Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

many johnnys posted:

Katana critical bonus, so what

double katana big critical bonus, whoa okay good

triple katana biggest critical bonus, game over

katanas are the best weapon

get a load of this: quadruple katana

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Bongo Bill posted:

i'm seeing double. four katanas.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Why do people want 99 battle chain specifically? Is there a chievo or something?

I just did berserk+bp recovery when I was grinding money.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Rascyc posted:

Why do people want 99 battle chain specifically? Is there a chievo or something?

I just did berserk+bp recovery when I was grinding money.

There isn't. I guess people want to just because they can, not because they have to.

There are a few places where it's easy to set up. The Berserk room in the hot spring grotto for one. You could also set up a BP Battery (If you can deal with the fact that the speed system was made worse in this game) and do things that way.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Bongo Bill posted:

Then multitask triggers. Probably not the best use for my support slots, but I still laugh every time.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

Then multitask triggers. Probably not the best use for my support slots, but I still laugh every time.

If you can reach the point where basic attacks are the most efficient damage source, then Multitask is the best way to multiply it. This takes a lot of buns though.

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012

RoboCicero posted:

Bishop is a really cool class because it's a healing class that functions totally independent of spellpower. It's probably a bit too good at that, honestly, but it does mean as long as someone has the MP for it even physical dudes can use it.

The animation when Swordmaster triggers is so good I forgive myself for using it several turns in the row instead of just whacking someone in the face.

I love that too. Made Magnolia a Guardian/Bishop, gave me a healing tank.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Actually it doesn't. And even then, it won't cause Firstborn to be knocked down.

Huh. I guess I was misled. I thought they were a trustworthy source. :(

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I ended up clearing out most of the post game with this setup:

Dark Knight / Thief. Thief was just for stealing, honestly not sure why I bothered with Prince of Thieves since most of the post game stuff just had elixirs (was there ever anything to grab?). Dark Knight just did the usual raging. Also turns out that the 50% self buff doom status can be negated by Status Barrier from Astro.

Catmancer / Kaiser, using a staff. I really liked Catmancy for most of the game but it never really put out great damage numbers for me after the mid game so I ended up just turning it into a BP battery once I saw using the Advanced Catmastery stuff counted as two items using the item trigger. So basically just pop Rejuvenation to restore party-wide BP (including yourself) and then cycle three vigor tonics to do it again. Kaiser was mostly just for tossing out the crit buff to help the Dark Knight, and some other dumb niche things.

Time Mage/Summoner. Self-explanatory

Astro/Guardian. Status Barrier / Elemental Barrier / spamming soul mirrors.

All in all I had the most fun in the mid game when I was still putting things together. The end game was pretty silly easy. I never really got to enjoy Yokai, never bun armed, and I never put forth the effort to grind out most of the level 11 job abilities. Not sure I honestly want to bother, there doesn't seem to be any other content aside from fighting max level Ba'als in your moon base minigame?

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Summoner/freelancer most of the time.

Summon rain/ mimic all day

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Summoner/Time is what I use entirely because Summoner has S with rods while Time Mages have A.

I should play more with Yokai since dropping Envy or something to debuff the enemy before going into spellcraft with the ~aja spells seems like a hoot, but then I'd still need a Patissier to add elemental weaknesses, and why not Piestorm for the debuff if that's the case?

Rascyc posted:

I really liked Catmancy for most of the game but it never really put out great damage numbers for me after the mid game

Maybe it's just me, but it picked up after level 11 stuff between Meow to the Max and Fencer's Bloody Wolf, along with the Excalibur II and Luminous Robe and Patissier brute-forcing a light weakness. Death Spiral was dealing 6k a hit for about 25k each use, and Dragonlord Strike under bravely second got 107k. Death Spiral would be an assured 39,996 a pop with Overlord, now that I think about it.

And Edea still has White Wind and Vigor Tonic handy on the side.

I could run Catmancer/Fencer instead of the other way around and have earth-elemental Death Spirals off of Earthbreaker, now that I think about it...

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

This game is absurdly good all-around. My only complaints are really the one-or-the-other sidequests(I'm on Ch. 5 so I Know, but still my crippling indecision :argh:) and the soundtrack which let's face it had some pretty loving big shoes to fill(BS's soundtrack is merely "good" instead of "the best soundtrack ever made", it's by no means bad though!)

I do love how !Mix has become the legendary uber power. Even a lovely version based around baking is somehow the destroyer of worlds.

I got good use out of Catmancy just for Panzerlied/Perforate/White Wind, having a lot of different roles in one moveset is really useful.

EDIT: Also Undo HP is The Rudest Skill.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 4, 2016

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
The thing that makes me saddest about this game is that the pun of nekomancer just does not translate to English.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

neongrey posted:

The thing that makes me saddest about this game is that the pun of nekomancer just does not translate to English.

Oh my god is that the Japanese name

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Oh my god is that the Japanese name

Nah, the Japanese name is something like "Cat Master."

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

I still call it that

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

ImpAtom posted:

Nah, the Japanese name is something like "Cat Master."

It's neko-tsukai, literally cat-user. The generic word for a wizard in Japanese is mahou-tsukai, magic-user (though the Bravely Second Wizard is spelled out in katakana).

It may as well be nekomancer.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I'm extra disappointed now.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

can I play this game without playing Bravely Default? I'm intrigued by this game and I need something new and different to play

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Carlosologist posted:

can I play this game without playing Bravely Default? I'm intrigued by this game and I need something new and different to play

You can. You can just imagine you're as lost as Yew is when it comes to certain past elements.

The game is a direct sequel and it features a lot of recurring characters, but Second gives you a recap of Default right at the very beginning. In fact, if you've never played Default, it will spoil the ending of Default for you.

Two of the party members in Second are from Default, and they'll reference the past, while trying to explain it to the other two.

Honestly, I think it can work just fine as a self-contained title.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Carlosologist posted:

Here's a list of the things I would have liked better clarified if I hadn't b=played Bravely Default.

- Pope Agnes has a poor sense of direction

That's it, list over.

Actually, you're better off not knowing some things about Bravely Default because I feel like they cleaned up the tone a bit in second.

For example, the first game features a scene where two teenage sisters murder each other in cold blood over a hair accessory. Knowing that will not improve your enjoyment of Bravely Second at all.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I think it'd be cooler to play it without Default myself. There will be about three things that come up that'll probably leave you confused but just ask us if you hit those points and care enough. I doubt you will though, they are so minor. Like a character name thrown randomly in a sentence etc.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jun 6, 2016

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Finally beat the game and I loved that moment where the final boss fucks with you and tries to delete your save data. That poor bastard didn't stand a chance to quad wield ninja Edea with hawkeye warheads. It's a shame that ba'als were underutilized and the character special move themes are nowhere near as good as they were in default but overall I really liked it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'd play Default first because Default->Second works fine, but the reverse would be a lot worse. A good chunk of why Default goes from a good game to a great game for me relies on a plot twist Second spoils within the first minute.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Also, Default has some of the best music for a JRPG in ages. Second's is still good, don't get me wrong, but very little could live up to That Person's Name Is.

Plus... Let's face it, it's way more fun to figure out the twist on your own than having it spelled out for you at the start of the sequel.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Default has the huge glaring issue of a terrible period in the game (people call it the second half but it's shorter than that). It gets really boring for a while

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's true but it's mostly fixed by not doing the sidequests in chapter 6 (and maybe chapter 5).

So, that's my advice to new Default players: skip the sidequests in chapter 6, and maybe chapter 5 if you get bored in the middle of them.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

Also, Default has some of the best music for a JRPG in ages. Second's is still good, don't get me wrong, but very little could live up to That Person's Name Is.

Plus... Let's face it, it's way more fun to figure out the twist on your own than having it spelled out for you at the start of the sequel.

Controversial opinion: I like the new asterisk boss theme better than He Of The Name.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Also, The Bravely Default asterisk boss music is still in this game.

Another controversial opinion: Bravely Default's music is actually pretty boring, except for the one boss tune that everyone loves.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think it's main problem is that it's too bombastic. Like every song is some critical, decisive boss fight music. Which works pretty drat well for Wicked Flight, not so much for the one you hear for most of the bosses. I actually found myself liking the returning music besides that one a lot, like the first time you hear the "normal" boss music (even if you can't actually hear it then).

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Leofish posted:

Another controversial opinion: Bravely Default's music is actually pretty boring, except for the one boss tune that everyone loves.

Except that's every boss tune. All of them, precious darlings. Also, the random encounter music. There is not a millisecond in battle where music is not great (bravely second the gameplay mechanic does not have music but it's stopping time so milliseconds do not pass :smug:).

The town themes are so great Bravely Second just had to use them all again.

And it actually manages to have good cave music, something JRPGs have failed to do before and since.

I mean, it's telling that when Edea enters in Bravely Second, it doesn't play her new special move theme, it falls back on good ol' Baby Bird.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Plus that moment involving you-know-who's theme during the final sidequest in Second. :allears:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I'm maybe 4 or 5 hours in and I really like it so far. The combat is simple enough to understand, the characters are charming. Just one question, no one character is better suited to a job right? Right now I have Yew in Wizard, Edea in Charioteer, and Tiz and Magnolia in Freelancer at the moment

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

I'm maybe 4 or 5 hours in and I really like it so far. The combat is simple enough to understand, the characters are charming. Just one question, no one character is better suited to a job right? Right now I have Yew in Wizard, Edea in Charioteer, and Tiz and Magnolia in Freelancer at the moment

Characters have very, very, very slightly different aptitudes. Please ignore them and do whatever.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
That said you've already fallen into the correct ones anyway.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Carlosologist posted:

The differences are practically nonexistant between the characters. We're talking the most marginal of margins. They are pretty much all the same, so just give whoever whatever jobs you think fit.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I got to the part where I've got all but 3? of the asterisks and the game wants me to basically get the compass again. I feel like the game has started to lose it's steam at this point.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm astonished anyone could see the transition into the second act and think the game is losing steam

The game does lose steam imo but only in the actual finale which you're still a decent distance from.

e: I guess you just came off of sidequest hell, so it's more understandable. That's the last part like that though

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 6, 2016

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I got to the part where I've got all but 3? of the asterisks and the game wants me to basically get the compass again. I feel like the game has started to lose it's steam at this point.

Much like the beginning of the chapter: it doesn't play out the way it did before either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Also, make sure to have someone with Thief's skillset equipped for the boss at the end of that dungeon.

• Locked thread