Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
What DAW are you using?

If it's Ableton Live I can think of a pretty simple way to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Dessert Rose posted:

What DAW are you using?

If it's Ableton Live I can think of a pretty simple way to do it.

Cubase LE5.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
JRR has a bunch of Nomad Factory stuff on sale:

https://www.jrrshop.com/nomad-factory?dir=asc&order=name&p=1

I grabbed all of NF's stuff a long time ago as part of a promotion. It's not all amazing, but most of it is decent and the Oilcan Echo and Liquid Delays are two of my favorite software delay plugins.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

So I'd like to split my arranger keyboard so I can play some different hardware synths at once on different zones of the keyboard. This does not seem to be possible from the keyboard itself. Is there a vst anyone can recommend just for this purpose?
Cubase's Local Editor, Transformer Plugin, and Input Transformer features can all almost certainly do that, but I do not know if any of them are available in Cubase LE5.

The idea is you set up a filter based on note range and then modify the MIDI channel of the incoming note data from your keyboard within that range to the desired alternate channel.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Arturia just dropped an upgrade to their collection. Synclavier is the main attraction, but there's also a Hammond B-3, Rhodes and physically modeled piano, as well as interface updates across the board so Modular doesn't look like so much poo poo anymore.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
I had Arturias jupiter 8 so i grabbed the update for that for like 10 bucks - I must say it looks so much nicer now. Especially the browser is soooo much better.

Worth it I'd say

0dB
Jan 3, 2009
The new organs have all kinds of interesting tweaks to them (the Farfisa has additive synthesis), the Piano is physically modeled and quite nice. Apparently they have upgraded the sound engine with some circuit modelling but haven't really tested that yet. Moog modular is actually usable now (can see what you are doing). Good upgrade.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is there a list of what's actually updated? It wants 100€ to update my V Collection 4 but it doesn't say what any of it does. :iiam:

e: I guess it just makes the GUIs resizable? I guess that's almost worth the money, because several of them are so tiny on my screen that they're completely unusable without a magnifying glass.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 09:52 on May 23, 2016

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Your Computer posted:

Is there a list of what's actually updated? It wants 100€ to update my V Collection 4 but it doesn't say what any of it does. :iiam:

e: I guess it just makes the GUIs resizable? I guess that's almost worth the money, because several of them are so tiny on my screen that they're completely unusable without a magnifying glass.

All the UI's got changed, they are alot more functional now. There is a brand new patch management system.

Watch a video on it.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/open-letter-to-the-maschine-community.270814/

well drat.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Anyone here playing with Geist2 yet? I bought Geist on that insane discount a while back (for the actual physical disc, I think fulfilled through Amazon), and have fiddled with it, but not really dove in. For that reason alone, I should probably avoid considering Geist2 yet, but was just wondering if others here are thinking about it or already poking at it.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

I don't know how I feel about Native Instruments validating the vocal minority of Maschine users that comprise the NI Maschine subforum by responding in that fashion. Maschine is an excellent tool for what it is, and the majority of the complaints about it are from people who want it to be something it isn't. (A DAW.)

That said I think their explanation for what they'd been focusing on recently and what their future plans are for the platform were perfectly logical and reasonable.

In related news, this is officially the second-longest gap between Komplete releases since the bundle began in 2003. (19 months and counting. The longest gap was 24 months, between Komplete 5 and 6.) I was sure we'd see a spring release of K11, but it's looking like we won't see anything til Fall. Hope there's some good stuff in it!

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Radiapathy posted:

I don't know how I feel about Native Instruments validating the vocal minority of Maschine users that comprise the NI Maschine subforum by responding in that fashion. Maschine is an excellent tool for what it is, and the majority of the complaints about it are from people who want it to be something it isn't. (A DAW.)

Look, I 100% agree with you. The worst thing that could happen to maschine imo is that they jerry rig it into some kinda awful daw monstrosity that wont do ANYTHING well. Not to mention how many resources that would take away from other things that are really really needed (Such as better vst->daw integration)

But I'm really just stoked that they are actually adressing poo poo thats been flying around those forums since I got mine.

Also if theres a summer sale on Komplete im grabbing that bitch cuz I just got an S49

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Radiapathy posted:

In related news, this is officially the second-longest gap between Komplete releases since the bundle began in 2003. (19 months and counting. The longest gap was 24 months, between Komplete 5 and 6.) I was sure we'd see a spring release of K11, but it's looking like we won't see anything til Fall. Hope there's some good stuff in it!

I'll be upgrading just for Reactor 6, so anything else in there would just be a bonus for me.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I might be getting a sound design / composing / audio post production job in my office, and I'm really hoping they let me pick my software.

I'd love to be able to use the latest Komplete bundle :allears: Especially on someone else's dime!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
On the one hand I really want to upgrade to Arturia V Collection 5 because the new stuff is wonderful and the new interface actually makes the old synths usable...

..but on the other hand I already have so many synths, including my most recent purchase, Pianoteq. If V Collection 5 has everything, then what about all my old stuff :negative:

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Your Computer posted:

..but on the other hand I already have so many synths, including my most recent purchase, Pianoteq. If V Collection 5 has everything, then what about all my old stuff :negative:
That's where I am too. I would love to have their Synclavier and Farfisa instruments, but if I bought them separately it would cost more than the upgrade from V4 to V5 does right now. And I don't think I've used a single Arturia instrument in a finished track, so there's a good chance I wouldn't use those two either.

I did get that new Izotope VocalSynth though. Haven't tried it yet but I snap up all vocoders and talkbox-type tools I can.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i am very finicky about trying to balance multiple synths, so usually i try to convince myself i can do all the things my older plugins can do in my newer ones.

this might be fine if i had the patience to really learn a single piece of software, but...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i am very finicky about trying to balance multiple synths, so usually i try to convince myself i can do all the things my older plugins can do in my newer ones.

this might be fine if i had the patience to really learn a single piece of software, but...

I'm still telling myself I'll learn 100% of Alchemy one of these days :negative:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 30, 2016

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Alchemy was my number 1 before they got bought out. Now it's MPowerSynth. I suppose I should just take out loans to get into hardware, and never have to worry about compatibility again.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Since I got Bazille with Bitwig I've become pretty proficient with that, but I do feel like different interfaces make for different workflows. Like I gravitate towards certain sounds with certain synths, do you know what I mean? This is how I justify making more purchases :shepspends:

RE: V Collection 5, I really want the Synclavier V, and the updated interface for Modular V, ARP2600 V and CS80 V will make those actually usable.. On the one hand the only new thing I want is the Synclavier from V Collection 5, but if I just update my current synths it will cost 100€ instead of 200€... then again if I want to buy the Synclavier at a later point that will cost me 200€. Is the Synclavier V worth 100€? I'll have to decide before the end of June..

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
I'm thinking of buying one of the Kontakt bundles, but I'm hoping to wait for some deal to show up. How often do they drop their prices?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I really like the Amplitube MESA/Boogie pack. It might overtake the Orange pack as my favorite Amplitube expansion since they started working with amp manufacturers; they really turned in a top notch effort here, though I am kind of baffled by the lack of a MkIIC+ model still.

Here's a clip of the Mk IV and Mk III, my favorite of the pack. Don't get me wrong, the Rectos sound Recto as can be, it's just not historically my favorite amp - the dual rec in this is pretty tight though, growing on me.

I need to set up a soundcloud, I think, I see Tindeck is up for sale now

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Popcorn posted:

I'm thinking of buying one of the Kontakt bundles, but I'm hoping to wait for some deal to show up. How often do they drop their prices?

Which Kontakt bundles?

New purchases of Komplete 10 and Ultimate are on sale right now for 20% off and 30% off, respectively. This is their most rare kind of sale. Most of their Komplete discounts are on individual titles or crossgrades/upgrades, not new purchases of the bundle.

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/special-offer/

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Reaktor 6 isn't included in the Komplete bundle? That sucks.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

Radiapathy posted:

Which Kontakt bundles?

New purchases of Komplete 10 and Ultimate are on sale right now for 20% off and 30% off, respectively. This is their most rare kind of sale. Most of their Komplete discounts are on individual titles or crossgrades/upgrades, not new purchases of the bundle.

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/special-offer/

Thanks for this info.

I can't figure what to buy. I know I really want Battery so I could just get that on its own, but I'm a bit giddy with the idea of having all these zillions of other things too.

e: it's also kinda nuts that I can get those zillions of other things for only double the price of buying Battery alone.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jun 6, 2016

K-EJ
Nov 19, 2006

Oldstench posted:

Reaktor 6 isn't included in the Komplete bundle? That sucks.

Komplete 10 came out before Reaktor 6, so it will almost definitely be in the next release. They usually have a pretty good sale like this just before new Komplete release. So I guess you could wait for a sale in December or around this time next year if you really want a similar deal with Reaktor 6 included.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
This sale is a real kick in the nuts for those of us with crossgrade options. I was going to get komplete through crossgrade this month (have maschine and Kontrol S49) but the sale doesnt cover that. I got Reaktor for 99 EUR instead.

I really need strings though. Gonna look elsewhere for that I guess.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Agreed posted:

I really like the Amplitube MESA/Boogie pack. It might overtake the Orange pack as my favorite Amplitube expansion since they started working with amp manufacturers; they really turned in a top notch effort here, though I am kind of baffled by the lack of a MkIIC+ model still.

Here's a clip of the Mk IV and Mk III, my favorite of the pack. Don't get me wrong, the Rectos sound Recto as can be, it's just not historically my favorite amp - the dual rec in this is pretty tight though, growing on me.

I need to set up a soundcloud, I think, I see Tindeck is up for sale now

I love Mesa pack so much, and am impressed by what more amplitube 4 offers in general. For ages I was using impulses but the new cab room and choice of speakers is too good to pass up.

The new Marshall models are fun too, can really get close to those NoFx or Slayer sounds with very little effort. I've not really been a Marshall fan for a long time (granted apart from my very first 10w back in the distant past I haven't really used a real one, just a million emulations) but these two really do it for me.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Yeah, even in AT3 I'd find alternatives for cab sim, mainly IRs, but the combination of IR-based and modeling they do in the AT4 cab sim and the intuitiveness with which you can do mic placement adjustments has me using AT4 cabs for everything lately. Doesn't hurt that between the Mesa pack, Orange pack, and AT4's new Marshalls there are a variety of really top notch cab options. I love the Orange pack, as I mentioned - not just awesome amps, but a comparatively large selection of really nice cabs too.

At this point I want to see them go back and revamp Amplitube Fender. The Fender amps sound good still and they are still dynamic and all that, but IKMM've gotten better since then. (AT2 era models are a real mixed bag at this point, thankfully questionable ones have modern alternatives - Fender, coming right after Metal, was a huuuuge improvement in their modeling IMO so it's not as deprecated but I know they could improve it if they had the motivation).

Agreed fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 6, 2016

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
The one thing I still struggle with is getting a good bass tone from it that works well in a mix: I know what I need to be doing (blending a subby tone eq'ed away from where the kick hits with a dirty one to give it some definition) but somehow cant make it happen, my five string sounds really uneven unless I compress it to poo poo. Should probably change the battery in my bass too.

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 6, 2016

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Any recommendations on a simple free (or low-cost) VST just for playing drum samples? All I want to do is trigger samples in my DAW using patterns in my arranger keyboard. I don't care about sequencing them in my DAW or in the VST.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Any recommendations on a simple free (or low-cost) VST just for playing drum samples? All I want to do is trigger samples in my DAW using patterns in my arranger keyboard. I don't care about sequencing them in my DAW or in the VST.

Which DAW? Most versions/editions of Cubase come with Groove Agent, which is exactly that. (Drag samples onto pads, trigger samples.) Live has Drum Racks.

Also, I haven't used it myself, but Poise by One Small Clue is only 50 bucks and does what you're asking as well (Windows only): http://www.onesmallclue.com/plugin/poise/

Also, while it's ugly as hell, DrumTROOP is free (also haven't tried personally): http://www.dubturbo.com/dt4-vsti-drumtroop.php

They're trying to do the inkjet printer model where what you're really paying for is their expansions, but I THINK you can build your own kits with it... could be wrong about that though.

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jun 9, 2016

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

any of you guys use drum synthesizer plugins? been thinking i want something dedicated, and hopefully not too obtuse.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

any of you guys use drum synthesizer plugins? been thinking i want something dedicated, and hopefully not too obtuse.

I use Sonic Charge uTonic quite a bit.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

I love FXpansion Tremor's sound, sequencer, and feature set. The on-board effects section kinda blows, but I do my own effects in-DAW anyway.

Waldorf Attack is a more traditional drum synth, but powerful. It is pretty far from intuitive, though. Reading the manual is a must... but once you "get" it, though it's pretty easy to navigate.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Can anyone recommend a good "tape" vst? I want my programmed drums to sound a bit crappier/crustier, think Ross Robinson's 90s work kinda thing.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

NonzeroCircle posted:

Can anyone recommend a good "tape" vst? I want my programmed drums to sound a bit crappier/crustier, think Ross Robinson's 90s work kinda thing.

U-he Satin; does (very) subtle to full-on equally well; but at a cost.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Wow that looks insane!

On a related note, anyone have any input on the Slate Digital stuff? I keep looking at it and dreaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Slat Digital products not only use iLok, they still require the dongle, with no software option. Don't pay $40 for the privilege of having third-party DRM.