Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

SirPhoebos posted:

Wait, are you trying to say that most companies don't treat customers like tagged animals, or is it more that most don't make it as obvious as CIG is doing?

Blockbuster Video had a customer service system that encouraged people to create nasty notes about clients that would get broadcast company-wide, and that worked out great for them. They were a pretty forward-looking company, and their position in today's marketplace speaks for itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Wow I don't think I've seen an UNDER CONSTRUCTION sign on a company's web site since the late 90s.

What next, will we be asked to join their web ring? Sign their guestbook?

Also that's just a placeholder image that links to their contact page. $114m and you don't have anyone who can knock up something in HTML?

Deedrix
Jun 6, 2016

"Give me money and I'll give you shit in return."
CIG ToS
Beat me to it

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Mobile still shows the original website :downs:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

I think there comes a moment where we ALL should probably stop posting. That said, I won't. But thanks anyway? There's too much anti-CIG sentiment here and I have to post double to balance things out buddy.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, nobody is going to prevent or ban you from posting. Just because you have some seriously questionable opinions, doesn't make yours any less|more valid than the standard poo poo-posting that goes on here. So yeah, have at it. And this isn't Reddit; so nobody is going to down vote your much laughed at crap. It's all about the lols; never forget the lols.

CIG is going to burn down to the ground. There is absolutely no escape, or any way around it. And for that reason, I personally would very much like to see you, and all those wankers parked on /r/ds and elsewhere, stick around to the very end - because it will be a beautiful thing to behold.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

alphabettitouretti posted:

What next, will we be asked to join their web ring?
No, just their cult.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

ManofManyAliases posted:

I think there comes a moment where we ALL should probably stop posting.
True. But you're an unusual case because it comes literally every time you post.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

D_Smart posted:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, nobody is going to prevent or ban you from posting. Just because you have some seriously questionable opinions, doesn't make yours any less|more valid than the standard poo poo-posting that goes on here. So yeah, have at it. And this isn't Reddit; so nobody is going to down vote your much laughed at crap. It's all about the lols; never forget the lols.

Lol...I'm honestly impressed that loving shill still accuses you of that crap, especially considering the state in CIG forums brown sea right now, when I see you probate Tophat for a month while this shill is allowed to add his ignorance to the thread freely.

Like, a lot of poo poo can be talked about Derek Smart, but the one thing people can't knock him on anymore in my mind is that he's actually a far better 'community manager' than anyone CIG has put in a similar position to that in their entire existence. AND he's being moderator here mainly as a lark too lmao...like, drat Man of Many Anuses...this must be your weakest loving argument yet, and I gotta say...that's an accomplishment for you.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Haha I mean can they be even more obvious about this

Every hour is amature hour at cig. For the past 5 years.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

SomethingJones posted:

Gorf, his arms wide
MoMA, his belt unfurled

Chris and Sandy, on the ocean.
Ben, when the walls fell!

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 40 minutes!

Deedrix posted:

Beat me to it

Lol, they are abandoning zendesk and refactoring their CS process.

Another victory for SA!

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

CIG should take on the motto "We put the 'A' in Incompatence".

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

SomethingJones posted:

Come, My Friends, We Need to Discuss Star Citizen
BY BRIAN RUBIN · PUBLISHED 07/06/2015

(this was a pleasure to transcribe and there is a TON more to listen to in the podcast, really recommend it!)

https://www.spacegamejunkie.com/oped/come-friends-discuss-star-citizen/
http://game-wisdom.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Brian-Rubin-5-25-16.mp3

@ 1:31

Someone asked me this the other day, why don't you have more STAR CITIZEN videos on your blog? And I answered them, 'because I can't download it'. Because every time I try to download it, it just STOPS. It just STOPS and I'm like 'I'm DONE with you, I'm done with your LAUNCHER, I don't want to sit here for 30 hours just to download ONE GAME'.

Someone actually emailed me and said, "You know what? If you turn off everything that uses the internet so that nothing can interrupt it, it'll be FINE", I'm like NO! I'm not doing that for one game! I'm not turning off my STEAM and my whatever to... NO! You're RIDICULOUS! I appreciate the advice, but NO! So I haven't played STAR CITIZEN in about... a year? And... um... I'm gonna make a CONFESSION to you, I bought a few SHIPS for it, and then I sold them at a PROFIT like six months ago... and then I bought a LIFETIME KEY for ELITE DANGEROUS! Because ELITE DANGEROUS is a game I can play RIGHT NOW.

And someone will be like, "oh you can play STAR CITIZEN", noooo not really, I saw... have you ever heard of BAD NEWS BARON? He's a streamer? He's a FULL TIME STREAMER, it's what he does, and he's a big STAR CITIZEN proponent, so I watched a stream of him and a bunch of people playing STAR CITIZEN the other day and I'm like, 'aaaaaahhhhhh... this game's not gonna be done until TWENTY TWENTY TWO... MAAAAYBE...'

I... I mean I still have bought into it, so I still have a SHIP and everything once the game is READY, I'm just like, 'I've got other stuff to play you guys... like ELITE, which ACTUALLY WORKS RIGHT NOW',

Q:
What are they doing like FUNDING WISE, I just went on their SITE for the first time and I see that there's...

They're still selling ships! They're still selling ships, they're still selling... having SALES on SHIPS, ships that aren't even DONE YET, ships that you can't even FLY... people are still buying them! Man if that's... that's... you know, how your COOKIE crumbles that's GREAT, that's not how I'm... that's not how ME works... wow I can't even talk anymore... But like um... like... like... I don't... I mean... and they're still... you can still BUY, I think, you can still SPEND MONEY for IN GAME CREDITS I think... I think I saw a video were now you can buy PANTS in the game... for your CHARACTER...

It's a CLOTHING STORE, it's like a FUTURISTIC GAP and you can actually buy... So yeah, I'm at my... I used to be a huge like 'oh my god this game is gonna be great', but as it gets FARTHER and FARTHER away from the date they gave us in KICKSTARTER, back when we got it... like, it was supposed to come out in 2014, and they just kept ADDING STUFF and ADDING STUFF and ADDING STUFF... like I think one of the stretch goals was a FISH TANK for your hangar at one point... it was like sixty some million or something, and they PASSED IT, of course they did, and uh... and it's like, OK, I don't... I don't... I'm just gonna... I'm just... I'm just gonna put you in the back of the ROOM for now, I'm gonna deal with the people... the GAMES up front here, that I can PLAY right now and that actually WORK... and I'll come back to you! Later! I'll check in on you... NEXT YEAR... when I've UPGRADED, that's probably what I'll do, when I've upgraded my computer in a year or two, I'll try you again. Like even before I install STEAM or anything I'll install THAT just to see what it's like.

But... last time I tried it, I couldn't configure my JOYSTICK. Or my THROTTLE. Or my PEDALS. Or my HEADTRACKING. Uhm... and... and... like... it took FOREVER to get into a match, and I couldn't... I couldn't ENJOY it. So, I just like... 'yeah, we're DONE. For now. We're just DONE.'

It's just... it's such a SHAME.

Q:
I'm looking at these STRETCH GOALS and there's a voice in my head saying, 'this is just all BULLSHIT'. I'm looking at the SIXTY FOUR MILLION DOLLAR STRETCHGOAL, which is the PET ONE that you were just mentioning. You're telling me that it costs ONE MILLION DOLLARS to add a PET SYSTEM in the game? That doesn't make sense.

But all those FISH are INDIVIDUALLY MODELED and they have their OWN AI and... and.. each SCALE is individually RENDERED and... I don't know...I have no idea any more...

Eventually I believe they stopped adding stretch goals, I think they did that a while ago but... I got other stuff to PLAY right now, I mean there's ELITE coming out with NEW STUFF and they're already, you know, past 1.0... there's just a TON of games out that I can play RIGHT NOW. Or look, I can go BACK and play WING COMMANDER, or I could play FREESPACE 2, you know, if I want that EXPERIENCE. I don't... need you right now, it's so... it's so... it's so FRUSTRATING. It's SO FRUSTRATING.

Q:
This is just really showing those tell-tale signs of a game that's GOING to CRASH AND BURN. Cos it just feels like there's no, like... PLAN... like they're just like ADDING STUFF by throwing darts on a BOARD. This is similar to what happened with PLANETARY ANNIHILATION, and how they hit ALL their stretch goals and I think it just OVERWHELMED them and... I know earlier this year they announced for STAR CITIZEN, there's now going to be a complete STORY BASED SINGLE PLAYER CAMPAIGN, I think MARK HAMILL and GARY OLDMAN are gonna be in it?

I mean that was probably the original THING, was that there was gonna be SQUADRON FORTY-TWO and it was gonna be the more WING COMMANDER-Y single player portion of the game, I mean that was there from the get-go but then... MARK HAMILL? And... and... GARY OLDMAN? And... and... the... the woman I... from the X-FILES, I can't remember her name... GILLIAN ANDERSON... yeah SHE'S in it, it's like, 'Oh! Yeah, yeah, like BIG NAMES', it's like oh, so THAT'S where our MONEY'S GOING.

And then you see like VIDEO of their OFFICES, like they've got... one of their offices has a DOOR that looks like it's from a SPACESHIP. Like... CUSTOM DOOR. It's like, is that what our... yeah. Is that REALLY what our money... when I saw that I was like 'OK, I... I'm just gonna... IGNORE this'

Jesus Christ stop trying to replicate the cadence of the speech and just use complete sentences. This is unreadable.

DOCa Cola
Feb 25, 2016

I am Ben Lesnicks wife, Alex IRL
Ask me anything!
An older iteration of the maintenance image exists on the server. Nothing too noteworthy about that one. However it has still some photoshop raw info in it, while the current one doesn't. It documents the date it was last modified in photoshop. And again, no surprises there -> today. It at least confirms that this was just created for this occasion.
https://p6.zdassets.com/hc/theme_assets/290051/200072390/WebsiteUnderMaintenance.png

code:
<xmp:ModifyDate>2016-06-06T11:46:23+01:00</xmp:ModifyDate>
e: +01:00 could be a match for Germany then.
e2: nope. Germany would be +02:00 (due to summer time)

e3: It is UK summer time. time zones are hard

DOCa Cola fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 6, 2016

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Haha I mean can they be even more obvious about this

Every hour is amature hour at cig. For the past 5 years.

Obvious about what? Derek SHART and the GOONS fabricated some fake screenshots and videos but then when someone else tried it and proved it was fake they DDOSed the customer service page

And coincidentally CS just happened to be making a new form because they are always improving so they just decided to leave that old one DDOSed and start deploying the new one

Achamp
Oct 19, 2005
The two hhhwhat.... The two yutes your honor
Can MoMMA start talking about the ToS again? That was both fun and time consuming. It's hard to wait two weeks.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Eldragon posted:

Jesus Christ stop trying to replicate the cadence of the speech and just use complete sentences. This is unreadable.

STOP! Reading it then... easy, not... DIFFICULT

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Achamp posted:

Can MoMMA start talking about the ToS again? That was both fun and time consuming. It's hard to wait two weeks.

I'd like to hear the story about the ToS again too. It's my favorite.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Frontier Developments are on there, so I don't see why Foundry wouldn't be.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.

First result for "under construction" in GIS:

A Lone Girl Flier fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 6, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Eldragon posted:

Yeah, nah, that's the best part of SomethingJones' transcripts. It's more fun when it's Ben or Chris though.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

We've done more to dictate CIG's direction than anyone paid to work there. I say we take the honorary position they've granted us de facto and start helping out. G0RF has done his part from a marketing perspective (if Sandi doesn't take his advice, that's on her - Martin Shkreli has better PR than what she's done for CIG) so it's up to the rest of us to help with roadmaps and design documents.

CIG, please take a look at the work Toops has done. A single person has not only created a game in a fraction of the time, and without $114 million and four studios, but in a single weekend has also managed to swap out the engine, because he was not happy with his first choice. Granted, Toops isn't trying to do the things in the engine that you're reaching for, but that's part of the problem, isn't it? To paraphrase a great man, when asked his opinion on your space MMO with flying, FPS, landable planets, and local physics grids: "Your developers were so preoccupied with whether or not they should that they didn't stop to think if they could!" Understanding your goals, and making sure they are achieveable, is the first step on the road. Then you start deciding the next steps towards those goals.

I realize that creating realistic, if uninspired, ship assets and having the sunlight glint off their metallic frames is what gives Chris a chubby in staff meetings. I get it, I really do - I've worked with autistic employees as well - you help people out as resources allow. Now try to keep up with me here, because this is going to get somewhat technical, but your ability to create these ship models does not automatically mean that you have made a space game.

I realize that this information might be new to perhaps 500 or so of your current employees, but it's really something you should bring them up to speed on.

Once your staff is on board with the concept that they have not, in fact, been building a space game, then they'll be ready to tackle the challenge of actually doing what the backers have paid $114 million dollars for. I sympathize with your situation: it's not easy to make a game, and it's far more fun to just crank out pictures of ships and take money for them. It's particularly difficult when you're spread across several studios in multiple countries, and the difficulty cranks up to 11 when you have no leadership or vision. Unfortunately, that is the situation you're in, so you've got to make the most of it. Talk amongst yourselves during staff meetings about the things you've seen and enjoyed about space games that existed and functioned. Did they have mining? What did you like about that? What didn't work? Do you have workable ideas how to improve the experience while maintaining the parts you enjoyed? Talk about these things, and come up with a plan. Designate one person to take a greatly simplified version of that plan to Chris Roberts, preferably written in crayon, and have them describe it to him while waving their hands around, making whooshing noises, and saying SHOULD, COULD, STUFF, and GONNA BE PRETTY COOL as much as possible. When Chris provides his feedback, write it down very carefully, making notes of his advice and his concerns. What does he like? What does he dislike? Keep it all on a single sheet of paper.

On your way back to the rest of the staff, shred that page, and then proceed with the plan you made in the first place.

When dealing with Sandi, take a page from Greek hero Perseus and keep a mirror handy. In this smartphone era, we all have cameras on us at all times - this is also perfect. Ask her what she did with her hair, compliment her shoes, or just say something like "you look different today" with a sparkle in your eye. Remember, toxic employees can be a menace, but they can also be a benefit. Pick the viper up like Steve Irwin, and point the business end elsewhere. Mention that the donut delivery guy has been slacking. Tell her the immersion-door installation team said she looked old. Wonder aloud why nobody is using the prepped rehearsal room when there's all this unused film just sitting in there waiting for someone to do an impromptu audition. Keep her busy.

Setting up some priorities is also in order. Wearing space-boxers is usually near the top of the priority list when any development studio sits down and starts spitballing about the features in their new space game, but try to resist the temptation of following the establishment, and consider a fresh approach. You don't have the leering eye of a publisher watching over your every decision, so use that to your advantage and start thinking outside of the box. Consider an unconventional approach such as knowing what you're building, discussing what the plans for the game are, even going all the way through the looking-glass by deciding what some of the game mechanics might be. It seems counter-intuitive, but those kinds of considerations give you a framework during development that can pay dividends down the road. Instead of giving players time-outs in their bunk because they rammed a ship, for example, you could instead make the ships function in space. Instead of having space boxers for your clone spacemen to wear, you could have the players stop clipping through geometry.

Don't be afraid to use contracted resources for some of the bigger challenges. A first-year computer-science student could help you cobble together a functioning patcher, for example. Don't make the mistake of thinking you have to solve these seemingly impossible problems all yourselves.

I hope some of this helps.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jun 6, 2016

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

If you had a few hours to whip something up and to try and save face after the monumental fuckup they went through, you'd pick the first image too.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.

Iglocska posted:

If you had a few hours to whip something up and to try and save face after the monumental fuckup they went through, you'd pick the first image too.

It belongs to Arcady on shutterstock so I hope they have their license up to date!

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yeah, nah, that's the best part of SomethingJones' transcripts. It's more fun when it's Ben or Chris though.

Yeah, er, wop er do AGREED, the transcripts are best...can't REFACTOR the verbal PIPELINE...this time.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Eldragon posted:

I like it. It shows how loving exasperated this dude is, and provides a nice counterpoint to Croberts's mushmouth.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

AAAARCHEEEEERRRRRR!

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015
Probation

Beet Wagon posted:

AAAARCHEEEEERRRRRR!

You can actually see the rough outline at the bottom of the sign, when they shopped out the black shadow. This means it was not purchased via stuttershock, but simply taken for GIS.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Dante80 posted:

You can actually see the rough outline at the bottom of the sign, when they shopped out the black shadow. This means it was not purchased via stuttershock, but simply taken for GIS.

Shutterstock images are watermarked

edit - sorry that's exactly what you were saying!

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015
Probation

SomethingJones posted:

Shutterstock images are watermarked

Not if you buy them, as any company does. They simply took the image from google, removed the black shadow and pasted it on the planet.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 6, 2016

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

There's always more and it's always :cig:

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game

SirViver posted:

Yea, C# is massively more comfortable to write in than C++, but unfortunately a lot of what makes it comfortable is also a really bad for game engine logic. Like for example the whole garbage collecting mechanism, which you don't have any control over and can halt all your application's threads at any point, leading to framerate stutters, so you end up writing your own object pooling system to avoid creating/freeing objects and minimize memory pressure, giving the GC as little reason to run as possible. Or having to use ref arguments everywhere if you want to avoid unnecessarily creating tons of variable copies when for example performing matrix multiplications. Or having to use arrays of structs when dealing with lots of entities (e.g. particles), as this is the only way to guarantee memory locality so you can minimize costly cache misses. Or the JIT compiler that is very much optimized for transforming IL to machine code quickly, which in turn means that the generated code itself is not heavily optimized, as there's not exactly a lot of time to do any deep static analysis.

C# is ideal for rapidly developing and changing business applications, but doesn't give you enough control over its features to make it a high performance language. Some issues you can work around, but the end result doesn't exactly look like idiomatic C# either :shrug:

Sorry for the derail; I wish Star Citizen had a garbage collecting mechanism. It'd save each user about 30GB of hard drive space...

Nice insight.
If SC had a garbage collecting mechanism, the first instance of object to be trashed would be the game itself.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

SelenicMartian posted:

There's always more and it's always :cig:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

RattiRatto posted:

Nice insight.
If SC had a garbage collecting mechanism, the first instance of object to be trashed would be the game itself.

Guess it's already in then? :shrug:

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo

Eldragon posted:

I quite enjoy the way he transcribes.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Achamp posted:

It's too painful for him. That ToS was his pride and joy, the accomplishment (such as it was) of his professional life to date, the front and center of every job application he's sent out since. Now Derek's deconstructed it thoroughly, and he's got to face the fact it looks an awful lot like a pile of legally unactionable drivel that won't serve any of its purposes. You know how difficult it is for a rational, logical actor with his pretensions to expertise? He's got a fragile ego and will need a while to nourish it back to health.

Give him time man, give him time. Give the MOMA (short for "Mom's Attic", where he lives") a chance to accomplish something new on which to base his immense self respect, then he'll be able to take a few jabs about the ToS in stride.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I'm laughing my rear end off irl

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

Dante80 posted:

Not if you buy them, as any company does. They simply took the image from google, removed the black shadow and pasted it on the planet.

Oops. Better take down the maintenance page, Sandi!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

So let's list the creative sources behind Star Citizen's development:

• This thread
  • Google image search
  • Chris' imagination recollection of better SciFi franchises
In descending order. I forgot any?