Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Real DBZ filler was usually watchable.

This DBM chapter is quite possibly the worst comic I've ever read. Like it has literally zero redeeming qualities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

projecthalaxy posted:

Is that King Cold in Cooler's Super Mode?

It is, no joke in the best way, his second Super Mode.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

projecthalaxy posted:

Is that King Cold in Cooler's Super Mode?

No.

He has gone even further beyond.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

StrifeHira posted:

As a reminder, this is waiting for everyone when DBM gets back to the main "plot":

I might said this before, but Toriyama specfically wanted Freeza to look normal and more human in his final form as a subversion of the sterotype, something he repeated with Cell and, to a lesser extent, Buu. It's odd to then go supers 90s over-the-top with the true super duper super mode.

Flippinlikebirds
Feb 2, 2007
I'm an ideas man Michael. I think I proved that with Fuck Mountain.

StrifeHira posted:

As a reminder, this is waiting for everyone when DBM gets back to the main "plot":

That art is on point. They are extremely lucky to have that artist

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I just noticed the four arms. I guess it makes sense that someone with that many shoulders would have four arms.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Covok posted:

I might said this before, but Toriyama specfically wanted Freeza to look normal and more human in his final form as a subversion of the sterotype, something he repeated with Cell and, to a lesser extent, Buu. It's odd to then go supers 90s over-the-top with the true super duper super mode.

It's a crapshoot which happens more nowadays.

I think we're verging back on the SUPER COMPLICATED AND MONSTROUS final form being the dominate one though.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Covok posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a single piece of non-mainline Dragon Ball media which actually got Toriyama's aesthetics or storytelling. The entire fandom has grown up out of the deranged minds of 13 year old boys

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I mean, look at Super.

The God of Destruction is rake-thin purple cat. His vastly more powerful superior is an effeminate looking blue man. And the god of the multiverse, apparently capable of erasing the entire thing in an eyeblink, is a short blue and purple cute dwarf.

Then you look at the movies that culminated in Broly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A lot of Dragonball fan stuff runs into the problem of taking itself way more seriously than Dragonball ever did.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

That's why Janemba is the best. He followed the rules, got smaller and cooler, and had a sword. Janemba. Janemba!

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

A lot of Dragonball fan stuff runs into the problem of taking itself way more seriously than Dragonball ever did.

DRAGON DRAGON ROCK THE DRAGON

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

ImpAtom posted:

Probably because most people around the world started the series with Z.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Super really does have a lot of tone whiplash compared to Z, since do much of it is easy more about having fun than it is about fighting. As someone who started with Z and still hasn't seen a ton of the original, Goku being around is actually enjoyable instead of just being lame.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Flippinlikebirds posted:

That art is on point. They are extremely lucky to have that artist

Seriously. If the art wasn't so phenomenal on a lot of the pages, I wouldn't read it. I really dig all the crazy designs they've come up with.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Momomo posted:

Super really does have a lot of tone whiplash compared to Z, since do much of it is easy more about having fun than it is about fighting. As someone who started with Z and still hasn't seen a ton of the original, Goku being around is actually enjoyable instead of just being lame.
Watch the original. It's extremely good.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

As much as I'm enjoying Super, I want to get back to the original's world of everyone kinda being within the same realm of eachother. Super's power-creep has gotten intense, especially with the dozen or so supporting characters who are both A) Completely overshadowed, and B) Potentially capable of blowing up the entire planet.. or at least obliterating a major city.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Every Z fighter can blow up a planet if they give their all, I think.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Super's levity makes it a closer fit to Dragonball than Z. Dragonball is the best series by sizeable lead but Super being more like DB than Z is only a positive to me.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Momomo posted:

You should watch the very last season of Dragonball, it's basically season zero of DBZ. Everything before that is Kid Goku and has a different flavor, but the final season is basically just DBZ.

Covok posted:

Master Roshi level is the minimum power required to destroy celestial bodies.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

No.

He has gone even further beyond.

Or you can just call it a Super Cooler 2.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Covok posted:

I'm iffy on Chiaotzu since he self-destructed and all it did was leave a sunburn on Nappa's back, but yeah, you're probably right.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

New Leaf posted:

I'm iffy on Chiaotzu since he self-destructed and all it did was leave a sunburn on Nappa's back, but yeah, you're probably right.

Chiaotzu never had any real fighting power. The only reason he was able to do well in the tournament was because he used mind control on the judges and no one but him had figured out how to fly yet. I'm pretty sure Master Roshi could kick his rear end.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rutibex posted:

Chiaotzu never had any real fighting power. The only reason he was able to do well in the tournament was because he used mind control on the judges and no one but him had figured out how to fly yet. I'm pretty sure Master Roshi could kick his rear end.

To be fair, Roshi might be the most powerful character in Dragon Ball until maybe Radtiz, possibly after. Roshi beating up some one isn't that big of a stretch.

I do mean him at Max Power though, which he can't reasonably fight in for any length of time and is pretty much just good for one Kamehameha.

No other Dragon Ball character until Vegeta showed the same destructive power as Roshi at Max, and with Vegeta it was just implied barring filler.

RoF actually backs this up too. Roshi kicked the poo poo out of Freeza's men at Max power despite presumably never training anymore.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

New Leaf posted:

They also need some kind of blast that specifically explodes outwards (kamehameha/big bang attack/garlic gun/masenko/etc.). That's what made the kamehameha so awesome, you drew a whole lot more ki to make it when you did it right, than you normally fought with, and it ended in a big gently caress-off explosion.

Chauzu only MAYBE had the dodonpa or whatever, which was a tinier beam with more power but no giant explosion that was made to specifically overcome the kamehameha.

Also Yamcha has a kamehameha, but there's nothing saying it's any good, so he probably can't blow up the world.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's pretty hard to get a feel for anyone's power level post-Namek since they never get to fight equal opponents after that point unless they're a Saiyan or Piccolo, but Yamcha at bare minimum was probably weaker than Tien and Krillin but both of those dudes are still absurdly insanely strong.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

They should just put everyone back in Whis's cube and take them to an unoccupied solar system and see who can and can't detonate a planet. Seems like a Super episode worth having.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

projecthalaxy posted:

They should just put everyone back in Whis's cube and take them to an unoccupied solar system and see who can and can't detonate a planet. Seems like a Super episode worth having.

The next tournament arc will have that scene with the strength measuring machine from the Buu saga tourney but it will be everyone trying to pull their punches and not destroy planets instead

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Gohan, especially SSJ Gohan, can definitely not blow up a planet. Too weak and worldly.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

It's pretty hard to get a feel for anyone's power level post-Namek since they never get to fight equal opponents after that point unless they're a Saiyan or Piccolo, but Yamcha at bare minimum was probably weaker than Tien and Krillin but both of those dudes are still absurdly insanely strong.

Yeah, but "blowing up big stuff" is a matter of technique until you get to Cell Saga stuff when they were scared of doing it by accident. Goku didn't get a kamehameha as good as Roshi's untl he grew up after training with it for a while. The chances of Yamcha working on anything to be halfway decent at it are really low.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

StrifeHira posted:

Meanwhile, back on Super:

:goku:

:eyepop:

Those pants....could it be?????

See you next time on DB Super.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

New Leaf posted:

As much as I'm enjoying Super, I want to get back to the original's world of everyone kinda being within the same realm of eachother. Super's power-creep has gotten intense, especially with the dozen or so supporting characters who are both A) Completely overshadowed, and B) Potentially capable of blowing up the entire planet.. or at least obliterating a major city.

I mean everyone not Goku or a grown Saiyan was outclassed during DBZ

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it was always a two horse race in dragonball

the humans got left behind at the beginning of z, or hell even before since piccolo and goku were retroactively made aliens all along

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Blockhouse posted:

raise your hand if you never made an OC

yes playing xenoverse counts

My OC was a fabulous dancing man who dicked around with people online, I will never apologize ever.

Covok posted:

This is true and all but on the other hand it looks cool as gently caress so whatevs.
Also I think Perfect Cell was an idea that the editor had so there's that too

Augus fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 6, 2016

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
GE Brisk has the best Freezaman name ever and is a punchman who punches mans

I have no shame for this for it is good

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I saw a super saiyan krillin in xenoverse once

it was basically just krillin's head on goku's body

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

projecthalaxy posted:

I would love to see "blowing up a planet" as the qualifying round of the Multi-verse tournament. If you can't destroy a small celestial object then don't even bother applying!

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Manatee Cannon posted:

it was always a two horse race in dragonball

the humans got left behind at the beginning of z, or hell even before since piccolo and goku were retroactively made aliens all along

Remember that time Krillin and Chiaotzu fought and it was fun to watch?

Yeah, me neither.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

StrifeHira posted:

Meanwhile, back on Super:

:goku:

Is it the dude from the special I never watched who controls ghosts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

HitTheTargets posted:

Remember that time Krillin and Chiaotzu fought and it was fun to watch?

Yeah, me neither.

Goku vs Krillin is a classic though

• Locked thread