They don't seem to comprehend just how much they depend on modern society or realize that the apocalypse wouldn't be fun for highly trained survivalists, let alone flabby military cosplayers sitting in a cellar.

I mean yeah after like a year then Jesus comes down from heaven and takes away all the good ones that weren't rapture'd the first time and everything's fine!

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I don't think I've ever seen a survivalist with so much as a pack of seeds.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Geostomp posted:

There was a derail in the Tacticlol thread in TFR, where they were also making GBS threads on prepper mentality (in fact, more than once, confused this thread with that one). There was a discussion on why these guys stockpile ammo and it's because modern ammunition requires a lot of infrastructure to produce in large quantities and safely. Unless you're running the Bullet Farm and have a cadre of chemical engineers also under your command, it is unlikely you would be able produce enough ammo to keep your guns fed through the apocalypse. That bug-out bag might hold 180 rounds of ammunition in 6 spare magazines, which sounds a lot, but, given combat experience, most soldiers have run through that in a single engagement.

Oh, you could make homemade gunpowder, but you would have to play with your piss and poo poo and your guns are going to jam up if you use reloaded black powder because they were built for smokeless powder. Revolvers, muzzleloaders, bolt-action rifles, and other manual-action weapons would probably be better served by you than running around with gas-operated autoloaders.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
seems in an apocalyptic scenario the best thing you would want to have is lots of friends, because what's a fat guy armed with any kind of gun compared with 10 guys with rebar in the middle of the night

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

You would probably band together with other people to rebuild society and ostracize the paranoid loners

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Volcott posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a survivalist with so much as a pack of seeds.

Oh don't worry, crazy prepper Amazon has you covered buddy!

http://www.amazon.com/Survival-Heirloom-Seeds-Long-Term-Emergency/dp/B00JUHTBA4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1465179855&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Heirloom-Vegetable-Survival-Garden-Variety/dp/B00LE4RGOE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1465179855&sr=8-2

And a bonus of "medicinal herbs" which is giving me hilarious mental images of some prepper in his basement with a mortar and pestle, wearing a huge wizard robe made out of tarps, mixing up some health potions:

http://www.amazon.com/Medicinal-Herb-Garden-Easy---Grow/dp/B01537K6TO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1465179855&sr=8-4

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

And a bonus of "medicinal herbs" which is giving me hilarious mental images of some prepper in his basement with a mortar and pestle, wearing a huge wizard robe made out of tarps, mixing up some health potions:

I think I finally understand LaVoy Finicum now.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Goodpancakes posted:

You would probably band together with other people to rebuild society and ostracize the paranoid loners

I think people who think that the elaborate half agreed to promise that is society to begin with will break down spontaneously because of too much federal government are the saddest

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Marijuana Nihilist posted:

Make them mods in TFR and D&D.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1632933580362982&id=1541879166135091

LOL

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Now, I'm not an American proper, but wouldn't that be termed cruel and unusual?

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Only if you bought them an account.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I'm going to assume these idiots aren't going to jump through the Evil Gubmints hoops to put a proper memorial on public land (or haven't contacted the land owner for his consent if it's private land) and are just engaged in elaborate littering. "They took down our wood cross so we put a steel one there."

Clearly they need to move to one that's either too heavy to move or one that's a radiological hazard to anyone handling it to take it down. Depleted Uranium memorial for the tarp man is the next escalation.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Specifically the thread that moved along with the occupation and this one

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Goodpancakes posted:

This whole issue revolves around something horrendously astounding happening that manages to gently caress everything up. Short of some global nuke war or some super virus, it just isn't gonna happen, and those previous two are a pretty rare event to come about too.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Jesus loving Christ. I dunno what's more retarded, rebuilding that lovely memorial over and over, bitching about vandals cutting trees down when it was likely the county cleaning up that garbage site, or their loving stupid rear end misreading of law.

I will seriously lose it in laughter if someone goes out there with a winch and yanks that fucker up

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Plan Z posted:

Geostomp posted:

The more you hear about the fantasies of destruction, the more it seems like these people are bitter that nobody listens to them and want to be put in a situation where they can rise above everybody as some sort of leader. Their apocalypses are always so specific and unrealistic to the point of absurdity. Also, a lot of them are born from the idea that being rural and having access to a lot of guns means more than anything else in society at all. It's a power fantasy of reverting to atavistic state of being. That, and emblematic of a lot of 'men's fiction' novels that were the rage back in the '80s.

Young Freud posted:

There was a derail in the Tacticlol thread in TFR, where they were also making GBS threads on prepper mentality (in fact, more than once, confused this thread with that one). There was a discussion on why these guys stockpile ammo and it's because modern ammunition requires a lot of infrastructure to produce in large quantities and safely. Unless you're running the Bullet Farm and have a cadre of chemical engineers also under your command, it is unlikely you would be able produce enough ammo to keep your guns fed through the apocalypse. That bug-out bag might hold 180 rounds of ammunition in 6 spare magazines, which sounds a lot, but, given combat experience, most soldiers have run through that in a single engagement.

Oh, you could make homemade gunpowder, but you would have to play with your piss and poo poo and your guns are going to jam up if you use reloaded black powder because they were built for smokeless powder. Revolvers, muzzleloaders, bolt-action rifles, and other manual-action weapons would probably be better served by you than running around with gas-operated autoloaders.

You're putting more thought into this situation than the people who believe it are. They have the guns because they are mighty and can invoke change and have all this agency that they don't believe they have in real life. It's fascinating how pathetic this whole power fantasy is the more you dig into it: men with multiple penis equivalents extorting people to stay with them as they fight off 'invaders' that the survivalist doesn't like so he can choose what civilization will look like.

Al! posted:

seems in an apocalyptic scenario the best thing you would want to have is lots of friends, because what's a fat guy armed with any kind of gun compared with 10 guys with rebar in the middle of the night

Pretty much this. The reality is that survivalists would be the first place to hunt down in an apocalypse as they are guaranteed to have supplies, weapons, and very few people defending it. All you would need is a good mob and a willingness to possibly be killed in order to get them.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I have a 7-day box of Freeze dried food with a 25 year shelf life in my apartment and my car, does that make me a prepper? :ohdear:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

I have a 7-day box of Freeze dried food with a 25 year shelf life in my apartment and my car, does that make me a prepper? :ohdear:

Disaster preparedness is a very good thing and everyone should have some stuff for it, including a supply of food (for like a week tops), some water (I think it's like a gallon per person per day?), a weather radio, first aid kit, flashlights, batteries, something to start a fire with and (if you live somewhere cold) some source of emergency heat. Disaster preparedness is not being a prepper because it's done with the explicit understanding that the disaster will end and you just need to get through to that point.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I just realized I typed that while literally sitting in the middle of a tropical storm and I don't have half those things lined up, oh well :downs:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Disaster preparedness is a very good thing and everyone should have some stuff for it, including a supply of food (for like a week tops), some water (I think it's like a gallon per person per day?), a weather radio, first aid kit, flashlights, batteries, something to start a fire with and (if you live somewhere cold) some source of emergency heat. Disaster preparedness is not being a prepper because it's done with the explicit understanding that the disaster will end and you just need to get through to that point.
This is the difference between being prepared for a natural disaster and being a prepper.

You're not a prepper if you just want life to go back to normal as quickly as possible after a disaster, you're just ready if something bad like a hurricane/flood/tornado happens.

Oh, that's the other difference: hurricanes/floods/tornados happen, and depending on where you live, happen somewhat frequently. Nuclear annihilation/EMPs/Civil War 2/anything that makes up a Tom Clancy plot does not happen with any sort of real possibility in the US or Europe.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fade5 posted:

This is the difference between being prepared for a natural disaster and being a prepper.

You're not a prepper if you just want life to go back to normal as quickly as possible after a disaster, you're just ready if something bad like a hurricane/flood/tornado happens.

Oh, that's the other difference: hurricanes/floods/tornados happen, and depending on where you live, happen somewhat frequently. Nuclear annihilation/EMPs/Civil War 2/anything that makes up a Tom Clancy plot does not happen with any sort of real possibility in the US or Europe.

I mean nuclear war is certainly possible but in all likelihood you'd probably want to be the lucky few who get painlessly vaporized in the first volley.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Pretty much this. The reality is that survivalists would be the first place to hunt down in an apocalypse as they are guaranteed to have supplies, weapons, and very few people defending it. All you would need is a good mob and a willingness to possibly be killed in order to get them.

Reminds me of that show where a prepper/survivlist family was building a castle to stay safe in and yacking on about the sturdiness and thickness of the wooden main door. All it'd take would be some old civil war cannon to blow that fucker to hell. There are reasons that castles became outdated, after all

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Iron Crowned posted:

No, a prepper would be if you had 8 shelves filled with those, a shitload of bottled water, and a bunch of other poo poo that you had to build a new wing/bunker onto your property to hold it all

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

SocketWrench posted:

Reminds me of that show where a prepper/survivlist family was building a castle to stay safe in and yacking on about the sturdiness and thickness of the wooden main door. All it'd take would be some old civil war cannon to blow that fucker to hell. There are reasons that castles became outdated, after all

what a bunch of mooks! I keep a civil war cannon in the back of my toyota camry!

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Instead of Canon if you really wanted inside post apocalypse you would just drive A semi or a front loader through it. Lot more of those around then a Canon

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Or just build a fire in front of it and burn your way through, with the added bonus of also probably smoking them out at the same time because lol if prepper castle has a proper fire escape.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

SocketWrench posted:

Dunno, castles survived World War loving 2 more or less intact. They're pretty sturdy as long as you know what you're do - ohhhhhhhhhh

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Or just build a fire in front of it and burn your way through, with the added bonus of also probably smoking them out at the same time because lol if prepper castle has a proper fire escape.

Honestly, I've seen like two episodes of Doomsday Preppers, and the only one that even seemed not crazy to me, was a hippy family that was prepping by building her neighborhood into a community.

Of course a community garden and bonfires aren't nearly as entertaining as a bunker 7 feet underground with one ventilation shaft.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Iron Crowned posted:

No, it makes you not a dumbass. Like was said it's a smart idea to have some emergency supplies laying around; a few days of food, water, a flashlight, a battery-powered radio, some candles, a way to make a fire, first aid kit, bandages, whatever meds you need, maybe a flare or something. Add some blankets, some tarps, some stuff to make a makeshift shelter appropriate to where you are, soap, bleach, some knives and cutlery, and a small toolbox if you're feeling particularly ambitious.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

Honestly, I've seen like two episodes of Doomsday Preppers, and the only one that even seemed not crazy to me, was a hippy family that was prepping by building her neighborhood into a community.

Of course a community garden and bonfires aren't nearly as entertaining as a bunker 7 feet underground with one ventilation shaft.

"Neighborhood" implies it's in the suburbs, eh? I mean it's great and all but you can't grow enough food for a family on your average suburban lot.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Anos posted:

"Neighborhood" implies it's in the suburbs, eh? I mean it's great and all but you can't grow enough food for a family on your average suburban lot.

Eh, it was years ago when I saw it, but her logic was more that everyone would look out for each other in case of some kind of collapse. Basically it was emergency socialism :v:

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
Working together, getting to know and trust the people around you? Naaah just gonna get more guns and bullets before the gubmint and obummer bans them

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Working together, getting to know and trust the people around you? Naaah just gonna get more guns and bullets before the gubmint and obummer bans them

You'll see who's laughing when Toecutter and his gang rolls into town and takes your poo poo.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Larch posted:

Dunno, castles survived World War loving 2 more or less intact. They're pretty sturdy as long as you know what you're do - ohhhhhhhhhh

they survived world war 2 because they weren't used as anything more than a neat looking house, if anyone decided to make an issue of them they were converted into rubble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

SocketWrench posted:

Why would you use a canon when you could just build a fire against the door then chop through it when weakened enough?