Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Broken Cog posted:

That's an old video, there's about twice as much now, although a lot of it is related to the various Halloween events.

I am literally an owl! Hoot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm imagining a sniper healer that restores more health the further away they are/boosted heals for headshots/moving targets and it would be a very good trainwreck

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Broken Cog posted:

Make a healing sniper that has to sit back and snipe his/her own teammates.

Edit: Some kind of healer using turrets could also be kinda neat. Think dispensers from TF2, but kinda like Symmetra turrets instead or something.

So basically a WOW shaman.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Healer with rifle that heals allies and damages enemies, but if you just hit an enemy your next hit does double healing to an ally, if you just healed an ally your next hit does double damage to an enemy.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Blizzard basically doomed themselves into releasing boring healers with the addition of mercy, a hero that can hold down m1 and heal away a billion incoming damage

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A sniper rifle that shoots syringes, which is also shaped like a giant syringe.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

A sniper rifle that shoots syringes, which is also shaped like a giant syringe.

Don't do drugs kids! (throws syringe at you)

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Lady Naga posted:

TF2 has a huge variety of lines because they had over eight years to add them all in.

Yeah but Overwatch isn't competing with TF2 of eight years ago, it's competing with TF2 of right now in 2016.

It's like when all the lovely MMOs tried to be WoW killers around 2010. Nobody took "But WoW didn't have [x] either in 2004!" seriously because, again, release day WoW wasn't the game they were competing against and it wasn't relevant at all. But somehow this excuse is now perfectly ok because Blizzard is the competitor not the reigning champion in this case?

I haven't played TF2 since like 2010 and loving love Overwatch right now, I just think that's a bad dumb excuse is all.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
A healer where I get to sit in base alt-tabbed and watch funny vines while I support my team.

If I watch a particularly funny one it gives a temporary healing bonus.

Veib posted:

Yeah but Overwatch isn't competing with TF2 of eight years ago, it's competing with TF2 of right now in 2016.

It's like when all the lovely MMOs tried to be WoW killers around 2010. Nobody took "But WoW didn't have [x] either in 2004!" seriously because, again, release day WoW wasn't the game they were competing against and it wasn't relevant at all. But somehow this excuse is now perfectly ok because Blizzard is the competitor not the reigning champion in this case?

I haven't played TF2 since like 2010 and loving love Overwatch right now, I just think that's a bad dumb excuse is all.
Nobody is competing with the TF2 of right now in 2016 because the only people left playing it are entrenched users.

Also no it is not in fact a lovely excuse to say "tf2 gets an unfair advantage by virtue of having twice the development cycle of a new game" unless you expected Blizzard to keep Overwatch in development while they added in a bunch of VO.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Minrad posted:

my stacks mostly consistent of people picking incoherent messes and d.va and zenyatta and then complaining about them picking reinhardt/mercy/lucio/mccree/pharah/soldier

Is this easy mode? Lol.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Thoughtless posted:

The only reason I doubt Reaper being a joke is that this is Blizzard, who have written characters exactly like him fully seriously before (Kerrigan and Arthas, for example).

Kerrigan in SC1 was legitimately good writing. A woman who has been tortured since childhood, used as a tool for various governments, and betrayed by everyone she's ever known is eventually forced to become one with the beast and instead of being another tragic twist she decides that it's awesome because she can use it to kill everyone who did wrong by her.

Shame about SC2, but Blizzard hasn't exactly been home for good writing since Bill Roeper left. No idea if there's a relation there or not.

Arthas is pretty dumb because his story is a forced moral choice that's widely telegraphed and he's obviously written as stupid.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Mierenneuker posted:

My understanding is that she used to have a different VA but replaced her with native speaker. They probably added most of the German lines at that point.

I wish they'd do that with Torbjörn too. You know those terrible lines he has that no one uses? Those are old sayings that would've sounded completely metal in Swedish.

Thoughtless posted:

A healing sniper would actually be hella fun. Sit at the backlines and fire medicine darts into their skulls.

I like what you're going for, but I'll pass on dying in a hail of inaccurate heal-bullets.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Donnerberg posted:

I like what you're going for, but I'll pass on dying in a hail of inaccurate heal-bullets.

See it's people like you why we can't have fun healers

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Is there a trick to getting your bnet battle tag to appear on Master Overwatch? Have I not played enough hours? Does it only rank the top amount and so I'm just no good enough to show up?

On PC and confused

This is from a few pages back, but I thought I would help out to anyone just joining in.

When searching for your Profile you have to add your #0000 afterwords, and the search is case sensitive.

If you mess up either it won't find you.

Ninja Edit: Give Pharah a string of voicelines with her MechaQueen similar to TF2's Soldier "Bleep Bloop I am a Robot."

Also get an option to set voice lines to Random.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

I thought it was semi-confirmed or datamined that the next hero is probably going to be Sombra, a support sniper. I don't know if she has to snipe your allies to heal them, but I imagine something similar to Zenyatta where you heal from ranged.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
It'd be nice if it was another debuffer, there's only one of those and three separate healers.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Lady Naga posted:

The bullets do no damage to enemies.

Doing no damage hasn't stopped thousands of widowmakers and hanzos

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Minorkos posted:

See it's people like you why we can't have fun healers

Wait, is healing supposed to be fun? I've been doing this wrong.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Donnerberg posted:

Wait, is healing supposed to be fun? I've been doing this wrong.

Gunning someone down as Mercy and letting them know you'll be sending them your consultation fee is always fun.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

OxySnake posted:

Also get an option to set voice lines to Random.

I wish everything (skins, sprays, emotes, etc) had a Random button. or checkboxes to say "random amongst these ones". do it blizzard

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Veib posted:

This is the relevant part: Overwatch isn't competing with TF2 because TF2 is a dead game that nobody plays anymore, nobody gives a poo poo how many random wacky voice lines there are they want to play the fun game

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
If I'm having fun with Pharah and Junkrat who should I try next? I feel like I'm gonna fall apart when I finally meet a half decent widowmaker

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Doing no damage hasn't stopped thousands of widowmakers and hanzos

What sucks is playing on a few strong characters, getting your MMR to a certain level, and then trying out another for a while. After c. 90 hours played, I have 2 minutes on Widowmaker, but I'd like to try her out someday without being a 'no damage/useless' widowmaker on the team. I've tried Hanzo out a bit and it took me about an hour or so to start actually landing headshots and kills so it felt terrible to be useless (and still am), but I also didn't want to never play anything but 2-3 heroes or just play vs AI for hours before Quick Play. I guess once ranked comes out, it will be a bit better. All of the hardcore W/L K/D people will play there, only selecting the top tier heroes, and QM will be filled with 6 Hanzo v Hanzo matches.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Imagined posted:

I mentioned this in the whining thread as just a thought, but the more I think about it the more I like it. I was wondering how to make a healing class that pubbies would actually play. How about making an offensive healer that heals by dealing damage? Sort of like a Warrior Priest from Warhammer but with guns. Maybe he's in the Zarya/Roadhog class of offensive tank but instead of a damaging ult his/her ult is a huge fuckoff AOE heal.

Huge fuckoff AOE heals aren't that good, your team needs constant care over time. See: Zenyatta who has the worst support ult

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

If I'm having fun with Pharah and Junkrat who should I try next? I feel like I'm gonna fall apart when I finally meet a half decent widowmaker

Mei can be fun to troll the hell out of the enemy team with walls, ice blocks, and freezes. Her right-click is like a dang sniper shot too. I've only played her for about 30 minutes, but she could be really annoying. I don't think she's as strong, damage-wise, as Pharah and Junkrat, but decent for control and staring at your helpless enemies in the face as you walk up to them and icicle them to death with a smile.

Indecisive posted:

Huge fuckoff AOE heals aren't that good, your team needs constant care over time. See: Zenyatta who has the worst support ult

Yea, not a fan of his 'burst heal' being in the form of an ult. It can't prevent 1-shots like Lucio, recover from deaths like Mercy, and his healing is weaker than either in general. I enjoy playing him too, and he is my highest-played character, but he could use some love. I'd rather they tone down his damage in exchange for better healing and faster travel times on his orbs.

DrSeRRoD fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 6, 2016

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
Does Blizzard ever add skins or other cosmetic items to games that are inspired by fan designs?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Indecisive posted:

zenyatta ult is a decent counter to hanzo ult and that's probably about it

maybe reaper ult too but i haven't actually pulled that one off

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Pharah is good AoE Offense.
Junkrat is good AoE defense.

If you want to keep with the theme,
Winston is good AoE Tanking
Lucio is good AoE Healing

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Lady Naga posted:

It'd be nice if it was another debuffer, there's only one of those and three separate healers.

Counterpoint is that zenyatta's "press e to make this person worse" is really boring and they should stick with stuff you have to aim whenever possible, like mei or mcree etc.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

resistentialism posted:

Counterpoint is that zenyatta's "press e to make this person worse" is really boring and they should stick with stuff you have to aim whenever possible, like mei or mcree etc.

Or like...A support sniper where you have to shoot enemies to debuff them???

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Lady Naga posted:

I have a really hard time not spelling Roadhog with two g's,

Roadhogg

'Roaðhöggr' would be a sweet skin and really in line with his self styled one-man apocalypse identity and metaphorically in line with how he uses a gun that shoots garbage at you.

'Im a one man ragnarok'

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

DrSeRRoD posted:

Mei can be fun to troll the hell out of the enemy team with walls, ice blocks, and freezes. Her right-click is like a dang sniper shot too. I've only played her for about 30 minutes, but she could be really annoying. I don't think she's as strong, damage-wise, as Pharah and Junkrat, but decent for control and staring at your helpless enemies in the face as you walk up to them and icicle them to death with a smile.

Mei's a fucker everytime I go up against her, I'll check her out.

Thor-Stryker posted:

Pharah is good AoE Offense.
Junkrat is good AoE defense.

If you want to keep with the theme,
Winston is good AoE Tanking
Lucio is good AoE Healing
I briefly played Winston but wasn't sure what I was doing (only had like 10 seconds in the match). I'll check him out too. Is it similar tanking to Reinhardt? Or is it more mobile?

I had a bad experience where there were 4 Lucio's on my team skating around on Anubis, incapable of capping point A.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Indecisive posted:

You say that but as a regular support player it's sometimes better to have an ult that keeps yourself and everyone alive over an ult that requires you to survive and everyone else to die to be useful because you're not always going to be able to expect that rocket barrage or death blossom but you have time to react to it and negate it as Zen whereas with mercy if you're caught with the team when it happens you're all screwed.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Donnerberg posted:

I wish they'd do that with Torbjörn too. You know those terrible lines he has that no one uses? Those are old sayings that would've sounded completely metal in Swedish.

Torb's weird Swedish phrases are his best and most used lines

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

I briefly played Winston but wasn't sure what I was doing (only had like 10 seconds in the match). I'll check him out too. Is it similar tanking to Reinhardt? Or is it more mobile?

Winston is far more mobile than Reinhart. You can leap up and smack down the snipers or leap behind enemy lines, harass/kill the healer, and leap out. His shield is also something you can place and has protection from all directions, but not as spammable as Reinhardt's. He's a great compliment to leap around when Rein has to be less mobile holding down a door or payload. He's also the only character that I like when I see a genji or tracer approaching.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Indecisive posted:

Well I'm not a game designer, obviously. I'm just trying to think of ways to make an offensive, front line healer who can help lead a push from the front instead of follow at the back, to make a more "fun" healer that appeals to people who like to DPS. Maybe a slightly tanky short-range character who pumps out an AOE heal with every hit they land, in proportion to how much damage it does? So it would be somewhere in between the steadiness of Lucio's aura and the raw single-target healing of Mercy.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

DrSeRRoD posted:

What sucks is playing on a few strong characters, getting your MMR to a certain level, and then trying out another for a while.

I watch a streamer (nvltv) who suffers from this and it's kinda funny to watch sometimes. He is a god-tier Widowmaker and it's pushed his MMR so high that now he's trying to learn Genji and some other dudes at a tier where he gets instadunked for any mistake.

I'm glad my general incompetence will never push me that high

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

DrSeRRoD posted:

Winston is far more mobile than Reinhart. You can leap up and smack down the snipers or leap behind enemy lines, harass/kill the healer, and leap out. His shield is also something you can place and has protection from all directions, but not as spammable as Reinhardt's. He's a great compliment to leap around when Rein has to be less mobile holding down a door or payload. He's also the only character that I like when I see a genji or tracer approaching.
That sounds very cool. I really have a problem playing less mobile characters in games like this, especially when there's so much vertical space in a map.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

MY ABACUS! posted:

Does Blizzard ever add skins or other cosmetic items to games that are inspired by fan designs?

they do not need your lovely art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Kerrrrrrr posted:

zenyatta ult is a decent counter to hanzo ult and that's probably about it

maybe reaper ult too but i haven't actually pulled that one off

Ah yes the very useful counter to one of the weakest ults in the game.

Zenyatta's ult has its uses but it really has a hard time being as useful as lucio's (shielding is almost always better than healing) or mercy's

Actually thats my really big beef with zenyatta's ult - it's just so much less useful than lucio's given that the most devastating good ults or even some characters' standard damage output instantly kill through it.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 6, 2016