Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Mans posted:

it's kinda hilarious how paradox and CA fans go through the same mental process:

Game is yet to be released - "yeah of course the game will be released full of bugs, it's completely expected that it'll get patched and developed over time"

Game announces DLC even before it's released - "it's their standard pratice, it allows them to create more revenue and stimulates development even after the game is officialy released"

Game is actually released - "this is a buggy piece of poo poo i am completely dissapointed with the company how coul they do this to us when, why would i play this when i have **insert game with literal years of patches, DLC and mods** in my library?"

DLC is announced - "and of course the DLC comes out before the game is even playable! What a loving rip off"

Mans, you have spent too much time reading paradoxplaza and twcenter and it has broken your brain. I'm sorry. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
So as to try and get the thread to focus on something other than "Paradox is a good/bad company and you're a bad person for arguing otherwise," what would you guys want to see out of Rome 2, anyhow? We've had pretty recurring conversations about what made Victoria 1/2 good and what we'd like to see and keep in a possible Victoria 3, but Rome 2 never seems to get much detail beyond "Rome 1, but gooder."

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I'd like to see Rome make an appearance, if possible.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Tomn posted:

So as to try and get the thread to focus on something other than "Paradox is a good/bad company and you're a bad person for arguing otherwise," what would you guys want to see out of Rome 2, anyhow? We've had pretty recurring conversations about what made Victoria 1/2 good and what we'd like to see and keep in a possible Victoria 3, but Rome 2 never seems to get much detail beyond "Rome 1, but gooder."

Carthage being destroyed would be a plus.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
I believe Rome's internal politics mechanics and such are what people like about that game.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
At a certain point Rome 2 would be awesome if it was like The Guild with a map, but I'm not sure Paradox is really staffed correctly for that.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I would like Rome 2 to focus on its namesake, Constantinople.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Is naval combat still extremely garbage? I pulled up the wiki and was reading and at the bottom there was a dev explanation of combat (I guess) and they lost their entire navy in the span of 1 day. I understand it was a lopsided engagement in the example but that was my problem with it before, if you weren't baby-sitting it you could lose everything in the blink of an eye.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Tomn posted:

I think something overlooked in Rome was that it made the province resource and trading system mean something mechanically, which is something that CK2 completely lacks and EU4 mostly lacks (aside from the resource monopoly bonuses, which you don't really plan for). Rome had strategic resources in each province, some required to make army units, some improved building, navy, etc. It gave you a reason to trade and conquer that you don't see again until Victoria. I'd like to see that system return again.

inkwell
Dec 9, 2005
incomplete holy american empire flag im working on

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
long live wisconsin. long live flag chat

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Tomn posted:

No one wants to discuss this because Rome was a garbage game that only a few diehards want to see a sequel to. At least that's what I assume, since I haven't played it.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
flagchat: with a very few exceptions (maryland, texas, ohio, etc.) US state flags are basically the worst

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Rome seems interesting, and I really like the sound of the democracy mechanics in theory, but I'm never going to play a pre-Victoria II Paradox game ever again so I hope it gets a properly-built sequel someday.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I played Rome once a few months after it came out because a friend gave me his copy. I might be misremembering but wasn't the endgame just a horribly boring slog?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Empress Theonora posted:

flagchat: with a very few exceptions (maryland, texas, ohio, etc.) US state flags are basically the worst

The Worst-Designed Thing You've Never Noticed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnv5iKB2hl4 (sorry for posting a Tedtalk)

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Here are a bunch of US/Canada/Mexico flag/government variations I did for the Victoria 2 mod I made a couple of years ago.

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

No one wants to discuss this because Rome was a garbage game that only a few diehards want to see a sequel to. At least that's what I assume, since I haven't played it.

Oh yeah it is a pile of burning garbage. I don't think people want a sequel to that game. People just want a "modern" Paradox map game made for that time period.

SA_Avenger
Oct 22, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Rome was good. Had a lot of diversity in gameplay for the time depending on the starting point. The resource system was a great thing to have. Biggesr problem if the game was barbarians & their lands

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Tomn posted:

I'm thinking robots.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

That's because the Russians went back in time to kill Einstein.

Nonsense, the Russians are bears, too.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

SA_Avenger posted:

Rome was good. Had a lot of diversity in gameplay for the time depending on the starting point. The resource system was a great thing to have. Biggesr problem if the game was barbarians & their lands

It was a blend of EU core rules with some CK character elements mixed in and the result was something just different enough to be vaguely interesting but not really distinctive enough to justify its separate existence.

Lots of people complained about barbarians being undeveloped, I'd actually argue that a good follow-up to Rome would be to focus the player experience extremely tightly on the concept of controlling one faction within Rome, working to expand and conquer provinces externally while playing power games internally and eventually tipping the Republic into an Empire.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Alchenar posted:

It was a blend of EU core rules with some CK character elements mixed in and the result was something just different enough to be vaguely interesting but not really distinctive enough to justify its separate existence.

Lots of people complained about barbarians being undeveloped, I'd actually argue that a good follow-up to Rome would be to focus the player experience extremely tightly on the concept of controlling one faction within Rome, working to expand and conquer provinces externally while playing power games internally and eventually tipping the Republic into an Empire.

Would a Crusader Kings-style system work for Rome, with the player controlling one individual in a family, training sons to gain popularity as generals or consuls or what have you? I'm out of touch on my Roman history so I'm not sure what changes would have to be made to CK2's notion of a dynasty.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The Narrator posted:

Would a Crusader Kings-style system work for Rome, with the player controlling one individual in a family, training sons to gain popularity as generals or consuls or what have you? I'm out of touch on my Roman history so I'm not sure what changes would have to be made to CK2's notion of a dynasty.

I think you'd have to control the whole family rather than one individual.

Don't think in terms of 'EU with tweaks' or 'CK with tweaks', that just leads you to the design document for a DLC for those games. Rome 2 would need to be its own beast - I think there's space in the Paradox line-up for a game that's about controlling a family/faction within the political system of the superpower of the time and would prefer an extremely tightly focused game around that concept. Obviously the people who wanted Rome to be more like EU would disagree.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Alchenar posted:

I think you'd have to control the whole family rather than one individual.

Don't think in terms of 'EU with tweaks' or 'CK with tweaks', that just leads you to the design document for a DLC for those games. Rome 2 would need to be its own beast - I think there's space in the Paradox line-up for a game that's about controlling a family/faction within the political system of the superpower of the time and would prefer an extremely tightly focused game around that concept. Obviously the people who wanted Rome to be more like EU would disagree.

Oh yeah, I just wasn't sure what you meant by "faction". Controlling a whole family makes sense. Absolutely agree that Rome should be its own game with its own mechanics. I'm just trying to think from Paradox's perspective; selling "It's CK2 + EU4 but in Rome!" and having a polished-looking game is probably going to sell some people interested in that time period who haven't checked out their kind of game before.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Empress Theonora posted:

They're better than loving tricolors.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

Man as much I cherish my great state, seal-on-blue-field is a common and not distinctive design and I'd happily adopt a tricolor any day of the week. At least you can tell tricolors apart from a distance.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Nitrousoxide posted:

No

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Tricolors are great as long as the colors don't look like absolute poo poo

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

V for Vegas posted:

The Worst-Designed Thing You've Never Noticed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnv5iKB2hl4 (sorry for posting a Tedtalk)

Roman Mars? Definitely related to the topic at hand.

E: Speaking of Tricolores, my train goes past a hotel that has a few flags flying from its roof, to show internationality I guess. Just random flags like Brazil, Sweden, or France. But it also has a vertical tricolore going blue - white - red.

Am I crazy or can that only be the Yugoslavian flag?

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 6, 2016

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Lithuania's is one of the better ones, much better than the loving deluge of red/white/blue combinations that are all over the place.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

GrossMurpel posted:

Roman Mars? Definitely related to the topic at hand.

E: Speaking of Tricolores, my train goes past a hotel that has a few flags flying from its roof, to show internationality I guess. Just random flags like Brazil, Sweden, or France. But it also has a vertical tricolore going blue - white - red.

I think they might just have hung the Dutch flag upside down.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

Man as much I cherish my great state, seal-on-blue-field is a common and not distinctive design and I'd happily adopt a tricolor any day of the week. At least you can tell tricolors apart from a distance.

As if the billion various shades of red, green, white, yellow, or blue are more distinctive.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

ThaumPenguin posted:

I think they might just have hung the Dutch flag upside down.

You know your flag is good when it becomes another country's when you hang it wrong.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
I never played the original Rome, but I'd love a sequel that's more about managing a family and the people they patronize, maybe with a secondary focus of 'you control one city, no matter how big the Empire, and your goal is to make that one city pre-eminent' - representing classical Empires less as giant blobs and more as a hierarchy of city-states.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

As if the billion various shades of red, green, white, yellow, or blue are more distinctive.
Well, yes?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
please make EU mesopotamia

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I was digging through my storage room the other day and came across a promotional bag with the Runemaster logo that I got as swag at Gamescom 2014. Since Paradox is now a publicly-traded company, I imagine there will be some pressure on them in the next couple years to grow out of the historical strategy genre again. Stellaris is a step in that direction away from the core franchises of historical games... is there any indication that they'll try their hand at an internally-developed RPG again at some point? Or does publishing Obsidian RPG's fulfill that well enough?

The build of Runemaster that I played was really very early and... not great. Combat-wise is was fairly simple and in style reminded me a bit of Expeditions: Conquistador, but the writing was pretty awful.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

GrossMurpel posted:

That's the flag of Chile between 1817 and 1818. :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SA_Avenger
Oct 22, 2012

Alchenar posted:

Spent a lot of time pkaying Pontus and had loads of fun but I agree that a Rome 2 today should be able to be different enough from CK2 and have something eu4 doesn't have. Not going to be easy if it ever gets done