Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Rookersh posted:

Every race is :catdrugs: if you get down deep enough into their lore.
Pretty much.
It's a shame this doesn't really come through in the games (well, aside from Morrowind), because there is some really awesome crazy stuff in the background (Redguards nuking their continent with an ancient spirit blade technique, for example).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Max level? Time to craft new gear, and get rid of my green jewelry.

Before:

After:

Yeah, that's the good stuff.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

:siren::siren:KhajiitSpeak is updated:siren::siren:

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I've been thinking of playing this again, I haven't played since before any of the DLC expansions came out. Is PC still where everyone plays, compared to PS4? And do people find it best to buy the DLC, or subscribe for it?

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Sub if you plan to play a lot, buy DLC if you prefer to play little by little over long time, I don't think there's other consideration. Crafting bags? ESO is pretty popular on PS4 so "everyone ", I don't know, but PC isn't dead or anything

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

IMO way more goons play on PC than PS4/XBox.

And yeah, sub at least one month, then try out all the DLC. If you're a crafting sperglord like me just sub outright, the craft bag is way too drat valuable than what we're paying for right now. So much free space.

Also, I can confirm that a self-sustaining tank with Stalwart Guard and a magblade can easily two-man dungeons now. There's a period of 10 seconds when pulling off Aggressive Horn that just lets the magblade just absolutely melt everything in sight.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Now that there's quite a bit of DLC out, and craft bags, and the general crown stipend, I would say that subbing is probably the way to go if you're playing the game on the long term. If you just want to check it out there's plenty to do without a sub, of course.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I wouldn't sub until getting level 50, the DLC zones are scaled but are endgame relevant but the vanilla zones aren't scaled so you should enjoy them while you can.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Have builds changed significantly at all in, say, the past 6 months? Thinking of jumping back in, but only if stam builds are now interesting.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

jon joe posted:

Have builds changed significantly at all in, say, the past 6 months? Thinking of jumping back in, but only if stam builds are now interesting.

Stam builds actually got a pretty hefty buff with this last update, including an actual universal Physical damage ultimate (Dawnbreaker).

Really the only class that still suffers from lack of stamina viability is stam sorc, mainly because Surge also got a gigantic nerf.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Rookersh posted:

Khajit have an entire society built around the joys of theft, and the ideal of Robin Hood style thieves stealing from the wealthy and giving back to the poor as a means of ethical capitalism. This is seen as fine by all Khajit, including the wealthy Khajit, as long as the money does go back to the poor.

Hahaha this sounds awesome.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Scyantific posted:

Stam builds actually got a pretty hefty buff with this last update, including an actual universal Physical damage ultimate (Dawnbreaker).

Really the only class that still suffers from lack of stamina viability is stam sorc, mainly because Surge also got a gigantic nerf.

Hmm that does sound more interesting, do you have any details on the changes?

Shame about the stamsorc, though, that was my main.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Scyantific posted:

I haven't updated my gear on my Stam Sorc yet so it is quite few levels lower than what it could be. I made minimal skill changes with the update. Yet, I have found he is running better than he used to. I think it might actually be the buff on weapon enchantments. I run all Stam absorb runes on the weapons. He seems to have much better sustain than he used to. I have never really worked out burst damage on any character.

I am also using both of the heal attacks from dual wield a fair amount. Mostly I haven't had to obsessively run rally or vigor. When I do have rally, vigor, surge and the DW heals running he is very viable. It's very sustainable single target. Of course Brawler is stupid good for large AoE and Reverse Slice is really useful now. I am running it instead of Execute. They shortened channel times on Flurry (added a heal morph) and Wrecking Blow. I find the shortened times improved my dps on both.

Ennuid once told me that the Craglorn bees are a good place to test a build. There are two hives with a lot of bees right outside of town, so I have been doing that. My Stam Sorc chewed right through them and can basically run around killing anything that is not an actual group event in craglorn including the critter bosses, lizards and such in lower. No Stam problems thus far testing him various places. I need to run him through some group events. He is not set up for pvp at all. I plan to make all my chars a basic impen pvp set at cp140 until I have everything for 160 and maybe a better idea of what I might want their end game gear to look like. Those two go together since I want to supplement with some monster helms and such. Think I want engine for my dk, but don't really know for the others.

It's different than it was before the Surge change, but really viable and lots of fun, in my opinion at least. The surge change means you get a flat heal from crits rather than a heal based on damage. Base is 3k. When hitting more than one target it goes up to 4.5k. Can't remember how often it ticks. It's interesting. For a burst damage build it is worse because you also lose burst heal and Stam builds often lack that. If for whatever eccentric reason developers were thinking people might actually run hybrid builds of some sort changing it so that you get flat damage would seem like an improvement. It still works well enough, but isn't the sort of panacea it could be before. I never did understand exactly how it worked with shields where you can't crit, but now I imagine you get a flat return even if the crit did no damage and unaffected by all the strange damage capping and halving in pvp.

I went to test my magplar on the bees last night and kept dying. Wtf? Did they stealth nerf something into oblivion? No. Actually assigning your champion points seems to be a good idea in order to have your build work. He was fine after that.

I am paralyzed with indecision about continuing eccentric Magicka builds on my dk or switching him over to vomit knight. My stamplar is just sitting around crafting stuff and farming. I find I enjoy my magplar a lot more.

On a side note I started making poisons last night just to see what they were. Most seem geared to pvp, but there are a few health steals that look like they might be very good for tanking. I am thinking tanking because I don't think they will really add much dos or be worth the enchantment trade off, but a lot have nice non player debuffs (maims and fractures, movement, etc.) combined with the poison and a decent life steal. My own pitiable attempts at tank builds weave a lot of regular attacks for resource and I think this would be an interesting addition. Need to figure out what stacks with other debuffs for how long and such, but might be cool.

Fun and occasionally disastrous runs with (v drunk) goons doing Rando late last night with me pretending to heal.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 5, 2016

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I started playing again because of dark brotherhood dlc. My character isn't 50 should I hold off on opening these purple bags until I'm 50 if I plan to keep playing?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Pretty much yeah.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

I think it rolls the item at the point you get the bag, not when you open it, but, might as well hang on, just in case.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Too many people answered my questions for me to respond to everybody, but thanks for the info everyone!

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Aramek posted:

I think it rolls the item at the point you get the bag, not when you open it, but, might as well hang on, just in case.

Its when you open them. I had a bunch of reward crates on my alts when they were VR1, then post-DB when they all magically became CP160+ I opened them and they were leveled appropriately.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

So, the Morihaus style is pretty baller:

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Berke Negri posted:

So, the Morihaus style is pretty baller:

Yeah it is, where does it come from?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

NeurosisHead posted:

Yeah it is, where does it come from?

Gold Coast dailies and as random drops from the Minotaur Tribune's Folly boss.

Also, requesting for this to be added to the OP:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So I'm getting itchy and wanted to play this again rather than reinstalling Skyrim for the ninth time. Is the new content soloable, or do I need a solid group for it? Just wanna dick around pretending to be a thief, occasionally stabbing people in the throat. ES is more a chill-out game than something I wanna do hardcore.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Well it's mmorpg so quite a bit of depth and quest complexity are traded for ability to play with others and if you don't, you won't have a comparable experience to best singleplayer games. But is there lots of good soloable content? Yes

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
It's also super-chill, and the latest DLCs have made it thieving/murdering heaven. I just.. cant stop murdering innocents. They are also heavy on solo play (which is great (sorry Scy <3)).

e: yeah grouping with goons is also stress free and neat. Maybe if you're sober too.

valuum fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jun 6, 2016

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Cheers, that's neat. Don't really have much interest in raids, or whatever equivalent they have, so if I can dick around it'll be cool.

Can you respec your attributes now, or is dumping everything into stamina still a good idea? :v:

bradybunch
Jun 14, 2006

Dumping all your stats into stamina is a great idea for stam dps and stam tank play styles. Also trials (raids) are super chill and don't require dedication like other mmo's but yeah, you can play most of this game solo if that's your thing.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

poptart_fairy posted:

Cheers, that's neat. Don't really have much interest in raids, or whatever equivalent they have, so if I can dick around it'll be cool.

Can you respec your attributes now, or is dumping everything into stamina still a good idea? :v:

Yeah, you can respec attributes, skill points and morphs of those skills all in one convenient location in your faction's capital (Mournhold, Elden Root, Wayrest) at any time. Stam is what you'll want if you're using weapon skills or a specific class build like a stam DK or a stamplar or something else I ain't finished my coffee yet gimme a break.

There's lots of good solo content in this game. LOTS. You won't have any trouble enjoying that. Just be aware you can't become a demigod super easily like you can in most TES games.

And eventually you'll wanna try doing group stuff. You will, believe me. It'll happen because goons are cool and chill and helpful. I started off playing this solo and now most of what I do is running around killing stuff with other goons. And you know what? It's a loving great time.

Also, if you need gear or advice about a build or whatever else, hit up @ennuid, @Scyantific or @thefloobyest (that's me) and we can get you set up with whatever you need.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jun 6, 2016

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh cool, I didn't know the DLC packs scaled to your level!

Time to nick poo poo.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
The main content in ESO is competely soloable, hell I think the Main Quest is almost 100% personal instances apart from a few exceptions.

However, there are a few exceptions that don't affect the story. There are group delves, which are just big dungeons you're expected to group up to do, or piggyback onto a different group since it's not instanced. Then there are dungeons, which pretty much need a group to do, and higher level goons will often rally a band to do pledges. Last there are trials which goons do occasionally but are basically dungeons for 16 man groups.

Imperial City is completely group oriented, as is Craglorn. You can solo quests in the PvP area Cyrodiil, but PvP itself is generally a zerg activity.

All other DLCs apart from stated ones are soloable.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I run around doing all sorts of satisfying solo stuff a lot of the time, but the group content is typically a blast with other goons I have found.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Have they optimized cyrodill since launch?

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

BadLlama posted:

Have they optimized cyrodill since launch?

Ummmm... Yes, it often runs like a slide show to optimize your viewing experience.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Well, when there's that much pretty blue everywhere, they gotta force you to enjoy it.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

patch notes posted:

All ability and morph respec costs have been restored to the original cost of 50 gold per point instead of temporary cost of 1 gold per point that we put in place for the first week after Dark Brotherhood launch.
Uuhh what? They should announce that poo poo properly. gently caress.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Did they streamline the vampires/werewolves by the way, or is it still kinda clunky to get infected?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

It's still a weird time limited window to get infected by an NPC but the game's been out for so long by now that there is usually at least someone around to give you a bite. You can also buy vampirism/werewolf from the crown store (don't do that).

Neato
Mar 2, 2016

Can i get an invite to the main goon guild? i'm @ Neatoh, thanks

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

:siren::siren:BUILD TALK: SCYANTIFIC'S SALTY SAP-TANK TM:siren::siren:

Look at my tank. Now look at yours. Mine is better.

Now with 100% more PUG approval!

Stats/Info

The majority of it is self explanatory, but let me touch up on a few points of interest:
  • Head/Shoulders: I flex these two spots a lot given that I have multiple tanking combos that I can run. If I need more defense and faster ultimate generation I roll with Blood Spawn. If I'm in a sustain-heavy fight or we're fighting tons of trash mobs, I run Engine Guardian. Malubeth was something I'm currently testing for PvP purposes and probably won't see much use on a PvE-centric tank. I am also wanting to test Lord Warden Dusk for the AoE Physical and Spell resist boost that it offers in case we're in a stack-and-burn type of situation.

• Main Armor set: Simply put I run Kagrenac's Hope because of the Magicka regen, Health bonus, and spell damage boost. Here's a secret about sap-tanks in general: They're not really tanks. (Yes ennuid, I'm admitting it). We're basically DPS toons with shitloads of resistance, self-heals, running heavy armor, sword and shield, and taking the larger hits. That's probably the main reason I run this build, because I can rotate my gear/skillbars out and run a solid DPS when needed.

Skills
Bar 1:
  • Piece Armor - Basic taunt + Spell and Physical Resist reduction on enemies
  • Refreshing Path - Secondary AoE ability used to draw aggro, and proc my Nightblade's Shadow Barrier passive, increasing my resistances by almost 6k. Also has a heal and speed boost as long as I remain on the path.
  • Sap Essence - My main AoE DPS skill and self/group heal. The beauty of a sap tank (and sap-based nightblade in general) is that they actually get stronger as the number of enemies increases, both increasing my heals and my damage output.
  • Defensive Stance - I run this for two things: for the passive block bonuses (8% increase in block mitigation & 8% decrease in block cost), and as an off-dps/CC ability. With trash mobs I just taunt everything and any ranged mobs stupid enough to fire a projectile at me get it back with a nice stun on top (cherry optional)
  • Stalwart Guard - This is my favorite ability post-DB. It lets me take on 30% of the damage that a party member receives, while granting both of us Minor Force, increasing our critical damage by 12%. This is a pretty hefty DPS boost that will help a lot. Alternatively, if you don't have this skill, you can run Mirage, which gives you Major Evasion, giving you a 20% dodge chance, and also giving you Minor Ward and Minor Resolve, providing a small but semi-useful boost to Armor and Spell Resist.
  • Ultimate: Veil of Blades - This is an AoE that snares, and reduces damage for all party members inside the AoE by 30%. I hardly use it, and only keep it slotted for the Dark Vigor passive, which increases my health for every Shadow class ability I have slotted (I have Refreshing Path and Veil of Blades slotted which gives me a 6% HP boost)

Bar 2:
  • Inner Rage - Ranged taunt. Simple as that. Has a synergy that can be used to trigger an AoE attack centered on the affected target.
  • Funnel Health - I use this to both deal damage on minor bosses, which heals me and a random party member over time. I also use it while weaving light/heavy attacks to quickly build up ultimate, as Funnel also procs the Siphoning passive Transfer, giving me additional ultimate.
  • Heroic Slash - I use this for the Minor Maim and Minor Heroism status effects, which decrease my enemy's damage by 15% and grants me additional ultimate, respectively
  • Siphoning Strikes - This is another staple of Nightblade tanking. Using this skill gives all my attacks a chance to return resources, allowing me to continue a fight for a very long time.
  • Stalwart Guard - Same as bar 1. Guard must be slotted on both bars to maintain the buff
  • Ultimate: Aggressive Horn - Grants all allies in the area a +10% boost to all stats for about 30 seconds, and grants them Major Force for 9 seconds, which increases all critical damage by 30%. Probably the single most useful/required tank ability in the game. In fights where survivability is key, I usually slot Reviving Barrier, which grants allies a gigantic damage shield in addition to proving a massive heal over time.

Any questions/comments/insults, feel free to fling them at me here or in-game.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Thanks for this. Any benefit from running a Stage 2 vamp, or not worth it? You get the mag and Stam regen from supernatural and health is even with unnatural resistance. With the changes staying at stage two for an entire trial is no problem as long as you aren't using any vamp skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

Scyantific posted:

Look at my tank. Now look at yours. Mine is better.

This is cool. I love the idea of a tank that's "not a tank" when you swap skills and take off the heavy. Because god knows I don't wanna go through the hassle of leveling a traditional tank. Ever. So I might give this a shot at some point.

• Locked thread