Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Papercut posted:

I finally saw my first salt tonight, the other team flipped their poo poo when they lost the payload portion of King's Row to 2x Torb + Bastion.

The first salt I encountered in this game was from a goon in a Discord-organized goon group... Was pretty lame. Thankfully he left after we lost the game that prompted his NaCl spewing and the rest of the group had fun for a while until we all split up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Lady Naga posted:

Also I don't know what's going on on your end but I'm getting 120 just fine
My benchmarking says the same, the rendered framerate is stable at my monitor refresh rate + 10 but the actual frames are only updating at a little over 30 FPS.

The difference is really noticeable to me. Probably why I get headaches whenever I play this game for more than 2 hours.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy74uJFBv4U

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Minrad posted:

my stacks mostly consistent of people picking incoherent messes and d.va and zenyatta and then complaining about them picking reinhardt/mercy/lucio/mccree/pharah/soldier

Yeah, the weakness of the game is those kinds of teams are obviously hilariously more powerful but not nearly as interesting. I've won playing as that with teammates a zillion times. I want to play other characters!

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Lady Naga posted:

You don't need to use Vsync at all, there's a frame limiter option in-game. Use that instead.
It locks the framerate to 70. Both of my monitors are 60.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Why is Noted Badlord Dva near the top of the Masteroverwatch winrate charts

a few pages late on this but d.va has one good niche and that is bum rushing objectives to refresh overtime. this means that good players who know to exploit this will push her winrate way above what it would be.

for general use on maps, assuming skilled opponents, she is pretty weak because she is this weird mix of cooldown based frontliner and slow and fat and low ranged assassin but people who are playing her are also not likely to be running into players who would exploit that badness -i.e. those clips you see of d.va actually getting kills with her ult.

when people say hanzo and dva are bad it means that there are much better alternatives for what they try to do, assuming reasonably competent players.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Hanzo is not bad. His shotgun arrow basically ensures a kill whenever it is off cooldown and his spammable xray vision is super good. His ultimate is easy to avoid but if used up close it can still wipe out enemy teams. Too many hanzos try to be long range snipers when he's much more suited as a mid range skirmisher

D'va is just a lesser chaos ape

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zoness posted:

a few pages late on this but d.va has one good niche and that is bum rushing objectives to refresh overtime. this means that good players who know to exploit this will push her winrate way above what it would be.

its good for stalling points for the purpose of stopwatch, but this game doesn't formally use that and having half your team as d.va is just going to get you run over if most don't go back and change after clearing the point (which would make them not show up as a "win" game for that ladder).

Jejoma
Nov 5, 2008
poor sports are no fun

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Countblanc posted:

its good for stalling points for the purpose of stopwatch, but this game doesn't formally use that and having half your team as d.va is just going to get you run over if most don't go back and change after clearing the point (which would make them not show up as a "win" game for that ladder).

Yeah I was mostly trying to think of a reason to use her in a game where the players were aware of her mechanics. Aside from that she's just good for shitstomping players who don't know how to deal with her very counterable moveset. Her ult is also ok for setting up for a high damage ult if the enemy team knows to use cover to dodge it, but reinhardt and zarya have much better setup ults, while winston generally just has a better kit with similar mobility.

Zzulu posted:

Hanzo is not bad. His shotgun arrow basically ensures a kill whenever it is off cooldown and his spammable xray vision is super good. His ultimate is easy to avoid but if used up close it can still wipe out enemy teams. Too many hanzos try to be long range snipers when he's much more suited as a mid range skirmisher

If you are trying to use hanzo as a mid range skirmisher there are probably at least 3 heroes that are better in that capacity one of them is still widowmaker.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jun 6, 2016

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Zoness posted:

Yeah I was mostly trying to think of a reason to use her in a game where the players were aware of her mechanics. Aside from that she's just good for shitstomping players who don't know how to deal with her very counterable moveset. Her ult is also ok for setting up for a high damage ult if the enemy team knows to use cover to dodge it, but reinhardt and zarya have much better setup ults, while winston generally just has a better kit with similar mobility.

If you are trying to use hanzo as a mid range skirmisher there are probably at least 3 heroes that are better in that capacity one of them is still widowmaker.

I use D. Va to push people of the point followed by shooting, or blocking bullets depending, while returning to cover. the guns are great for taking out weaker enemies when up close, or finishing people fighting other allies. The ultimate is used either to get people of the point and buy my team time, or to clear a point if its a capture area (whether by death or them running away doesn't matter, it buys time either way). It is all about harassing and being annoying as her.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

WirelessPillow posted:

I use D. Va to push people of the point followed by shooting, or blocking bullets depending, while returning to cover. the guns are great for taking out weaker enemies when up close, or finishing people fighting other allies. The ultimate is used either to get people of the point and buy my team time, or to clear a point if its a capture area (whether by death or them running away doesn't matter, it buys time either way). It is all about harassing and being annoying as her.

Right but these are things that just about any other tank can do better.

I have friends who play d.va (and is actually pretty good at her as far as her kit goes) and i've tried playing her myself. It's not that she's completely useless, it's just that compared to other characters with the ability to soak a shitload of bullets, she is generally worse at making use of her ability to soak those bullets.

The fact that the guns drop off so steeply and halve her movement speed is probably the biggest joke about her kit, really. Overall I feel like she tries to be this middle ground between reinhardt's frontal bulwark and winston's maneuverable dome placing kit but she ends up being the worst of both of those worlds. She ends up having better maneuverability than Winston but no abilities to really use with that maneuverability unless you are very creative with a couple of specific map locations.

As a pick to put on your team, her opportunity cost is too high in most situations. I also feel like that barring vertical mobility, most of the things you would want to do using D.VA can also be done with Reinhardt but more effectively given enough practice on the latter.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jun 6, 2016

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Zoness posted:

Right but these are things that just about any other tank can do better.

I have friends who play d.va (and is actually pretty good at her as far as her kit goes) and i've tried playing her myself. It's not that she's completely useless, it's just that compared to other characters with the ability to soak a shitload of bullets, she is generally worse at making use of her ability to soak those bullets.

The fact that the guns drop off so steeply and halve her movement speed is probably the biggest joke about her kit, really. Overall I feel like she tries to be this middle ground between reinhardt's frontal bulwark and winston's maneuverable dome placing kit but she ends up being the worst of both of those worlds. She ends up having better maneuverability than Winston but no abilities to really use with that maneuverability unless you are very creative with a couple of specific map locations.

As a pick to put on your team, her opportunity cost is too high in most situations.

She isn't there to soak up bullets, she is there to push people around, then vanish. Essentially she is a Tank version of Tracer. I also feel people underestimate what it means to push people back, I can target Reinhardt and push him and his shield back rendering the rest of his team open to be fired upon, It won't kill Reinhardt but that isn't my goal to begin with. I also don't plan to shoot people at range, but in the side routes or by boosting them into a corner and killing them there. She also renders bastion useless for 2 seconds, which is very useful.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Pushing people around as D.Va feels incredibly unsatisfying, to the point where it almost seems unintentional.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

My heart thawed for Winston today. I think I was used to how pubs play him, which is to jump into a pile of enemies, lay down a random barrier and then die. Today, I was using him to hunt down Pharah and provide extra damage in furballs, and he was a joy. I want to use him a lot more, now.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Lady Naga posted:

Pushing people around as D.Va feels incredibly unsatisfying, to the point where it almost seems unintentional.

I think the issue is that she doesn't do damage when bumping into people, so no hit sound or marker indicating that you are actually doing anything.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

WirelessPillow posted:

She isn't there to soak up bullets, she is there to push people around, then vanish. Essentially she is a Tank version of Tracer. I also feel people underestimate what it means to push people back, I can target Reinhardt and push him and his shield back rendering the rest of his team open to be fired upon, It won't kill Reinhardt but that isn't my goal to begin with. I also don't plan to shoot people at range, but in the side routes or by boosting them into a corner and killing them there. She also renders bastion useless for 2 seconds, which is very useful.

If you want someone who pushes people around and vanishes then Winston is much better.

I can't really think of any situation in which D.Va would be a better choice than Winston. I guess Defense Matrix can soak up more damage than Winston's barrier, but Winston's barrier is far more useful and has a wide range of purposes that aren't "hopefully absorb part of this ultimate assuming you're actually in your mech"

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure boosting at reinhardt as d.va is a good way to guarantee losing your mech. Also yes these are strategems that work well at a low level of play, which falls in line with why d.va can win a lot of games but see very little general usage in more organized games.

WirelessPillow posted:

I think the issue is that she doesn't do damage when bumping into people, so no hit sound or marker indicating that you are actually doing anything.

She actually does 25 damage when she crashes into people with her boosters, but that is a pretty trifling amount.

Also I don't think I've ever had to hide from d.va's ult for more than like, 2 seconds tops. There is almost always something on which to LoS the ability.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jun 6, 2016

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I really like Widow and do well with her in my mid-tier MMR but I would like her to be slightly nerfed just so that I can play hanzo without knowing in the back of my mind that I'm playing sub-optimally for no reason. There's literally nothing hanzo does that she doesn't do better, including AoE denial.

I think that she probably just needs to have her charge up time slightly increased and be unable to benefit from mercy's damage amp in sniper mode. I know that I have developed bad habits of just hitting body shots and following up with a half charged shot to finish off stragglers instead of nailing headshots with her due to her really forgiving sniping mechanics.

Re: Playing Zarya. You really need to use cover to play her effectively. Try to only take shield damage and jump out to cause mayhem before retreating. More than any of the other tanks, Zarya requires patient and deliberate positioning. You also need to have a good handle on reliably landing her right clicks at a distance in order to output an appreciable amount of damage. Even if you miss, remember that you're likely out damaging any scrub on your team that would have picked reinhardt or winston (let alone d'va) and are likely surviving longer.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Ddraig posted:

If you want someone who pushes people around and vanishes then Winston is much better.

I can't really think of any situation in which D.Va would be a better choice than Winston. I guess Defense Matrix can soak up more damage than Winston's barrier, but Winston's barrier is far more useful and has a wide range of purposes that aren't "hopefully absorb part of this ultimate assuming you're actually in your mech"

Depends on the map and situation, I like both and find that while both are good for pushing people around, they do it differently. Still figuring out all the mechanics of the games, but I find so far all Tanks serve a purpose, including D. Va.

Zoness posted:

I'm pretty sure boosting at reinhardt as d.va is a good way to guarantee losing your mech. Also yes these are strategems that work well at a low level of play, which falls in line with why d.va can win a lot of games but see very little general usage in more organized games.

She actually does 25 damage when she crashes into people with her boosters, but that is a pretty trifling amount.

Also I don't think I've ever had to hide from d.va's ult for more than like, 2 seconds tops. There is almost always something on which to LoS the ability.

Yeah her Ult only kills people not paying attention.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So apparently just before launch there was a small but rabid group of people on Tumblr who believed Pharah was a quadruple amputee because her model didn't appear to have room for proper arms/legs or something. When asked if she was an amputee or if it was just a normal suit, Blizz was like "it's just a suit guys" but the Tumblr people were all "that wasn't the right question to ask!! should have asked if she cut her limbs off to fit in the suit!! confirms nothing!" until Blizz later tweeted again "she has all her limbs, haha". Even this somehow ruffled their feathers because they took the 'haha' to be derogatory or something.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
As far as I can tell D.Va's sole purpose is to build up enemy ultimate at an elevated rate. Whenever there's only a single D.Va as our tank I know we're going to be in for a world of hurt.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Verranicus posted:

So apparently just before launch there was a small but rabid group of people on Tumblr who believed Pharah was a quadruple amputee because her model didn't appear to have room for proper arms/legs or something. When asked if she was an amputee or if it was just a normal suit, Blizz was like "it's just a suit guys" but the Tumblr people were all "that wasn't the right question to ask!! should have asked if she cut her limbs off to fit in the suit!! confirms nothing!" until Blizz later tweeted again "she has all her limbs, haha". Even this somehow ruffled their feathers because they took the 'haha' to be derogatory or something.

neat.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Ddraig posted:

As far as I can tell D.Va's sole purpose is to build up enemy ultimate at an elevated rate. Whenever there's only a single D.Va as our tank I know we're going to be in for a world of hurt.

At least it's 5% slower than roadhogs rate :haw:

anyway it is a good thing that blizzard is going to probably buff d.va

Zoness fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jun 6, 2016

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
The issue with D.va is fiiring her guns slows her down, but for Winston it doesn't. Or literally any other character in the game, she's the only one with this problem and it's pretty crippling because outside of close range her guns are trash.

Playing D.va most people just walk away from you if you shoot them and your guns do so little damage you're endlessly chasing them while they pound bullets into you for free ult. It's a shame because I love the characters abilities but their gun is just the worst.

Fans fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jun 6, 2016

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
The slowdown would be excusable if the gun did fair or even good damage at mid-range. Though that might start turning dva into a mobile ambushing bastion (with more health and the weak point on the front instead of the back)

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Just remove the slowdown, it's not like the guns are super powerful even at close range.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Winston's gun also does 54 dps. I think people who want to remove her movement penalty fail to realize how loving stupid and unfun playing against a 500 HP (nearly all of which is armor) character who can fly in, chase you down with 160+ dps weapon, and then fly away (pushing people out of the way if necessary) would be. If they remove her movement penalty they absolutely need to reduce her M1 damage, and at that point she's even more of a Winston and one of the two will just be completely redundant in the vast majority of situations. They need to adjust her in some other way - reduce falloff so she's better at killing barriers, make her cone more narrow so there's less spread and she rewards good tracking, etc. - if they don't want her to be really lame.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Zenyatta and Zarya own

I wish people would actually, y'know, get on the control point to contest it instead of trying to kill people on the control point from a distance (and failing), usually it's a hanzo or a torb that refuses to come out from behind his turret

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Dva's weapon can also headshot unlike Winston's, meaning a 100% movement speed Dva chasing after you could realistically be doing 250-300 dps with good aim and tracking.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lady Naga posted:

You don't need to use Vsync at all, there's a frame limiter option in-game. Use that instead.

But vsync is to remedy screen tearing, just limiting framerate doesn't do that :confused:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Countblanc posted:

Dva's weapon can also headshot unlike Winston's, meaning a 100% movement speed Dva chasing after you could realistically be doing 250-300 dps with good aim and tracking.

no but what if the heavy in TFC had basic movespeed while firing while also being able to conc jump. Bear with me, here,

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
rework her mech to be the RX-78-02 imo

everyone knows beam sabers are the poo poo

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Ignimbrite posted:

Zenyatta and Zarya own

I wish people would actually, y'know, get on the control point to contest it instead of trying to kill people on the control point from a distance (and failing), usually it's a hanzo or a torb that refuses to come out from behind his turret

I was playing with friends last night and every time the DPS would pick Pharah, Junkrat and a Sniper. Like I'm glad you're not terrible guys but pick someone who can stand on the loving point.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
I just found out that zarya is fun to play in koth matches. She melts winstons, she synergies well with mei, but definitely needs another tank and a healer around. I found all this out in pub matches surprisingly.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Ddraig posted:

Nah, D.Va has a dual purpose. She's there to suck up all the allied healing so useful people can't get damage boosted.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Rework DVA by removing her nerd-pandering rear end and replacing her with a healer that's fun to play for any length of time

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Is there a trick to getting your bnet battle tag to appear on Master Overwatch? Have I not played enough hours? Does it only rank the top amount and so I'm just no good enough to show up?

On PC and confused

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
does anyone else like to play this minigame where you're lucio and you go up and melee a d.va who is holding out her defensive matrix?

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Is there a trick to getting your bnet battle tag to appear on Master Overwatch? Have I not played enough hours? Does it only rank the top amount and so I'm just no good enough to show up?

On PC and confused

It populates your data as soon as you search for yourself and I've never tried an account it didn't work on. Your battletag is case sensitive and you need the numbers after it eg: NarutO#1234

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Hashy posted:

Rework DVA by removing her nerd-pandering rear end and replacing her with a healer that's fun to play for any length of time

goblin d.va is prob the best thing to come out of the overwatch "fandom" aside from grump dad 76