Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

TinTower posted:

The Doctor was basically one of the few fictional characters that the fandom wants to be asexual.

This is generally backlash from how awkward and horrible anything related to romance is in Doctor Who, in my experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Small Frozen Thing posted:

This is generally backlash from how awkward and horrible anything related to romance is in Doctor Who, in my experience

I liked Paul McGann. :colbert:

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Jack Gladney posted:

He has the beard/glasses/ponytail trio of a fat man. And the standard-issue dress-up polo of a fat man. Curious.

You forget that there are fat nerds but also skinny nerds, who are equally punchable and have the added benefit of being chafed by the wind.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Scott's defense of Uber. Not really much to be said, some real tech bubbel poo poo.

http://slatestarscratchpad.tumblr.com/post/145471809566/uber-is-having-a-hard-time-finding-enough-people

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Why are our social structures not working? Beats me. Anyway as I was saying how politics is just tribal outgroup identification stuff, not about real issues, which I'm all above and outside of.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Just alerted to this Laurie Penny piece from April, in which she details precisely how "friendly AI" arguments map closely to fear of women. Ideal for the sort of Tumblr rationalist who uses "neurotypical" mostly as a misogynist slur. (As opposed to the ones who use it against people who aren't racists and/or libertarians.)

Scott memory-holed his Uber piece, but archive.is provides.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Most "friendly AI" arguments presuppose godlike, massively powerful AI overlords, however, and those AI overlords would be exceedingly unlikely to have any gendered characteristics at all.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Woolie Wool posted:

Most "friendly AI" arguments presuppose godlike, massively powerful AI overlords, however, and those AI overlords would be exceedingly unlikely to have any gendered characteristics at all so they are commonly implied to be male.
FTFY

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Woolie Wool posted:

Most "friendly AI" arguments presuppose godlike, massively powerful AI overlords, however, and those AI overlords would be exceedingly unlikely to have any gendered characteristics at all.

I mean, so would the omnipotent god of the Abrahamic religions, yet we all know He is always referred to as such despite explicitly being intended to be without distinct gender.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Night10194 posted:

I mean, so would the omnipotent god of the Abrahamic religions, yet we all know He is always referred to as such despite explicitly being intended to be without distinct gender.

iirc, Muslims use "Allah" partially because it's a term with no plural or gendered forms.

Also: This tweet never gets old

https://twitter.com/AndyRichter/status/679085381644488706

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Woolie Wool posted:

divabot posted:

That new other thread is entirely terrible and full of nazis who think Jewish echoes are a funny meme
Fixed that for you.

You are quite correct of course, evidently I was reading the other thread from the mirror universe where it had a goatee and didn't suck.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

divabot posted:

You are quite correct of course, evidently I was reading the other thread from the mirror universe where it had a goatee and didn't suck.

Molten Salt Reactor is fine when the IKs (and particularly fishmech) are up to bat down the crazy people. And I'm not saying that people I disagree with are crazy people, just those guys are crazy and I disagree with them.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

But in all the sci fi movies the future computers are voiced by smooth calm British women because americans mentally associate a British accent with intelligence and sophistication though.

(I discovered a while back while watching some brit gameshows that it works in reverse too, that show used an American guy's voice to talk about how COOL AND INTENSE AND RAD something was :allears:)

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Koanic Soul posted:

Aeoli attempts to pick an example anime character for each of Vox’s SSMV hierarchy ranks. I rather disagree with his rankings. Go read it and then I’ll explain why.

First, let’s deal with Alucard – Dracula tamed. A BETA??? HA!

Ah Aeoli, ever thou art doomed to miscomprehend the MT.

It’s the backstory. White Turkish slave, raped and executed… and tastes the battlefield’s blood.

Rose again, alpha, violence and vengeance incarnate, unlimited bloodlust.

Brought low by the Hellsings. Humble, mortal men. Such courage, such glory.

The freedom was false, hollow, tainted, without honor. The unlimited violence an empty boast. The final foe was more worthy than he. Bound he became, and loved his chains. The bird of Hermes, eating my wings to make me tame.

An MT by nature must press against a limit, an authority. Without hierarchy, he is lost.

In his servant status, Alucard finds joy – the joy of contained bloodlust. Within the bounds of honor, he plots, presses, manipulates, forsees with vast and patient cunning, the day of his final release – control limit zero. To die, to destroy, to serve – all is sameness, but submission only possible to a worthy foe.

To seduce the true daughter of Van Hellsing; to settle all accounts; to achieve his final form, everywhere and nowhere, and take his bride:

That was Alucard’s long game.

Force channeled through rigid planes becomes a cutting blade. It’s simply more fun to play within the rules.

`

My memory’s fuzzy, but Jet Black strikes me more as a Beta with oneitis for a woman out of his league. Delta is weaker.

Vash seems more Sigma, but again, fuzzy memory. He’s always playing games… but winning. No concern for maintaining alpha posture.

Shinji Ikari – just skipped all the parts with him in it, some weird Japanese thing going on. But clearly gamma. He’s included. If not for plot mechanics, then yeah probly omega. Although don’t rule out how much groveling that bitch would do when hit by the lonelies. We the death-eaters, the introverts, fear neither silence nor Silence.

Guts – dude wtf? This guy strikes me as a beta. Strong but a follower at heart. Events force him on a lonely path, but he’s just disaffected and tribeless. That does not a sigma make. Although he’s improved by it.

Lambda – no idea about Gilgamesh, weirdo Japanese effete nobility posing is its own category. But here’s a coupla AWESOME ones. Now I feel like an anime freak.

Yurimaru – Ninja Scroll. ‘Nuff said.
And here’s the one you didn’t see coming. Hint: major Hellsing character. Give up?
.tuo mih denrut flowereW .zenroD .C retlaW fo noitanracnier niav lufhtuoy dna rennam ,sevitom eht ta kooL
decoder ring:
http://textmechanic.com/text-tools/obfuscation-tools/reverse-text-generator/

Not too impressed by the other commenter’s SSMV answers, EXCEPT Craig seems to get it:
Jubei in Ninja Scroll– Sigma. yep
Kinada in Akira– Alpha. yep
Tetsuo in Akira– Disagree. Gamma on a very ugly journey to transcendant sigma.

`

Note: Jubei is sigma with a strong beta streak.
It occurs to me there are no deltas here. Most supporting and minor or weakish characters will be deltas. E.g., just picking from Hellsing: Jan Valentine, Sir Shelby M. Penwood, Cheddar Priest, Richard Hellsing. They vary primarily by their situational status, but fail to reach the heights of true ALPHA or depths of total gamma/omega.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Neoreactionary art criticism is universally poo poo. It's actually a worse version than conservative art criticism, which is already overwhelmingly poo poo.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Curvature of Earth posted:

Neoreactionary art criticism is universally poo poo. It's actually a worse version than conservative art criticism, which is already overwhelmingly poo poo.

It seems like the only difference between neoreactionary art criticism and tvtropes art criticism is that the latter isn't inherently political.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
http://www.koanicsoul.com/blog/2015/12/29/the-peace-sign-unites-pedophiles-and-rabbits-liberals/

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That reads like word salad to me. Is there some current event that's supposed to be a response to?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Jack Gladney posted:

That reads like word salad to me. Is there some current event that's supposed to be a response to?

I have no loving idea.

That said, never forget that neoreactionaries took this super, ultra, seriously for a while. As we all know, reinventing phrenology and trying to cultivate "Inner Game" is the mark of a true intellectual.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
That is, far as I understand it, a guy who thinks that there are Neanderthals amongst us, and that the thals (as he calls them) are a superior race. He's also a pick-up artist. Wesley took him pretty seriously.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Fututor Magnus posted:

That is, far as I understand it, a guy who thinks that there are Neanderthals amongst us, and that the thals (as he calls them) are a superior race. He's also a pick-up artist. Wesley took him pretty seriously.
The Thals were aliens who inhabited the same planet as the proto-Daleks!!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Fututor Magnus posted:

Didn't his cosmology also involve aliens who created homo sapiens? Like some reverse version of the Nation of Islam and Yakub?

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Jack Gladney posted:

Didn't his cosmology also involve aliens who created homo sapiens? Like some reverse version of the Nation of Islam and Yakub?

Maybe, except towards a white supremacist end. It really is like old-timey white supremacism with magical, fantastical, and science fiction elements, like you'd see with vril and all that.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Jack Gladney posted:

Well, fantasy author Marion Zimmer Bradley (The Mists of Avalon etc) was relatively recently revealed to have been complicit in at least one case of long-term child abuse, which disturbed the hell out of a lot of people because she was considered a very important woman in the history of SF/F. Her reputation was completely destroyed and AFAIK nobody in the fandom came out in defense of her except for some total crazies. She's one of the people in that flood of photos.

One of the others in those photos is Samuel Delaney, who is often quoted as "supporting NAMBLA", and I posted about him earlier in the thread:

Heresiarch posted:

Delany's views are complicated, and influenced by his own experiences as a child. This particular conversation is very recent and probably a lot more useful than the infamous statement from the 90's; it's also not really on topic for the thread and I'm sharing it because people are asking. And no, I don't agree with him either on a lot of the subject but the situation is a lot more nuanced than "he's a NAMBLA supporter", read the whole conversation and draw your own opinions.

I have no idea who the rest of the people in the photos are, but given the presence of Bradley and Delaney I have to assume that this guy is taking his "liberals love pedophiles" argument and using it to suggest that SF fandom tolerates child molesters because it's full of liberals and therefore Vox Day Rabid Puppies cultural marxism etc etc

This is a guess because his actual writing is a godawful mess.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm sure we all want to know what Rev's definition of "oppressed" is, and thankfully, there's an entire sharticle he's written on it.

quote:

Imagine that you’re faced with a problem, and some other agent X is involved in, or at least adjacent to, that problem. You suspect that X is oppressing you. How can you be sure?

Consider the following criterion:

"If reality were altered such that X did not exist, and never had existed, would I still have the same problem?"

If your answer is “Yes, I would still have this problem,” then consider the possibility that X is not actually oppressing you, but simply failing to serve your goals. Then ask yourself this:

"Am I upset that X is not serving my goals?"

If your answer is “Yes, I am upset that X is not serving my goals”, then consider the possibility that you are the oppressor.

E: He tweeted it in response to this article.

Fututor Magnus has a new favorite as of 06:46 on Jun 7, 2016

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
You'll be pleased to know that RationalWiki has successfully replaced the alt-right with a very small shell script.

divabot has a new favorite as of 10:00 on Jun 7, 2016

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

divabot posted:

You'll be pleased to know that RationalWiki has successfully replaced the alt-right with a very small shell script.

I thought Phil Sandifer had already dispelled the alt-right using black magic tho

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Fututor Magnus posted:

I'm sure we all want to know what Rev's definition of "oppressed" is, and thankfully, there's an entire sharticle he's written on it.

That damned Agent X, if only he wasn't... not oppressing me?

I like how he provides this guff but then doesn't actually provide a real-world example to prove the validity of it applies to real life.

Frogisis
Apr 15, 2003

relax brother relax
"Spherical society on a frictionless plane" has never seemed more apt. It's ironic that this is supposed to be a rebuttal to an article saying autistic white tech bros have an oversimplified view of the world that erases everyone else's perspective.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

MikeCrotch posted:

I thought Phil Sandifer had already dispelled the alt-right using black magic tho

No, he neutered them and rendered them ineffectual... that is to say he did nothing.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

If I find out what "SSMV" and "MT" mean will this make any more sense, or is it just a list of "the most badass anime mans!" with bonus idiocy?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Puppy Time posted:

If I find out what "SSMV" and "MT" mean will this make any more sense, or is it just a list of "the most badass anime mans!" with bonus idiocy?

The latter, really.

Frogisis posted:

"Spherical society on a frictionless plane" has never seemed more apt. It's ironic that this is supposed to be a rebuttal to an article saying autistic white tech bros have an oversimplified view of the world that erases everyone else's perspective.

I think the saddest part is not just that it's an overly simplified and abstracted view of the world, but that it's one he came up with entirely to gerrymander an important concept in order to keep his ingroup safe.

See also his "Racism means viewing races as being essential unchangeable categories that can be ranked on a hierarchy" in order to have a definition of racism that doesn't include Razib Khan and Wesley, but does include his strawman idea of black sociology professors.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Hermetic posted:

I think the discussion was about the emegence of a widely accepted (in rightwing circles) conservative figure. The LCRs tend to be treated like garbage, from what I've heard...As others have said, basically, "Vote for us in November, then go burn in hell, degenerate."

Hence why I wasn't sure if Milo counted, as his mainstream acceptance level is questionable.

I mean, guy doesn't even have a checkmark on Twitter. :haw:
There was also GOProud, which was reliant on a single donor to keep them afloat and eventually capsized when said donor pulled the plug. GOProud was a weird duck. It was a lot smaller. More Milo-ish in attitude with policy positions influenced by the Tea Party, but they also practiced outing. They got (I mean presumably paid) Ann Coulter to show up at one of their parties.

There were some strategic differences. I have some grudging respect for LCR as they've taken a less-crazy approach and play a long game. But it's more an elitist approach, and yeah they're treated like garbage. LCR seem less like a tiny group of gay Republicans but more like a tiny group of gay Republicans who specifically *work in Washington D.C.*

Somfin posted:

Milo is the GOP's gay friend who totally can't understand why gay people would even want to get married and who totally said it's fine to call gay people "human being" and who thinks that gay people totally already have plenty of rights so why would they like even want more, right guys haha but seriously?

He's a sellout who is so grateful for the scraps of attention thrown his way he doesn't understand how much damage he is really doing to his own future.

He's an other crab-bucketing his way to the top of the other oppressed others, not realising that he's never getting out of the bucket.
The clearest evidence that Milo Yiannopoulos is or is not making inroads for gay right-wingers is if the right-wing (and the alt-right) starts allowing more room for gays other than Yiannopoulos.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Wikkheiser posted:

The clearest evidence that Milo Yiannopoulos is or is not making inroads for gay right-wingers is if the right-wing (and the alt-right) starts allowing more room for gays other than Yiannopoulos.

I mean if all the gays were self-hating misogynist racists like Milo then I'm sure Republicans would be fine with them. Milo is the Uncle Tom of gays.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I mean if all the gays were self-hating misogynist racists like Milo then I'm sure Republicans would be fine with them. Milo is the Uncle Tom of gays.

Uncle Nancy

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I heard Uncle Rohm in another thread.

VirtualBasement
Jun 5, 2006

"Be not afraid..."

Fututor Magnus posted:

If autistic white guys didn't exist and had never existed, I'm pretty sure the problem of representation among women and minorities in tech wouldn't exist.

So even according to his own criteria, women and minorities in tech are oppressed.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx
Careful. There are some severely lovely people in this thread that flip out if you use autistic as an insult.

That said, you're 100% right, autistic white tech dudes are pretty much the worst, and responsible for making tech and related fields awful for anyone else.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

VirtualBasement posted:

If autistic white guys didn't exist and had never existed, I'm pretty sure the problem of representation among women and minorities in tech wouldn't exist.

So even according to his own criteria, women and minorities in tech are oppressed.

I mean you could also argue that autistic people are being exploited, given stuff like Alex St. John's bizarre primer on how to hire people who won't complain as much about their social lives being wrecked to work unfair hours, which just reinforces it's a lovely definition of oppression.

Hermetic posted:

Careful. There are some severely lovely people in this thread that flip out if you use autistic as an insult.

That said, you're 100% right, autistic white tech dudes are pretty much the worst, and responsible for making tech and related fields awful for anyone else.

Shut the gently caress up Immortan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Shut the gently caress up Immortan

See? This right here is an awesome example of a lovely, angry person.

(also the person he's referring to me as. They're both lovely and should leave the thread tbh :3:)