Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

fliptophead posted:

A friend of mine yesterday was busy telling me the greens are the main driver behind pubs playing live music bring shut down in the suburbs because they're against noise pollution.

Not just being told to stop playing music but also to be shut down.
As someone who broadly supports Green politics I'm completely behind there being fewer opportunities for any of Cartoon's lovely cover bands.

The reality is that it isn't Green politics, its rampant NIMBYism and the gentrification of once working class inner suburbs. Now there is an argument that there is some overlap here but that's akin to the smear attached to things like: It's raining therefore Tim Flannery is a liar.

What a shame Liberty Cat didn't get another month off. Six hours is barely an aperitif.

There can be little doubt that the last government is the worst in Australia's history. Are we really still unsure about giving them the arse? Three more years would be :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Malcolm's currently addressing the RSL organisation. And completely missing the point.

Returned servicemen don't give a gently caress about white papers and upcoming defence capability. They want money pumped into health care and services for veterans. And recognition, they always want recognition.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Beetphyxious posted:

Does anyone have the low down on what's going on with the Victorian CFA volunteers, the union, their EBA and the state government. Popped up on my radar when I saw Turnbull was backing the volunteers.

I only have a peripheral understanding from a mate that's a firey, but here's what I gather is going on:

The current Labor government promised improvements in (their already pretty fuckin' good) working conditions and payrises prior to the most recent election. As a result we saw (professional) firefighters campaigning like crazy for Labor. Labor government got into power, and have yet to implement any of these updates. Firefighters like to claim that Labor got into power because of their efforts.

Victorian Emergency Services minister Jane Garrett's term has been overshadowed by this entire thing to the point where she's considering resigning from the ministry (according to The Age on the weekend). But while Garrett has been holding out against the demands, the premier supposedly met with the UFU and is backing them, so Garrett is completely hosed.

Andrews has put her in a position where if she succeeds, then great, she's the minister that fixed emergency services. But if she doesn't then he can wash his hands of her and say "I trusted her and she hosed it, and I support out hardworking firefighters" and appoint someone else. Which is pretty well done by him because prior to this term she was seen as a rising star. So with one ministerial appointment he's sorted out emergency services and cut down a rival.

But, back to the CFA. The UFU wants to be able to veto CFA (management's) decision. Volunteers are concerned this will disadvantage them. One claim that is being repeated to fan the flames is that there needs to be "7 professional firefighters on scene" before an attack can be made on a fire, which is loving insane in regional areas. But that claim doesn't apply to regional areas, it's primarily for stations that are co-integrated (volunteers and professionals).

The best thing about all this? The previous state Liberal government spent $21 million of the fire services levy fighting firefighters conditions of employment in court, and tried to sack ~160 staff just prior to the 2014 bushfire season. And now they're all about the fire services!

Welp, back to shitposting :)

edit: soz for the double post

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

:toot:

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

this is good to me

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Even if I was insanely rich I don't think I'd ever spend my money on a swimming pool if I lived on the beachfront

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I certainly wouldn't build it on a slant like that, how is that even supposed to work?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I am channeling Cartoon's layout with this post.

Everyone might have missed it, but on the 4th of June, the Party for Freedom (Nick Folkes' crew; cf. Cronulla MkII, picketing Halal conventions) held a rally against multiculturalism in Blacktown, Sydney. Unsurprising really, this dude barely gets a lot of pull these days, even within ultranationalist circles. It honestly seemed like a big wet fart so I didn't really try any follow up on it with my sources. Media accounts for numbers of Folkes' crew vary widely but I'd estimate (judging from photos) that Folkes' got about 13-17 people, with the counter protesters quite clearly outnumbering them. Eh

What the gently caress are they even protesting. The fat guy with the flag and sign (tracksuit pants) was spotted in Coburg bashing people with his flagpole.

A shot of the counter-protesters from the perspective of Folkes' crew

Taken before Folkes' crew arrived. Almost impossible to ascertain the counter-protestor demographics, although this one was heavily pushed by Antifascist Action/Antifaschistische Aktion.

+++++

In other ultranationalist news, on the 5th of June the United Patriots Front had a love-in at the Bush Pig Inn, Bendigo. This seemed to be a collaboration between UPF and the True Blue Crew (TBC), of Coburg fame, as the Melbourne Antifascist Info page claimed that TBC were doing roving patrols of the neighbourhood and accosting people. In any case, the meet-up only attracted probably attracted approximately 30 people. Have to remember that not everyone here was from Bendigo, so it's a pretty abysmal turnout for what is pretty much is/was Reclaim Australia/UPF heartland.

+++++

Overall, it's been interesting to see how the nationalist/ultranationalist right-wing groups have fared since their peak in 2015 after the Martin Place siege. Apparently the UPF are having a rally in Perth on the 20th of this month, but there doesn't seem to be an event up on Facebook or anything. The Perth UPF is notoriously aggressive, with the last demonstration attracting violence.

Recoome fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 6, 2016

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

First world, first world problems! I bet Julio the pool guy is really booked out this week.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

ewe2 posted:

First world, first world problems! I bet Julio the pool guy is really booked out this week.

One of our work boats in Balmain sank sometime over the weekend, the salvage guys are booked out for days.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Maybe climate change is a good thing. Just enough so all the harbourside mansions sink into the sea.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Maybe climate change is a good thing. Just enough so all the harbourside mansions sink into the sea.

only if they take those bourgeois fucks with them

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
David Leyonhjelm parodies Kevin Rudd's apology to stolen generations

Liberal Democrat senator David Leyonhjelm has parodied Kevin Rudd’s historic stolen generations apology speech in an election video on tax and spending policy.

On 13 February 2008 the former prime minister apologised for the “hurt, pain and suffering” the parliament had caused Indigenous people.

On Monday Leyonhjelm released a three-minute election video apologising to Australian taxpayers for the “needless pain, suffering and hurt” caused by government taxes and regulation.

“At long last we acknowledge the mistreatment of Australian taxpayers, amongst the longest suffering peoples on this land,” he says.

“We reflect, in particular, on the systematic punishment meted out to wealth creators and of the relentless grab of their hard-earned money.

“On behalf of my fellow legislators, past and present, I apologise for the laws and policies of successive Coalition and Labor governments that have inflicted a profound loss of wealth on its citizens and deprived them of their liberties.”

Leyonhjelm asks for a minute to reflect on how money had been wasted on middle-class welfare, 2 million public servants and failed Aboriginal welfare spending.

“The time has now come for the nation to turn a new page in Australia’s history by writing the wrongs of the past,” the NSW senator said.

The LDP, represented in parliament only by Leyonhjelm, is campaigning for a 20% flat tax on income and companies, abolition of import tariffs and the scrapping of taxes on alcohol, tobacco and fuel.

https://youtu.be/-n_8r0LU1i0

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

why would you even need a pool that close to the beach?

and they would all be insured to the eyeballs so who gives a gently caress at the mild inconvenience of getting a free renno.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

leyonhjelm isn't going to be reelected, is he

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Cleretic posted:

Someone remind me, do we post Grundle as a good columnist, or a poo poo one to bitch about?

I mean I know which one I think he is, but I need to make sure we're all on the same page.

I dunno - he has some insights from time to time but it's so obscured by pointless verbosity and circumlocution, and the unshakeable feeling I have that he really really REALLY wants to sound like Hunter S. Thompson.

Like, that article, drat, I follow gender theory and politics more than most, and I can barely work out what point he's trying to make .. I think it's an awful lot of words to say "your genitals are the be and all end-all of gender and loving get over it and stop letting the conservatives link it with marxism because I'm a marxist and it's making me look bad"

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Recoome posted:

I am channeling Cartoon's layout with this post.

Love hearing about this stuff Recoome, keep it up.

Is there some form of redress you can have for this? Like if an independent were blatantly racist, would we have no recourse until the next election?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

BBJoey posted:

His reelection is contingent on ballot placement anyway.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Is there some form of redress you can have for this? Like if an independent were blatantly racist, would we have no recourse until the next election?

What would you propose? Being racist isn't illegal, there are a number of parties running on overtly racists platforms.

wombat74
Sep 30, 2005

Corporate Fat Cat
Not 100% sure this belongs in here, but apparently the guy that runs Supernova is a massive fundy who supports transphobia

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

wombat74 posted:

Not 100% sure this belongs in here, but apparently the guy that runs Supernova is a massive fundy who supports transphobia

Yeah, that's hardly surprising since they invited Adam Baldwin and defended the fact that he's a downright shitlord.

wombat74
Sep 30, 2005

Corporate Fat Cat

CrazyTolradi posted:

Yeah, that's hardly surprising since they invited Adam Baldwin and defended the fact that he's a downright shitlord.

I had actually forgotten about the Baldwin crap that went on last year (last year?). What a dickwad.

Maybe the storm in Sydney can just wash him into the sea

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

sidviscous posted:

I think it's an awful lot of words to say "your genitals are the be and all end-all of gender and loving get over it and stop letting the conservatives link it with marxism because I'm a marxist and it's making me look bad"

Yeah this is exactly what it is, mixed in with a failed prolier-than-thou, "All these marxists are students and academics, not blue collar workers like myself a real dirt-under-the-fingernails journalist."

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I hope PAX goes nation wide and eats supanovas cake

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
mal just gave the best (awkward as gently caress) presser ever.

MUMS ARE COOL DADS ARE AWESOME CHICKS CAN DO ANYTHING! CYAS!

edit: pretty sure he cried too
edit x2: im a feminist coz my dad taught me to be one

Box Hill Strangler fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jun 6, 2016

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Anidav posted:

I hope PAX goes nation wide and eats supanovas cake

I like my once-a-year trip with a couple of mates down to Melbourne for PAX. Always a good long weekend.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
nerd conventions are all bad regardless, Friday nights perma murdered by magic

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

BBJoey posted:

If he'd had half a brain and spent the last 3 years using his platform to build a movement, he'd have gotten reelected. As it is, there's at best an outside chance.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Start the "David Leyonhjelm In The Bin" party, and hopefully half his supporters just read "David Leyonhjelm..." and vote for you instead of him.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

GoldStandardConure posted:

Start the "David Leyonhjelm In The Bin" party, and hopefully half his supporters just read "David Leyonhjelm..." and vote for you instead of him.

I'm pretty certain that 9/10ths of the people who voted for him don't even know that they did, so so even if half of his supporters voted for you you'd probably be looking at 1/500th of a quota.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Keep going i'm almost there.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Keep going i'm almost there.

https://twitter.com/jen_browning/status/739660355798847490

:gizz:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

quote:

...when it comes to trade and, in particular, reliance on China, that's the territory in which we find ourselves.

Almost 35 per cent of our export trade is dominated by just one country. Of that, most consists of just one commodity: iron ore.

So much for that modern agile economy

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Responses like this is why I (slightly) prefer Uber to the taxi industry:
http://www.theage.com.au/technology/smartphone-apps/uber-driver-harasses-two-gay-female-passengers-in-melbourne-20160606-gpcewo.html

I reckon if that had been a taxi driver there would've been a nothing statement about how they condemn the drivers behaviour but are unable to identify him.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

That pool was put in 2, possibly 3 years ago tops. Maybe don't extend further towards the beach in an already at-risk position then weep about it on the news you dumb rich morons.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

apparently the lnp has reached an agreement with pathology groups over the medicare rebate?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Can much be done about that other than putting in a big rockwall? They had to do that down here at Somers and there isn't any beach at high tide, the water comes right up to the rocks. I'll be funny when the insurance companies stop insuring properties like this because of climate change.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

gay picnic defence posted:

Can much be done about that other than putting in a big rockwall? They had to do that down here at Somers and there isn't any beach at high tide, the water comes right up to the rocks. I'll be funny when the insurance companies stop insuring properties like this because of climate change.

Brings new meaning to border protection

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

LDP advertising at tobacconists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

open24hours posted:

LDP advertising at tobacconists.

I know I'm sick of nanny state politicians telling me it isn't ok to torture Tories in my own home.

• Locked thread