Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

The Walrus posted:

sounds like a great way to give someone a seizure

You say this now but there's an entire movement to feeling like your on drugs from listening to music.

VR is just the next step to give mental addicts their fix.

I'm still waiting for a Vice episode where they subject some LSD addicts to vr just to see what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Waiting for the obligatory VR Rez reboot.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

sliderule posted:

Waiting for the obligatory VR Rez reboot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEuL3nZz9_w

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Thor-Stryker posted:

You say this now but there's an entire movement to feeling like your on drugs from listening to music.

VR is just the next step to give mental addicts their fix.

I'm still waiting for a Vice episode where they subject some LSD addicts to vr just to see what happens.

Wasn't there some weird like meditative drug-like experience in VR that a bunch of people ranted and raved about but was never released? gently caress what was it called?!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Edge of Nowhere just released on the Oculus Store. Looks pretty interesting but I'm not into horror games. Or the oculus store.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

House of the Dying Sun (the game formerly known as Enemy Starfighter) goes into early access on Steam tomorrow and I highly recommend checking it out if you are at all interested in shooting spaceships.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Don't buy Oculus exclusive titles. Don't support that dumb ideology. Find other ways to play the title you are interested in, never buy anything on Oculus Home.

Spruchy
May 12, 2013

I am not a machine. I feel and believe. I have opinions. Some of them are interesting. I could, if you would let me, talk and talk. Let us talk about anything.

Knifegrab posted:

Don't buy Oculus exclusive titles. Don't support that dumb ideology. Find other ways to play the title you are interested in, never buy anything on Oculus Home.

I'm just going to buy it on the Oculus store because I have an Oculus and would like to play it today.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Spruchy posted:

I'm just going to buy it on the Oculus store because I have an Oculus and would like to play it today.

Can't wait for the VR future where all content is split by what HMD you own :byewhore:

Idiots and selfish dumb dumbs like this are why Facebook is going to be successful in turning the open ecosystem of the PC into a console-like exclusive nightmare.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Oh lol edge of nowhere is just a bog standard third person horror, but the camera that normally would follow is in VR, whoa man, such good use of VR! Something tells me its like a spooky luckey's tail (Completely middle of the road game with no reason being in VR being crammed into VR for reasons...)

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

A PS exclusive?!?! N... no! :negative:

e: Any word on Trance Vibrator support? I'm asking for a friend.

Tan Dumplord fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 6, 2016

Spruchy
May 12, 2013

I am not a machine. I feel and believe. I have opinions. Some of them are interesting. I could, if you would let me, talk and talk. Let us talk about anything.

Knifegrab posted:

Can't wait for the VR future where all content is split by what HMD you own :byewhore:

Idiots and selfish dumb dumbs like this are why Facebook is going to be successful in turning the open ecosystem of the PC into a console-like exclusive nightmare.

What if I got all the headsets?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Spruchy posted:

What if I got all the headsets?

You're still encouraging a really dumb and bad paradigm shift congratulations!

Spruchy
May 12, 2013

Knifegrab posted:

You're still encouraging a really dumb and bad paradigm shift congratulations!

So is there anyway for me to play this game without being responsible for the great VR War?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Just stop posting in this thread Knifegrab. You're going to make it miserable for everyone until you get probated. Like every other time this has happened.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Valve updated the Lab today to add new game modes and leaderboards to Xortex, Longbow, and Slingshot. I really hope we see Longbow turned into a full-featured standalone title.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Spruchy posted:

So is there anyway for me to play this game without being responsible for the great VR War?

:filez: but in all seriousness the game sounds pretty boring I don't think you'd be missing much.

I mean I get that people want content. Its a sticky situation. It'd really suck to end up in a place of exclusivity per HMD in the near future, Steam still seems to be holding true to its agnostic approach but Oculus is doubling down. I get that you'd want content for the headset you got. Its tough, and most gamers are incredibly hypocritical morons anywhere (someone post the image of the CoD boycott).

Manky posted:

Valve updated the Lab today to add new game modes and leaderboards to Xortex, Longbow, and Slingshot. I really hope we see Longbow turned into a full-featured standalone title.

Or just play this instead since this sounds fun and rad and you said you own all the headsets anyway. Longbow owns super hard.

edit: found it.

So really any boycott of exclusives will probably fail because imagine this but with people who have the expendable income to afford VR poo poo.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 6, 2016

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
No, we just really really want you to stop threadshitting

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Has anybody bought Edge of Nowhere yet? I've been considering picking it up tonight after work and I was wondering what people think about it. I beat Chronos so I'm ready for my next game.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Nvm

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 6, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is there a point where you can "win" in the slingshot game? I was kind of annoyed that blowing up an area that has tracer core boxes doesn't unlock the tracer cores so I can't get more then 30 million in damage so far. I remember people mentioning that if you "beat" everything like how you can beat the archery one, something unlocks. I don't know if that was just a prank or not.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

Is there a point where you can "win" in the slingshot game? I was kind of annoyed that blowing up an area that has tracer core boxes doesn't unlock the tracer cores so I can't get more then 30 million in damage so far. I remember people mentioning that if you "beat" everything like how you can beat the archery one, something unlocks. I don't know if that was just a prank or not.

I think you got pranked, I don't think there is a way to beat that game. Its really fun though and the update makes it sound even more fun.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Spruchy posted:

You should do what you want with your money, just know that Oculus will not refund any purchases you made unless your jurisdiction (i.e. EU) forces them to ~or~ you get a popular reddit post going that drums up enough negative PR to force their hand.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I really hope Steam locks Oculus out of its store. Not because I think those kind of things are good at all, overall it would be bad, but just because the drama it would cause would be pretty entertaining.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 6, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Knifegrab posted:

I really hope Steam locks Oculus out of its store.

It is not in Valve's best interest, or anyone's really except for Oculus, to force people to buy games from the Oculus Store, so that would be pretty dumb.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

GlyphGryph posted:

It is not in Valve's best interest, or anyone's really except for Oculus, to force people to buy games from the Oculus Store, so that would be pretty dumb.

It would be incredibly dumb. And bad for everyone. But it would be admittedly satisfying and the drama it would cause would be really interesting to watch from afar. Reddit would implode. People singing praises about exclusives would be crying.

But I mean I wonder what Valve's plan is? Its pretty clear down the road that Oculus is going to double down on their exclusivity mindset. If Gen2 rolls around and the two choices are a headset that can play some games but not Oculus games or a headset that can play all games, I might end up choosing the latter, even if the hardware isn't as good, and that kinda sucks.

Valve must be considering this. To the prospective buyer of VR, Oculus becomes more attractive when you are not limited in the software you can access. And if Oculus continues its barring of other HMD's from its store than Valve's gen2 will be limited. There is no way they don't see that coming but what could their response possibly be?

redhalo
May 19, 2009

Knifegrab posted:

Oh lol edge of nowhere is just a bog standard third person horror, but the camera that normally would follow is in VR, whoa man, such good use of VR! Something tells me its like a spooky luckey's tail (Completely middle of the road game with no reason being in VR being crammed into VR for reasons...)

Your the final say in what kinds of games people should enjoy now too? All VR games have to be first person? If you don't utilize all the space you have to the maximum amount of roomscale you should just quit? Your future view of VR is very limiting and unimaginative.

From what I've gathered Edge of Nowhere is essentially Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness. That alone is enough for me to take interest.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

redhalo posted:

Your the final say in what kinds of games people should enjoy now too? All VR games have to be first person? If you don't utilize all the space you have to the maximum amount of roomscale you should just quit? Your future view of VR is very limiting and unimaginative.

From what I've gathered Edge of Nowhere is essentially Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness. That alone is enough for me to take interest.

What god no, but games which are traditional games that are merely adapted to VR are typically kind of piddling VR games. Edge of Nowhere seems like it was made to just be a normal third person horror game that they then just slapped into VR as opposed to being built from the ground up in VR. It might be fun, the reviews are good, but are those good game reviews or good vr game reviews because the latter is incredibly forgiving.

Horror games in VR are incredibly fun though, and ridiculously scary, I'd still be interested in hearing someone post about their experience with it, even though I don't support purchasing things on Oculus stores or supporting titles that are exclusive.

I'm in kind of a weird place where I can't decide if more VR content is good or if its bad when its exclusive. I really want VR content to take off, I want everyone to be able to play fun and good games, but I don't want users of one headset to feel like second class citizens. I think its a fair thought.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 6, 2016

redhalo
May 19, 2009

Knifegrab posted:

What god no, but games which are traditional games that are merely adapted to VR are typically kind of piddling VR games. Edge of Nowhere seems like it was made to just be a normal third person horror game that they then just slapped into VR as opposed to being built from the ground up in VR. It might be fun, the reviews are good, but are those good game reviews or good vr game reviews because the latter is incredibly forgiving.

Horror games in VR are incredibly fun though, and ridiculously scary, I'd still be interested in hearing someone post about their experience with it, even though I don't support purchasing things on Oculus stores or supporting titles that are exclusive.

Oh, so because your obsessed with Oculus's practices you poo poo of a game you've never played and declare it terrible because it doesn't turn the entire paradigm on what a game should be upside down? Why is third person so forbidden in VR to you or does your objections not really have anything to do with the game at all?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Why would valve care? They don't sell hardware, they sell software. They don't care what hardware people use to access their store. Making their store exclusive to a device they don't own makes absolutely no sense.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

Why would valve care? They don't sell hardware, they sell software. They don't care what hardware people use to access their store. Making their store exclusive to a device they don't own makes absolutely no sense.

Do you think they'll even do a Gen2 then?

But more to the point, what is Oculus's goal here. By barring out other HMD headsets they lose sales. So that hurts them where are they planning to recoup that cost? Is the end goal to encourage the market to buy Oculus HMD's where they will add tons of markup (I guess the apple model)? Or is the goal to just force every other HMD out of the market so then they are the de-facto VR distribution platform?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Knifegrab posted:

But more to the point, what is Oculus's goal here. By barring out other HMD headsets they lose sales. So that hurts them where are they planning to recoup that cost? Is the end goal to encourage the market to buy Oculus HMD's where they will add tons of markup (I guess the apple model)? Or is the goal to just force every other HMD out of the market so then they are the de-facto VR distribution platform?

People should complain to HTC for working exclusively with Valve. Oculus has said they are more than willing to work with headset manufacturers to implement their SDK. Unless part of the deal with Valve was they would be the sole provider of the software, which again isn't really in Oculus's hands.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Poetic Justice posted:

People should complain to HTC for working exclusively with Valve. Oculus has said they are more than willing to work with headset manufacturers to implement their SDK. Unless part of the deal with Valve was they would be the sole provider of the software, which again isn't really in Oculus's hands.

How is HTC working exclusively with valve a bad thing? Because they preferred an API that was hardware agnostic?

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
- Douglas Adams
Knifegrab this thread was doing great, can you just leave all your bullshit in the thread you made for yourself or is that not enough of a soapbox?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Why is it impossible for you chumps to ignore the guy? It's real easy I promise.

Poetic Justice posted:

Oculus can say whatever they want though, in practice they are doing exclusives exactly like the conspiracists said they would when Facebook entered the fray. You can't own a non-Oculus headset and use their store with their support and we don't actually know why because Oculus won't tell us. Probably because it's bad and they know it is and don't want to invite that criticism.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

KakerMix posted:

Why is it impossible for you chumps to ignore the guy? It's real easy I promise.

Oculus can say whatever they want though, in practice they are doing exclusives exactly like the conspiracists said they would when Facebook entered the fray. You can't own a non-Oculus headset and use their store with their support and we don't actually know why because Oculus won't tell us. Probably because it's bad and they know it is and don't want to invite that criticism.

Unfortunately this is probably true. Its pretty crazy that almost all of the :tinfoil: predictions came true. Hell lots of what Palmer has said in tweets/comments were straight up lies or he had to later recant it because even his expectations were shot down by men at the top.

I think the piece of information Poetic Justice is using too saying that Oculus offered to work with others was something Palmer had said, but that we have no actual evidence to support other than a single reddit comment. At this point that kind of info just isn't reliable anymore. The real reasons for their decisions moving forward is because its profitable, at the expense of any consumer friendly decision.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Poetic Justice posted:

Oculus, to be fair, has a long history of bald-faced lying in regards to their intents relating to things like "exclusives", and considering they have actively sabotaged attempts to allow their software to work on other headsets I doubt they have any interest in working with anyone on anything.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Knifegrab posted:

Who? Valve? They didn't even do a Gen 1. That's all on HTC. Now that the vive is out, I doubt Valve will be doing anything besides adding in support for any new headsets as they come out. Maybe they'll do a revision of how lighthouse works, but I don't expect them to do anything with hardware.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

Who? Valve? They didn't even do a Gen 1. That's all on HTC. Now that the vive is out, I doubt Valve will be doing anything besides adding in support for any new headsets as they come out. Maybe they'll do a revision of how lighthouse works, but I don't expect them to do anything with hardware.

Knowing Valve you are probably right. And its pretty obvious HTC will do a gen2 but will anyone want one if it can only play half of the games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
It's a shame about the way Oculus seems to be moving. I want to support companies that are putting the time and money into bigger VR games like Edge of Nowhere, but I don't want to support closed platforms. If EoN ends up being good though I'll probably still buy it to support devs and show there is an appetite for more than tech demos.