Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Noctone posted:

It's gonna be funny if LSH doesn't show up because then that makes the scene of the BwB hanging a dude some pretty on-the-nose trolling of bookreaders.

How so? Hanging dudes was always the BwB's thing. You know, ignoring the part where they'd only hang rapists and raiders and such. I'm not really sure what's going on with them at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Drunk in Space posted:

Yeah it's pretty weird. I think it might have worked if they'd given us more of an idea as to why the Waif would have such a hate-boner for her, because she is still human at the end of the day and perhaps her own training was rocky (perhaps Arya reminds her uncomfortably of her own weaknesses and difficulties adjusting to the role). I suppose you could say that there's some degree of jealousy there, that she fears Arya is going to take her place as Jaquen's favourite or something like that, but yeah, they really could have done more to develop that I think. Arya's whole story for the past couple of seasons has been very weak, which is sad because I always felt that her story up until Braavos was one of best in the series, both in the show and the books.

Well her arch is a pretty straightforward hero's journey so the writers might sort of have put it on autopilot to focus more on other plot-lines. It's too bad.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

The point is that the Waif should not have a hateboner at all, because she is Jaqen (as seen at the end of season 5) which leads us to believe that the Faceless Men don't have a personal identity. The reason the waif is portrayed as it she is on the show is that the producers/show writers only understand very basic narrative concepts and applied the "former teacher's pet growth resentful of the talented outsider" to the Arya situation to have a season long storyline.

Sure, it's dumb. You'll get no disagreement from me. Almost everything about the Waif on the show and her interactions with Arya has been poor. I don't even particularly like Jaquen in the role of the "Kindly Man," tbh. I mean, he's a great Jaquen, but he just doesn't feel right in his House of Black and White scenes (because it's not right, of course - he shouldn't be there). I'm wondering when he's going to activate his teleporter and get his rear end to the Citadel to continue his proper storyline and find out how to kill dragons or whatever the theory is.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Wow you guys must really have liked this episode, as no one has complained about Yara's "I'm going to gently caress the tits off of that one" line yet. That's some bad pussy level poo poo.

Great episode otherwise.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The Yara lesbian stuff seemed so unnecessary. Literally just HBO titillation.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Am I the only one bothered by the fact nobody cares that Jon Snow is a deserter from the NW? I mean, they made a big deal about the vows being for life and deserters being punished by death, and specially in the north. And then nobody has a problem with Jon being a free man again (although they do care that he is just a Snow), walking around recruiting support for a war he wanst supposed to be part of. So either they all stopped caring about it (which is dumb) or they know he is free from his vows because he died and was resurrected by a red priest, and dont care about that either (also dumb).

Arya's poo poo was really bad, and how someone said above: there's no way it wont be dumb. Hound scenes were cool but the BwB massacre was very dumb too.

Other than these dumb things, a good episode. Little lady Mormont was awesome

Soccus Nephropidae
Nov 1, 2010

When bread drinks milk,
it seems to get drunk.

WampaLord posted:

It was just embarrassing. Also loved Ian McShane's part and was sad to see it cut short, by the Bwb of all people? I am so confused.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Elias_Maluco posted:

they know he is free from his vows because he died and was resurrected by a red priest, and dont care about that either (also dumb).

deus ex lawyering

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Elias_Maluco posted:

Am I the only one bothered by ...

Yes

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

kcroy posted:

Good thing the trained assassin didn't just slit her throat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofQ6i9I1IYY

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Yall hating on an actual lesbian/bisexual woman addition is the most :psyduck: thing

If it was 100% pandering and not setting up how she'll interact with Dany we'd have seen them both naked.

Yara owns, Yaraerys forever

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

WampaLord posted:

Has there been a scene of a woman character enjoying some male whores in the show? I remember the gay guys are often banging prostitutes but that would have been a nice time to have Yara be like "wow essos has a lot of pretty manwhores, brb gonna gently caress the glans off this lysene twink"

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

nopantsjack posted:

Has there been a scene of a woman character enjoying some male whores in the show? I remember the gay guys are often banging prostitutes but that would have been a nice time to have Yara be like "wow essos has a lot of pretty manwhores, brb gonna gently caress the glans off this lysene twink"

Not too many women in the show have had the personality or freedom to pursue whores, Yara is the only one I'd say, although Ellaria Sand enjoyed quite a few with Oberyn.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Wow you guys must really have liked this episode, as no one has complained about Yara's "I'm going to gently caress the tits off of that one" line yet. That's some bad pussy level poo poo.

Great episode otherwise.

At least Yara's actress owned that scene and that line. 'Bad pussy' was nothing but cringe no matter how you slice it.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Well ok then

Soccus Nephropidae
Nov 1, 2010

When bread drinks milk,
it seems to get drunk.

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Yall hating on an actual lesbian/bisexual woman addition is the most :psyduck: thing

If it was 100% pandering and not setting up how she'll interact with Dany we'd have seen them both naked.

Hm yes there were no sex-crazed bisexual women in this show until now good point

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The three headed dragon are going to be a love trio: Daenerys-Yara-Ellaria. And they are going to kill all men

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean, Jon is not only a deserter (by loophole, admittedly), but he's also trotting around with an army of wildlings and an actual giant that he personally let cross the Wall. Mance Raydar was the boogeyman of the North when he was raising an army of wildlings on the other side of the Wall. It does seem kind of odd that nobody reacts more strongly than by telling him to bugger off.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
To be fair to the creators, if NotAsha becomes NotAshaQuentyn I'm A OK with this development.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Kajeesus posted:

I mean, Jon is not only a deserter (by loophole, admittedly), but he's also trotting around with an army of wildlings and an actual giant that he personally let cross the Wall. Mance Raydar was the boogeyman of the North when he was raising an army of wildlings on the other side of the Wall. It does seem kind of odd that nobody reacts more strongly than by telling him to bugger off.

nobody cares he is a deserter (although he isnt, on a technicality)

nobody cares he is harboring the wife of their Lord and aspiring to commit treason against him

nobody cares he was assassinated

nobody cares that he witnessed the white walker army in person

nobody cares he has a giant in his army even though the majority of people dont believe in giants

nobody cares HE WAS RESURRECTED FROM THE DEAD or has any questions about it all

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

C-SPAN Caller posted:

If it was Bronn who said "Im going to gently caress the tits off that one", you guys would be hailing it as the best line of the season.

stop complaining about stupid poo poo, there's an abundance of non-stupid poo poo to complain about.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Best episode of the season purely for the Riverlands scenes. Some actual tension, moral ambiguity and characterisation. Hard to know who to side with, hard to know how it's going to be resolved, Jaime and the Blackfish are both actual characters with a bit of depth. We had an actual medieval rear end setting with castles and drawbridges and armies, not just people whispering at each other in a tent or a palace solar. Things were happening and felt natural, it didn't move with the crushing inevitability of every other scene this season, including the "oh the hound's alive. now his new buddy is dead" scenes.

And apparently they actually used book dialogue for the Riverlands instead of writing their own cliché-ridden garbage like they did for Meribald's monologue - it was the only good part of AFFC for god's sakes! They brought Ian McShane in! Why would they not do that?!

I also thought Arya getting suddenly shanked was legit shocking and the most interesting thing with her since season 4. Gonna be disappointed when they cop out of it like y'all are saying.

EDIT: And it felt good that they actually showed Jon and Sansa trying to recruit people, again showing actual characters with differing views, instead of just cutting to them talking about it which is what they would have done at every other point this season. And the one thing they're keeping totally true to the books - Davos is still the most sensible man in Westeros.

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jun 6, 2016

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I think the show runners just decided not to show "WOooaaaahhhhhh you came back from the dead?!?!?" every time Jon meets someone new. I would agree they could weave it into the conversation a little better.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I legitimately thought the Yara/Theon whorehouse scene was going to end with Yara showing him the joy of tribadism, in a kind of "just because you have no cock doesn't mean you can't gently caress" abrupt end point to Theon's recovery from Ramsay's torture.

This was a really good episode, with only some really dumb parts. Lyanna Mormont and Lord Glover owned, Jaime and Blackfish owned, Yara and Theon owned (well, their dialogue did at least, barring the spontaneous lesbianism).

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 6, 2016

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

This is from last episode, but does Walder Frey refer to the Red Wedding by that name in the books? It was weird hearing him call it "The Red Wedding" when that was a sort of informal nickname for what happened.

TommyGun85 posted:

If it was Bronn who said "Im going to gently caress the tits off that one", you guys would be hailing it as the best line of the season.

I highly doubt that. The only hilarious/good lines that result from the sex scenes was the stuff with Pod's Magic Dick.

In It For The Tank posted:

Yara and Theon owned.

Yes, minus the lesbian titillation, it was actually a good scene.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

The Dave posted:

I think the show runners just decided not to show "WOooaaaahhhhhh you came back from the dead?!?!?" every time Jon meets someone new. I would agree they could weave it into the conversation a little better.

And that's ok, it would be silly to do that all the time. But in this case, it seems relevant.

If wanst for being ressurrected, Jon is a NW deserter. People in the north has very strong feelings about NW deserters, it was established many times, both in the books and the show. Is not something people would just be so ok with to never even mention it. At the same time, if Jon did told then about his death and ressurectiong by the power of Rlhorr, its kind silly that everyone would just instantly believe that and be ok with it too. It would make more sense if Sansa and Davos were going around asking for support and keeping Jon role in it a secret. But why bother? Nobody cares

Might seems like a nitpick, but that's the kind of thing people have in mind when they talk about the "lazy writing". The writers ignoring the very own rules they set in the world and actions that were huge barely having any consequences and then being just forgotten

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Elias_Maluco posted:

And that's ok, it would be silly to do that all the time. But in this case, it seems relevant.

If wanst for being ressurrected, Jon is a NW deserter. People in the north has very strong feelings about NW deserters, it was established many times, both in the books and the show. Is not something people would just be so ok with to never even mention it. At the same time, if Jon did told then about his death and ressurectiong by the power of Rlhorr, its kind silly that everyone would just instantly believe that and be ok with it too. It would make more sense if Sansa and Davos were going around asking for support and keeping Jon rol in it a secret. But why bother? Nobody cares

Might seems like a nitpick, but that's the kind of thing people have in mind when they talk about the "lazy writing". The writers ignoring the very own rules they set in the world and actions that were huge barely having any consequences and then being just forgotten

its less of an issue for the desertion and more about the way Jon is rallying support. why not just walk into every room show everyone his stab holes, tell them he was resurrected from the dead and has a loving giant in tow....instead he brings Sansa. pfft.

wintrrmute
Jul 28, 2002

(Borat voice) "MAH WIFE!"
I thought it was a great episode. In particular, the Mormont child leader was surprisingly well done.

Was the guy leading the brotherhood Lem Lemoncloak?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

wintrrmute posted:

Was the guy leading the brotherhood Lem Lemoncloak?

He'll probably never be named as such, but yes.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Soccus Nephropidae posted:

Hm yes there were no sex-crazed bisexual women in this show until now good point

None that really mattered storywise outside of Ellaria but yes keep complaining about gay people. :allears:

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
"Play with her rear end"

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Yara is a loving viking pirate woman who gives a gently caress if she's crude af I'd let her sail my seas

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Lem was an rear end in a top hat in the book too iirc. I'm not sure if he was the type to go around slaughtering random peasants, though. That's Gregor Clegane/Rorge levels of brutality.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Theory one:

The older actress, that Arya was supposed to kill, uses some kind of magic to conceal her true age and face, akin to what Melisandre uses. She was only interested in Arya's expressive face because she was thinking about taking it over as her new identity, which she has to change regularly, so people don't start do wonder why she never ages. Arya offered her the face willingly, without telling her that there would be assassins coming after that face. The actress/fake Arya is buying passage to Westeros because she is planning to start a new life with the new face, somewhere where she thinks nobody will recognize it. Real Arya's ultimate goal is to lure Waifu into the open, where she can take her out.

Theory two:

There will be a huge mnightshamalan twist. This was all just a graduation test for Waifu and not about Arya at all. Arya is still with the faceless men and just playing along. The stabbed person was Jaquen in disguise and the blood was an illusion. Arya will go to Westeros for her graduation test, not because she fled Bravos.

If any of these theories turn out to be correct, remember who came up with then and mentioned it to your children and in all future wedding speeches.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
What did the spoilers (which have mostly been on point so far, I think?) say about all this? Wasn't it just that the Waif goes after Arya, but Arya kills her with Needle, or something like that?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I think I saw and heard Waif slicing fake Arya's throat. But when Waif gets behind her it looks totally fine. Did I just hallucinate it?

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Someone on Reddit noticed that "Arya" used her right hand to do everything in this scene. Arya has always been left handed and it is an important enough detail that Maisie Williams trained herself to be left handed for the character back when she got the part.

I do remember Maisie making a pretty big point about the left handedness in cast interviews way back in the first season. Ok, between that and the girl walking away from the camera wearing Mercy's clothes and distinctive dual top hair buns I'm sold on Arya pulling the face switcheroo.

Whether fake Arya is old actress, young evil actress, or jaqen being sneaky God only knows.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

GaussianCopula posted:

The point is that the Waif should not have a hateboner at all, because she is Jaqen (as seen at the end of season 5) which leads us to believe that the Faceless Men don't have a personal identity. The reason the waif is portrayed as it she is on the show is that the producers/show writers only understand very basic narrative concepts and applied the "former teacher's pet growth resentful of the talented outsider" to the Arya situation to have a season long storyline.

I'm pretty sure that the Waif having a hate boner and a grudge is supposed to show that she isn't a good Faceless man. She's in training just like Arya and she's failing at her training just like Arya is.

e: Not sure why everyone is hung up on people not asking Jon about being brought back the dead. For one thing, is that even a well broadcasted fact? I doubt anyone else even knows about it apart from the Night's Watch and the Wildlings, and neither is likely to spread that word around to the other noble houses nor would those houses even believe them if they did.

Jon was dead for like a day or two at most. It's most likely that nobody even knows he ever did die outside of the NW.

As for why he doesn't walk around saying it happened and that he's Jesus - well why the gently caress would he? He'd sound loving insane. Nobody would believe that hare brained story. He's lucky to even get them to believe in the White Walkers/undead.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 6, 2016

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Drunk in Space posted:

Lem was an rear end in a top hat in the book too iirc. I'm not sure if he was the type to go around slaughtering random peasants, though. That's Gregor Clegane/Rorge levels of brutality.

Yeah, I found that really jarring and I hope they didn't completely flip the BwB just so they had an easy antagonist for the sake of bringing the Hound back. There was plenty of supplies left behind in the carnage, so it's unclear as to why that slaughter actually happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Maybe Ramsay did it and this is a fake out like the end of Season 2 ~~~ooooohhhhhh~~~

• Locked thread