Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
I'm surprised how some people obsess over the quality of power armour. Before survival was changed. You could face tank anything in lowest quality power armour with a build of level 1 endurance while wearing nothing but a social outfit, no armour or power armour upgrades at all.

I just wear the power armour I think looks the coolest (the X-01 has a hump so I don't like it) But people go crazy scavenging for pieces of the strongest type when it makes no difference in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I like fighting Rust Devils because they give out pretty good EXP for their level.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Zephyrine posted:

I'm surprised how some people obsess over the quality of power armour. Before survival was changed. You could face tank anything in lowest quality power armour with a build of level 1 endurance while wearing nothing but a social outfit, no armour or power armour upgrades at all.

I just wear the power armour I think looks the coolest (the X-01 has a hump so I don't like it) But people go crazy scavenging for pieces of the strongest type when it makes no difference in the game.

So, this changed in survivial? I haven't really used the power armour that heavily in survival. Is there something I should know? Does it suck now?

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Covok posted:

So, this changed in survivial? I haven't really used the power armour that heavily in survival. Is there something I should know? Does it suck now?

No but a survival build with level 1 Endurance and only social clothing will get one shotted at 100 meters by the first gunner you run into. Three shotted in power armour.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Zephyrine posted:

No but a survival build with level 1 Endurance and only social clothing will get one shotted at 100 meters by the first gunner you run into. Three shotted in power armour.

Sounds like Endurance is king in survival.

Also, if I asked this already then my bad, is melee or unarmed viable in survival? I hate guns in Fallout 4 because I hate running out of bullets and missing. Melee weapons never run out of ammo and just never miss when up close. My current survival run is using guns, but ain't loving it. I assumed melee and unarmed are death wishes in survival. Anyone tried it?

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Covok posted:

Also, if I asked this already then my bad, is melee or unarmed viable in survival? I hate guns in Fallout 4 because I hate running out of bullets and missing. Melee weapons never run out of ammo and just never miss when up close. My current survival run is using guns, but ain't loving it. I assumed melee and unarmed are death wishes in survival. Anyone tried it?

Supposedly you have to actually use the block button in survival to block deadly melee hits.

I have no idea how you would handle a high level death claw in melee. Even with maxed endurance the Concord death claw made one swipe at me which brought my health down to 30% and triggered the finishing move animation.

Though knife + sneak attack bonuses + that teleport perk would have you one shotting most harder enemies.

Enemies aren't bullet sponges but stray bullets from high level enemies can cripple you.

Rocket launchers are certain death.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Covok posted:

I haven't done it myself but I see a lot of random streams doing well with it. It seems like the same overpowered melee build from pre-survival; blitz, sneak, ninja and then VATS to your heart's content. If anything it would work even better considering you do more damage in the mode.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

lite_sleepr posted:

I have 13 suits of power armor in varying states of completeness.

Why? Why is power armor this common? I have a fleet of frames. A plethora of power armor. I can't hope to find pieces to fit them all. If I could, I could outfit a settlement with power armored garbage farmers. What should I do with all of this?

I used to just park my power armor in a blob in Sanctuary. On my last playthrough I built a garage for all the suits.

It's even bigger now, I think I screenshotted this a while back. When I fired the game back up to do Far Harbor I rearranged the garage. Now all the complete suits are on one side, and all the ones needing parts are on the other.

The 2 Vim painted suits have been added to the collection as well :D

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
New game time, and I guess there are 3 expansions already? Sheesh.

I'm going to do a totally original MadMax cosplay. Road leathers, leather armor pieces, a shotgun, and 10mm pistol only. I'm going to mod the heck out of those guns so they are viable, but I won't use anything else.

No power armor either. I got the starter suit from Concord and parked it in Red Rocket.

No settlements or settlers. No companions, only dog meat and the lone wanderer perk. Does anyone have any ideas for something like this to be at least fun?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The 10mm has been a fine primary weapon for me. I love it.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

lite_sleepr posted:

Why? Why is power armor this common? I have a fleet of frames. A plethora of power armor. I can't hope to find pieces to fit them all. If I could, I could outfit a settlement with power armored garbage farmers. What should I do with all of this?

I put my non-active companions in power armor suits with power cores that are nearly depleted and have them patrol my settlements like bad-rear end space marines.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Covok posted:

Wolfsheim posted:

I haven't done it myself but I see a lot of random streams doing well with it. It seems like the same overpowered melee build from pre-survival; blitz, sneak, ninja and then VATS to your heart's content. If anything it would work even better considering you do more damage in the mode.

My current game is all melee in survival. I pretty much used the bat you find in Concord in that first building until I got to Diamond City and bought the Rockville Slugger which I used until I freed Valentine then ran out to far harbor to buy the Fish Catcher and have used that since. Everything gets destroyed fast. Haven't just tried to straight up melee big things to any great extent yet, but I easily oneshot blitz anything big so far (the castle queen didn't even make it out of the water with the slugger).

As for endurance this would be really painful as melee without end as you do get hit alot. Even with VATS defense it adds up eventually. Ranged wise when I quit with my stealth sniper I had 6 end at the end, but 4 of those were added at 80+. I started at 1 END and really didn't hit much of an issue doing anything other than the final fight in Automatron.

Both of these situations take a dramatic 180 degree turn when companions are added. The sniper lost all ability to survive and it's a major nerf to the melee guy too, but I also have 3 cha and none of the companion abilities so obviously I'm a poor benchmark. As it stands right now I attack something and kill my companion every time thanks to big leagues 4.

(also, if you're going to go melee, finish the silver shroud quest before you get big leagues 4, otherwise there's no way to do the final optional objective that I found)

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I think power armor is common because the armor itself is only a small piece of the puzzle. If you're going to be in power armor 24/7 you need a steady supply of aluminum and a steady supply of fusion cores. Both are these are resolved by the end of the game, but early to mid the aluminum can be a real PITA and early on it's fusion cores as well. Making a trip across the wastes just to the fish packing plant or whatever is a real pain in survival

A good balance of course is the T-45, which gives better protection than any non-PA and only requires steel to fix, but you level past it so fast that I haven't even found more than one half completed set

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

lite_sleepr posted:

Also, because Cait was the easiest to please she's now my luscious lesbian lover by complete circumstance. I've beaten the game and I don't really know what to do now.

Because having lots of PA is fun

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
On second thought, maybe not.

Dogmeat is useless In dungeons he gets lost, his pathing gets hosed up, or he gets stuck on some bit of geometry. I won't notice he's gone until I'm being jumped and wondering 'Huh where the gently caress is dogmeat?'

Dogmeat often fucks off for hundreds of feet outdoors, and anytime you're attacked you've already killed whatever was attacking you, way ahead of dogmeat actually arriving and fighting with you.

Even when you sick him on things, his attacks are so delayed it's stupid. I sicked him on a raider, and while he was crouched growling at him all menacing, I managed to drop the raider with 6 shots. loving useless retarded dog.

Magmarashi posted:

Because having lots of PA is fun

It's not, really. Finding all the pieces is extremely labor intensive, and maintaining/upgrading them is resource intensive. I can only realistically maintain maybe two suits.

Epic High Five posted:

I think power armor is common because the armor itself is only a small piece of the puzzle. If you're going to be in power armor 24/7 you need a steady supply of aluminum and a steady supply of fusion cores. Both are these are resolved by the end of the game, but early to mid the aluminum can be a real PITA and early on it's fusion cores as well. Making a trip across the wastes just to the fish packing plant or whatever is a real pain in survival

A good balance of course is the T-45, which gives better protection than any non-PA and only requires steel to fix, but you level past it so fast that I haven't even found more than one half completed set

Maybe a patch updated the frequency of power armor suits, I don't know. I went from having four this afternoon to 13 within 2 hours of playing the game since whenever it was released. Every Institute checkpoint I stumbled across had a handful of synths fighting something, and lo and behold, a suit of power armor was there. I soon had more suits than materials.

Rinkles posted:

The 10mm has been a fine primary weapon for me. I love it.

How do you modify yours? I'd like to give it some armor piercing ability, but I don't want the automatic part of it.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 6, 2016

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Upgrading them isn't really required to just display them

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

lite_sleepr posted:

How do you modify yours? I'd like to give it some armor piercing ability, but I don't want the automatic part of it.

Nothing fancy, there aren't too many side-grades to choose from. I stick to smaller magazines because I think they reduce AP use (might be wrong), and because of aesthetics. I am a bit curious about calibrated receivers (high critical damage); how often do you have to crit to out dps an adanced reciever, and how it stacks w/ Better criticals. I use a calibrated receiver on my sniper rifle to maximize the single hit crit damage (which I quickly queue up with pistols).

I think armor penetration only shows up on automatic receivers because automatics need to compensate for their poor base damage.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
My idea is to use the shotgun for fleshy, less armored targets, and an armor piercing handgun for tin men.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

lite_sleepr posted:

New game time, and I guess there are 3 expansions already? Sheesh.

I'm going to do a totally original MadMax cosplay. Road leathers, leather armor pieces, a shotgun, and 10mm pistol only. I'm going to mod the heck out of those guns so they are viable, but I won't use anything else.

No power armor either. I got the starter suit from Concord and parked it in Red Rocket.

No settlements or settlers. No companions, only dog meat and the lone wanderer perk. Does anyone have any ideas for something like this to be at least fun?

Adamantium Skeleton, because Mad Max has a bum leg but refuses to let it slow him down.

Eat only Canned Dog Food.

Lots of Luck and/or Agility perks for a Critical build. Rifleman to boost the power of your shotgun. Ricochet, and Mysterious Stranger because somehow surviving when he should have died is what Mad Max does. Get all three ranks of Attack Dog since you'll be using nothing but the dog and he will cripple your enemies.

Armorer perk to make your simple clothes as tough as possible. Get Ballistic Weave nodding from the Railroad.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

botany posted:

wait using mods turns off achievements forever?? that's loving idiotic

Why would you want achievements?

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
The Sole Survivor that leaves the Pickman Gallery is a different man than when he first walked in.

His steps are a little slower. His eyes, a little haunted.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Orange Sunshine posted:

Why would you want achievements?

A friend of mine has several large complaints that could be fixed via mods but refuses to because it'll affect his cheevos.

THEN STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT THEM, STEVEN.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

There's a mod that lets you assign settlers to power armor (and store it, place it, move it, etc like it were furniture) if you find trouble with that stuff building up

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Covok posted:

Endurance sounds like it would be important, but it's really not. In survival, if your plan is bad you will die, and if it's good, you won't. HP vanishes so quick that a little boost in it doesn't count for much. As far as melee, you could probably do that VATS stealth melee build, but I'm p sure frontal attack power armor gently caress your couch melee is not going to work.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

You're never safe

Level 95 in maxed out X-01 power armor like a boss, get ballsy, turn a corner I didn't check into a gatling laser turret or some other ridiculous poo poo, die instantly

I loving love survival

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Epic High Five posted:

You're never safe

Level 95 in maxed out X-01 power armor like a boss, get ballsy, turn a corner I didn't check into a gatling laser turret or some other ridiculous poo poo, die instantly

I loving love survival

You know, it's turning the game into late-game Dark Souls where fashion is king.

I have all shadowed combat gear, an ushanka hat, fashionable glasses and a bright blue bathrobe.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Volkerball posted:

Endurance sounds like it would be important, but it's really not. In survival, if your plan is bad you will die, and if it's good, you won't. HP vanishes so quick that a little boost in it doesn't count for much. As far as melee, you could probably do that VATS stealth melee build, but I'm p sure frontal attack power armor gently caress your couch melee is not going to work.

The important part of endurance is things like the lifegiver perk, the DT perk, adamantium skeleton, and "solar powered" which removes radiation over time.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Zephyrine posted:

The important part of endurance is things like the lifegiver perk, the DT perk, adamantium skeleton, and "solar powered" which removes radiation over time.

i usually put it at 3. that gives you lifegiver and toughness. lifegiver is awesome because the health regeneration thing in the last rank is huge in survival. radiation isn't really that much of a bother to me since I'm always swinging through settlements to pick up water and save, so it's nothing to run through a decontamination arch while i'm there. i could never justify 10 endurance.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
How do you fix/avoid the bug where settlements stop producing stuff?

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Zephyrine posted:

Toughness is a horrible stat. It gives you DR, not DT, and it gets virtually worthless in terms of damage reduction past level 10-15. In general, in my opinion, the endurance perks are extremetly weak as defensive perks, whereas the offensive perks in this game are straight up overpowered. As such I'm fairly sure that picking an offensive perk will net you considerably more effective damage reduction than any defensive perk outside of Lone Wanderer/Rooted etc.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Svartvit posted:

Toughness is a horrible stat. It gives you DR, not DT, and it gets virtually worthless in terms of damage reduction past level 10-15. In general, in my opinion, the endurance perks are extremetly weak as defensive perks, whereas the offensive perks in this game are straight up overpowered. As such I'm fairly sure that picking an offensive perk will net you considerably more effective damage reduction than any defensive perk outside of Lone Wanderer/Rooted etc.

I never really found enemies to be hard to kill. Damage perks certainly makes it more convenient but the most important survival perks tend to be sneak, sprint and avoidance based. As in you don't have to engage every single super mutant patrol or gunner outpost. Damage reduction helps a lot in an emergency (cornered with three raiders tossing heat seeking molotov cocktails that kill on a single hit) or super mutants that start firing rockets in your general direction from 200 meters away because you triggered "caution" on a nearby enemy.

or children of the Atom who will literally try to flush you out with nukes.

Edit: Oh! another survival change they should make.

After clearing fort strong of super mutants. A vertibird should be waiting for you outside to get back to the Prydwen. Having to walk back to the airport afterwards is a bit silly.

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jun 6, 2016

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

TjyvTompa posted:

How do you fix/avoid the bug where settlements stop producing stuff?

Move your vegetables out of the workshop inventory and into a standalone cooler. Same goes for dirty/purified water for your water purifiers. And fertilizer, if you have radicalized bovines.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
Found myself a Two-Shot Radium Rifle* last night. Didn't get a chance to try it out as I was knee deep in bodies with no bed in sight but I hope daddy found himself a new toy to go along with my funbags Explosive Combat Rifle*.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

You're never safe

I loving love survival

I've found 16 suits of power armor now, and not one complete set of X01. I have three frames of X01, but they have the helmet, chest, and left arm.

Speedball posted:

Adamantium Skeleton, because Mad Max has a bum leg but refuses to let it slow him down.

Eat only Canned Dog Food.

Lots of Luck and/or Agility perks for a Critical build. Rifleman to boost the power of your shotgun. Ricochet, and Mysterious Stranger because somehow surviving when he should have died is what Mad Max does. Get all three ranks of Attack Dog since you'll be using nothing but the dog and he will cripple your enemies.

Armorer perk to make your simple clothes as tough as possible. Get Ballistic Weave nodding from the Railroad.

Which leg is it? As I recall, he had a metal brace on it, so I'll need to slap either a raider leg or metal armor to it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If you're wearing power armor, it only counts that for your DR, right? Wearing combat armor or whatever underneath doesn't actually give you an advantage while you're in in the power armor?

What I'm asking is, if I'm going to being wearing power armor all the time in combat, is there any reason to wear more than a bathrobe and slippers underneath?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Someone told me you can bold or italicize custom item names using HTML. Neat!

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

lite_sleepr posted:

Which leg is it?

Left Leg.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Inzombiac posted:

Someone told me you can bold or italicize custom item names using HTML. Neat!

Sadly the <blink> tag isn't supported.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Entropic posted:

Sadly the <blink> tag isn't supported.

Yeah but now my custom 10mm is TALKING IRON

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004