Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

hemophilia posted:

I think another aspect is CDPR seems to really care about 1. Making games and 2. the Witcher universe.

The constant revision and overhauls of their games is just amazing and endears me greatly to the company and series.

The witcher 1 was really rough, but I saw the potential of the series and I fell in love with this loving bleak world full of racist humans and elves, where everybody is at each other's throat and scheming. it's great

We live in a strange time for games. I guarantee you, these UI updates are almost certainly the developers testing systems out for the Cyberpunk game or taking a system they'd built for that game and retroactively placing it in Witcher. This creates a strange issue--if you played and reviewed this game when it launched, with all the bugs and everything, and had a mediocre experience, is that really reflective of the quality of the game now, a year on, with massive changes to its user interface and content, as well as tweaks to its game mechanics?

It's weird that game devs can now fix games post release. There's no other art form for which that can be the case, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
I'm still completely baffled by the post-release support. It seems almost vulgar to talk about Blood and Wine in terms of value but you guys this was twenty dollars. CDPR could burn good will at Bioware levels for like the next two years and they'd still be top tier good guy developers.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Not just that, but instead of waiting until an enhanced edition to do UI and quality of life overhauls they did them with the expansions and incorporated them into the base game.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It's weird that game devs can now fix games post release. There's no other art form for which that can be the case, really.

There is, occasionally. See the theatrical vs directors cuts of Blade Runner for an obvious example.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

:stare:

Aerondight. You brilliant fuckers. Nine years coming full circle right here.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

SirSamVimes posted:

Not just that, but instead of waiting until an enhanced edition to do UI and quality of life overhauls they did them with the expansions and incorporated them into the base game.

Not expansions, patches. So you don't even need to buy the DLC to get them.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Bryter posted:

There is, occasionally. See the theatrical vs directors cuts of Blade Runner for an obvious example.

Yeah, but that's different because the original still exists in its unchanged form, whereas a situation could arise where no pre-patched versions of a game may exist, particularly digital releases or something like that.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

RatHat posted:

Not expansions, patches. So you don't even need to buy the DLC to get them.

That's what I meant by incorporated them into the base game. :v:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Is that better than the grandmaster swords? Besides sign builds of course.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

RatHat posted:

Yes. Very yes.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

Hearts of Stone's side stuff was weak, but I think the main campaign is probably the best questline in all of Witcher 3.

HoS definitely has the best main quest of the whole W3. BaW's main quest is a little less cool but it has a whole bunch of extra neat content instead.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I want to take a post to remark on just how good the environmental sounds are. I'm restarting a NG+ to go through B&W, and am in the very opening with Geralt and Yen in the bedroom at Kaer Morhen.

Yen is humming, the fire is crackling, both of these sounds get louder or softer realistically as you approach them. Step out onto the balcony and you'll hear the wind and rustling of trees through the valley, and the grunts of Ciri practicing her swordfighting below.

It's easy to overlook but if you pay a little attention you'll notice how flawless these environmental sound cues are, they really add to the world-building and realism.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RatHat posted:

That sword eats every non-human (and panther/dog/pig whatever) enemy in the game for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Even if you don't have much luck with its powerups, liberal use of Quen and the cumulative damage increase means that most enemies won't survive more than three good hits.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I loved that touch. And it really is useful too!

I really like Witcher series - as well as the books actually - but I think Witcher 3 takes the cake for me. One of the few games I played that left me really looking for more after beating it. Blood and Wine was no exception, especially with its conclusion. Just a quiet conversation with Regis.Didn't feel forced or cheesy. Really good stuff. And then, upon returning to Corvo Bianco, the reveal of Yennifer was similarly well done. A conversation that was satisfying, especially after the events of the main game and, if you know them, the book. I think the writers were really versatile. Might be my favorite RPG going. And the series is certainly among my favorites - even if the first is a bit rough around the edges.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

I don't think it's just the writing, there are a lot of RPGs you could point to that have really good writing or at least parts or individual quests (off the top of my head, Planescape: Torment, Vampire: the Masquerade, Alpha Protocol). Where Witcher 3 gets awesome is in the execution and in the sheer loving size and consistency of quality.

The graphics are great, special shoutout to animations, costumes, and landscapes. Music, voice-acting, ambient sounds and snark from guards are all fantastic. They help to sell the excellent writing for a full loving 100+ hours of gameplay.

The combat is alright. The UI is much improved in most respects now, too.

Witcher 3's combat is not spectacular but I'm having a hard time coming up with any Role-Playing Game (in the classic terms, Dark Souls doesn't count) that has better combat, except for maybe Mass Effect 2?
I am actually enjoying W3's combat system still, even after god knows how many hundred hours.

Fire Barrel posted:

I really like Witcher series - as well as the books actually - but I think Witcher 3 takes the cake for me. One of the few games I played that left me really looking for more after beating it. Blood and Wine was no exception, especially with its conclusion. Just a quiet conversation with Regis.Didn't feel forced or cheesy. Really good stuff. And then, upon returning to Corvo Bianco, the reveal of Yennifer was similarly well done. A conversation that was satisfying, especially after the events of the main game and, if you know them, the book. I think the writers were really versatile. Might be my favorite RPG going. And the series is certainly among my favorites - even if the first is a bit rough around the edges.

Regis must be my absolute favorite character in whole of W3.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
And CDPR is big into the whole 'DRM only hurts actual consumers' thing. They're a pretty great company. :3:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

And CDPR is big into the whole 'DRM only hurts actual consumers' thing. They're a pretty great company. :3:

It's an ex-Soviet thing. In those countries people REALLY don't like paying for games, so you either have to go nuts for DRM (StarForce :barf:, made my Silent Storm copy unplayable, thanks to GOG fro bringing it back) or adopt a more consumer friendly approach to make it worth for people to buy their games.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The DRM tower quest in Skellige is one of the high points of that zone imo

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Jack Trades posted:

Witcher 3's combat is not spectacular but I'm having a hard time coming up with any Role-Playing Game (in the classic terms, Dark Souls doesn't count) that has better combat, except for maybe Mass Effect 2?
I am actually enjoying W3's combat system still, even after god knows how many hundred hours.

Are you excluding turn-based systems? Because I love turn-based combat and there's tons of great systems of that nature. Hell, they even tried to make an open-world turn-based JRPG. Metal Max. It wasn't very good though. I think Skies of Arcadia is a fantastic RPG, particularly in that you actually have a system that makes your choices--that is, how well you "play" your "role"--have a gameplay affect, in the form of your title.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
also in my limited experience the level scaling option is awesome for keeping you on your toes and somewhat challenged in combat even when you're blinged out in best gear

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Actually now that I think about it, there's not really a lot of Western-developed games I can think of whose writing especially stood out to me. poo poo like Warcraft was cool when I was a kid but now it sounds silly, same with Diablo. I never played many adventure games, so that's out too.
As previously stated Planescape set the standard and games made by Black Isle refugees in general tend to be pretty well written, namely Obsidian and Troika. Adventure games have been where the quality video game writing has been for a while, especially ever since the genre has had its resurgence.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
I'll tell you what really made this series come full circle for me [spoilers] not having to do the five chivalric value quests because my Witcher 2 save I'd had imported aerondight from my Witcher 1 save so I was told I'd already proven my worth and to fight the hermit, I was then instructed not to lose it this time, its glorious. [/spoiler]

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Are you excluding turn-based systems? Because I love turn-based combat and there's tons of great systems of that nature. Hell, they even tried to make an open-world turn-based JRPG. Metal Max. It wasn't very good though. I think Skies of Arcadia is a fantastic RPG, particularly in that you actually have a system that makes your choices--that is, how well you "play" your "role"--have a gameplay affect, in the form of your title.

Yeah, I was thinking that W3 has one of the best real-time combat system of any RPGs, even if it's not spectacular by action-game standards. You can't really compare real-time and turn-based combat systems.

Otherwise Divinity: Original Sin has absolutely amazing combat system.

StoneOfShame posted:

I'll tell you what really made this series come full circle for me not having to do the five chivalric value quests because my Witcher 2 save I'd had imported aerondight from my Witcher 1 save so I was told I'd already proven my worth and to fight the hermit, I was then instructed not to lose it this time, its glorious.

You can actually import W2 saves? I never knew that.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Regis must be my absolute favorite character in whole of W3.

I also enjoy the combat. Playing around with signs, bombs, and swordplay is satisfying, even if it's not always perfect. Crossbow can be fun, but that's more of a utility item. Even the mounted combat is fun. Although, there are some turnbased rpgs that really are fun. Those, sometimes, tend to be too skewed for my liking. A lot, for instance, make magic/magic users just a lot better than non-casters and I find that kind of boring.

And I agree, Regis is quite good. Honestly, I like all of the characters. Can't see myself ever choosing Triss, though, since I don't think it works as well as choosing Yen. Also, apologies if I'm overusing the tags. I haven't posted in this thread much, so I don't want to ruin it for someone!

In terms of writing, though, I can think of a few other wrpgs that I really think have good writing, but it's a matter of taste at the end of the day. The Witcher series is probably on top for me at this point though. Also, I'm not really big on most adventure games (only ever could really get into really specific ones for some reason.)

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Jack Trades posted:

You can actually import W2 saves? I never knew that.

Yeah, it replaces the shaving questions so doesn't affect anything outside of the choices in those questions and as I said if you have a run of imported saves from Witcher 1 aerondight being easier to obtain

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

I must be cursed. Worst ending in Witcher 3, worst ending in B+W. !!!

On a side note, my wife watched me play most of both games, absolutely enthralled with the story telling, and options (moral, practical, or otherwise) all the way through.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Pellisworth posted:

I want to take a post to remark on just how good the environmental sounds are. I'm restarting a NG+ to go through B&W, and am in the very opening with Geralt and Yen in the bedroom at Kaer Morhen.
I first started playing Witcher 3 wearing headphones and didn't sleep much for 4 days straight partly because the sound and environment convinced me I should be awake and outside. The thing that wasn't quite as cinematic as I'd hoped it would be was the massive battles after what we saw in the trailer as well as Act 2 in Witcher 2, but it's really tough to make something cinematic without taking control away from the player honestly. Even if the story was mediocre, we'd still have a great looking and feeling environment for every sense that we can get in a video game so far. The weather effects add another layer as well, too. It's also an exhausting experience though because of how immersive the world is.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

I guess my question then would be why even have the sort of RPG mechanics that TW3 uses? Not that everything has to be Dark Souls, obviously, but TW3 has moments where it feels like it was pieced together from a cancelled MMO. You've got massive inventory clutter with hundreds of irrelevant pieces of incrementally better gear, an entire system of loot and crafting focused on picking up other peoples trash, bizarre enemy scaling throwing up brick walls all over the "open" world in a way that super clashes with the established lore, questionable durability mechanics and other money sinks, and (worst of all in an immersive role-playing game) poo poo all over the screen. I reached the point half way through the main story where I just went with full on into a signs build and completely disabled the HUD to avoid ever having to engage in any of that stuff.

It's a testament to the strength of the characters, story, and world that this game is still the best RPG there is in spite of all of that, but it feels fundamentally at odds with the tone of the game to have, for example, a sword that is literally 20 times better than a different, lower level sword or a potion that doesn't really do anything because the veteran Witcher brewing it didn't have enough wolf livers for a gold-tier recipe. Maybe if the moment-to-moment combat were less clunky it wouldn't be such a big deal, but for me at least all that stuff just looks like a lot of wasted effort.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

necrobobsledder posted:

It's also an exhausting experience though because of how immersive the world is.

A lot of posters half-jokingly complain about this game being too long and too good.

Obviously it's 99% a good thing that the game is huge while being consistently great, there isn't really any filler or grindy poo poo like most large open-world RPGs would throw at you.

It's almost too large and awesome, to the point that when you're thinking about a second playthrough, you're like: "Yeah, 120 hours... 4 hours a day... a full month? Holy poo poo that will be a commitment. Let's do it, c'mon Roach :getin:

Edit:

Woozy posted:

I guess my question then would be why even have the sort of RPG mechanics that TW3 uses? Not that everything has to be Dark Souls, obviously, but TW3 has moments where it feels like it was pieced together from a cancelled MMO. You've got massive inventory clutter with hundreds of irrelevant pieces of incrementally better gear, an entire system of loot and crafting focused on picking up other peoples trash, bizarre enemy scaling throwing up brick walls all over the "open" world in a way that super clashes with the established lore, questionable durability mechanics and other money sinks, and (worst of all in an immersive role-playing game) poo poo all over the screen. I reached the point half way through the main story where I just went with full on into a signs build and completely disabled the HUD to avoid ever having to engage in any of that stuff.

It's a testament to the strength of the characters, story, and world that this game is still the best RPG there is in spite of all of that, but it feels fundamentally at odds with the tone of the game to have, for example, a sword that is literally 20 times better than a different, lower level sword or a potion that doesn't really do anything because the veteran Witcher brewing it didn't have enough wolf livers for a gold-tier recipe. Maybe if the moment-to-moment combat were less clunky it wouldn't be such a big deal, but for me at least all that stuff just looks like a lot of wasted effort.

Yeah, some of the mechanics seem to be in there because... this is what RPGs are supposed to do, right? Have XP and leveling and complex crafting and loot systems? That's what we need to make an RPG!

I honestly could've done with an extremely simplified gear, loot, crafting, and ability spec system. It doesn't actually matter much, quests don't reward you much in those areas. For the player, it's a lot of fiddly micromanagement for little payoff. Embrace the fact that this is a story-driven RPG where you'll spend half or more of your time in dialogues or running around gawking at scenery, and combat is more about reading your bestiary and using appropriate tactics than gear or spec. gently caress complicated crafting and ability/talent setups unless they're super interesting and meaningful for players. Just give me more Witcher, I could not possibly care less about experience and phat lootz as long as I look snazzy and combat is intense and requires applied knowledge.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jun 6, 2016

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
That new crossbow mutation plus all the crossbow skills turns it from pea shooter into an elephant gun. I tested it out on a griffin and that poor fucker just stayed pinned on the ground until it died.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

Dragon's Dogma on PS3/PC had probably my favorite RPG combat ever I think. It was a blast, and decently difficult for most of the game.

Witcher 3's setup is cool, I love that potions are actually useful instead of just sitting in your inventory forever like most games. Decoctions are cool despite a good 85% of them being trash. The magic system is basic but flexible enough that it's interesting. I have a stupid amount of hours in the game and I still don't feel bored killing things.

I never really got into the Souls games so I can't compare. If I can beat W3 on Death March could I hack it in a Souls game?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Hahaha, what the gently caress was that indeed Geralt. HoS spoilers the Caretaker was some Dark Souls loving poo poo right there, god loving drat. That was a kind of obnoxious fight but his patterns are easy to dodge--when he summons all his helpers to heal him, that poo poo is just annoying though. I kind of dug the design and the way the fight forced you to never get hit though.

EDIT: Aw hell naw, poo poo's gettin' too spooky now

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jun 6, 2016

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Hahaha, what the gently caress was that indeed Geralt. HoS spoilers the Caretaker was some Dark Souls loving poo poo right there, god loving drat. That was a kind of obnoxious fight but his patterns are easy to dodge--when he summons all his helpers to heal him, that poo poo is just annoying though. I kind of dug the design and the way the fight forced you to never get hit though.

EDIT: Aw hell naw, poo poo's gettin' too spooky now

Yeah that part gets very creepy. You're near the end of HoS fwiw.

There are three bosses in short succession, they're a huge step above the difficulty of the end of the base game, which is why I suggest leaving it for when you're in your early 30s and have mastercrafted gear. They can be motherfuckers.

Edit: unrelated and this might be kind of a weird thought, but one of things I really like about W3 is it gives me a few very meaningful options. I honestly think I prefer games with a somewhat pre-defined character and limited options with huge impact, as opposed to a blank slate who gets infinite meaningless reactions to their decisions.

I think the mentality of a lot of recent open-world RPGs is to move toward MMO territory and offer the player a lot of customization of their character while making quests grindy and monotonous.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 6, 2016

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Do I need to win all 3 parts of the knight tournament to become champion? The race is stupidly difficult since mounted combat is so awful.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not really sure if I have mastercrafted gear or not, but I'd sure like to boost my stats if there's tougher fights to come, my damage is lacking. I'm level 36--I got the Viper set diagrams, but those are level 39 and I don't really see myself getting 3 full levels before then.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
ok i beat witcher 3 and im fiending for more, bought hearts of stone when it was an entire dollar off on sale:

anything I should know? not talking about difficulty really, what's fun? what's bugged? what will i regret or prefer to do to have the most fun and prepare to enter blood and wine with a good 'i'm here to slay monsters for coin' attitude?

is the idea to just do hearts quests all in a row or should i mix em in with going around collecting the armor sets i didn't use in the main story?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Play again on death march, level scaling, take your time and take in the sights. Its like a different game than my "rush to the end for blood and wine" play

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

hemophilia posted:

Play again on death march, level scaling, take your time and take in the sights. Its like a different game than my "rush to the end for blood and wine" play

am i reading this wrong or is your advice on the best way to dive into my new 8 dollar video game to replay the 105 hour video game i just now beat and am done with for a year

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

extra stout posted:

ok i beat witcher 3 and im fiending for more, bought hearts of stone when it was an entire dollar off on sale:

anything I should know? not talking about difficulty really, what's fun? what's bugged? what will i regret or prefer to do to have the most fun and prepare to enter blood and wine with a good 'i'm here to slay monsters for coin' attitude?

is the idea to just do hearts quests all in a row or should i mix em in with going around collecting the armor sets i didn't use in the main story?

At the wedding, don't worry about winning the card game. In fact, you should try to lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

extra stout posted:

I'd say play however takes your fancy, there's not really any pitfalls that you won't know about.

But the most common advice I've seen in the thread is to play Gwent at a wedding you'll go to straight away, and to make sure you lose. It's pretty great.

e: See? ^