Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Voyager 05x23 "11:59"

Compromise your values for love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I like the one where Janeway and Chakotay bang :gooncamp:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Syfy had First Contact on this morning and even though I'm a loving zombie at 7AM, I still noticed for the first time that the dude at the helm of the Defiant when Worf is all ramming speed is Adam Scott. That's my star trek through Star Trek for today.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Cthulu Carl posted:

Syfy had First Contact on this morning and even though I'm a loving zombie at 7AM, I still noticed for the first time that the dude at the helm of the Defiant when Worf is all ramming speed is Adam Scott. That's my star trek through Star Trek for today.

The current king of Jordan had a small cameo on Voyager one episode and is planning to make a Star Trek theme park in is country

naem
May 29, 2011

I just noticed that the carpet on tng is that high maintenance 1980's grandma style and that there are vacuum lines showing and wear from feet visible.

Somebody has to replicate carpet tiles and replace them regularly, that stuff wouldn't last more and a couple years. Like an office building people spend 8 hours in gets run down looking pretty quick, people spend their whole lives on this boat 24/7

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006
I like the idea of Starfleet Janitorial Division

naem
May 29, 2011

The transporters, security, and a maintenance crew have a union and all hang out in an empty shuttle bay playing cards most of the time since it's the future and everything is automated

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
The holodeck maintenance guys prank the replicator maintenance guys by setting a replicator to make dildos no matter what you ask it for (except if you ask it for a dildo it give you tea, earl grey, hot).

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Billmac posted:

I like the idea of Starfleet Janitorial Division

Would you like to know more?

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
I know this isn't from Voyager but I just remembered this line from Riker and it is awesome:

"When the train comes in, everybody rides." :riker:

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Without strong Cardassian guidance the Bajorans were just loving terrible.

Once they got some actual farm equipment they went to the brink of civil war and a government coup while arguing over who got to use it.

Dukat was right.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Roylicious posted:

I know this isn't from Voyager but I just remembered this line from Riker and it is awesome:

"When the train comes in, everybody rides." :riker:

The Royale is awesome and I will fight any autistic gently caress who says otherwise.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Data was way more interesting before they made him literally autistic. In the early episodes he smiles and jokes and all kinds of poo poo.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Bajorans are as talented at self-governamce as North Korea.

This is the Bajoran Vedek Assembly:

2km away form here the regular people are suffering from famines and inter-tribal wars while 20% of the observed populace is employed in tasks like washing vedek robes, archiving ancient manuscripts or digging up artifacts of previous lost & failed Bajoran cities.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Data was way more interesting before they made him literally autistic. In the early episodes he smiles and jokes and all kinds of poo poo.

Autistic kids needed someone like them to look up to.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

shadow puppet of a posted:

Bajorans are as talented at self-governamce as North Korea.

This is the Bajoran Vedek Assembly:

2km away form here the regular people are suffering from famines and inter-tribal wars while 20% of the observed populace is employed in tasks like washing vedek robes, archiving ancient manuscripts or digging up artifacts of previous lost & failed Bajoran cities.

Don't forget about the space sail boats.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

TNG S1/S2 supremacy.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Fister Roboto posted:

Remember that one time O'Brien died and got replaced by an O'Brien from an alternate timeline where he didn't die? Classic O'Brien.

The DS9 episode that follows O'Brien as he gets increasingly paranoid (and yet... justifiably so) about everyone else trying to get him and then ends with a reveal that the whole time we've been following some fake/clone O'Brien and then the real O'Brien gets to see fake O'Brien vaporized/killed in front of him was pretty awesome too.

quote:

Before he dies, the clone says Keiko's name and grabs O'Brien's shoulder. "What about her?" the real O'Brien asks. "Tell her... I love..." the clone whispers as he dies.

lmao if that doesn't give you some psychological issues I dunno what will.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
because real o'brien knows that last word was gonna be "Julian"

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I am not tng savvy enough to cite instances but it was frustrating that he had this encyclopedic knowledge and they would still have these "lol, androids right?" moments of incompetence. It just doesn't make sense.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Roylicious posted:

lmao if that doesn't give you some psychological issues I dunno what will.

I'm imagining a scene where Julian runs into Keiko in the turbolift or whatever, and blithely mentions "oh yeah that perfect clone of O'Brien? His dying words were that he loved you. Isn't that romantic? :buddy:"

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Miles tells Keiko about the duplicate O'Brien and she's all "Yeah, he was much better in bed, so I knew something was up and that you'd eventually spoil it."

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

DS9 had some complex romance. Keiko loved Miles, Miles loved Julian, Julian loved Garak, Garak loved Cardassia, Cardassia loved the iron boot of authority, and the iron boot of authority physically incarnated as Keiko.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The Sphinxster posted:

I am not tng savvy enough to cite instances but it was frustrating that he had this encyclopedic knowledge and they would still have these "lol, androids right?" moments of incompetence. It just doesn't make sense.

I dunno. There's still a couple of possibilities:

- Ol' Oftenwrong Soong uploaded vast sums of information into Data, but was aware enough to know that idioms shift and change over the years, so he programs Data to feign ignorance as a means of updating his cultural database in a way that doesn't have him contradicting people and coming across as an often-wrong know-it-all. Hell, look at what happens when he thinks he knows the right answer and tells Captain Jean-Luc Picard that French is a dead obscure language. :v:

- Data's vast encyclopedic knowledge is separate from his personality, if that makes any sense; he's got a running memory that includes things like "Counselor Troi likes ice cream" or "Baldy and Beardy outrank me and can give me orders", but when presented with something substantially different like archaic slang or "can we do a saucer separation while the warp engines are running flat-out" he has to either ask around or do an internal library search which costs extra cycles - and since asking both A) returns the most current information, and B) presents a closer emulation of humanoid behavior (which is what he's designed to do), that's what he chooses when he thinks it'll produce results.

That said, it is an inconsistent behavior. I'm pretty sure the writers usually just went with whichever felt funnier for a given scene. (So obviously, Soong designed Data to be funny in the context of being a character on a space opera...)

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 6, 2016

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Cthulu Carl posted:

Miles tells Keiko about the duplicate O'Brien and she's all "Yeah, he was much better in bed, so I knew something was up and that you'd eventually spoil it."

As I recall, she actually specifically avoided physical intimacy with clone-Miles.

(Please, tell me there's at least one other poster in this thread who thinks "LOL KEIKO IS SUCH A RAGING BITCH, AM I RITE??" is completely played out.)

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Keiko never bothered me, it was nice to portray someone in the crew as just a boring married person for once instead of intergalactic space pimps

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Its played out until you re-watch any keiko-isodes and see how it is loving Keiko's obstinacy in teaching hard sciences to some gradschool Bajorans that dont yet undesrtand the concept of "plentiful food", that is the springboard allows Kai Wynn to seize power.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I wish Keiko was my teacher

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
I think one of the least convincing things in DS9 is that they tried to portray O'Brien as some ultra bad-rear end.

Sure I'll accept replicators, warp drives, and all of that future technology. But you are telling me that this pudgy Irish dude is somehow John Space Rambo? He single handedly took on dozens of enemies and can go against trained assassins that are filled with psychotropic drugs?

Nah it's fine if he is attacked by soldiers that were genetically engineered to be killing machines. Just a couple double fists to the back or an uppercut and the overweight Irish dude is cleaning house.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

As I recall, she actually specifically avoided physical intimacy with clone-Miles.

(Please, tell me there's at least one other poster in this thread who thinks "LOL KEIKO IS SUCH A RAGING BITCH, AM I RITE??" is completely played out.)

My intention was to cast Keiko not as a shrill harpy but as a long-suffering Al Bundy who knows that any good thing that happens is the result of the universe forgetting her for a moment and as soon as it remembers she exists will quickly take away whatever good thing happened.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I wish Keiko was my teacher

Same

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The only things O'Brien Rambos are tubs of ice cream

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Imagine being married to ol loving O'brien. The only enlisted person in Star Fleet. In a future utopia of free education, this mother fucker still enlisted.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The only things O'Brien Rambos are tubs of ice cream

Like you haven't been thrown out of an ice cream parlor scream "Nothing is over!"

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Keiko and Miles were p. clearly an attempt at showing that the utopian space future could still have a relatable, normal, loving married couple with their day-to-day troubles and squabbles. But the writers never managed to the level of emotional reality or indeed basic nuance that sort of relationship requires, so it just came off as another case of a Hero Character, Miles, having a recurring mild antagonist to throw a space-wrench into his life.

That's both in what they showed, and in how it was narratively framed. The show was crazy consistent about taking stuff where Keiko had a legit complaint or just didn't agree with Miles on something, and presenting it to the viewer like welp that ol' harridan is at it again!! Women, am I right, space-fellas?????

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

And combat rations. Loves those things does our O'Rambrien.

But, you know, he did pretty quickly and convincingly get into the role of pimp that time he had to turn out Kira to some gullible Cardiassian prison guards.

Maybe there was something more to old regular-universe Smiley.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I think one of the least convincing things in DS9 is that they tried to portray O'Brien as some ultra bad-rear end.

Sure I'll accept replicators, warp drives, and all of that future technology. But you are telling me that this pudgy Irish dude is somehow John Space Rambo? He single handedly took on dozens of enemies and can go against trained assassins that are filled with psychotropic drugs?

Nah it's fine if he is attacked by soldiers that were genetically engineered to be killing machines. Just a couple double fists to the back or an uppercut and the overweight Irish dude is cleaning house.

gently caress you, we Irish can take you fucks all on, don't matter if you are a Warrior Race or loving Ocampa, we'll punch the poo poo out of you.

Edit: Especially Ocampa, smug gits.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
When O'Brien isn't tail-gunning with Bashir in the holosuite, he loads up a Nathan's Hot Dog eating contest.

How many calories in a holo-dog?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
remember when Scotty is framed by the literal ghost of Jack the Ripper and Kirk immediately assumes Scotty's been going around stabbing hookers?

That episode is the inspiration for every single O'Brien episode

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Remember, O'Brien killed his own cell mate for a piece of bread.
Stone cold irish killer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

No way Quark's holosuites let you replicate or simulate outside food or beverage. You have to buy that from an attendant. Probably goes for lubes too. Its like the worst of a cruise ship and nightclub bathroom.