Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Pony
Oct 7, 2005

THAT'S GOOD ENOUGH

Hopes Fall posted:

Unfortunately there are usually significant differences in the fat and protein amounts in puppy and adult formulations - check the bags. Did you try transitioning her or just putting out a new bowl of food? A lot of animals need to be 'tricked' into a different food. 3/4 old, 1/4 new, then 1/2 and 1/2, then 1/4 old 3/4 new. Usually a week or so at each point. It also helps them from developing any untoward stomachs issues, which would probably be a significant mess for a dog her size. Good luck!
Worked like a charm! Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

I'm looking to get a doberman for protection, could anyone help me answer some of the questions I laid out here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3364451&pagenumber=133#post459330687

Much appreciated.

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
If you get a Doberman, you should start saving up for the cardiologist that it will probably end up needing. Otherwise I don't really have a strong opinion. I do like Dobies though; all the ones I've met are very sweet.

velouria
Jul 23, 2001

I have a cat who is seventeen years old. He's in really good shape and generally healthy. He is good about grooming generally, but I think he has trouble washing his lower back. It looks kind of oily. Is there some product or homemade thing I can do to help him?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
my new girlfriend has a small dog and i am in love with this dog and would also like to get my own, but we are going to maybe be moving in together soon

are humane societies or adoption places w/e ever okay with people bringing a dog in and seeing if any get along with the other dogs? i don't really want to adopt a puppy but it might be nice to make sure that the dogs don't immediately hate eachother before i bring one home

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Yeah, most will be happy for you to have a meet and greet with the dogs. However, the biggest mistake people make when getting a new dog is rushing interactions. Even if the meet and greet goes well, I'd keep the dogs behind gates etc unless actively working with them for the first little while. Check out the OP of the puppy megathread for more detail.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

velouria posted:

I have a cat who is seventeen years old. He's in really good shape and generally healthy. He is good about grooming generally, but I think he has trouble washing his lower back. It looks kind of oily. Is there some product or homemade thing I can do to help him?

There are a few! I would check out grooming wipes-they're super affordable. You will definitely need to make sure they are either cat-specific or okay for cats, though. Since cats lick themselves you need to be 100% sure it won't poison him. Here are the ones we sell at my store: http://www.amazon.com/Earthbath-Nat...t+grooming+wipe You might also want to check out waterless bath sprays, but you'll still need to double check the warning label.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Someone identify this baby snek for me please. It got in my house somehow and my cat was playing with it. Don't think it's a copperhead, looks more like a baby ratsnake.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Gothmog1065 posted:

Someone identify this baby snek for me please. It got in my house somehow and my cat was playing with it. Don't think it's a copperhead, looks more like a baby ratsnake.

where do you live?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

where do you live?

Sorry, I meant to add that, central NC.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm not a snakeologist so I found this http://wncn.com/2016/03/30/warmer-weather-means-more-snakes-in-north-carolina/

Based on what I do know, I would bet he's non-venomous.

Nannypea
Feb 20, 2006

Faster, you naughty little monkey!

Gothmog1065 posted:

Here's a list and pictures of NC snakes https://www.ces.ncsu.edu/gaston/Pests/reptiles/snakepix.html

I would say non-venomous as well but I'm just someone on the internet.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
This would be answered instantly by the herp thread.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Does anyone have experience with a dog who has ruptured both ACLs? About 2 years ago, my pointer mix tore her ACL/MCL on her left hind leg. I had a surgery done which was a sort of hybrid graft as opposed to TPLO. Her leg hasn't ever regained 100%, probably 80-90% but she'll plant on it and runs just fine.

Today she has been limping pretty significantly and in almost the exact same fashion, just on her other leg. She's about 4 now, so relatively young. I'm about 99% sure this ACL has ruptured as well and want to know if there is a good route to take.

My biggest concerns are her long term mobility and pain.

McSharpie
Nov 11, 2005
Hotter than Garrison Keillor, but just a little bit.

Bovril Delight posted:

Does anyone have experience with a dog who has ruptured both ACLs? About 2 years ago, my pointer mix tore her ACL/MCL on her left hind leg. I had a surgery done which was a sort of hybrid graft as opposed to TPLO. Her leg hasn't ever regained 100%, probably 80-90% but she'll plant on it and runs just fine.

Today she has been limping pretty significantly and in almost the exact same fashion, just on her other leg. She's about 4 now, so relatively young. I'm about 99% sure this ACL has ruptured as well and want to know if there is a good route to take.

My biggest concerns are her long term mobility and pain.

Some dogs are just prone to ACL tears due to the way their knees are structured. I know a couple dogs where they tore one, had surgery to repair it, and then a year or so later tore the opposite one. My dog has had TPLOs on both knees and he's recovered just fine (he's 3 now).

The other option the vet gave me when I was looking into how to treat my dog was a procedure where they basically tie the two bones together, which was cheaper but wasn't recommended for dogs over 50 lbs but I can't remember what it was called. Dunno if that's what your dog had on her other leg.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

I don't know much about treatment options (though I recall hearing prognosis is generally pretty good) but from what I understand, if one ACL goes, it's basically just a matter of time until the other one goes. So this isn't an uncommon situation. Just kind of a crappy one. Good luck!

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Owner of a bilateral TPLO dog here, she's doing great 4 years after her surgeries (which were about 6 months apart). You already know about exercise restriction and careful rehab, but it's even more important the second time around, since the other knee is already compromised on some level.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

McSharpie posted:

Some dogs are just prone to ACL tears due to the way their knees are structured. I know a couple dogs where they tore one, had surgery to repair it, and then a year or so later tore the opposite one. My dog has had TPLOs on both knees and he's recovered just fine (he's 3 now).

The other option the vet gave me when I was looking into how to treat my dog was a procedure where they basically tie the two bones together, which was cheaper but wasn't recommended for dogs over 50 lbs but I can't remember what it was called. Dunno if that's what your dog had on her other leg.

I did the extra capsular you mentioned but the vets surgery hospital also harvested a tendon and grafted it in there. I can't really find much documentation online about this, but I called and confirmed this was the case.

I think I'll go TPLO this time as she was younger and smaller at the time we went the extra capsular repair.

Appreciate every chipping in with advice. Good to hear the doggies get along well with both legs surgically repaired. Meanwhile, my shiba mix has had only a sprained tail in 9 years.

Bye bye 3k! :homebrew::homebrew:

complimentary soap
Nov 29, 2014
The other day i was going home from burger king when i stopped my car outside my place i notice 2 strange animals i have never seen before, they were kinda big but didnt look that dangerous.
So i got close and offered them a cheeseburger, they did not eat it :(
Got inside to eat and after a while i saw a guy bringing these animals into a truck, but he drove away before i could talk to him and next day i read in local news that they were llamas that escaped or something..

Friend told me that llamas were from south america, but i live in a very cold place why are they here? would think that the climate here isnt good for them?
and what are they used for?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

esb posted:

The other day i was going home from burger king when i stopped my car outside my place i notice 2 strange animals i have never seen before, they were kinda big but didnt look that dangerous.
So i got close and offered them a cheeseburger, they did not eat it :(
Got inside to eat and after a while i saw a guy bringing these animals into a truck, but he drove away before i could talk to him and next day i read in local news that they were llamas that escaped or something..

Friend told me that llamas were from south america, but i live in a very cold place why are they here? would think that the climate here isnt good for them?
and what are they used for?

Llamas actually do much better in cold than heat because they are originally from high up in the Andes and their thick wool keeps them plenty warm. They are traditionally used as pack animals, like donkeys, and their wool is used to make clothes and they can be eaten. People outside of South America don't usually eat them anymore but use them to guard other animals like sheep or goats, make yarn out of their wool, use them as pack animals for hiking, or just keep them as pets.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.
Yes, Instant Jellyfish is right! However I would advise you to not approach strange animals that you don't know what they are! They could be bears!

complimentary soap
Nov 29, 2014

cloudy posted:

Yes, Instant Jellyfish is right! However I would advise you to not approach strange animals that you don't know what they are! They could be bears!

bears? seriously? i was a bit high but no way these guys were man eating bears in disguise

Crazedscot
May 1, 2007

I love you smug fox
Is it legal to turn a cat inside out and throw it in the laundry with an extra rinse cycle to give it a good clean?

If not what's the best course of action to deal with cat poop that smells so bad it's making me physically sick every time I wake up in the morning and catch a whiff of it wafting down the hall? I've tried all the usual advice - various brands of cat food, dry, wet, mixed, raw chicken, boiled chicken, small children kidnapped from the local park.

She's a lovely affectionate cat but every morning I inch closer and closer to carrying out my threat to stuff her in a pillow case along with a brick and throw her in the harbour. I don't think my conscience would cope with re-homing her if it came to that knowing I'd be inflicting her sickening stench on someone else.

Help.

Blackish Sheep
Feb 3, 2007

Even cartoon me doesn't know what's going on.
We just brought home a 1yr old rescue dog on Sunday and we're trying to get her more comfortable being left alone. I've tried going out for short periods of time and coming back but she pees in the bathroom. Even when I've only stepped out for 10 seconds and just in the bathroom. She's also run in there to pee when the cats scared her at one point. She has no trouble peeing outside so this seems to be an anxiety thing. How can I help her become more comfortable being by herself without crating? Other than this one issue she's the perfect dog: gets on great with our two cats, very mellow despite being part husky, and just so sweet.

Obligatory pics:

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
My dog, Kassi, injured her leg yesterday on our daily hike after going buckwild trying to chase a coyote. She's been tripod dog ever since and I've been carrying her up and down the stairs to my 2nd floor apartment. This is not the first time she's hurt herself with wreckless running, but I'm worried it might be broken. Everything I'm reading says there's really no good way to tell the difference between broken and sprain, shy of an x-ray. The last time this happened and I brought her into the vet they only did a physical exam, no xray, and gave her painkillers. Recovery was slow but she got better after a few weeks.

How long would you wait before bringing her in? I'm hesitant not because of cost, but because she absolutely hates & is terrified of the vet and I don't like to put her through that much stress. The last time we went for a routine checkup a few months ago she was literally shaking which I've never ever seen her do before
:smith:

She use to like the vet but it seems ever since she got lyme a year ago she really hates them and now we've graduated to having to muzzle her which was not something we ever had to do in the past.

obligatory pics

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

I would probably limit her activity for a week and if you see no improvement, bring her to a vet. They likely won't be able to tell much without further diagnostics, and may be hesitant to do so when the possibility of a soft tissue strain hasn't yet been ruled out.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Gothmog1065 posted:

Yep, young black rat snake. Harmless.

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
I caught this guy abusing his dog, and I don't know how to proceed. (Yes, I did call animal control, but that didn't really help this time, explained below.)

A couple weeks ago, I was walking my dog in the local fairgrounds when I heard shouting & screaming from behind the perimeter fence about how "this is why you don't get much water." (Geographical note: The fairgrounds borders a residential street, and its property protrudes into lot spaces in a couple places, so some houses are bordered by the fairgrounds on two sides. For the house I'm mentioning, one side of the border fence is opaque slats; the other is see-through wire mesh.) I look around the corner, and I get a full-frontal view at a guy urinating into a doghouse in his backyard. He then takes the dog that's standing outside with him and roughly shoves it in.

I immediately call out to the guy and ask if he just urinated into his dog’s house. He immediately responds, “no,” Shaggy defense-style, so I call up the cops (for the indecent exposure) & animal control and file a report. Long story short: they both go visit the guy, but without video evidence or another witness to back my story up, they can't do anything. (Animal control was a bit of an apologist for him: well, it's hard to housetrain dogs, sometimes you get frustrated, etc.)

OK, so today, I'm at the fairgrounds again, and part of the same scenario replays itself: I hear yelling about how "you're not gonna go out," I hear a thump, I go around the corner, and the guy's standing confrontationally at the dog, who's cowering in the back door. This isn't that egregious a scenario in itself - not on the level of shoving your dog in a urine-filled house, anyhow - but it was the same voice in the same tone and the same behavior pattern, and it's confirmation to me that this guy's abusive conduct is continuing.

I don't know what to do here. I go to these fairgrounds frequently to walk my dog, and I do, as advised by animal control, take care when I do to bring a device that can record video just in case history repeats itself (and I did get a bit of what happened this time, but the audio's not great). I want to help this dog, but I don't know what to do.

Blenheim fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 19, 2016

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

a life less posted:

I would probably limit her activity for a week and if you see no improvement, bring her to a vet. They likely won't be able to tell much without further diagnostics, and may be hesitant to do so when the possibility of a soft tissue strain hasn't yet been ruled out.
Thanks!

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
My 7-year-old son found a den of baby bunnies in the back of our house. It looks like the mother dug out a little bit where there is a hole in the concrete and made her den (nest?) there.

My question: I really think he messed with it despite repeated warnings not to. The leaf/twig cover is gone so the babies are exposed, and I think he may have accidentally-on-purpose gotten them a little bit with the hose last night before he told us he found them. I have no idea where the mom is, or if she's even supposed to be with them for most of the day.

They all seem to be alive (there are 7) and have changed positions since I last checked (they're all huddled up sleeping on each other now :3).

I have not touched them, although I don't know if my son did. I have no idea of telling how old they are. IF the mother does not come back, how do I find a rescue in my area that deals with that sort of thing? I'm in a small town in SE Wisconsin between Madison and Milwaukee, and the people would have to come to me.

So tell me what to do, Goons.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Mother rabbits only feed their babies a couple times a day, usually at night or early morning. They don't stay near the nest and people often assume they have been abandoned when they're actually just fine. Just leave them alone and make sure your kid is actually leaving them alone and their mother will probably still care for them just fine. If you check on them tomorrow and they're cold and haven't been fed (full baby bunnies have an obvious tummy) then it looks like Wisconsin DNR has a rehabber list.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Anyone have a dog that's gone through a bout of "depression"? For the past couple of days my dog has shown a major decrease in energy. He mainly stays in one room and he won't come to our bedroom at night to sleep like he usually does. We took him to the vet and everything seemed fine except for a minor skin issue that we now have some antibiotics for, and when he was there with people petting him he seemed happier. But once back at home he's very listless. He usually will follow my wife and I from room to room, but he's more like a cat now.

He's only about 6 years old, and I can't think of anything that would be a stimulus to make him change on a dime from one day to another. Night before it started he had been chasing a fly or two around the house past midnight, and I ended up dragging/leading him back to his dog bed and telling him to sleep. It makes me feel guilty, like I made him super sad. But he's on the floor next to me napping and is totally fine with us petting him, just much less of a desire for play. I'm sure I'm likely overreacting, but would help to hear if anyone has seen this in their pets--just going through a few days of the blues--and then bouncing back.

Picture from before, to provide some smiles.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
My girlfriend's 19 year old female cat has swollen-looking anal glands. She's looked into it some at it may be a prolapsed rectum. Does this require immediate veterinarian attention? Can she wait until tomorrow to see a family friend vet tech?

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.
There is this stray cat that hangs around my house. Sometimes I throw some food her way so she'll stick around my part of the neighborhood and maybe discourage mice. Also she's pretty cute and my cat likes to look at her through the window. Tonight she came by and I noticed she clearly had a large shaved area in the middle of her shoulders with what looks like a small stitched up scar right between her shoulder blades. Apparently somebody took her to a vet for some reason.

What kind of procedure might she have had done? Microchipping? I didn't think that required stitches though. Maybe she's not a stray after all.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Obvious guesses would be wounds from a fight or she is definitely someone's pet and they had a mass removed. Not really many other reasons to have to suture that area.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
"Stray" cats are often pets, yeah. Outside cats like going wandering, sometimes for days or weeks at a time. Some even get "adopted" by other families and quite happily live at multiple homes. They are cats, it is how they do. That's why it's so important to desex and chip outside cats... Or just keep them indoors, at least at night. She may well belong to someone who got something removed from her.

e: Also, anal gland cat might have a prolapsed rectum, might just need her anal glands expressed (good times for all). It's like headaches. It could be you haven't been drinking enough water, it could be brain cancer. It wouldn't hurt to take her in (so long as you're in a good place financially) and get her checked out.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
Am I correct in the thought that people who are anti-vaccine for dogs are pretty much the same as people who are antivaccine for people?

My GF's mom is trying to tell me vaccines cause all kinds of stuff in dogs and that with things like rabies they only need one shot to give them immunity their whole life. I'm reading through a bunch of terrible sources that she sent me 'supporting' her side but if there if there is a source I can send back to her, clearly stating why her ideas are wrong, it would be great.

Edit: Here is a list of the articles she sent:

quote:

Pet Vaccination: Risks and Benefits - Dogs Naturally Magazine
http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/pet-vaccination-risks-and-benefits/

Why I don't Vaccinate My Dogs At All - Dogs Naturally Magazine
http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/why-i-dont-vaccinate-my-dogs-at-all/

Pet Vaccine Dangers and Recommendations
http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2010/03/31/high-cost-of-pet-vaccinations.aspx

Vaccinations: Can it be Harmful?
http://www.ny-petrescue.org/vaccines.php

Puppy Shots and Dog Vaccinations: Needed or Not?
http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/health/articles/puppy-shots-and-dog-vaccinations.html

The Truth About Pet Vaccines You Won't Hear from Your Vet
http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/the-truth-about-pet-vaccines-you-wont-hear-from-your-vet/

Vaccinosis: Health Hazards of Scheduled Animal and Pet Vaccines
http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/AnimalWellness/Petvacc

Annual Vaccinations or Not: A Vet's Perspective | petMD
http://www.petmd.com/dog/care/evr_dg_to_vaccinate_or_not_a_vets_perspective
This vet author strangely maintains the vets reason for over-vaccinating is the not knowing whether the pet is immune or not. He should know about titer tests.

I went through and most is homeopathic crap and unproven claims. I have pointed this all out but because this seems like such a niche subject I am having trouble finding anything reputable one way or the other.

dalstrs fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 19, 2016

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
My manager told me something similar. She says her cat got cancer at the site of the rabies vaccination and refuses to get her other cats vaccinated against it.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

It's absolutely possible that her cat got a vaccine associated sarcoma. It's not necessarily a great reason to never vaccinate an animal again though. My dog developed IMHA a few weeks after receiving Lyme and lepto vaccines, and it's very possible they caused it, but my other dog will continue to get vaccines because they help more than they harm. People aren't insane to believe that there are occasional risks associated with them though, it's all pretty well documented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

A couple of weeks ago I noticed a bump on my dogs cheek while scritching his face on the couch. One of those things I kind of immediately forget upon noticing - but today I actually stopped to take a closer look. There looks to be some kind of wart/skin tag/mole/something on his cheek?

Any idea what I'm looking at? Was thinking of just running him over to the vet tomorrow to get it looked at, not sure if I'm overreacting and this is something his skin will start doing as he gets older (almost 6) or what.

e; Vet buddy seems to think it might be a low grade infection of some kind. Going to take him to the vet in the next few days to get it looked at and possibly treated, just to be safe.
e2; I found a second smaller one elsewhere on his face, gave him a good examination to make sure there aren't any others. Set up a vet appointment for Monday morning.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 24, 2016