Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Udinaas
Karsa
Picker and Blend
Bugg
Rhulad Sengar

Samar Dev and Janath Anar get honorable mention, though I find them to be nearly identical characters (albeit with different backstories).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
These lists need the simpleton who crushes skulls and fucks Bridgeburners.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Also more Beak.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Samar Dev stops being a character as soon as she leaves Seven Cities, and is just a prop Erikson uses to (literally and figuratively) tell us how big Karsa's dick is. Disappointing, because the inventor stuff was an interesting start.

Mappo wins points for beating Karsa in a fight, but loses more for being so one-note he became anonymous in his own storyline (Gruntle proved a more interesting focal point!)

Best 5 7: Brys (pre-resurrection), Torrent, Itkovian, Cotillion (pre-TCG), Pearl (human), Ganoes Paran, L'oric

Toc I always rooted for, but he had such a meandering storyline it felt like unrelated characters were being stitched together (again, literally and figuratively).

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I've read the series twice and I can remember absolutely nothing about Udinaas except that he seems to be on some seriously heavy SSRIs . he's so boring

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
So the ship Karsa is on is The same one from book two?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I've read the series twice and I can remember absolutely nothing about Udinaas except that he seems to be on some seriously heavy SSRIs . he's so boring
He's a normal guy stuck with all those wizards and demigods and his only weapon is whining. Makes for a nice change, especially since he's the only one capable of thinking outside the tradition/society box.
Guy also blatantly refused any attempts to be manipulated come RG and that makes him pretty much the champion of pissing off said demigods. Not bad for a guy with no power whatsoever in an universe this absurd.
Plus there's the the dungeon crawl soliloquy.

RC Cola posted:

So the ship Karsa is on is The same one from book two?
Yup. And you're not done with its history either.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Oh my. Are these two the Shi'ak's bodyguards? Karsa and Leoman?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

RC Cola posted:

Oh my. Are these two the Shi'ak's bodyguards? Karsa and Leoman?

They are!

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Khizan posted:

They are!

What? No.

Torvald Nom isn't Leoman.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Spermy Smurf posted:

What? No.

Torvald Nom isn't Leoman.

When Kalam meets Shaik and delivers the book her two bodyguards are a big Toblakai with a wooden sword and a man with flails. Karsa and Leoman.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Khizan posted:

When Kalam meets Shaik and delivers the book her two bodyguards are a big Toblakai with a wooden sword and a man with flails. Karsa and Leoman.

Yes, that's still half of the pair. Not both of them. Like I said, the man who Karsa is running around with is not Leoman. At least he isn't running around with Leoman at the ship section where RC Cola is in the books.

Edit: Of course RC Cola could be like 100 pages further than I think which would mean you're 100% correct. I just thought he was at the Silanda boat part.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 6, 2016

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

TCG: Jaghut Humour is one of my favourite things about this series. "I have never much liked Forkrul Assail"
Really, Hood? Then why did you just straight up eat one?

Another thing that I feel like I comment on again and again, but I'm not sure if I've ever actually posted, is how good Erikson is at making me like a character in a tiny number of pages. Even when he inevitably kills them basically immediately.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Erickson does the best duos, that's how my top favs are grouped

Tehol & Bugg
Dathenar & Prazek (Fall of Light)
Samar Dev & Karsa
Quick Ben & Kalam

of the singletons: Hood, Beak, Silchas Ruin, Helian

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I always thought Telorast and Curdle were sorely underrated.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

cptn_dr posted:

TCG: Jaghut Humour is one of my favourite things about this series. "I have never much liked Forkrul Assail"

You are going to love FoL and FoD.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Cardiac posted:

You are going to love FoL and FoD.

Yeah, I can't wait!

TCG: The Glass Desert is where the Forkrul God was killed, right? Or am I completely off base? I'm not sure if that has been spelled out directly, or if I'm just assuming, but I feel like that's a thing. If so, it'd make the d'ivers the remnants of that God?

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jun 7, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

cptn_dr posted:

Yeah, I can't wait!

TCG: The Glass Desert is where the Forkrul God was killed, right? Or am I completely off base? I'm not sure if that has been spelled out directly, or if I'm just assuming, but I feel like that's a thing. If so, it'd make the d'ivers the remnants of that God?
Yes on both.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Pithy just died. I really liked those two. The worst thing about Erikson being so good at writing pairs is when one of them has to watch the other die :smith:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

cptn_dr posted:

Pithy just died. I really liked those two. The worst thing about Erikson being so good at writing pairs is when one of them has to watch the other die :smith:

Luckily in TCG all the bone hunter couples survive and live happily ever after. Smart of urb to declare his love right at the last second.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

mischief posted:

I always thought Telorast and Curdle were sorely underrated.

Same with Picker & Blend.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Yes on both.

FoD/FoL spoiler:
The glass desert should be the body of Grizzin Farl, since he is the god of the Forkrul Assail?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Cardiac posted:

FoD/FoL spoiler:
The glass desert should be the body of Grizzin Farl, since he is the god of the Forkrul Assail?
Is he? I never drew that connection and he really doesn't seem the type.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Is he? I never drew that connection and he really doesn't seem the type.

He is the husband off Kilmandaros (father of Sechul/Knuckles or that was Draconus. There are some episodes in FoL/FoD where he talks about the Forkrul as his spawn.
Also, we know from TCG that the Forkrul Assail killed their own god and there is a limited amount of possibles for that.
But I might be wrong here.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I don't think it's that simple - they don't need to worship whoever created them, just whatever Azathanai or ascendant decides to mess with them or they decide to deify.
Kilmandaros and Sechul Lath have some Forkrul features too and I really can't imagine them worshipping a god of chance. Or someone as empathic as Grizzin Farl - although the divergence between a god's goals and those of his worshippers is a recurring theme in the series, see: Mael. Or Kaminsod.

I guess it just never struck me to make the connection, IIRC the Forkrul god was some ideal of justice (and that really doesn't fit ol' Grizzy).

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jun 7, 2016

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

I don't think it's that simple - they don't need to worship whoever created them, just whatever Azathanai or ascendant decides to mess with them or they decide to deify.
Kilmandaros and Sechul Lath have some Forkrul features too and I really can't imagine them worshipping a god of chance. Or someone as empathic as Grizzin Farl - although the divergence between a god's goals and those of his worshippers is a recurring theme in the series, see: Mael. Or Kaminsod.

I guess it just never struck me to make the connection, IIRC the Forkrul god was some ideal of justice (and that really doesn't fit ol' Grizzy).

With Erikson it is never simple.
Did we ever get a POV with the Forkrul Assail where they talk about killing their god?
Also, knowing the Forkrul Assail I wouldn't be surprised if they killed off their own god just because he/she wasn't up to the standards for the Forkrul Assail

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Juaguocio posted:

Same with Picker & Blend.

Picker is the blandest Bridgeburner. Apart from maybe Fiddler after Erikson deifies him.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Cardiac posted:

With Erikson it is never simple.
Did we ever get a POV with the Forkrul Assail where they talk about killing their god?
Also, knowing the Forkrul Assail I wouldn't be surprised if they killed off their own god just because he/she wasn't up to the standards for the Forkrul Assail

I could have sworn that was stated as their reason for doing it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Ethiser posted:

I could have sworn that was stated as their reason for doing it.
Yeah, that's how it's presumed to have happened. Forkrul took "holier than thou" to the next level.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, that's how it's presumed to have happened. Forkrul took "holier than thou" to the next level.

And that is sort of my thinking regarding the forkrul assail and grizzin farl.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Redmask spoilers

why did the k'chain turn on him so viciously? Because the battle against lethee was lost? Meaning they had some stake/vendetta against....oh man are you telling me the k'chain 100,000 years later had a bone to pick with the tiste edur because of that huge fuckoff battle when the edur and andii invaded their realm and murdered them all, and decided to help some random human in his tribal battle against the edur-lether empire?

Sorry for the rambling, it just clicked for me why the k'chain were involved in the first place. Is there any concrete information about why they were there/turned on red mask ?

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Have you read DoD? It gets spelled out pretty clearly IIRC: the K'Chain are a dying race in need of change and inspiration so they decide to go for a Mortal Sword/Shield Anvil/Destriant combo. Redmask was supposed to be their Mortal Sword but sucked so they killed his rear end.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

cptn_dr posted:

I'm about halfway throug FoL and the parts with Hood and Gothos are the very definitoon of "my jam". And now I can't wait for the story to cycle back around to them in 300 pages. :(

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Well, I've reached Book 7 of The Crippled God. This is it. The home stretch. I assume from here on out it's all violence and philosophy and heartbreak.

Looking back at book 6, the Shake/Kharkanas storyline coming to its conclusion was amazing. I was never sure where it was going when it was first introduced, but I really liked Yan Tovis and Yedan Derryg, so I was happy to go along for the ride. And goddamn, did it pay off. Though given what I assume is coming (Eleint Storm), it also feels like a bit of a preview of things to come, but at a smaller scale.

And I just want to take a moment to share what might be my favourite epigraph so far.

Gothos posted:

He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon.

Edit: I also feel like I should mention my enduring love of Shadowthrone and Cotillion. "I feel it in my sticks" indeed.

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 8, 2016

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

House of chains is taking forever. Give me something other than reorganizing military units please.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

TCG: Karsa standing witness to a dying cripple. If that's not the thematic heart of this entire series, then I don't know what is.

Edit: Okay, I was wrong about an Eleint getting Olar Ethil. That was just as satisfying, though. I had grown to really like Torrent of the Awl.

2nd Edit: Stormy nooooo :smith:
3rd edit: Gesler too. Then Tool got his family back and now I'm a mess.
One chapter to go.

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jun 8, 2016

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

acumen posted:

Have you read DoD? It gets spelled out pretty clearly IIRC: the K'Chain are a dying race in need of change and inspiration so they decide to go for a Mortal Sword/Shield Anvil/Destriant combo. Redmask was supposed to be their Mortal Sword but sucked so they killed his rear end.

The thing that I like most about the spoiled bit is the K'Chain matron that decides humans are the answer is probably insane or at least unhinged :allears:

cptn_dr posted:

TCG: Karsa standing witness to a dying cripple. If that's not the thematic heart of this entire series, then I don't know what is.

Edit: Okay, I was wrong about an Eleint getting Olar Ethil. That was just as satisfying, though. I had grown to really like Torrent of the Awl.

2nd Edit: Stormy nooooo :smith:
3rd edit: Gesler too. Then Tool got his family back and now I'm a mess.
One chapter to go.

:laffo:

... yeah :smith:

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I love when people read the series for the first time and post reactions.

Also: I'm right there with you one that :smith: feeling.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I've finished. I have a lot of emotions right now.

That is easily the best fantasy series I've ever read. gently caress.

I kind of don't know what to do with myself now. If I tried to list off my favourite things, I'd be here all night. It was gratifying to see that some of my predictions were pretty spot on, but even more gratifying that I was still surprised, caught off guard, and consistently amazed at how it all went down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

cptn_dr posted:

I kind of don't know what to do with myself now.
Start reading Forge of Darkness, obviously. :)