Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Lord_Magmar posted:

In particular to one part of that, Medivh is corrupted because his mother got infested with the will of Sargeras whilst he was in the womb, he's not related to Garona at all unless they changed that. Medivh isn't a story about corruption, it's a story about a good man having to fight against an incredibly insidious form of mind control, he's not evil he's just got the leader of the Burning Legion in his head telling him what to do. It's rather telling that after he fixes that problem he exiles himself and dedicates his life to working out how to stop the Legion permanently. If they actually tried to make Medivh a corruption story that's hilarious.

Yep it's straight up unexplained corruption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

IronicDongz posted:

I think it's telling that most of the defense of this movie is basically "now, hold on, it's actually just really mediocre"

Yeah, I'm not really buying the Battlefield Earth comparisons: that movie was utterly bonkers and a thing of wonder to behold in how marvelously wrongheaded it was, whereas Warcraft just looks like the same bland, derivative Blizzard slop we've been getting on the game side for years.

I'd love to see an all-CGI Warcraft movie that fully embraces the more ridiculous aspects of the setting — think Lord of the Rings crossed with Looney Tunes, which pretty much describes the games anyway — but instead, it looks to be yet another po-faced, self-reverential fantasy product, not unlike a hundred others that no one particularly wanted to see.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jun 6, 2016

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Bimmi posted:

Yeah, I'm not really buying the Battlefield Earth comparisons: that movie was utterly bonkers and a thing of wonder to behold in how marvelously wrongheaded it was, whereas Warcraft just looks like the same bland, derivative Blizzard slop we've been getting on the game side for years.

I'd love to see an all-CGI Warcraft movie that fully embraces the more ridiculous aspects of the setting — think Lord of the Rings crossed with Looney Tunes, which pretty much describes the games anyway — but instead, it looks to be yet another po-faced, self-reverential fantasy product, not unlike a hundred others that no one particularly wanted to see.

The best comparison is to the Dungeons and Dragons film. The one with Jeremy Irons in.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Taear posted:

The best comparison is to the Dungeons and Dragons film. The one with Jeremy Irons in.

Who's the Jeremy Irons equivalent, here?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sanguinia posted:

I like "mediocre," movies, and TV, and books, and every other form of entertainment. I hate the cultural meme that's festered for the last 8 or so years that everything has to be the best thing in the history of ever tour-de-force #gamechanger or a HILARIOUS TRAIN WRECK LAWL, and the ultimate crime is to be average. Average is the trenches, without average things that play it safe but because they are so safe are willing to experiment with one or two bits, truly great art would never be made if you ask me.

Sharknado and Troll 2 may be fun for a laugh, but I'm tired of hearing about them as being preferable to "mediocre," movies. I'd rather watch something I can kick back with a bowl of popcorn and ACTUALLY enjoy, even if only in parts or at an overall low level, than waste any more hours on IRONIC enjoyment of trash.

Spoken like a true WOW fan.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

THE BAR posted:

Who's the Jeremy Irons equivalent, here?

Duncan Jones, really.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

temple posted:

He was under Sargeras control before then.

Its a matroska of bad retcons.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Taear posted:

I'd say it's better than Dungeons and Dragons (when it comes to both acting and production value) and is in no way even close to comparable to Battlefield Earth. Any reviewer that compares it to Battlefield Earth needs to get his eyes checked or is simply trying to generate clickbait.

The movie is still, to me, best compared to Eragon. Both movies try to cram too much into one movie, forgoing character building in favor of checking off important scenes at breakneck speed, one right after another. Both movies are better when you know their source material, but on their own their stories fall flat along with their characters.

Batham fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jun 6, 2016

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I'd probably watch it again of its on tv somewhere in a year or so. More than I can say about Eragon or The Last Airbender.

I'd watch Battlefield Earth too, though. Still top contender for high production worst movie I've ever seen.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Eragon, to me, is the epitome of "bland, forgettable, waste of time" genre flicks that aren't even bad enough to entertain. Sucks if Warcraft is cut from the same cloth, but that's sure the impression I'm getting.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
Well, I had more genuine laughs (at non fan stuff) while watching Warcraft than I did while watching Eragon, if it counts for anything.

Batham fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jun 6, 2016

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!
The John Carter comparison seems most apt, although Warcraft is a hell of a lot more current as source material.

I'd say "relevant," but that may be giving it too much credit. Except maybe as a pan-Pacific cultural ambassador of sorts, but even that role is played more by Starcraft and DotA than Warcraft.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If it's half as entertaining as John Carter then this will be a good movie.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

I enjoyed John Carter a whole lot more, but tastes differ. :shrug:

e: Like seriously, the movie isn't dogshit. If you're on the fence and want to see it because you like Warcraft in any shape or form, or want to see a popcorn movie, go watch it.

Batham fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 6, 2016

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Batham posted:

Well, I had more genuine laughs (at non fan stuff) while watching Warcraft than I did while watching Eragon, if it counts for anything.

At my cinema the film got a lot of startled laughs, where the tone of the film suddenly changed. Such as "It's never done that before" in a thick welsh accent in Dalaran.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Taear posted:

At my cinema the film got a lot of startled laughs, where the tone of the film suddenly changed. Such as "It's never done that before" in a thick welsh accent in Dalaran.

I was a little startled by that too, as it's the only good line of dialogue in the whole movie. I bet the actor improvised it.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
"The orcs are supposedly a smart species, but they have yet to invent t-shirts":boom:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I think people are getting the wrong impression of the negative reviews. This movie is not 'bad' bad. The acting is competent, the action is okay and the CGI is actually really cool when it's not trying to fellate a WoW-area. Someone mentioned Dungeons and Dragon's up above and that's just completely stupid, that movie is bad in almost every technical capacity, that is not this movies problem. Warcraft is a fully competent film, it's just not a very engaging or fun one.

Dungeons and Dragon's is carried by its even for the time awful effects, mostly terrible acting, a terrible script and Jeremy Irons giving a performance that would make Nicholas Cage blush. I wish Warcraft was bad enough to be interesting because then at least I wouldn't have felt cheated walking out of the cinema. Instead it's just competent but dull. No great performances, no spectacular action scenes, under-developed characters and a plot that is so busy setting up for sequels that it doesn't even itself know what it's about.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Isn't the writer of Foxtrot a giant nerd too?

This was great yesterday.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

MiddleOne posted:

I think people are getting the wrong impression of the negative reviews. This movie is not 'bad' bad. The acting is competent, the action is okay and the CGI is actually really cool when it's not trying to fellate a WoW-area. Someone mentioned Dungeons and Dragon's up above and that's just completely stupid, that movie is bad in almost every technical capacity, that is not this movies problem. Warcraft is a fully competent film, it's just not a very engaging or fun one.

Dungeons and Dragon's is carried by its even for the time awful effects, mostly terrible acting, a terrible script and Jeremy Irons giving a performance that would make Nicholas Cage blush. I wish Warcraft was bad enough to be interesting because then at least I wouldn't have felt cheated walking out of the cinema. Instead it's just competent but dull. No great performances, no spectacular action scenes, under-developed characters and a plot that is so busy setting up for sequels that it doesn't even itself know what it's about.

I totally disagree. It's really, really bad in just the same way as Dungeons and Dragons because the story makes no sense without prior knowledge and the effects - when they interact with something real - are really loving bad.
The orc breaking the neck of the black captainy guy actually clips through him, for one thing.

I'd liken the effects to the ones in Peter Jackson's king kong where they're okay as long as they're presented just on background but as soon as they interact with an actual person they're suddenly really bad.

If it was just competent but boring it'd be surprisingly good for a video game film but it's not, it's straight up bad with huge weird leaps of logic and terrible stupid effects.

Also dragons is a plural!

Taear fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 6, 2016

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Some acting was less competent than the rest. King Llane could've been portrayed by a lamppost for all the emotion he shows.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Taear posted:

I totally disagree. It's really, really bad in just the same way as Dungeons and Dragons because the story makes no sense without prior knowledge and the effects - when they interact with something real - are really loving bad.
The orc breaking the neck of the black captainy guy actually clips through him, for one thing.

I'd liken the effects to the ones in Peter Jackson's king kong where they're okay as long as they're presented just on background but as soon as they interact with an actual person they're suddenly really bad.

If it was just competent but boring it'd be surprisingly good for a video game film but it's not, it's straight up bad with huge weird leaps of logic and terrible stupid effects.

I don't agree. For one, I didn't even notice the clipping while watching the movie (reminds me of that infamous Frozen gif and it didn't bother me then either) and as for the Peter Jackson example; There's what, the forest battle and the final battle where orcs and human actors actually interact on screen? Didn't really stick out to me. If anything bothered me it was the random CGI humans which stood out like sore thumbs in pretty much every non-battle scene. When it's just the orcs the movie looks great.

You want terrible blockbuster CGI that will really make your eyes twitch? Go watch Apocalypse. Comparatively, Warcraft did fine.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The cast is enjoying this poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zByWMvVIfiw

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The dwarves had a melted plastic look about them, pretty bad design. This is something we can blame on Metzen, right?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

temple posted:

"The orcs are supposedly a smart species, but they have yet to invent t-shirts":boom:

That was a pretty poorly written review, beyond the factual errors it just read like a typical dumbass trying to sound smarter than he is.

Now this is how you trash a movie you hate.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Watching this was more entertaining than any 4 minutes and 44 seconds in the actual movie.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Really, the whole movie should have been this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE_a9Q0ROGo

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Bimmi posted:

Really, the whole movie should have been this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE_a9Q0ROGo

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Battlefield Earth of the 21st Century makes me kind of curious in it, but I won't be fooled.

Not saying it's gonna be good, but the reviews remind me of Battleship, inasmuch as its obvious these guys knew what they were gonna write before they ever saw the movie

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

DeimosRising posted:

Not saying it's gonna be good, but the reviews remind me of Battleship, inasmuch as its obvious these guys knew what they were gonna write before they ever saw the movie

I wanted to like this. I wanted there to be a good videogame movie and I like Duncan Jones.

But the film is really really lovely. Honestly.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DeimosRising posted:

Battleship had redeeming qualities... well, one redeeming quality.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I wanted to like this. I wanted there to be a good videogame movie and I like Duncan Jones.

But the film is really really lovely. Honestly.

I didn't mean you, for what it's worth.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Is there a post-credits scene?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

On the topic of credits-related scenes, was Thrall always literally Moses?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

Yes, except he's made a slave instead of being adopted into the royal family.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

DeimosRising posted:

I didn't mean you, for what it's worth.

I know, but it's immature to accuse critics who've slated this of making their minds up before they saw the movie. It really is just that bad.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

We'll see come Thursday.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

We'll see come Thursday.

Unleash the hounds!

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Its a bad movie, but anyone comparing it to Battlefield Earth needs to rewatch Battlefield Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MiddleOne posted:

Yes. He's the pet character of Blizzard's lead creative writing and story guy.

• Locked thread