Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wombat74
Sep 30, 2005

Corporate Fat Cat
Here's another view of the house with the collapsed swimming pool...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

gay picnic defence posted:

Can much be done about that other than putting in a big rockwall? They had to do that down here at Somers and there isn't any beach at high tide, the water comes right up to the rocks. I'll be funny when the insurance companies stop insuring properties like this because of climate change.

If I remember my coastal geography days, I don't think rockwalls really help that much and, in some cases, actually make things worse.

The only thing that can be done is 'don't live there'.

wombat74
Sep 30, 2005

Corporate Fat Cat

Milky Moor posted:

If I remember my coastal geography days, I don't think rockwalls really help that much and, in some cases, actually make things worse.

Yeah, basic geomorphology here. A rockwall is good to help retain a beach in a certain area, but most beaches have active migration of sand in a prevailing direction. The wall blocks the natural motion of this sand, which leads to areas "downstream" of the rockwall experiencing increased rates of erosion (as, obviously, the material that would otherwise come along to replenish the sand lost to the sea is now sitting behind a dirty big rock wall).

This is exactly what happened at multiple areas along the Gold Coast in the 80s that ultimately led to things like Kirra Beach just north of Coolongatta) being washed into the sea.

The whole Gold Coast from the 80s is a great example of what not to do when trying to manage a coastline

edit: holy crap, I actually got to use knowledge gained in my degree. First time in God only knows how long that's happened

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Milky Moor posted:

If we build the wall from the ruins of the bourgie homes it'll help.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

wombat74 posted:

Wow, how are those white block of flats still be standing? It's totally hosed the coastline

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Can much be done about that other than putting in a big rockwall? They had to do that down here at Somers and there isn't any beach at high tide, the water comes right up to the rocks. I'll be funny when the insurance companies stop insuring properties like this because of climate change.

apparently residents rejected one because it would be ugly. the northern beaches are the worst.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

wombat74 posted:

:wotwot: : What do you mean my pool fell off?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

In all fairness that's a pretty well constructed pool.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Phone posting but wtf greens is this real? "This morning we announced our plan to put solar panels on the rooftops of every household and every business."

Aren't photovoltaic panels still fairly environmentally damaging to manufacture (silicon tetrachloride) and increasingly panels are made in the countries less likely to look after the environment and their workers? Has that changed? What happens years from now when the panels wear out and need replacing? Can you recycle them (apparently yes if the facilities are available) or does this policy generate a huge pile of trash for future people to worry about? It's a problem if they aren't considering the full life cycle of the panels.

I've always believed in centralised large scale power generation so that repair, maintenance and end of life site clean up aren't the direct responsibility of the homeowners. Solar thermal for example. Putting panels on every roof seems like an incredibly inefficient way to do it. Maybe that's part of the plan though, this inefficiency creates more work for more installers and more maintenance jobs for post installation panel cleaners, recycling facilities etc?

I'm interested if there is any evidence that they've thought this through.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

wombat74 posted:

Yeah, basic geomorphology here. A rockwall is good to help retain a beach in a certain area, but most beaches have active migration of sand in a prevailing direction. The wall blocks the natural motion of this sand, which leads to areas "downstream" of the rockwall experiencing increased rates of erosion (as, obviously, the material that would otherwise come along to replenish the sand lost to the sea is now sitting behind a dirty big rock wall).

This is exactly what happened at multiple areas along the Gold Coast in the 80s that ultimately led to things like Kirra Beach just north of Coolongatta) being washed into the sea.

The whole Gold Coast from the 80s is a great example of what not to do when trying to manage a coastline

edit: holy crap, I actually got to use knowledge gained in my degree. First time in God only knows how long that's happened

Haha, thanks! My knowledge is from hastily cramming it from needing to teach senior geography despite no experience or knowledge.

That before and after picture, though - I wish I had that for the lesson. It's one thing to say to kids, hey, this is what could happen and why knowing about erosion is important and being able to show them something like that.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Stoca Zola posted:

Phone posting but wtf greens is this real? "This morning we announced our plan to put solar panels on the rooftops of every household and every business."

Aren't photovoltaic panels still fairly environmentally damaging to manufacture (silicon tetrachloride) and increasingly panels are made in the countries less likely to look after the environment and their workers? Has that changed? What happens years from now when the panels wear out and need replacing? Can you recycle them (apparently yes if the facilities are available) or does this policy generate a huge pile of trash for future people to worry about? It's a problem if they aren't considering the full life cycle of the panels.

I've always believed in centralised large scale power generation so that repair, maintenance and end of life site clean up aren't the direct responsibility of the homeowners. Solar thermal for example. Putting panels on every roof seems like an incredibly inefficient way to do it. Maybe that's part of the plan though, this inefficiency creates more work for more installers and more maintenance jobs for post installation panel cleaners, recycling facilities etc?

If the alternative is burning coal, then rooftop solar isn't a bad alternative. At least the components and by products aren't being directly pumped into the atmosphere. It's not perfect but is something that can be improved on if there was a concerted effort by the government.

You might be surprised to find how much power is being generated by rooftop solar. Most of the growth in renewables is due to it. If we follow the historical growth, we wouldn't be too far off from roofing everything anyway. I don't have the numbers on me and I'm on my phone, but you can find the figures on the Australian energy market regulators site.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

If there is an intention to certify ethically made panels, if there is a full life cycle scheme for deploying, maintaining, replacing and disposing of panels, then give me panels I'll have panels everywhere. I just want some evidence that some thought has been put into it. Otherwise, it's the same argument as nuclear (better than coal, makes lots of power) and the same argument against it (mining raw materials makes a huge mess, we don't have the infrastructure to deal with the end of life mess). Yes it's a smaller scale and doesn't have the same stigma that nuclear has but we don't want to engage lazy thinking about this (just because on the surface it looks green). I don't even know what scale we're talking, what is the potential surface area of every single roof? What quantity of panel material will need to be disposed of in 30-40 years?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Tokamak posted:

If the alternative is burning coal, then rooftop solar isn't a bad alternative. At least the components and by products aren't being directly pumped into the atmosphere. It's not perfect but is something that can be improved on if there was a concerted effort by the government.

You might be surprised to find how much power is being generated by rooftop solar. Most of the growth in renewables is due to it. If we follow the historical growth, we wouldn't be too far off from roofing everything anyway. I don't have the numbers on me and I'm on my phone, but you can find the figures on the Australian energy market regulators site.

Yeah, basically as I understand it those are only issues that exist if you don't consider the alternatives and the greater picture.

So thankyou, Stoca Zola, for coming to us from a week in the future to tell us what we're gonna hear from the L-parties in the leadup to the election.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Stoca Zola posted:

Rooftop solar isn't perfect for the reasons you've given, but it's a hell of a lot better than burning coal. It sounds like a populist policy (Reduce your BILLS!!!) that also white ants the existing coal fired generators which are already under massive pressure from renewable energy. If they'd come out and said they wanted to spend the same amount of money on a couple of large scale renewable energy projects it would probably be met with derision but rooftop solar subsidies have a chance of being supported by some of the other parties.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Stoca Zola posted:

Where is this from, do you have a link? google doesnt help

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
apparently coogee surf club got hosed up by the strom

:itwaspoo:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/australi...ty-clean-energy

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Stoca Zola posted:

If there is an intention to certify ethically made panels, if there is a full life cycle scheme for deploying, maintaining, replacing and disposing of panels, then give me panels I'll have panels everywhere. I just want some evidence that some thought has been put into it. Otherwise, it's the same argument as nuclear (better than coal, makes lots of power) and the same argument against it (mining raw materials makes a huge mess, we don't have the infrastructure to deal with the end of life mess). Yes it's a smaller scale and doesn't have the same stigma that nuclear has but we don't want to engage lazy thinking about this (just because on the surface it looks green). I don't even know what scale we're talking, what is the potential surface area of every single roof? What quantity of panel material will need to be disposed of in 30-40 years?

well m8 you see rooftop solar is good because it gives jobs to hardworking aussie tradies, the pillar on which this great nation was built

large scale, industrialised green energy?! what are ya, some kind of hippie poof?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
That article has almost no correlation to what was being panicked about up thread

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Sorry I had it in an email from RDN, I'll paste it. Mostly it was a begging for donations email, very very light on the details.

quote:

Dear Stoca Zola

I have never been prouder than I am right now — of our party, of my parliamentary colleagues, of people like you.

This morning we announced our plan to put solar panels on the rooftops of every household and every business. While the Liberal, National and Labor parties have sold out to the big coal lobby, we Greens are driving the clean energy revolution our economy, and planet, needs.

But announcing courageous policies is only half the job.

​​With only 26 days until Election Day, our challenge now is making sure every Australian hears about them. Will you donate $25 to get our TV ad in front of millions of Australians?
.... and so on, with more uplifting positive words, and more begging for donations.

I'm home now so I went and found some links:

http://greens.org.au/sites/greens.org.au/files/Community%20Owned%20Renewable%20Energy%20Initiative.pdf
http://greens.org.au/sites/greens.org.au/files/20160606_Repowering%20our%20homes%20and%20businesses.pdf

There's some info in there about changing how the energy networks work which is good, and certainly I agree that community owned power gen is in line with green thinking. But so far I've seen nothing that looks further ahead than getting connected and getting it working.

I'm really not against solar done right, or done with oversight I guess. They're not scary or dangerous, they don't nuke birds like solar thermal does; they just sit bolted on the roof and thats pretty easy to understand for most people.

Trying to research installers I've seen stories online like "We applied for the rebate, paid extra for the good panels made in Germany, but the installer said they ran out of stock and substituted a different brand and wouldn't refund the difference" or "I've only had solar panels installed for 6 months, my inverter's broken, and it costs a fortune to get the guy to come up from Adelaide to fix it and also they say the warranty is only for the panels" or "I tried to contact the company that installed my solar panels but the phone number just rings out and no one answers".

If the greens are going to push hard for rooftop solar they need to be able to address poo poo like this or it will just look like a giant joke. And maybe yeah I'm being a bit dumb and panicky about stuff that isn't that hard to deal with 40 years from now when its actually an issue. I was just hoping for some longer term thinking from the greens since thats supposed to be what they're about.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Thanks for the links. I agree with you, the stuff in the pdfs sounds cool but the idea of just throwing solar panels on things sounds dumb. Maybe theres more to it than that but it sounds dumb as is

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

This article is from 2013 so I don't know if manufacturing has changed considerably in that time.
http://www.solarindustrymag.com/online/issues/SI1309/FEAT_05_Hazardous_Materials_Used_In_Silicon_PV_Cell_Production_A_Primer.html

quote:

The extremely potent greenhouse gas sulfur hexafluoride is used to clean the reactors used in silicon production. The Intergovernmental Panel of Climate Change considers sulfur hexafluoride to be the most potent greenhouse gas per molecule; one ton of sulfur hexafluoride has a greenhouse effect equivalent to that of 25,000 tons of CO2..... It is imperative that a replacement for sulfur hexafluoride be found, because accidental or fugitive emissions will greatly undermine the reductions in greenhouse gas emissions gained by using solar power.

I don't know if it's true to say solar panels are better than burning coal. Ideally none of the sulfur hexaflouride escapes into the environment, but what if the manufacturer is a little sloppy? Plus the short article in the link lists the other parts of the process and what chemicals/materials are used. I'm not making poo poo up when I say the manufacture of solar panels has the potential to make a huge toxic mess.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

So does the production of Lithium Ion battery cells in Telsa's, Leafs, Volts, Powerwalls etc. But its an improvement over the "used once and pumped into the atmosphere" usage of fossil fuels!

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Nuclear energy isn't viable for Australia at all. Even if we were going down the nuclear route (and yeah good luck getting the public opinion in favour of that), we're too late into it. Molten salt solar would be a far better option and would be deliverable in a much shorter time frame. For nuclear power, you're looking easily three to four decades to get the infrastructure and facilities up and running to the point where coal would be able to be shut down.

Solar isn't perfect, but it's the least lovely viable option out there.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

poo poo, if you're being that much of a smartarse and splitting hairs on how ethical things are, why the gently caress do you have a smartphone? Like, if you're going to get that in depth about "well we shouldn't do solar because of x" maybe you should apply to everything if you're genuine in your logic.

Going solar isn't the perfect, pure ethical solution you're wanting, no. But it's still the most ethical of all current power generation technologies so that to do anything else would be unethical.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

wombat74 posted:

I wept a single tear of joy.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Stoca Zola posted:

that isn't the argument against nuclear, the argument against nuclear is that it would have a huge startup cost and take an extremely large time to fully mature by which point renewables will be the clear cut better option. you may notice that rooftop solar has neither of these properties :ssh:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Whats the current price (including construction costs) per MW over say 20 years of nuclear power compared to something like wind or solar power?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

CrazyTolradi posted:

Nuclear energy isn't viable for Australia at all. Even if we were going down the nuclear route (and yeah good luck getting the public opinion in favour of that), we're too late into it. Molten salt solar would be a far better option and would be deliverable in a much shorter time frame. For nuclear power, you're looking easily three to four decades to get the infrastructure and facilities up and running to the point where coal would be able to be shut down.

Solar isn't perfect, but it's the least lovely viable option out there.

Is this aimed at me? I'm not pro-nuclear in any way shape or form, I only brought it up as a comparative example of a technology that some people think would solve all our problems while other people think is far too dangerous/messy/not in my back yard. What's the difference between LibertyCat saying "oh chuck a reactor/nuclear dump in the desert, no one lives there no one cares" and people who don't give a poo poo where their solar panel comes from saying "oh chuck a silicon manufacturing plant in China, it's only polluting them not us, no one cares". I'd rather we had a heap of locally made solar thermal, to replace the gaps left by closed coal plants. And if we made them here, we'd both be increasing local jobs, developing local expertise and would have regulatory control over the conditions the solar concentrators were produced in. At the moment as far as I know, we have no influence over the conditions that photovoltaic cells are produced in, the best we can do is research and buy the least worst ones. Oh stuff that, lets just buy the cheapest ones, right?

CrazyTolradi posted:

poo poo, if you're being that much of a smartarse and splitting hairs on how ethical things are, why the gently caress do you have a smartphone? Like, if you're going to get that in depth about "well we shouldn't do solar because of x" maybe you should apply to everything if you're genuine in your logic.

Going solar isn't the perfect, pure ethical solution you're wanting, no. But it's still the most ethical of all current power generation technologies so that to do anything else would be unethical.

Okay so that was aimed at me, right. I wear hand-me-down clothes from my sister and other family members. I use the same phone until it breaks. I don't travel, I rarely drive. This isn't about me or my choices. I'm not the one advocating nationwide adoption of however many million solar panels for every single roof in the whole country - that's what the Greens have come up with, and they are the party who present themselves as standing for ethical and sustainable solutions. It isn't too much to ask whether there is any intention to make sure this really is sustainable. I would love to see a parallel Greens policy on solar panel recycling but at the moment it seems to me like they've left that as a problem for someone else in the future to figure out and that, to me, is not good enough.

BBJoey posted:

that isn't the argument against nuclear, the argument against nuclear is that it would have a huge startup cost and take an extremely large time to fully mature by which point renewables will be the clear cut better option. you may notice that rooftop solar has neither of these properties :ssh:

Sure maybe that's the line they're going with these days, but the argument that swayed me against nuclear power was that it makes a loving mess getting it out of the ground, it makes a mess refining it, and it makes a mess trying to find somewhere to get rid of the waste fuel once it's done. It doesn't make the "too little too late" argument any less true and I understand that treehugging environmentalism is falling out of fashion these days.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

http://www.cleanenergyauthority.com/solar-energy-news/green-illusions-distorts-solar-on-environment-060712/

quote:

A press release circulated on Monday about a new book Green Illusions by Ozzie Zehner. The release was headlined: “Solar Cells Linked to Greenhouse Gases Over 23,000 Times Worse than Carbon Dioxide According to New Book, Green Illusions”. With the nature of the attack on solar it might be surprising that book is actually a pro-environment book that challenges readers to shift their perspective on energy use. But the claims that solar produces greenhouse gasses that are so harmful is alarmist at best and misleading, considering that other energy sources produces these chemicals and in greater quantities. 

The release contends that the solar is one of the leading emitters of hexafluoroethane (C2F6), nitrogen trifluoride (NF3), and sulfur hexafluoride (SF6). The book refines that a little by mentioning that these materials are used in the manufacturing process. But since they’re not spewing into the air from a smokestack there are more opportunities to mitigate their emission. Unfortunately that doesn’t always happen. The book cites an instance in China where a polysilicon manufacturer dumped tons of silicon tetrachloride behind a school. But all of this is operating within an island. 

Catching wind of the release the National Renewable Energy Laboratory responded to a CEA request. The lab recently conducted a comparative life-cycle analysis of greenhouse gas emissions for energy sources, including solar, coal, and natural gas. “NREL’s meta-analysis of studies, which evaluated life cycle (cradle-to-grave) greenhouse-gas emissions for various generating technologies, found this year that the median amount of greenhouse gases emitted were 45 grams per kilowatt hour for solar photovoltaics,  about  500 grams per kilowatt hour for natural  gas and 1,001 grams per kilowatt hour for coal,” NREL said in response.

At its site Life Cycle Assessment Harmonization Results and Findings, NREL said it identified 2,100 published references and subjected them to three rounds of critical review from experts before considering them. Ultimately it found that 14 percent of them were worthy sources for greenhouse gas emissions data. Including some of the exotic greenhouse gasses mentioned in Green Illusions. “The range for PV was from about 10 to about 200 grams per kilowatt hour,” said NREL scientist Garvin Heath, principal author of the analysis. Even that highest estimate for PV was about 40 percent that of the average for natural gas, and 20 percent of the average for coal, based on the meta-analysis of 46 estimates from 17 studies, NREL said. 

An NREL analyst, Austin Brown, honed in on the SF6 emissions, observing that 86 percent such emissions stem from its use as an electrical insulator for electrical transmission. Only 7 percent is from manufacturing semiconductors and only a subset of that is for solar cells. “Brown also noted that while SF6 is a potent greenhouse gas on a per-molecule basis, it still is a very small part of the greenhouse gas problem—about 2/10ths of 1 percent in the last inventory,” NREL said. “While exotic gases are important to take into account in any energy strategy, CO2 is clearly the top priority.” 

While solar is not the end-all to all our energy woes, it certainly doesn’t deserve to be demonized as it was in the release or the book. The book ultimately seems to argue for energy taxes, efficiency and other conservations efforts to curb the appetite for energy. But one has to wonder if throwing solar under the wheels so ingloriously is any way to help achieve the greater goals of reducing climate change and greenhouse gas emissions.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Whats the current price (including construction costs) per MW over say 20 years of nuclear power compared to something like wind or solar power?
Oh gently caress not this again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economics_of_nuclear_power_plants

Start there.

The simple answer is the huge upfront chunk cost is not considered to be economically viable by a bunch of people better informed than me. The IPCC say that roof top solar is the best option and it has a small incremental cost. To give you a taste of how deep the controversy goes try reconciling these to each other:

http://www.ucsusa.org/nuclear-power/cost-nuclear-power#.V1VOx_l9670 Nuclear is impossibly expensive.
http://www.world-nuclear.org/information-library/economic-aspects/economics-of-nuclear-power.aspx Nuclear is the cheapest and cleanest by far.

And before we walk too far down the nuclear power rabbit hole:

http://www.world-nuclear.org/information-library/economic-aspects/economics-of-nuclear-power.aspx Five years on and one hundred thousand people are still displaced. The cores continue to irradiate the ground and sea water with no viable 'shut down' strategy in place. Safe as houses.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Yeah but I heard that thorium would make an entirely safe and cheap power supply with absolutely no weapons produceable waster and it's the Greens fault that we're still using co- :suicide:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Cartoon posted:

Five years on and one hundred thousand people are still displaced. The cores continue to irradiate the ground and sea water with no viable 'shut down' strategy in place. Safe as houses.

Enough about the grid m8

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Stoca Zola posted:

Okay so that was aimed at me, right. I wear hand-me-down clothes from my sister and other family members. I use the same phone until it breaks. I don't travel, I rarely drive. This isn't about me or my choices. I'm not the one advocating nationwide adoption of however many million solar panels for every single roof in the whole country - that's what the Greens have come up with, and they are the party who present themselves as standing for ethical and sustainable solutions. It isn't too much to ask whether there is any intention to make sure this really is sustainable. I would love to see a parallel Greens policy on solar panel recycling but at the moment it seems to me like they've left that as a problem for someone else in the future to figure out and that, to me, is not good enough.

Ok, so you reuse clothing and don't buy new phones unnecessarily. Cool, you're doing that because, while those items aren't completely ethical in how they're produced, for you it's the most ethical option. That's cool.

Here's the problem though, if solar power isn't ethical enough for you (i.e from pollution caused during manufacturing process) then what is? The way you present the fact that there's pollution, you make it seem like why bother with solar if there's some pollution from it?

Why? Because it's less environmentally impacting than coal, oil, nuclear or any other viable option. Environmental impact isn't some that is either there or it isn't.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

The long wind up time for nuclear is mostly a result of regulatory issues and waste isnt an issue with breeder reactors. I dont think renewables are ever going to be able to meet the worlds power demands, at least not in the next few decades. Of the feasible options nuclear looks the least horrible imo. More people died as a result of the evacuation of fukushima than would have had they stayed.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/09/22/science/when-radiation-isnt-the-real-risk.html?smid=tw-nytimesscience&smtyp=cur&referer=

quote:

This spring, four years after the nuclear accident at Fukushima, a small group of scientists met in Tokyo to evaluate the deadly aftermath.

No one has been killed or sickened by the radiation — a point confirmed last month by the International Atomic Energy Agency. Even among Fukushima workers, the number of additional cancer cases in coming years is expected to be so low as to be undetectable, a blip impossible to discern against the statistical background noise.

But about 1,600 people died from the stress of the evacuation — one that some scientists believe was not justified by the relatively moderate radiation levels at the Japanese nuclear plant.

Epidemiologists speak of “stochastic deaths,” those they predict will happen in the future because of radiation or some other risk. With no names attached to the numbers, they remain an abstraction.

But these other deaths were immediate and unequivocally real.

“The government basically panicked,” said Dr. Mohan Doss, a medical physicist who spoke at the Tokyo meeting, when I called him at his office at Fox Chase Cancer Center in Philadelphia. “When you evacuate a hospital intensive care unit, you cannot take patients to a high school and expect them to survive

Among other victims were residents of nursing homes. And there were the suicides. “It was the fear of radiation that ended up killing people,” he said.

Most of the fallout was swept out to sea by easterly winds, and the rest was dispersed and diluted over the land. Had the evacuees stayed home, their cumulative exposure over four years, in the most intensely radioactive locations, would have been about 70 millisieverts — roughly comparable to receiving a high-resolution whole-body diagnostic scan each year. But those hot spots were anomalies.

By Dr. Doss’s calculations, most residents would have received much less, about 4 millisieverts a year. The average annual exposure from the natural background radiation of the earth is 2.4 millisieverts.

How the added effect of the fallout would have compared with that of the evacuation depends on the validity of the “linear no-threshold model,” which assumes that any amount of radiation, no matter how small, causes some harm.

Dr. Doss is among scientists who question that supposition, one built into the world’s radiation standards. Below a certain threshold, they argue, low doses are harmless and possibly even beneficial — a long-debated phenomenon called radiation hormesis.

Recently he and two other researchers, Carol S. Marcus of Harbor-U.C.L.A. Medical Center in Los Angeles and Mark L. Miller of Sandia National Laboratories in Albuquerque,petitioned the Nuclear Regulatory Commission to revise its rules to avoid overreactions to what may be nonexistent threats.

The period for public comments is still open, and when it is over, there will be a mass of conflicting evidence to puzzle through.

A full sievert of radiation is believed to eventually cause fatal cancers in about 5 percent of the people exposed. Under the linear no-threshold model, a millisievert would impose one-one thousandth of the risk: 0.005 percent, or five deadly cancers in a population of 100,000.

About twice that many people were evacuated from a 20-kilometer area near the Fukushima reactors. By avoiding what would have been an average cumulative exposure of 16 millisieverts, the number of cancer deaths prevented was perhaps 160, or 10 percent of the total who died in the evacuation itself.

But that estimate assumes the validity of the current standards. If low levels of radiation are less harmful, then the fallout might not have caused any increase in the cancer rate.

The idea of hormesis goes further, proposing that weak radiation can actually reduce a person’s risk. Life evolved in a mildly radioactive environment, and some laboratory experiments and animal studiesindicate that low exposures unleash protective antioxidants and stimulate the immune system, conceivably protecting against cancers of all kinds.

Epidemiological studies of survivors of Hiroshima and Nagasaki have been interpreted both ways — as demonstratingand refuting hormesis. But because radiation regulations assume there is no safe level, clinical trials testing low-dose therapy have been impossible to conduct.

One experiment, however, occurred inadvertently three decades ago in Taiwan after about 200 buildings housing 10,000 people were constructed from steel contaminated with radioactive cobalt. Over the years, residents were exposed to an average dose of about 10.5 millisieverts a year, more than double the estimated average for Fukushima.

Yet a study in 2006 found fewer cancer casescompared with the general public: 95, when 115 were expected.

Neither the abstract of the paper nor of asecond one published two years latermention the overall decrease. (The authors speculated that the apartment dwellers may have been healthier than the population at large.) The focus instead was on weaker results suggesting a few excess leukemia and breast cancer cases — and on a parsing of the data showing an overall increased cancer risk for residents exposed before age 30.

More recently, a study of radon by a Johns Hopkins scientist suggested that people living with higher concentrations of the radioactive gas had correspondingly lower rates of lung cancer. If so, then homeowners investing in radon mitigation to meet federal safety standards may be slightly increasing their cancer risk. These and similar findings have also been disputed.

All research like this is bedeviled by “confounders” — differences between populations that must be accounted for. Some are fairly easy (older people and smokers naturally get more cancer), but there is always some statistical wiggle room. As with so many issues, what should be a scientific argument becomes rhetorical, with opposing interest groups looking at the data with just the right squint to resolve it according to their needs.

There is more here at stake than agonizing over irreversible acts, like the evacuation of Fukushima. Fear of radiation, even when diluted to homeopathic portions, compels people to forgo lifesaving diagnostic tests and radiotherapies.

We’re bad at balancing risks, we humans, and we live in a world of continual uncertainty. Trying to avoid the horrors we imagine, we risk creating ones that are real.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
While you morons are arguing about nuclear power for the millionth time, north sydney beach front property is falling into the ocean for the second night in a row.

quote:

PROPERTY owners on Sydney’s northern beaches are waiting anxiously for the worst of a nightmare storm to pass while their homes teeter agonisingly close to falling into the ocean.
A second king tide in two days is expected to smash into the shore at Collaroy and Narrabeen after huge waves caused massive coastal erosion.
Photographs at first light on Monday showed significant damage to a number of properties.
Meteorologist Phil Perkins said the king tide will peak at 9pm “with the main window of threat” between 6pm and midnight.

uncivil mittens
Nov 1, 2010
Fun Shoe

The long wind up time for nuclear is mostly a result of regulatory issues...

Wrap it fellas, unregulated nuclear power for all, nothing more to see here.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Does this article completely ignore the fact that a lot of people were evacuated due to tidal flooding? I didn't see anything about it.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Jumpingmanjim posted:

While you morons are arguing about nuclear power for the millionth time, north sydney beach front property is falling into the ocean for the second night in a row.

allahu akbar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorfob
Feb 10, 2007

CrazyTolradi posted:

The only ethical solution is to use humans as fuel.

• Locked thread