Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

With Chase I believe it's 24 months. That's very interesting that you're getting a targeted offer while already having the card.

Yes but its 24 months since I last received bonus. I'm wondering how long to wait until I cancel the current card I have now and to sign up again for the same card. How long do people normally wait or does it not matter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Busy Bee posted:

Yes but its 24 months since I last received bonus. I'm wondering how long to wait until I cancel the current card I have now and to sign up again for the same card. How long do people normally wait or does it not matter?
Last time I cycled the Sapphire Preferred, I cancelled right before my annual fee hit in January of this year, then reapplied for the card in early March, it was probably less than 8 weeks between the two.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I got my Costco Visa which will replace the Amex I have in 2 weeks. Only have had it for one year. Is it really worth switching the Amex to a no annual fee replacement just to maintain the active line of credit, given that I have no other Anex cards currently?

I don't foresee myself using it anywhere the Costco Visa wouldn't be better (I'd probably out a recurring monthly sub on it like I do for Netflix on my CU's card).

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Right now I only have 1 credit card with a super low limit (around like $1,500) that was my first grown up credit card with my bank. The card is pretty lovely and the rewards are garbage.

I don't want to have my credit hit to up the limit on this card so I was thinking about opening a new card to have 2 cards and 1 with a higher limit. I pay off my credit card weeklyish so I never have a running total on it. But I just tried to buy some carpet for my house and it was denied because the cost was over the limit, loving crazy...

I travel alot for work but all of the plane tickets and hotel stays go on my corporate american express card. Right now I did pay the whatever it cost to get the points on my amex card and I think I have heard you can transfer those points to a different amex card so maybe that is the way to go?

We don't travel alot for personal reasons and when we do I am hoping to use all the points I am accruing through my work travel to travel for free.

I am not really sure what card I should get. Right now we are only putting like 2~3K on the current card, but sometimes it will spike, like for instance I just tried to put 2K on it in one day.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Why are you paying anything to get MR points from a corporate card to a personal one? If you have both, the accounts can be linked with a single balance. If you don't have a personal Amex MR card, I'd get one for that.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

asur posted:

Why are you paying anything to get MR points from a corporate card to a personal one? If you have both, the accounts can be linked with a single balance. If you don't have a personal Amex MR card, I'd get one for that.

I don't have one. That is why I had to pay.

EDIT: Which one should I be getting? Do they all have fee's now?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Don't you have to pay a fee if you have a corporate Amex to receive the MR points? I know I had to pay $90 or $95 last year. At the time I had no MR earning cards beside the corp Amex.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Amex EveryDay is fee free and earns MR. I don't think you have to pay to earn MR on a corporate card, but could be mistaken.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
The American Express green and gold corporate cards cost $90 to enroll in the membership programs, I think the platinum corporate card is enrolled by default.

I used to have the Green corporate card until my work told me it was fine to just use my own personal cards for reimbursable work expenses.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

THF13 posted:

The American Express green and gold corporate cards cost $90 to enroll in the membership programs, I think the platinum corporate card is enrolled by default.

I used to have the Green corporate card until my work told me it was fine to just use my own personal cards for reimbursable work expenses.

That would make sense why I had to pay.

So any suggestions on a personal card?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

THF13 posted:

Yep, I have the green, so $90 for me. Is it yearly or a one time fee? I wish my company would allow me to use my personal cards, but I'll settle for MR points.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I just finished my $4k spend on the CSP. Is there a confirmation that gets sent that its going to be credited with the sign up bonus, or do I just trust that everything is good and put my spending back on the double cash card?

asur
Dec 28, 2012

ilkhan posted:

I just finished my $4k spend on the CSP. Is there a confirmation that gets sent that its going to be credited with the sign up bonus, or do I just trust that everything is good and put my spending back on the double cash card?

You can ask, but there isn't any confirmation when either the points show up in your account or on the statement.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Is there any reason to not get a VISA signature card over a regular Visa? USAA offers one with no foreign transaction fee with would be clutch when I go to the UK in the fall. Speaking of using cards overseas, is there a catch like bad exchange rates?

My spread is currently Amazon visa, USAA Amex, Costco amex cum visa,and a legacy Wells Fargo visa that is my oldest. I'm considering switching out the Amazon with a USAA sig visa.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

skooma512 posted:

Is there any reason to not get a VISA signature card over a regular Visa? USAA offers one with no foreign transaction fee with would be clutch when I go to the UK in the fall. Speaking of using cards overseas, is there a catch like bad exchange rates?

My spread is currently Amazon visa, USAA Amex, Costco amex cum visa,and a legacy Wells Fargo visa that is my oldest. I'm considering switching out the Amazon with a USAA sig visa.

Visa signature gives you some extra benefits and there's no extra charge. Stuff like extended warranty, travel assistance, rental coverage, lost luggage, etc. I would say the benefits are nice but the card would matter more to me.

Don't use a card with a foreign transaction fee and never accept currency conversion are the two big costs. The difference between exchange rates used by Amex, Mastercard, and Visa is negligible and variable though supposedly Mastercard is slightly better on average.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Considering getting the Amazon Store card for my amazon purchases. I have a Citi Forward, but the 5x points got axed for even existing cardholders, and I have an Amazon Chase card for 3x points that I'm using now.

There are lots of bad reviews for the Amazon store card, but lots of those seem to be about promotional interest crap. If all you do is auto pay the balance in full every month, am I going to encounter any bigger headache than I would with any other card?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
It's fine. I hate Synchrony's interface but they link up fine with nYNAB and auto pay so I don't have to see it anymore.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Chin Strap posted:

Considering getting the Amazon Store card for my amazon purchases. I have a Citi Forward, but the 5x points got axed for even existing cardholders, and I have an Amazon Chase card for 3x points that I'm using now.

There are lots of bad reviews for the Amazon store card, but lots of those seem to be about promotional interest crap. If all you do is auto pay the balance in full every month, am I going to encounter any bigger headache than I would with any other card?

No, but there are better options out there such as the Chase Ink Plus card where you get 5x points at office supply stores where you can buy Amazon gift cards among other benefits that comes with that CC.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Busy Bee posted:

No, but there are better options out there such as the Chase Ink Plus card where you get 5x points at office supply stores where you can buy Amazon gift cards among other benefits that comes with that CC.
Ink is a business card so YMMV on getting it if you don't have a business, and there's also the annual fee to think about. Chase Freedom's rotating categories typically have Amazon as a 5% partner in the 4th quarter, and last year they upped it to 10% (which was awesome, I loaded up on Amazon gift cards at the end of the year that I'm still using). 2nd quarter is groceries, you can buy Amazon gift cards there too. 3Q includes warehouse stores (Sams and CostCo) which also sell them.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Or just get the Synchrony if you're not a super churner who needs to minimize your pulls. I churn and I still just got the Amazon Store Card because it's so brain dead.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

wyoak posted:

Ink is a business card so YMMV on getting it if you don't have a business, and there's also the annual fee to think about. Chase Freedom's rotating categories typically have Amazon as a 5% partner in the 4th quarter, and last year they upped it to 10% (which was awesome, I loaded up on Amazon gift cards at the end of the year that I'm still using). 2nd quarter is groceries, you can buy Amazon gift cards there too. 3Q includes warehouse stores (Sams and CostCo) which also sell them.

You just say you're a sole proprietor. They're not going to drill you on it. Same for most businesses cards.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Rurutia posted:

Or just get the Synchrony if you're not a super churner who needs to minimize your pulls. I churn and I still just got the Amazon Store Card because it's so brain dead.

Yeah I'm really not interested in dealing with buying gift cards for it. Thanks Rurutia, good to know.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Sperg Victorious posted:

You just say you're a sole proprietor. They're not going to drill you on it. Same for most businesses cards.

When I was looking into the Ink a year ago they definitely asked some questions on the application form I was not comfortable answering as I would literally have to make up stuff.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Rurutia posted:

When I was looking into the Ink a year ago they definitely asked some questions on the application form I was not comfortable answering as I would literally have to make up stuff.

I had to do it once when I was a sole proprietor, which is basically just you saying you're a business within yourself. At the most, they may have asked for an EIN number, but you should still be able to use your SS number.

One of my friends even got the amex platinum business card the same way. Although they printed his name in the company field, which was kind of weird.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Sperg Victorious posted:

I had to do it once when I was a sole proprietor, which is basically just you saying you're a business within yourself. At the most, they may have asked for an EIN number, but you should still be able to use your SS number.

One of my friends even got the amex platinum business card the same way. Although they printed his name in the company field, which was kind of weird.

But you were a sole proprietor which makes all the difference. I'm talking about them asking about business income, what category your business is in etc.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Rurutia posted:

But you were a sole proprietor which makes all the difference. I'm talking about them asking about business income, what category your business is in etc.

Everyone is a sole proprietor, it's not something you register or apply for.

Those questions, hard to say because even new businesses will have to use projected income. Never had a credit card company want me to prove those numbers. You could always use a hobby as type of business, like selling stuff on ebay.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

fyallm posted:

Right now I only have 1 credit card with a super low limit (around like $1,500) that was my first grown up credit card with my bank. The card is pretty lovely and the rewards are garbage.

I don't want to have my credit hit to up the limit on this card so I was thinking about opening a new card to have 2 cards and 1 with a higher limit. I pay off my credit card weeklyish so I never have a running total on it. But I just tried to buy some carpet for my house and it was denied because the cost was over the limit, loving crazy...

I travel alot for work but all of the plane tickets and hotel stays go on my corporate american express card. Right now I did pay the whatever it cost to get the points on my amex card and I think I have heard you can transfer those points to a different amex card so maybe that is the way to go?

We don't travel alot for personal reasons and when we do I am hoping to use all the points I am accruing through my work travel to travel for free.

I am not really sure what card I should get. Right now we are only putting like 2~3K on the current card, but sometimes it will spike, like for instance I just tried to put 2K on it in one day.

Any suggestions on a card?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

If you're not looking for a travel card the citi double cash is 2% on everything, I've had it since October and it's been pretty good. Good customer service too

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
You can request a credit increase, and they may give it to you without doing a hard pull. In the past, mine has always given me a warning if they want to do a hard pull, which I can then back out of. But mine have always been ok doing a $1,500 bump without a pull.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Massasoit posted:

If you're not looking for a travel card the citi double cash is 2% on everything, I've had it since October and it's been pretty good. Good customer service too
Yeah I'd just do a Double Cash in his case.

Amara
Jun 4, 2009
If I wanted to get into rewards cards for points to fly with, and typically want to fly Delta due to hub locations, is there a particular card I should get or deal to look for? I'm planning on getting TSA precheck as well, and I remembers something from earlier this thread gave that free as a perk but don't know where to find it anymore.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Amara posted:

If I wanted to get into rewards cards for points to fly with, and typically want to fly Delta due to hub locations, is there a particular card I should get or deal to look for? I'm planning on getting TSA precheck as well, and I remembers something from earlier this thread gave that free as a perk but don't know where to find it anymore.
What do you typically spend on?

For just point accumulation, if you don't need any of the associated benefits (e.g., free bag and the like), consider the Amex Everyday, Amex Everyday Preferred, or Amex Premier Rewards Gold. They are Membership Rewards cards, but transfer 1:1 to Delta.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

Amara posted:

The delta gold card currently has a 50k miles + $100 statement credit if you do a dummy booking on delta.com. That plus the premier rewards gold card would be 100k miles and group 2 boarding/free checked bags.

Typically premium travel cards offer a credit for TSA pre check- depending on your credit profile, Amex might target you for the 100k platinum, but keep in mind the AF is not waived for that one (it's still worth it for the first year since to get pre check and $400 in gift cards plus lounge access, including delta's).

asur
Dec 28, 2012
There's also the 75k Mercedes Platinum offer that is public.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
True-got 2 days left to get that one and it's the highest public offer ever. I'd try for the 100k plat first if targeted via the credit cards.com card match tool first, since public 100k offers are less common.

You could also do both (I did) but it depends on what the guy's travel needs are.

Amara
Jun 4, 2009
Thanks guys, I'll look into these.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I tried a couple times to get the Citi Double cash and was turned down. I was able to get the Fidelity Visa that is 2% on everything, so basically the same thing?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Moneyball posted:

I tried a couple times to get the Citi Double cash and was turned down. I was able to get the Fidelity Visa that is 2% on everything, so basically the same thing?

In terms of rewards basically. The Fidelity rewards must be deposited into a Fidelity account. They have an excellent online checking account that qualifies. Citi has a few other miscellaneous card benefits like Price Rewind, but nothing that makes it significantly better or worse than the Fidelity card.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Word to the wise: never try to link Citi credit card accounts online under the same user profile. I recently tried to do this with my new Citi Premier card (I had three existing user profiles) and now none of my logins work. The credit card division sees that all of my cards are unified under one profiles as well as now having two vacant/dormant profiles, whereas the checking division can only see one user profile that's different from the one the CC division sees and it only shows my checking and one of my credit cards. Four hours of phone calls in the last 24 hours and now I'm at a point where my checking account PIN has been reset and I need to wait til a new one comes in the mail before I can call in and try again.

Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Ugh, that doesn't sound good. I applied and got approved for the new Costco Visa but didn't do it while logged in. I hope they can figure out I am the same person. :v: